Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A forum at last

Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
Looking forward to this game big-time - just hope it is as good as they have portrayed it so far.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    You forgot to say "first"  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Ok then - First (and third lol)   :)
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Don't suppose you guys have an info-filled link for the game? The official site is rather lacking and if I'm honest, I'm too drunk to navigate the links on Google.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Again, looks great, sounds great.. . good hype.  I'm hoping it is great .  it is a lot of things on paper that I would like.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I am going to get this for sure, but I really don't think it is a MMORPG, MMO or even a RPG.  It is great concept though for those of us who love exploration and the whole way they generate the planetary systems is beyond cool.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    unfortunately , this is single play game without MP !
  • MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I was hyped for this game but I think will will be very boring very very boring .....there is lack of info on in game features .....Millions of planets will be useless without worth while mechanics
    How long will you stand exploring ?
    WOW Fish
    WOW FISH with genitals on its head
    WOW horse with horns
    WOW horse with Trex mouth
    wow
    wow
    wow
    and in the end this will become meaningless and boring very boring Wow.....dog with fish tail I'm so amused ....not

Game misses a lot and those flying drones ?.......such a ridiculous stupid crap

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited April 2016
    I am going to get this for sure, but I really don't think it is a MMORPG, MMO or even a RPG.  It is great concept though for those of us who love exploration and the whole way they generate the planetary systems is beyond cool.
    Yeah, but as in other cases, it is entirely appropriate for mmorp.com to make an accommodation for such a game.
  • mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I thought it was completely MP.  They just spread people out so far from one another you have like a .5% chance to run into someone else.  I wonder what will happen as everyone slowly moves to the center for the story what the chance will go up to.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    mmorobo said:
    I thought it was completely MP.  They just spread people out so far from one another you have like a .5% chance to run into someone else.  I wonder what will happen as everyone slowly moves to the center for the story what the chance will go up to.
    You are right, it is MP, but the universe it huge. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited April 2016
    Looks like an epic game for sure...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    That's not entirely true but... why is that unfortunate? The Witcher is also single player and I wouldn't say there is anything unfortunate about it.

Considering the trolling and hacking that is part of most online communities these days, I'd say SP is a plus.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ah cool so getting forums here must prove once and for all that No Man's Sky is an MMORPG. ......... *waits for the inevitable outrage*
    Shh! I'm sure he has a script that searches for the phrase "is an MMO." He'll be here any minute now.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    People over on the Steam forums are kinda pissed that it's pretty much just a single player game. You will only see a shadow of another player if (big if) you come across one at all, and you won't be able to interact with them since it's just pretty much an NPC ghost.

It looks and sounds like just a big huge lonely universe with strange things in it to explore. That might be fun for a few months before it gets dull for the average gamer. I think NMS will be a hit at first, but in within a year long forgotten. Great idea, poor excursion.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    People over on the Steam forums are kinda pissed that it's pretty much just a single player game. You will only see a shadow of another player if (big if) you come across one at all, and you won't be able to interact with them since it's just pretty much an NPC ghost.

It looks and sounds like just a big huge lonely universe with strange things in it to explore. That might be fun for a few months before it gets dull for the average gamer. I think NMS will be a hit at first, but in within a year long forgotten. Great idea, poor excursion.
    If that's true about it being mainly single player, then the fact that each planet is procedurally generated means that there will be nothing special about any of them i.e. no clever uniqueness to uncover because they clearly aren't putting the effort into 'scripting' for individuality, so in effect, you will just be meandering around the universe looking at different shapes stuck together to create different aliens/creatures/land objects.  I doubt this will keep people interested more than 2-3 weeks.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes it is difficult to put in words but the poster above me,basically understands it.
    Just like with VR,we are not yet at the stage that this type of technology or idea can be done with any great detail.

It is a nice idea NMS design,but will be many years before we see this type of design be a solid Triple A game,instead to me it is sort of like an automated Minecraft.

If i were to make a guess,i would say at least  5-10 more years before we see anything truly amazing.
    I believe there really is a large audience,if a developer can put in the effort,gamer's will come from all genres to play it.However Blizzard has a strong foothold on the gaming populace,it means other devs do not see enough money in their sights to invest a large amount.

Also imo TOO many Indie devs make for diluted gaming quality,then when a few of these low quality games strike it rich,the rest see it and continue to follow the same pattern.This is what happened with mmorpg's,all saw Blizzard's success and so the copy cat developing began.One day we will see something great,just not in our sights for the next few years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

So this game is out in a matter of weeks and hardly anyone is talking about it. Give it 3 months to survive?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kane72 said:
    So this game is out in a matter of weeks and hardly anyone is talking about it. Give it 3 months to survive?
    Yeah, the Reddit subforum for NMS only has 49K subscribers, obviously nobody is interested in this game... :D 
    50-100k sales wouldn't be a lot tbh as the bit that goes to the dev company probably wouldn't make it a worthwhile project.
  • wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I could be complete wrong but...

Until somebody finds another player and can post a screenshot I don't actually believe it's possible.

They gave something away in a short demo a few weeks ago that made me think you can't have any interaction at all with other players.

They showed the player praying or falling asleep in front of some alien shrine, a few seconds later when they woke up it was night time, they explained that these shrines can have affects on the player or the environment... so my question is, if my player falls asleep in front of shrine and turns the planet to night time, does it then become night time on that planet for all players on it?????

This is why I don't think they have actually joined the dots, built the net code etc. to make sure that "your" interaction with the world is reflected in "my" viewpoint of the world and hence they are therefore hiding behind the size of the universe to keep pointing out that you will never find anyone...

Also, they have had so many questions about this in interviews, why not just post a quick 1 minute, "Here I am landing on a planet, and there is my co-developer Bob killing creatures..." but the chance of you seeing anyone is next til nil...blah de blah blah

Great concept, was going to buy, will wait until I see some player feedback first though.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its a single player game, but if your the first to discover something, its listed with your name on it when other players come across it, i think thats the only player interaction there is.
    Whether this will be a success or not, is hard to tell, and will probably depend a lot on the price at release, trying to pass it off as a AAA title and charge $60 for it, might be an issue, they might get away with it on the PS4, but i don't think they would with the PC version, and then there is the whole, its not on XB1 thing too.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Scottgun said:
    Yeah, but as in other cases, it is entirely appropriate for mmorp.com to make an accommodation for such a game.
    Just like Sports Illustrated should start covering video games since you know, they are eSports right.

Never confuse this site's sell out and turning into the gaming equivalent of MTV with any reasonable accomodation.

NMS isn't MMORPG, or even a MMO, doesn't need coverage, leave it over in Reddit.  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    This is a very strange game to pick, it has a ambiguous genre that does not equate to MMORPG's. While I am happy that solo game are now being looked at, this does not fit the bill.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I get the feeling that i CAN visit planets that other people have discovered (like in E:D) and see species that other people have named - but when it comes to personal interaction with other players in real time, NMS has a "moment-of-truth" coming up after launch day.

On an unrelated note - does NMS remind you of "Spore" or not ? Will be fun to see what STRANGE creatures can be found out there. Something else than the classic procedurally generated variant of dinosaurs, cats and birds.

Have fun