Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Steam Page Revealed June 1st Release. Rumor Unconfirmed by NCSoft & Date Since Removed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageSteam Page Reveals June 1st Release

The WildStar Steam page has been updated from "coming soon" to Available: June 1st. This is fantastic news for the struggling title as a Steam release has the potential to bring big numbers of players.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Those first day reviews...

Well, they'd best be stellar otherwise Ima have to find a new mmo.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I have WS now on my PC. How do I get it to use the Steam version (just to help boost their numbers - every little bit helps).
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    page already changed to "Available: 2016" - false alarm
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    They had a big surge of players when they title became F2P but it didn't last long. What difference will this one be? We shall see.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I wish them luck, but I have to say the game was extremely underwhelming for me.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2016
    Although my money is on this game sinking when it hits steam, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Maybe now would be a good time to introduce some new classes or something.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    As someone in the official wildstar forums posted, regarding their utter incompetence as a company and not even bothering to do any kind of marketing or proper announcement:

"So let's recap:

Steam tells us it's becoming available in one week
    Homepage : no mentions
    Forums : Users have to mention it
    Reddit: Users have to mention it
    Twitter: Haven't seen a relevant #wildstar tweet for weeks
    Email campaigns: None
    Adds: None

GG Carbine"

So yeah, this game is not failing because it sucks, this game is failing because Carbine sucks!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2016
    UPDATE: The June 1st release date has since been taken down and no confirmation from NCSoft has been forthcoming about the accuracy of the date. We'll keep you posted as the story develops.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    They had a big surge of players when they title became F2P but it didn't last long. What difference will this one be? We shall see.

There won't be any difference. They're trying to keep the game alive at this point. It's never going to thrive, and will be lucky to see much future development, IMO. 
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    This might sound like taboo but what they really needed with the f2p launch was an extensive cash shop.

All f2p games do it, they fill the cash shop with entirely unattractive items thus no one buys anything.

Don't get me wrong, the game has a hell alot of other issues that needs fixing but getting your revenue model down is a pretty good way to ensure your games longevity.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited May 2016
    What this game really needs is it's own "A Realm Reborn" Otherwise a bullet in the head to just get it over with already.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Nitth said:
    This might sound like taboo but what they really needed with the f2p launch was an extensive cash shop.

All f2p games do it, they fill the cash shop with entirely unattractive items thus no one buys anything.

Don't get me wrong, the game has a hell alot of other issues that needs fixing but getting your revenue model down is a pretty good way to ensure your games longevity.
    Valid points. Underscoring the fact that WS wasn't designed as a f2p game. And multiple f2p developers have said f2p games are not simply about having a cash shop. There has to be an underlying revenue model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    They've got two large problems. 

First and foremost is that NCSoft simply doesn't know how to operate a Western MMO.  GW2 is the exception because ArenaNet has enough insulation to keep NCSoft from doing their PHB thing.

Second is that Carbine simply lacks the operational experience required to run an MMO.  Rip-it-and-ship-it kinda works for single player games but it simply doesn't fly for a 24x7 service.  What they need is a responsible adult to prevent people from throwing stuff over the wall without testing or slam in changes without any sort of usability review.
  • April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Im gonna re-install and offer my support, I can not see me sticking at it though just something does not catch me with the game, I think its the over-cartoony art style, and the bad taste left by the hardcore players during development off the forums, it was out of control over there which played a big part in the big fail.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

kairel182 said:

Carbine has liquidated their employees down to a 12 man maintenance crew.  If this doesn't turn it around, don't expect much left for ol' Wildstar.

Are these numbers actually correct? or are you making estimates?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Nitth said:

This guy is right.

So I pretty much own everything I could ever want out of their cash shop. It was a quick gain. They don't update the store nearly enough to induce a spend spree.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    Nitth said:
    kairel182 said:
    Carbine has liquidated their employees down to a 12 man maintenance crew.  If this doesn't turn it around, don't expect much left for ol' Wildstar.
    Are these numbers actually correct? or are you making estimates?
    A source would be good indeed.

Lay-offs were announced earlier - as reported; no specifics from NCSoft but reports suggested "more than 70" being "as much as 40%". If true then that would suggest there were still over 100 employees. However those same reports also said that staff had been told to expect more.

Not seen any news however but the revenue it took last quarter would struggle to support 12 employees.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I'm already playing it, so that won't change it for me. :)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Great game and enjoying it alot so far! Just started about a week or two ago and just having a blast! The dungeons and fun and actually hard even the low level ones. The expiditions which can be soloed or done in a ggroup are great and have a cool feel to them compared to dungeons and adventures are very cool with a choose your path kinda thing. Overall i recommend anyone who hasnt tried the game for themselves to do so because i believe it's worth it and just give it a chance! If everyone doesn't play because of the population it's just gonna continue to plummet till the game is no more. Here's hoping Steam release will help even if only half or less stay anything to help this great game i regret not joining sooner.

• xmeerk4txxmeerk4tx Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited May 2016
    It says June 3rd now. Edit: Nevermind, it's June 3rd 2014. Not an actual release date.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Can anybody name one declining MMORPG that was saved because it was launched on Steam?
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Can anybody name one declining MMORPG that was saved because it was launched on Steam?
    Good question.

Nope, I can't.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

Steam is where games go to die.

Wildstar will not be launching on Steam. The game is deceased. Unfortunately.

The only thing that will save it, is if another studio / investor buys the IP and finishes this glorious, could have been, should have been MMO.

Don't waste your time otherwise.