Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People are paying $30-60 on phone/internet

2»

Comments

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ok let's see here how can I say this without the OP running to Vaross and crying that somebody is stating a fact about how the OP is making up numbers???   Well I guess I'll just leave it at that...
    holy smokes!

well at least you take the higher ground on these matters
    High ground?  I made a comment about how the OP was pulling numbers out of a hat...he ran to Vaross I'm just stating facts...
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    edited May 2016
    I don't think anybody besides you is waiting, counting days since last purchase and saving money to spend on some future monthly sub. 

That is a ridiculous assumption. [mod edit]

If there was a market for those kind of games, you can bet all your saved money, that companies with much better market research than yours would be all over it. Just move on and start reading books or something. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited May 2016
    @Kyleran, yes and because the way it was encouraging players to open their wallets it received a backlash, but then I saw how they announced the ship players bought won't be permanent, which only makes more sense in a "realistic" design. So, they received the backing/donations and they gave something in return.

I'm not saying Star Citizen will be amazing or great on launch, but based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop it is the ONLY AAA developer right now. I'm also aware budget is not everything, but bold companies who find ways to invest big deserve far more support than companies who try to get into this market with a fraction (and even that's too much) of that budget, while also "promising" they can deliver so many features.

At the end the indies if not are worst when it comes to cash shops and keeping their games with continues support, features and content. Without a significant playerbase to kickstart and simply give a boost to your product on launch, the chance of that product turning into something amazing over the next years won't be high.

@pantheron Companies focus is always focused first toward customers like me over the whales and simply those who are easily opening their wallet, cuz they know that market will or already has funded them, so their mission is accomplished there.

@Tasslehoff85, SWTOR is not a great "success" and you'll never be able to sell that to me, especially with the quick F2P conversion as well as firing some of its key staff so early after launch with if not one of the most expensive budgets in MMO history. The fact SWTOR managed to at least see its return of the investment, proves that even some of the worst design MMO's imo can get away, which only further shows how much bigger the MMO market is today over decade+ ago.

We will know the answer once somebody is bold enough out there to come into the market with a bigger monthly sub, which would also be in best interest for the custumers, since paying a monthly means you spend less on cash shops and boxes, while proving to your custumer that their sub its worth keeping for the next and next month. F2P and cash shops are plentiful out there, which is only one good reason why this type of MMO with this type of monetizing model would virtually have no competition in the current genre and I am ready and would gladly open my wallet for such, especially how everything else delivered that was new over the last 5 years, 4 months and 2 weeks failed in that.

The future is in quality products, not quantity, something that requires significant budgets to deliver. Blizzard and SWG are some great examples of that, which by the way came out 12-13 years ago and I remember how fearse competition they were facing then for a much smaller market than today. We've had so many multiplayers over the last couple years to prosper and gain massive revenues as a free to play models and that just further indication of the size of todays market.

I at least acknowledge the fact that to deliver a quality product without a cash shop and with plentiful of content and features to keep me playing for more than couple of months could use a sub over $15 a month, at least to kickstart it in the first 1-2 years, before it gains bigger numbers to reduce it.

At the end this thread http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445849/deliver-me-a-25-sub-mmo/p1 is a great indicator for just this community and how much is ready and willing to play and pay for this type of monetizing model MMO.

Post edited by Kopogero on

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    edited May 2016
    Kopogero said:
    @Kyleran, yes and because the way it was encouraging players to open their wallets it received a backlash, but then I saw how they announced the ship players bought won't be permanent, which only makes more sense in a "realistic" design. So, they received the backing/donations and they gave something in return.

I'm not saying Star Citizen will be amazing or great on launch, but based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop it is the ONLY AAA developer right now. I'm also aware budget is not everything, but bold companies who find ways to invest big deserve far more support than companies who try to get into this market with a fraction (and even that's too much) of that budget, while also "promising" they can deliver so many features.

At the end the indies if not are worst when it comes to cash shops and keeping their games with continues support, features and content. Without a significant playerbase to kickstart and simply give a boost to your product on launch, the chance of that product turning into something amazing over the next years won't be high.

@pantheron Companies focus is always focused first toward customers like me over the whales and simply those who are easily opening their wallet, cuz they know that market will or already has funded them, so their mission is accomplished there.

@Tasslehoff85, SWTOR is not a great "success" and you'll never be able to sell that to me, especially with the quick F2P conversion as well as firing some of its key staff so early after launch with if not one of the most expensive budgets in MMO history. The fact SWTOR managed to at least see its return of the investment, proves that even some of the worst design MMO's imo can get away, which only further shows how much bigger the MMO market is today over decade+ ago.

We will know the answer once somebody is bold enough out there to come into the market with a bigger monthly sub, which would also be in best interest for the custumers, since paying a monthly means you spend less on cash shops and boxes, while proving to your custumer that their sub its worth keeping for the next and next month. F2P and cash shops are plentiful out there, which is only one good reason why this type of MMO with this type of monetizing model would virtually have no competition in the current genre and I am ready and would gladly open my wallet for such, especially how everything else delivered that was new over the last 5 years, 4 months and 2 weeks failed in that.

The future is in quality products, not quantity, something that requires significant budgets to deliver. Blizzard and SWG are some great examples of that, which by the way came out 12-13 years ago and I remember how fearse competition they were facing then for a much smaller market than today. We've had so many multiplayers over the last couple years to prosper and gain massive revenues as a free to play models and that just further indication of the size of todays market.

I at least acknowledge the fact that to deliver a quality product without a cash shop and with plentiful of content and features to keep me playing for more than couple of months could use a sub over $15 a month, at least to kickstart it in the first 1-2 years, before it gains bigger numbers to reduce it.

At the end this thread http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445849/deliver-me-a-25-sub-mmo/p1 is a great indicator for just this community and how much is ready and willing to play and pay for this type of monetizing model MMO.

OK, [mod edit]

Star Citizen = AAA developer and bold company investing big? Do you know its a new company with no rating that found a bold way on how to get other people to invest in their dream? 

Blizzard AND SWG = Quality products mentioned in the same sentence? How can you compare probably the most profitable game in gaming history to SWG, which was one of the biggest failures in the MMO history? 

I know how :smile:, you are making fun of us :sunglasses:
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

My computer and my internet service is not solely for playing games. I work on my machine, so I can spend money on games =)

The MMO genre probably won't die anytime soon, just like Action Movies won't go away anytime soon but action movies sure have changed over the decades and so will MMOs. The "fun" you had playing your favorite MMOs of the past will probably never be felt again just like the feeling you had when you first watched "star Wars" or the first girl you kissed ... (half the people reading this just went "huh?") won't be matched again. You should enjoy what the current hotness is right now or look into the indie scene for something wild and different that you can enjoy. Trying to keep the MMO style of play alive from 10-15 years ago makes you look like older parents who don't want to switch to smart phones =)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    DrDread74 said:

My computer and my internet service is not solely for playing games. I work on my machine, so I can spend money on games =)

The MMO genre probably won't die anytime soon, just like Action Movies won't go away anytime soon but action movies sure have changed over the decades and so will MMOs. The "fun" you had playing your favorite MMOs of the past will probably never be felt again just like the feeling you had when you first watched "star Wars" or the first girl you kissed ... (half the people reading this just went "huh?") won't be matched again. You should enjoy what the current hotness is right now or look into the indie scene for something wild and different that you can enjoy. Trying to keep the MMO style of play alive from 10-15 years ago makes you look like older parents who don't want to switch to smart phones =)

Great comment DrDread!

Those darn Indie mmo's well back in my day when dinosaurs....

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited May 2016
    Kopogero said:
    And how do you know the community won't pay it if it never was done before? Name me one MMO that has charged more than $15 in monthly fee, ONE.
    EverQuest  =)  Stormhammer server cost 39.99 monthly I believe to play on that server.  I had multiple accounts on this server.  I was single making great money and it was my entertainment.  I am not sure I would pay that price now.  It would have to give me that same feeling I had back in the day playing EQ and I am not sure that can ever happen again.
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I prefer sub based games that offer lifetime subs, like Camelot Unchained. Sub based games that have a niche do well. Like Eve, FFXIV, WoW, DAoC. All too many times some prefer action based combat, which imo is not true to mmos, others prefer tab targeting. the good mmos would incorporate both styles to appeal to a wider audience.

I spend way more on free to play games than I do a sub based game with no cash market, to me sub based is much more cost effective in the long run. 15.00 bucks a month is cheaper than what it would cost to have 1 pizza delivered, unless you buy into a life time sub which is 3 years free, then a small fee annually, which becomes even more cost effective.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    JemAs666 said:
    Kopogero said:
    And how do you know the community won't pay it if it never was done before? Name me one MMO that has charged more than $15 in monthly fee, ONE.
    EverQuest  =)  Stormhammer server cost 39.99 monthly I believe to play on that server.  I had multiple accounts on this server.  I was single making great money and it was my entertainment.  I am not sure I would pay that price now.  It would have to give me that same feeling I had back in the day playing EQ and I am not sure that can ever happen again.
    Don't prove Kopogero wrong! You'll hurt his feelings. He actually believe that forums are pvp and he gets pvp in real life. No need to get him started.

On a side note I don't know why he is even talking about a game charging more then $15 a month. For a person that hasn't paid a dime in the last 5 years for any game. He sure seems to care a lot about price.
  • FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited May 2016
    Wow is this guy serious? Even though he types a lot of words he hasn't produced a single coherent, remotely accurate sentence yet.  It's amazing a person can type that many words (every post) and never produce a single factual statement.  
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited May 2016
    I just want to know who is paying $30-$60 on phone and internet. My cable/internet bill is nowhere near those numbers lol, and I have a huge discount, too. Granted I have high tier packages for both but $60 lol? What sort of dream world is that?
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Leiloni said:
    I just want to know who is paying $30-$60 on phone and internet. My cable/internet bill is nowhere near those numbers lol, and I have a huge discount, too. Granted I have high tier packages for both but $60 lol? What sort of dream world is that?
    Agreed. 

Internet: $99
    Phone: $225 (3 cell phones)
    $60 = I wish

I guess we can all dream lol
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Star Citizen is a sure bet if you are looking for something not afraid to open YOUR wallet. It might be the ONLY option so blatantly grabbing every single penny it can get its hands on even before release because we all know MORE is BETTER.

Other games and/or companies trying to sell this much advantage and power and stuff ALL before release would get crucified on these forums but not Star Citizen.

But I got distracted by that massive cash shop with spaceships for sale, sorry. 60$ for internet and phone? I wish, in the Netherlands I pay tripple that, nothing fancy too, maybe we get better salaries on average or something, it does not seem like much to me...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer