Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Joy Of Being Overwhelmed

13»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I feel fairly odd about assumptions that people are having issues figuring out simple game mechanics that at the end of the day aren't even all that different from other games.

I find it quite offensive to imply average gamer is an idiot...
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Gdemami said:
    I feel fairly odd about assumptions that people are having issues figuring out simple game mechanics that at the end of the day aren't even all that different from other games.

I find it quite offensive to imply average gamer is an idiot...
    Why would you take offense from that ? The average person is an idiot, not just gamers.
  • AgeniAgeni Member UncommonPosts: 44
    The best game regarding this is definitely TSW!!!

Some quests and puzzles were so amazingly hard and interesting, that If I wanted to figure it out by myself it takes me really long time or I've had to use google :)
  • Moonstruck1969Moonstruck1969 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I agree with the overall premise and sentiment of this article. However, I must take exception with this comment:

"...and although the regionalization is good, it isn’t exceptional."

Good? Hardly. It's marginally adequate, at best. :P
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    edited May 2016

Viper482 said:

DKLond said:

For me to feel good about being overwhelmed, it has to be about delightful intricacies and meaningful complexity - instead of a painfully bad UI and a severe lack of vital information.

I know you think this sounded intelligent and all, but you are going to have to elaborate for credibility.

Author, I agree 100%. This MMO has been a breath of fresh air, with all the themepark clones being put out to make a quick cash grab, this game actually has some depth too it. Some freaking thought was put into something to make it stand out with different mechanics than the same old tired formula. That deserves praise, and we need more of it.

Dude I quoted, you are welcome to go play one of the hundreds of copy-cat themepark MMOs available. Enjoy.

Typical. Fanboy. Response. People /are/ aware you can be critical of a game you like, right? I am currently enjoying BDO but I see its flaws, like the person you quoted. If you told me to 'go play a themepark game' I'd tell you where you can stick it. This video points to some of those flaws. However I'm a casual so my biggest complaint is when I buy a $30 costume it's not account wide as it should be; at least for the costumes that have different class variations. That being said..I've spent around $100 per month on this game... So I /do/ want it to succeed....but I will not be silent in my criticism. People should stop trying to silent one another and hear them out. Stop placing assumptions on people. It's toxic.
  • LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I agree with author, its about time we have something that actually gives you a sense of reward.
  • LeCreauxLeCreaux Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I've never played BDO but I have been a gamer and software developer for over 30 years. It's one thing to require the player to figure out the nuances of the game (recipes, boss fights, effective character specs, etc). But it's quite another to require the user to figure out fundamentals such how to communicate with NPCs. That doesn't sound like fun to me, it sounds like poor design. User Interface standards are a major concern for both gaming and business software. Intuitive is the goal.

A couple of years ago I was an alpha/beta tester for a North American AAA title that was heavily hyped but eventually cancelled. The game play was innovative for its genre and required an innovative User Interface to make it work. It was one of the most hotly debated topics on the beta forum. One camp was telling developers that the interface was so confusing that the game was not fun to play. The other camp was berating camp one with "L2P" insults. The User Interface was redesigned multiple times, even returning to Alpha stage. But eventually the title was abandoned. If it had been released the "L2P" crowd would have still played it but the masses would have quickly given up.

Asian games are notorious for not particularly caring if the User Interface is friendly. Look how long it took ArcheAge to enable the inverted mouse feature in North America even though the game engine natively supported it.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I think the same mmo, after mmo, after mmo, all released with a new skin for the last decade has had brainwashing effect. I myself didn't click in with BDO at first, to me it was allot of time i could spend leveling in another mmo instead of trying to get BDO rolling, i even preordered it.

A couple months later thankfully i had an epiphany, so... I can relate to the being overwhelmed when coming to BDO feeling. I'll nutshell how i think i got past the overloaded feeling, maybe it will help others, because trust me when you read posts such as you're only hurting yourself by not playing BDO it's as true as it gets, believe it.

My attitude was completely different coming in a couple months after launch, i no longer cared about mastering the game inside out this time, all i was seeking was some justification for the 50 bones i wasted on this pos game.

With that in mind; don't come into BDO thinking you need to know every system inside out to get going because honestly you don't, to be even more honest you probably would never need any of them if they didn't interest you. One could easily enjoy the questing, combat and nothing else.

With that said create a toon and start questing, get a feel for the world and stop around 14. You can level any character to about 12 in a scary short time, i think this is by design so the next step isn't as boring as it might sound and possibly is the reason for such a short time frame.

Next thing i did was create several alts which interested me, i found this an imperative element as i played them all to 15/16, the couple i really liked i took to 26/27, i figure the one you take to 30 is now your main.

The character i thought was going be my main is now a trade run character, my main is a character i nearly didn't pick at all, lol. Now, I couldn't imagine playing without her, there is no game for me without her. (I'm sure some people understand what i mean here). On a simplified plane, the character/class makes the game remarkably so much better than my original choice.

During all this alt business i sprinkled it with taking in systems here an there. One day i thought tonight i'm going to check into this Taming horses, i dropped well over 200,000 silver, before i mastered this system, i haven't had that much frustrating fun in years. Every single alt after I'd only buy one rope and use one sugar, i got good!!! Totally worth it to me.

Another day i thought how does this fishing work, then another trading, workers... and there is still so much more to learn but... no pressure all in due time, breeding anyone? Can't wait... To know all these systems isn't mandatory, but i found testing them fun and rewarding. Although I'm not deep into any of them except trading a little more so, one could play this game as a trader only, it's an entire game within itself.

An example i started with back packing some trade supplies, upgraded to a donkey, then a shabby cart, to a wagon, and expanding my runs though the discoveries of my new main and i wouldn't dare call myself a trader... yet. I've only dented systems but overall it's a satisfying feeling for example that if i ever need a fish i know what to do, i can just go do it.

Around 30'ish (this could be a me thing) i started to notice that combat wasn't as A.B.C as i first thought. It took some nuance, almost skill like rhythm which i thoroughly loved in BnS, not the same as BnS but a very welcome surprise that you can get better with your characters combat though practice. You can get a real rhythmic flow happening of changing decisions as mobs change in and out, swarming becomes an issue, or into an epic one on one situation where another epic decides to join in on the fun, the field can be dynamic and requires more thought then i believed was necessary for this game. I didn't think this games combat was that great, totally reneging on those statements.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited May 2016
    Getting excited over another very shallow theme park shows to me you are just desperate for anything new.

The first two weeks were fun, but then it went downhill fast.  Heck I would even go play Wow than spend another minute in this very poorly written game.   Then you have all the hackers and cheaters on top of that.

I just refuse to do pointless grind in a MMO anymore.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Volgore said:
    DMKano said:

I am always surprised when people find the game overwhelming with so much information available on it. 

The game in itself is less overwhelming because there is information on the internet available?

So, in example learning to play guitar isn't overwhelming because there is also information on that available?

And without the internet, the aspiring guitarist would have to learn by ear, visit a library, buy a book, go to music school, or visit live venues, just to learn how to play.  Yes, that would be overwhelming, when compared to just looking up hundreds of youtube videos all in one place.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Azoth said:
    Why would you take offense from that ? The average person is an idiot, not just gamers.
    It is quite an irony considering your claim consist of fallacies...
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Overwhelmed from the competitive grind and hackers who just owned you anyway maybe.
  • vesariumvesarium Member CommonPosts: 2
    As a player that has spent many years playing Eve Online I kind of liked the fact this game had a steep learning curve. Its moving away from the typical mmos where everything is handed to you on a platter. Learning and discovering things makes this game more interesting and a little frustrating at times but well worth it.

Game developers can learn a lot from this game.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    Lostar said:

Viper482 said:

DKLond said:

For me to feel good about being overwhelmed, it has to be about delightful intricacies and meaningful complexity - instead of a painfully bad UI and a severe lack of vital information.

I know you think this sounded intelligent and all, but you are going to have to elaborate for credibility.

Author, I agree 100%. This MMO has been a breath of fresh air, with all the themepark clones being put out to make a quick cash grab, this game actually has some depth too it. Some freaking thought was put into something to make it stand out with different mechanics than the same old tired formula. That deserves praise, and we need more of it.

Dude I quoted, you are welcome to go play one of the hundreds of copy-cat themepark MMOs available. Enjoy.

Typical. Fanboy. Response. People /are/ aware you can be critical of a game you like, right? I am currently enjoying BDO but I see its flaws, like the person you quoted. If you told me to 'go play a themepark game' I'd tell you where you can stick it. This video points to some of those flaws. However I'm a casual so my biggest complaint is when I buy a $30 costume it's not account wide as it should be; at least for the costumes that have different class variations. That being said..I've spent around $100 per month on this game... So I /do/ want it to succeed....but I will not be silent in my criticism. People should stop trying to silent one another and hear them out. Stop placing assumptions on people. It's toxic.
    You know the guy that made that video started playing the game again, right?  Like 3 days after he made that video?

His latest stream was titled "Geting prepped for Valencia!" 13 hours ago.

I watched a few seconds of it.  A chatter asked if the game is worth it to buy.  He said, "Definitely!  It's definitely worth it to buy."

So the problems cited here were not enough to keep him from playing the game avidly, nor enough to stop him from recommending the game.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    The Reverend Jim Jones convinced most of his followers/cult members to drink poisoned FLAVOR AID.
    Not KOOL AID. Oh yeah. If we're going to use an expression ...can it at least be accurate.
  • PespakovaPespakova Member CommonPosts: 2
    Agree, once all game mechanics kicks in, the game is amazing. For that to happen you need to take your time, try all the things the game has to offer.

Thats why BDO will be here to stay for long time, the core mechanics are good and inovative
  • Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

DMKano said:

I remember feeling overwhelmed when I first played the Korean CBT1 - but after a while it all just clicks. Having no guides or videos and having really shitty Korean skills - yeah it sucked.

I find the game quite intuitive nowdays - also there's a TON of information and videos available now - it makes it really easy to understand every aspect of the game.

I am always surprised when people find the game overwhelming with so much information available on it. 

This link alone explains everything:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6eIthnNmwyALVl0cVpvcnI0NUk/view

Even though I find the game more intuitive the more I play, I think people feel overwhelmed because it is just too much information and it is hard to absorb all that is new, especially at the beginning.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Gdemami said:
    Azoth said:
    It is quite an irony considering your claim consist of fallacies...

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

George Carlin