Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game not getting more attention?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    Dullahan said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Dullahan said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:
    This could possibly be the game of the century.  I just do not understand why it has had almost no discussion here. Game comes out in less than a month and its like no hype at all. 
    Because its the least interesting of the current options for this style of game and yet gets the most PR.

Space Engineers, Elite Dangerous, Empyrion, StarMade and maybe even StarsOne.

fly around a huge universe you will never completely explore and land on planets? oh wow...really? already done.
    None of those games are even comparable.
    most of them are considerably better and you can do considerably more within the same context. but I bet you had no idea.

people literally saying 'oh my god you can land on planets and fly around huge universe' yeah wow...
    I bet you had no idea that they aren't. The closest one is a very basic minecraft in space. The rest are completely different.

I see a real dishonest trend in your posts.
    what? not even close

what can you do in NSM? Fly around a universe, land on a planet, hunt down creatures, mine ore, craft.

In Space Engineers you can do all of that other than 'universe' AND you can build a base AND you can create a factory AND it looks a fuck ton better

In Elite Dangeoous you can do all of that expect hunt down creatures and mine ore and it looks a fuck ton better

In Star Made you can do all of that and more and it dosent look a fuck ton better.

and all that without even touching the more new ones that are still in the works but playable.

NSM is the least best option when it comes to planetary landing games.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    psiic said:
    warlordsw said:
    coz there is no multiplayer in this game

Actually it is multiplayer. Just no group finder. You can find people and play with them, but it may take years to ever find a friend if you want to play with your friends. Some people talk about plans to find each other. 

Its still not really "multiplayer". yes sure, you can find your friends and you an go to them, but there is no garentee that you'll always see each other as you get closer. They've stated you will only see a handful of other players while in the area, depending on how many people are also around.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    This game seems like a great concept, but all it really seems to be is a simulation of the "procedural" environment generation. If they took that concept and made a real MMORPG out of it, that would be interesting. As the game is now I doubt I'll even play it because it functions more like a single player game. I would love to see someone take this procedural concept and incorporate it into something like dungeons or raids in a traditional MMO. That would be great to never do the same exact instance ever with different mobs that do different attacks and different terrain. I hope more games take this concept and do more with it. Right now the campaign system in Crowfall is about the only thing similar for a real multiplayer environment. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    donger56 said:
    This game seems like a great concept, but all it really seems to be is a simulation of the "procedural" environment generation. If they took that concept and made a real MMORPG out of it, that would be interesting. As the game is now I doubt I'll even play it because it functions more like a single player game. I would love to see someone take this procedural concept and incorporate it into something like dungeons or raids in a traditional MMO. That would be great to never do the same exact instance ever with different mobs that do different attacks and different terrain. I hope more games take this concept and do more with it. Right now the campaign system in Crowfall is about the only thing similar for a real multiplayer environment. 
    I have no doubt that we'll be seeing more procedural generation in games in the future. 

It's the ultimate solution to the problem of creating an endless supply of new "content". NMS have taken it further than any other game before, and I'm sure others will do even more.

Afaik E:D are planning on using it for some of their planetary content as well, they just haven't done it yet, or even said when they will have it working. 
  • warlordswwarlordsw Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited May 2016
    psiic said:
    warlordsw said:
    coz there is no multiplayer in this game

Actually it is multiplayer. Just no group finder. You can find people and play with them, but it may take years to ever find a friend if you want to play with your friends. Some people talk about plans to find each other. 

You can see it in Steam page. There is no MP options. Playing with friends is a dream :(

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    If this game had at least a way to start the game together or track down a friend (even if it took weeks, even months) that would make it worth a lot more attention in my book.

The second major thing the game lacks is the ability to simply set up a home. While I can respect that the game is about exploration, sooner or later players will find traveling redundant. Having a real sandbox system of building, or the option of trading for prefab structures and equipment, would go a really long way.

I dare say that if No Man's Sky had those two things, I'd probably play it off and on for the rest of my life.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    At this point we have seen as many "exploration videos" of NMS as is possible.

What no one yet knows is ... HOW DOES IT PLAY ?! How does it feel ? How long can it keep fresh and interesting ?  Does it matter to the Sandbox what I do ?  That was the real great thing with Star Wars Galaxies sandbox ... an individual could make a difference  (e.g. found a city that many visited for cantina crawls or PvP).

And these questions can only be answered after the game has launched.

Have fun
  • KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    So... instead of being able to see your friends and others around you constantly that you don't even need to progress in mmoSrpgs these days, you DONT see anyone and your free to solo the game! BUT don't you worry your self people are still there but you may never meet them!
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    SEANMCAD said:
    what really grinds my gears is that some people act as if no other game offers the same and more.

Fly around forever in Elite Dangerous, land on planets...
    Are you serious ?

You're trying to say landing on planets and exploring in E:D is just as good as it is in NMS ?

I guess some people might find driving around on a barren rock exciting... :surprised: 

But I'd FAR rather be on NMS's planets that are teeming with life in a huge variety of shapes, sizes and colors. Not to mention caves and underwater exploration.
    E:D is going to have atomspheric planets added later on.

There are going to ended up having the similar features when it comes to planets... except for the fact that E:D also focus on the commerce and combat side of the game (and crafting/mining).

E:D's got a headstart it is going to be a hard chase for NMS if they are planning to go for the same market.

SC at least is aiming for a slightly different market.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited May 2016
    Are you serious ?

You're trying to say landing on planets and exploring in E:D is just as good as it is in NMS ?

I guess some people might find driving around on a barren rock exciting... :surprised: 

But I'd FAR rather be on NMS's planets that are teeming with life in a huge variety of shapes, sizes and colors. Not to mention caves and underwater exploration.

There are going to ended up having the similar features when it comes to planets... except for the fact that E:D also focus on the commerce and combat side of the game (and crafting/mining).

E:D's got a headstart it is going to be a hard chase for NMS if they are planning to go for the same market.

Contrary to what someone in this thread is suggesting, I'd say its rather clear the E:D is not aimed at the same market as NMS. NMS does not revolve around piloting skills (though you are a pilot), dog fighting (though you can fight very simple AI) or cooperative/competitive flight simulation.

Its simply a space exploration game with limited combat and sandbox features.

• FuffensteinFuffenstein Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Tbh this game is going to win over all the other space games..... why you ask? ease of access!

I think NMS is going to be a "pick up and play" game in contrast to Elite: Dangerous etc. those games a hard to just get started with. I bought the horizons pack for Elite: Dangerous and when i saw that i needed all kinds of crap and shit just to visit a planet i just gave up.
    As for Space Engineers, its really fun but you have to grind for literally HOURS just to get off a planet and into space(if you play the start on a planet scenario tho).

In NMS its "just" land, explore, mine, craft, interact with unknown aliens and learn their language, befriend them, make enemies with them, help them at their stations, help them in space battles, fight off pirates and take their loot.

All in all NMS appears to wide audience from the vivid gamer who play games for nearly 20-30 hours a week and to the everyman, the guy who works alot and only have 5 hours a week to play a game. And that's why i personally thing NMS is going to be way more popular than the other space games out there.

And don't me wrong, i really like Elite: Dangerous, Space Engineers etc. they are just huge time sink. 

and fyi, I'm almost 100% sure that Sean Murray stated in different interviews that you WILL be able to see where your friends are at in the space map, it will just take a HUGE amount of time to get to them.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:
    what really grinds my gears is that some people act as if no other game offers the same and more.

Fly around forever in Elite Dangerous, land on planets...
    Are you serious ?

NMS is definitely not going for the same market as E:D.

Which was probably to the great relief of Frontier Developments, lol

E:D hasn't even announced which year they intend to add planets with atmospheres and creatures, whereas NMS has that as a headline feature on launch.

However, the games are aiming at very different audiences. I'd almost say that players that love one of these games are unlikely to love the other one.

E:D is much closer to a space sim than NMS will ever be.
    NMS will not require "piloting skills" like E:D does.
    E:D has solid multiplayer, NMS does not.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    "Needs to develop a group finder for the game" qouted Capt. Obvious

P.S. - I like the meeting at space stations idea.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tbh this game is going to win over all the other space games..... why you ask? ease of access!

I think NMS is going to be a "pick up and play.....
    this is EXACTLY what I am talking about that marketing has on people.

How does anyone even know its going to be a 'pcik up and play' game. nope, doesn't matter, we will state it as fact.

Just like when the first video came out and all we saw was a space ship coming into orbit and the developer literally saying NOTHING about features. people just started making up features and stating them as facts.

how does that happen? very clever, gorilla/covert...marketing

What I want to really really really really really stress here in this debate over NMS vs other options is that people where literally shitting themselves with hyper hype hype when the first video came out that had

1. someone flying around a planet.
    2. ZERO..literally ZERO information about features or gameplay

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    This game is Spore meets Space.. No Mans Sky should have been called SpaceSpores. I'll let a lot of others play it before I pay anything for a algorytm game that looks like they took the systems of destiny and spore and made a game.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited May 2016
    I have, and I think others so as well, guarded optimism about NMS. Like another mentioned, no one really knows how it plays. Could be compelling, but could be tedious play-Minecraft-on-one-planet-fly-to-another-and-play-more-Minecraft. All of it signifying nothing as likely no one will ever see it. I fear it will be similar to those deck-builder boardgames like Dominion where you are playing with others, but there is not much need to concern yourself with what others are doing.

I'll buy ED if it ever comes to PS4, (unapologetic peasant that I am) but it sure is dang boring to watch. But then again, so are most video games, but I think the point about NMS' accessibility is a good one.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Not multiplayer game. Overpriced. Over-hyped. Why should it get more attention? I'm surprised its not getting less. It might be an interesting single player experience for about 10 hours before all planets seem the same and all the work seems as a chore. After that the veil falls down. Mark my words, this will be one of the most hated games on release.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• FuffensteinFuffenstein Member UncommonPosts: 39
    SEANMCAD said:

How does anyone even know its going to be a 'pcik up and play' game. nope, doesn't matter, we will state it as fact.

Just like when the first video came out and all we saw was a space ship coming into orbit and the developer literally saying NOTHING about features. people just started making up features and stating them as facts.

Well the things i'm talking about aint based of the first video they released, its based on the TONS of hour long interviews with Sean Murray where he explains most of the content features of NMS. There really a lot of content rich interviews and gameplay videos on the internet by now...
    SEANMCAD said:

Well the things i'm talking about aint based of the first video they released, its based on the TONS of hour long interviews with Sean Murray where he explains most of the content features of NMS. There really a lot of content rich interviews and gameplay videos on the internet by now..
    However all those long interviews came more than a year AFTER people where loosing sleep with excitement over a information void of which people like me where asking for references to details of which nobody could provide. At least that is how I recall

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Not really a MMO so no real interest from me at least.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I really didn't enjoy elite D.  Horrible controls and hours upon hours of learning to pilot/land the damn spacecraft.  I'm not sure an actual spaceship would be more complicated and annoying.

I don't see ED as a viable alternative to anything honestly.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    @Kyleran - This is actually what interest me about it.  I have been playing way to many games recently that force me to interact (I say force but I should say where it is beneficial to interact) and at times I need a break from that.

Going off that thought, I can see this game, NMS, appealing to people that are in that place in their hobby, wanting to play, do something but not really wanting the interaction. Also, from what I have read if you do in fact have interaction with others it seems to me that it will be fare more meaningful than what we currently have.  Make a group, fight a match or run a dungeon, disperse, rinse repeat.

So I can see the appeal for some players.

Having said all of that, I think it is a pretty thin reason to have it on an MMO forum.  Exploration/survival sims seem to be in need of their own sub-genre.  Yes you can run into other players but they may not be the best idea.

I can see how people would not like it, and I respect that, but I think there is definitely a niche for this game out there.

Anyway, my 2 creds on the topic.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Mardukk said:
    I really didn't enjoy elite D.  Horrible controls and hours upon hours of learning to pilot/land the damn spacecraft.  I'm not sure an actual spaceship would be more complicated and annoying.

thing is the excitement level for ED and for NMS where both set before people even played them.

Meaning the people who have been excited about NMS have not been excited for ED even before they played ED or NMS for that matter...ha!

that is how marketing works :)

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mardukk said:

thing is the excitement level for ED and for NMS where both set before people even played them.

Meaning the people who have been excited about NMS have not been excited for ED even before they played ED or NMS for that matter...ha!

that is how marketing works :)
    Actually, no it isn't how marketing works.  The goal of marketing is to establish a long term return for a specific product.  Hype on the other hand, is aimed more at the short term.  What you are describing is Hype not marketing.  The two terms are not interchangeable.

You can use Hype to help with marketing, generally blogging about, talking about, generating discussion about a topic on a personal level is hype.  Marketing is aimed at the big picture and is more enduring.  Think water cooler conversation = Hype, and Massive media presentation (TV commercials) as advertising.

Hope that helps.

imo: hype without marketing (or facts) = bad.  Marketing (using hype sourced on fact as a booster) = good. 

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.