Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Windows and Xbox, come together as one." The new Era of Gaming

13»

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2016
    Microsoft is about to take over gaming with Scorpio.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Recore said:
    Microsoft is about to take over gaming with Scorpio.
    at least from my view the loosers in the gaming industry moving forward are those without VR solutions

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    emota said:
    Was only a matter of time, consoles are the future and big business.
    they are big business but how do you figure 'future'

To be clear the only reason they are doing these upgraded machines is to compete with what is happening in the PC space.
    That isn't really true though. 

As you haven't ever owned a console, upgrades have been around ever since the N64, and new versions of the same console with updated hardware and form factor started around the original Playstation.

What is happening with Windows isn't to compete with the PC space, it's actually to bridge the PC space.  With that in mind, if you really think about it, bridging VR into that space is a logical conclusion.  If anything, if Microsoft were competing with itself, it would actually more accurately be phasing the Consoles out entirely,  as now any Xbox games that required the hardware are available via PC.

I would imagine within another 10 years or so, we likely won't be referring to UWP as UWP,  we would just consider it creating a game for Windows. 

Microsoft already mentioned they would increase their Hardware release schedules OR create a Modular Xbox to allow for upgrades.   This is not specifically to be able to run VR hardware, yet, it IS specifically done to move Xbox hardware into a realm where the XB1 is capable of doing the same things the PC can do as to not bottleneck development on any side of the equation.

Sony is in an interesting position as they will be releasing a set that will be compatible with hardware from 2013.  Thats almost unheard of in the VR space, and I wouldn't doubt to see performance issues there, but it's also their ace in the hole,  having a set that already works with millions of consoles.  No doubt the expanded power of their updated console will make the VR hardware more palatable, but we have yet to see how any of that will work.
    sorry but your first paragraph didnt make any sense.

Consoles upgrade have always been around and are common place? 

Bridge the gap with PC because PC is lagging?

what are you smoking?

Also: do you think console has been the leader in VR space or PC?
    Console upgrades have been around for years.  They are common place.  These last console releases may be the end of the console release cycle for Microsoft,  we may just be looking at hardware upgrades to the XB1 from here on out.

You obviously have a hard time reading, I didn't say anything about PC lagging, UWP is literally a bridge between PC, Console, Mobile. 

Mobile is the leader in VR.

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    emota said:
    Was only a matter of time, consoles are the future and big business.
    they are big business but how do you figure 'future'

To be clear the only reason they are doing these upgraded machines is to compete with what is happening in the PC space.
    That isn't really true though. 

As you haven't ever owned a console, upgrades have been around ever since the N64, and new versions of the same console with updated hardware and form factor started around the original Playstation.

What is happening with Windows isn't to compete with the PC space, it's actually to bridge the PC space.  With that in mind, if you really think about it, bridging VR into that space is a logical conclusion.  If anything, if Microsoft were competing with itself, it would actually more accurately be phasing the Consoles out entirely,  as now any Xbox games that required the hardware are available via PC.

I would imagine within another 10 years or so, we likely won't be referring to UWP as UWP,  we would just consider it creating a game for Windows. 

Microsoft already mentioned they would increase their Hardware release schedules OR create a Modular Xbox to allow for upgrades.   This is not specifically to be able to run VR hardware, yet, it IS specifically done to move Xbox hardware into a realm where the XB1 is capable of doing the same things the PC can do as to not bottleneck development on any side of the equation.

Sony is in an interesting position as they will be releasing a set that will be compatible with hardware from 2013.  Thats almost unheard of in the VR space, and I wouldn't doubt to see performance issues there, but it's also their ace in the hole,  having a set that already works with millions of consoles.  No doubt the expanded power of their updated console will make the VR hardware more palatable, but we have yet to see how any of that will work.
    sorry but your first paragraph didnt make any sense.

Consoles upgrade have always been around and are common place? 

Bridge the gap with PC because PC is lagging?

what are you smoking?

Also: do you think console has been the leader in VR space or PC?
    Console upgrades have been around for years.  They are common place.  These last console releases may be the end of the console release cycle for Microsoft,  we may just be looking at hardware upgrades to the XB1 from here on out.

You obviously have a hard time reading, I didn't say anything about PC lagging, UWP is literally a bridge between PC, Console, Mobile. 

I think for today i am going to put you back on ignore I do not have the engery and bandwidth to deal with your views today.

and please next time I ask do you think the leader in the VR space is PC or console please at least pretend to understand the context of the question and just say 'I think mobile is the leader but between the two you mention X is' I really dont have time to play with toys today

SEANMCAD said:

I think for today i am going to put you back on ignore I do not have the engery and bandwidth to deal with your views today.

and please next time I ask do you think the leader in the VR space is PC or console please at least pretend to understand the context of the question and just say 'I think mobile is the leader but between the two you mention X is' I really dont have time to play with toys today
    Don't ever take me off ignore.  If you can't handle simple answers that you requested and want to pretend you're a big boy that has big boy thoughts about video games, don't act like a child when you get true responses you don't like regarding questions YOU asked.

Have fun being the forum ostrich another day.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Console upgrades have been around for years. 
    Wrong.

Upgradeable consoles don't exist.

Consoles have a "new product cycle". New consoles replace outdated ones. Existing units are not upgraded, they are replaced entirely.

However, that may be changing in the future. Microsoft's Phil Spencer gave an interesting press conference earlier this year:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/possible-xbox-one-hardware-upgrade-in-the-pipeline/1100-6435221/

Seems that MS feels the current practice of waiting 6-7 years for a new console launch is too long. The devices are falling too far behind the tech curve in those long cycles.

Obviously the sudden dawn of the "VR age" has acted as a catalyst in that regard. None of the big console makers ever seemed to worry about "consoles falling behind PC's" in the past...
  • FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    SEANMCAD said:

Don't ever take me off ignore.  If you can't handle simple answers that you requested and want to pretend you're a big boy that has big boy thoughts about video games, don't act like a child when you get true responses you don't like regarding questions YOU asked.

Yeah I'm about to put him on my ignore list also.  Over in the other xb thread he went off the deep end too.  Apparently he gets to pick what is and what is not debatable on this site...
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I didn't realize this site was the Microsoft trust and love train.  How weird.
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yeah I'm about to put him on my ignore list also.  Over in the other xb thread he went off the deep end too.  Apparently he gets to pick what is and what is not debatable on this site...
    ok that was over emotional based on what I said which is 'for today' 'dont have the time or bandwidth'
    i understand I asked a question, I forgot who i was asking so I am FOR NOW, retreating because my blood pressure can not handle this sillyness for today, tomorrow however I might

Wrong.

Consoles have a "new product cycle". New consoles replace outdated ones. Existing units are not upgraded, they are replaced entirely.

However, that may be changing in the future. Microsoft's Phil Spencer gave an interesting press conference earlier this year:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/possible-xbox-one-hardware-upgrade-in-the-pipeline/1100-6435221/

Seems that MS feels the current practice of waiting 6-7 years for a new console launch is too long. The devices are falling too far behind the tech curve in those long cycles.

Obviously the sudden dawn of the "VR age" has acted as a catalyst in that regard. None of the big console makers ever seemed to worry about "consoles falling behind PC's" in the past...
    http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-Expansion-Pak/dp/B00000INR2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models

SCPH-1000 Original (Grey) Unknown (1994-09-22) Rev. A NTSC-J Yes Yes FMV skipping issues. S-Video direct out.
    SCPH-1001 2.2 (1995-12-04) Rev. B NTSC-U/C FMV skipping issues.
    Based on the SCPH-3000 series.
    SCPH-1002 2.0 (1995-05-10) PAL
    2.1 (1995-07-17)
    2.2 (1995-12-04)
    SCPH-3000 1.1 (1995-01-22) NTSC-J FMV skipping issues. Earliest units had a PU-7 board, further units featured a PU-8 board like the SCPH-1002.

SCPH-3500:
    2 controllers were included.
    SCPH-3500 2.1 (1995-07-17)
    SCPH-5000 2.2 (1995-12-04) Rev. C FMV skipping issues.

New console models have been around for a long time.  Different parts, upgrades, fixes. 

Torval said:
    Dangling the financial carrot I can believe. They already do that for both users and developers. So does Sony and Nintendo.

The paranoid hyperbolic conspiracy theory not so much. There are a lot of flaws in that not the least of which is catastrophic PR backlash and platform abandonment. Occam called and said you need to have some shred of evidence to prove that before any rational person would accept it.

Lol, admittedly the "big stick" example was a bit extreme, but MS are not beyond exerting considerable pressure when it suits their agenda.

Just look at how hard they are pushing the Windows 10 upgrade program. Even to the point of downloading the entire installation in the background just in case the user of an earlier Windows version decides to accept the upgrade offer one day ?

I have a feeling that UWP is not just going to quietly go away. The advantages for MS are simply too compelling.
    Torval said:
    Dangling the financial carrot I can believe. They already do that for both users and developers. So does Sony and Nintendo.

The paranoid hyperbolic conspiracy theory not so much. There are a lot of flaws in that not the least of which is catastrophic PR backlash and platform abandonment. Occam called and said you need to have some shred of evidence to prove that before any rational person would accept it.

L...

I have a feeling that UWP is not just going to quietly go away. The advantages for MS are simply too compelling.
    this is my prediction and to toot my own horn I am often correct about my predictions. not always but often at least in this area

Wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-Expansion-Pak/dp/B00000INR2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models

SCPH-1000 Original (Grey) Unknown (1994-09-22) Rev. A NTSC-J Yes Yes FMV skipping issues. S-Video direct out.
    SCPH-1001 2.2 (1995-12-04) Rev. B NTSC-U/C FMV skipping issues.
    Based on the SCPH-3000 series.
    SCPH-1002 2.0 (1995-05-10) PAL
    2.1 (1995-07-17)
    2.2 (1995-12-04)
    SCPH-3000 1.1 (1995-01-22) NTSC-J FMV skipping issues. Earliest units had a PU-7 board, further units featured a PU-8 board like the SCPH-1002.

SCPH-3500:
    2 controllers were included.
    SCPH-3500 2.1 (1995-07-17)
    SCPH-5000 2.2 (1995-12-04) Rev. C FMV skipping issues.

New console models have been around for a long time.  Different parts, upgrades, fixes. 

Just stop, lol

Buying a "new model" is not the same as upgrading your existing console by replacing specific parts.

You can't buy new gfx cards or CPU upgrades for your console. Start messing around with the inside of that box and you void the warranty. Upgradeability has NEVER been a feature of consoles.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I hope that UWP will be pushed hard by Microsoft. But then I hope that it will lead to new initiatives that avoid using it because those developers refuse to be locked into Microsoft's API requirements. Maybe it would even lead to a boost in gaming on linux. Because as customer I really don't want one company have that kind of control.

Just stop, lol

Buying a "new model" is not the same as upgrading your existing console by replacing specific parts.

You can't buy new gfx cards or CPU upgrades for your console. Start messing around with the inside of that box and you void the warranty. Upgradeability has NEVER been a feature of consoles.
    Well if we're talking about Modular systems specifically... and not new iterations of consoles, I would still say that there have been consoles that allow for upgrades.

The N64 as I posted did have a hardware upgrade with the expansion pack. I remember it quite well as it came with every Donkey Kong 64 game you bought and it required the expansion pack to run the game.

Do you remember the early 360s?  They had a partial modular design, with removable HDDs, and some models made it fairly easy to change the DVD drive.  

I won't say that the hardware you could change were vast upgrades that gave extreme performance increases because - up to this point - it was better for them to just sell the next generation,  but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore with hardware prices decreasing and hardware performance increasing.

edited May 2016
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Lol, admittedly the "big stick" example was a bit extreme, but MS are not beyond exerting considerable pressure when it suits their agenda.

Just look at how hard they are pushing the Windows 10 upgrade program. Even to the point of downloading the entire installation in the background just in case the user of an earlier Windows version decides to accept the upgrade offer one day ?

I think that's a much more reasonable perspective. Of course UWP isn't going away. That's a lot different than excluding other games on the platform that don't use it.

I don't want UWP to go away. It has meant I now have access to some cool games that were on XB1, like Killer Instinct, that I didn't before. Maybe it will mean Halo will be on Win10 in the future. It also means that made for console games, like 7 Days to Die (I really love that example), will have a specification requirement that it run on both Windows and XB1 hardware and not just work well on a single platform. That doesn't mean it can run better on some hardware, only that it meet minimum reqs to run on the platform.

These sorts of advancements will push Sony, just like Sony has pushed Microsoft with their PS4.5. In turn this should light a fire under Nintendo. As the consoles advance that will push PC developers and publishers. Competition and progression are good. If any one of them tries to assert control too far then it will only hurt them in the end.

That's why I don't worry too much about it. If any one platform gets too dooshy. It might suck for a short bit but eventually the ecosystem will correct itself.
    Oh and to be clear on my prediction UWP I predict will go away but cross platforming will not. UWP is by leaps and bounds NOT a technical requirement for cross platforming. its code written in business objectives, not a technical problem

• FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited May 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    FFFG said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    FFFG said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Oh don't worry clearly you are not alone in the need to feel special and have meaning by bashing the big bad company. 
    32 posts in and jumping on the ad hominem train.  Hoo boy, making a good early impression.
    Oh my apologies what is the magic number of post when you are allowed to post ad hominem post like you do?  Or are they only allowed if it's something you agree on?  I take it you are the ad hominem train conductor?
    You literally don't even know what the word means.  I haven't made a single personal attack.  But I can tell your feelings are hurt by something.  
    Haha my feeling are hurt???  You were the one that saw the word Microsoft on a thread and had to come cry about this site being a "Microsoft love train".  

Clearly you don't know what the word means or got so worked up over this thread forgot what you posted. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    FFFG said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    FFFG said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    FFFG said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Oh don't worry clearly you are not alone in the need to feel special and have meaning by bashing the big bad company. 
    32 posts in and jumping on the ad hominem train.  Hoo boy, making a good early impression.
    Oh my apologies what is the magic number of post when you are allowed to post ad hominem post like you do?  Or are they only allowed if it's something you agree on?  I take it you are the ad hominem train conductor?
    You literally don't even know what the word means.  I haven't made a single personal attack.  But I can tell your feelings are hurt by something.  
    Haha my feeling are hurt???  You were the one that saw the word Microsoft on a thread and had to come cry about this site being a "Microsoft love train".  

Clearly you don't know what the word means or got so worked up over this thread forgot what you posted. 
    Well shit son, you caught me!  I'm so aaaangry!

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

Oh and to be clear on my prediction UWP I predict will go away but cross platforming will not. UWP is by leaps and bounds NOT a technical requirement for cross platforming. its code written in business objectives, not a technical problem
    Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  UWP is a single API set that is geared to work across ALL windows platforms.  UWP isn't just for games.... UWP is for all applications.  UWP is made for specific devices apart from the OS and unifies the way applications work across the desired devices.

** This is essentially cross platforming of all devices... and still it WILL be required for Xbox titles, so again, developers are already currently building for it.

UWP also is usable across a number of current programming languages such as C++ and DirectX.  Most companies already have applications or games written in codes compatible with UWP.

** Developers currently would have to do substantially more work if they decided to not use UWP which was specifically meant to do it. 

It's really easy to see that even if UWP failed in the gamespace which it won't.. it isn't going anywhere.  It isn't going to fail.  It is necessary for Microsoft to utilize it to grow a universal Windows App store.

come on Love Train is a fun song

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    The way I see it as long as games are continued to be made PC compatible it seems safer to stick with your PC. You can upgrade when needed if you need to stay compatible.

After 2017 will see right? The new xbox is only compatible with Microsoft compatible games? Personally I could care less about xbox and MS. The real story is they see VR technology as the future.

The way I see it as long as games are continued to be made PC compatible it seems safer to stick with your PC. You can upgrade when needed if you need to stay compatible.

After 2017 will see right? The new xbox is only compatible with Microsoft compatible games? Personally I could care less about xbox and MS. The real story is they see VR technology as the future.
    Hey people saw 3D as a future too, as was Blu Ray at one point, the Kinect and Playstation Eye... and motion controls.  If you hit the market fast enough with something it looks like it's gaining momentum but only time will tell.  One thing Microsoft isn't doing, is they aren't leaving VR out,  but they also aren't directly creating something specific to VR like Sony is.  

Sony by the end of the year will have the most popular VR headset apart from mobile.  I think that in itself says something.   By that time the Rift will have been out for more than  8 months.  The Vive about the same time.  It has gained slow traction up to this point, and despite suspected growth, chances are aside from some themepark additions and one off experiences, the home VR set (albeit mundane and common place as it will be on every cell phone) will be largely forgotten. 

and I expect that is 99.9% of the reason they are doing an xbox upgrade..for VR.

Prediction: within 24 months from now you will see a VR title for Xbox One (doesnt have to be an exclusive, I dont know why anyone gets hard ons over that)

• RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58
    SEANMCAD said:

and I expect that is 99.9% of the reason they are doing an xbox upgrade..for VR.

Prediction: within 24 months from now you will see a VR title for Xbox One (doesnt have to be an exclusive, I dont know why anyone gets hard ons over that)
    In the news, "Microsoft and Sony announce VR for their platforms in the next two years."

SEANMCAD, 2 months later on the MMORPG forums, "I predict VR will be on consoles in the next 24 months! P.S. I'm super smart."