Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft : First Movie Reviews - A Mixed Bag So Far

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,380
    Aeolyn said:
    Aeolyn said:
    I'd like to know if these reviews are comparing the movie to the lore/books or the online game... or based solely on what in their personal view a fantasy warcraft movie should be?

Does it matter?  A crap movie is a crap movie.  If you have to be familiar with wow's goofy lore to see the movie then they kinda failed at making a good movie didn't they?

I believe it would matter to anyone who has followed the lore or played the game, if it doesn't fall in line with either of those then Blizz will have not just shot themselves in the foot.
    From my experience in WoW I don't think many people play WoW with lore in mind as a priority.

People play WoW to max level as quickly as possible, get geared up, so they can show off their gears or gank folks. Lore only got interesting after they got bored of the above.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    In all fairness though.  Someone criticized the way wizard's eyes looked and I wonder if he is speaking from experience.  Battlefield Earth was a good movie.  I do believe the critics are being too harsh perhaps because it is based on a game and they are too embarrassed to admit they once played it.  But this is just a theory since not many open minded people have watched it yet.  Just to note they gave mad max a high score and yet what exactly was that story?  It was action packed crazy movie for sure but story was bleh.  I just think they are probably being too harsh considering what they have called good movies in the past.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,243
    Well that settles it for me. Just about anything the critics hate I love. If I see good reviews from critics I don't waste my time on the crap. So I guess I will love the movie, even if I am not so fond of the mix of CGI with real action. Wish it had been totally CGI from the in house guys.
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,209
    alas, not too much of a surprise. I was expecting the worse.
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,523
    Well since most movie critics are idiots, must be a great film.  Just look at the past few years at what was up for awards at the oscars.   I think most of the critics don't grasp that people go to movies to be entertained.  You can pick apart any movie if that is your thing, but where is the enjoyment in that unless you have a twisted mind.  Spotlight put me to sleep and I could not even finish The Room and Brooklyn.  All three had zero entertainment value for me and were lauded by the critics.  Granted some people liked them, but since box office for those films was miniscule, it fairly supports my contention.

I'll wait and make my own judgement, I could care less if it follows the lore, just hope it is entertaining.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    filmoret said:
    In all fairness though.  Someone criticized the way wizard's eyes looked and I wonder if he is speaking from experience.  Battlefield Earth was a good movie.  I do believe the critics are being too harsh perhaps because it is based on a game and they are too embarrassed to admit they once played it.  But this is just a theory since not many open minded people have watched it yet.  Just to note they gave mad max a high score and yet what exactly was that story?  It was action packed crazy movie for sure but story was bleh.  I just think they are probably being too harsh considering what they have called good movies in the past.
    When I finished reading that review I noticed "From Kotaku" below it and assigned a relevance rating of zero to it. 

That said the first two are pretty damning.  It's one thing saying it's bad for a movie, it's another thing to say it's bad for a video game movie which are usually terrible. 
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited May 2016
    Aeolyn said:
    Aeolyn said:
    I'd like to know if these reviews are comparing the movie to the lore/books or the online game... or based solely on what in their personal view a fantasy warcraft movie should be?

Does it matter?  A crap movie is a crap movie.  If you have to be familiar with wow's goofy lore to see the movie then they kinda failed at making a good movie didn't they?

I believe it would matter to anyone who has followed the lore or played the game, if it doesn't fall in line with either of those then Blizz will have not just shot themselves in the foot.
    From my experience in WoW I don't think many people play WoW with lore in mind as a priority.

People play WoW to max level as quickly as possible, get geared up, so they can show off their gears or gank folks. Lore only got interesting after they got bored of the above.
    Not everyone plays for those reasons.... I don't.

I like to have an open world I can explore and live in at my pace that allows me to encounter different races and their environments in it that gives me the means to do so(knowledge, gathering mats, crafting, taming, etc) all following a story line that gives the world and its inhabitants relevance. 

That doesn't mean just ez mode game play where you never encounter danger and blithely flit through dark underground passages or sail carefree across oceans to reach other continents.  Interacting with different races and environments all come with inherent dangers that a character would need to become educated about and prepare for, whether it be by skilling up so you have the right equipment to protect yourself and possible companions from wild beasts or enemy factions, or by gathering enough resources for sustenance, shelter or even for trade to open up shorter or safer routes.

I recall the first time my low level(14 iirc) night elf, before TBC(back when you had to be level 40 or 50 to even get apprentice riding), tried to cross through enemy lands to get to Ratchet so I could gather some recipes for armour that I couldn't afford to just buy from the auction house.  Anyway, a higher level orc warrior spotted me as I tried to stealth my way to the Barrens and instead of killing me right then and there, waited until I got all the way to just before the border just because it obviously amused him.  I ended up rezzing just outside at what I later learned was Warsong Gulch(Crossroads would have been so much better...and what I was hoping for if I was going to get killed on my journey), talk about lost, I didn't even have the map opened enough to see which way to go and ended up having to recall all the way back to Shadowglen because I had forgotten to change my save point to Darnassus let alone Auberdine. :/

Point is, some of us actually enjoy the journey more than the endgame.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    reeereee said:
    When I finished reading that review I noticed "From Kotaku" below it and assigned a relevance rating of zero to it. 

That said the first two are pretty damning.  It's one thing saying it's bad for a movie, it's another thing to say it's bad for a video game movie which are usually terrible. 
    I have to agree with you there.  Kotaku died as a quality site ages ago.  I quit visiting them long, long ago.  It's just garbage nowadays.

Still, an overwhelming consensus deriding something is usually a sign.

I really don't think anybody is surprised by what we are hearing.  There were so many clues/signs working against the film.  Not the least of which being the time it took to keep a director/script and actually make the film.  Haven't they been trying to make that movie for like 8 years?

Still, when it comes to DVD, I'll check it out and just remind myself, if needed, that "Hey, it could be worse.  You could be sitting through Episode 7 again."
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,978
    oh shit. the storm comes

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,978
    SBFord said:
    Aeolyn said:
    My guess would be that these reviewers have little or no knowledge of lore. Based on what I've seen, however, they lore is utterly butchered in the movie -- I mean Garona and Lothar? O.o She was Medivh's lover. And that's just the beginning.
    wait wtf?

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,549

Lokero said:

It seems as of 2012 they still do make their own in house.
    Thanks, turtle.  You are on top of things as usual!

yea but Blur is a tad better than blizz cgi.. http://www.blur.com/work/

"PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,540
    edited May 2016
    klash2def said:

Lokero said:

It seems as of 2012 they still do make their own in house.
    Thanks, turtle.  You are on top of things as usual!

yea but Blur is a tad better than blizz cgi.. http://www.blur.com/work/

Well Blur is the best in business - but CGI is all they do, and they've gotten crazy good at it over the years.

The funny thing is that Blur could do all of Blizzard's CGI cheaper and arguably better too - but Blizzard for some reason still has in house cinematics team which is commendable, because from pure business sense, it would be more financially viable to just outsource all CGI work to Blur and can the entire team.

But I think it's pretty cool that so far Blizzard is not taking that route and has decided to keep their cinematic team in house.

Either way - yeah Blur has surpassed both Blizzard and Square Enix CGI teams by leaps and bounds
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Usually the critics and the audience opinions are far apart
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,540
    edited May 2016
    Usually the critics and the audience opinions are far apart
    Not really - usually they are very close - as in bad movies are disliked by both, and good movied are liked by both.

Lets check your theory right now - look at the current Rotten Tomato movie reviews:

Angry birds - Critics 42, Audience 59 - both disliked it - 17% apart
    Captain America Civl war - Critics 90%, Audience 91% - almost identical
    Neighbors 2 Sorrority Rising - Critics 62%, Audience 56% - again very cloes
    The nice guys - Critics 90%, Audience 84% - very close
    The Jungle book - Critics 95%, Audience 91% - very close
    Money Monster - Critics 54%, Audience 61% - 7% close
    The Darkness - Critics 5%, Audience 23% - both hated it, 17% difference
    Zootopia - Critics 98%, Audience 94% - 4% very close

So I'd say your theory is wrong - usually the critics and the audience AGREE, and rarely are they far apart as you claim

Post edited by DMKano on
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited May 2016
    The movie is probably going to be mediocre, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  FIVE REVIEWS.  Come on people, once we see 50+ reviews then you can argue about it...FWIW go look at IMDB reviews so far. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Trailer looked terrible to me, that's for sure.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,108

Lokero said:

I have said it all along, Blizzard should have just made a pure CGI movie for WOW or Diablo.

Their cinematics are amazing.

While I agree and love their games' CGI shorts, do they even make their own CGI clips? I recall hearing once back in the day that those were outsourced, but I don't really know much about that. Does Blizzard do its own in-house shorts?

They're done in-house. The SW:TOR ones and other from Bethesda and multiple studios have been outsourced by BLUR studios, but not Blizzard's. It is totally 100% in-house.

On Topic:

The problem I'm seeing with the reviews is the same from people expecting this to be "World of Warcraft movie". It is not. It is Warcraft; as in the RTS from the 1990's. I swear they were far too late in tacking on either the "Orcs vs Humans" or "The Beginning" labels to try to sell it as a non-WoW movie. The RTS games were about grit and story, and ....they weren't WoW. WoW was set in the universe of Warcraft, but post those events. And the humor in WoW is there to basically make it an enjoyable online experience with friends.

That seems to be the main issue with this movie. It cannot distance itself from WoW enough to try to sell the story of the old games alone. WoW is such a big phenomenon that the game bleeds into the opinions of this movie, whether Blizzard wants it to or not.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Movie reviewers. What can I say? Pretentious, uptight idiots would be a fair description I think. Movie reviewers are useless in my opinion. They always downplay action and fantasy films, the typical big, summer blockbusters. That's not to say that a lot of game to movie adaptations have not been terrible but I'm gonna have to wait on this one and see for myself.

These are the same people that said that Man of Steel was terrible movie and that Gal Gadot was good as Wonder Woman.

I'd rather watch the film and make my own mind up.
    Still, a movie based on a game should tell you something... Other movies based on games: 
    Super Mario Bros. May 28, 1993
    Double Dragon November 4, 1994
    Street Fighter December 23, 1994
    Mortal Kombat August 18, 1995
    Mortal Kombat: Annihilation November 21, 1997
    Wing Commander March 12, 1999
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider June 15, 2001
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within July 11, 2001
    Resident Evil March 15, 2002
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life July 25, 2003
    House of the Dead October 10, 2003
    Resident Evil: Apocalypse September 10, 2004
    Alone in the Dark January 28, 2005
    Doom October 21, 2005
    BloodRayne January 6, 2006
    Silent Hill April 21, 2006
    DOA: Dead or Alive September 7, 2006
    Postal July 21, 2007
    Resident Evil: Extinction September 21, 2007
    Hitman November 21, 2007
    In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale January 11, 2008
    Far Cry October 2, 2008
    Max Payne October 17, 2008
    Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li February 27, 2009
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time May 28, 2010
    Resident Evil: Afterlife September 10, 2010
    Resident Evil: Retribution September 14, 2012
    Silent Hill: Revelation October 26, 2012
    Need for Speed March 14, 2014
    Hitman: Agent 47 August 21, 2015
    Ratchet and Clank April 29, 2016
    The Angry Birds Movie[90] May 20, 2016

See many good movies on this list? And most of the Uve Boll masterpieces isn't even on it... The thing they have in common is that they all suck, possibly excepted Wing commander.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Wing Commander sucks big time.
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Loke666 said:
    Movie reviewers. What can I say? Pretentious, uptight idiots would be a fair description I think. Movie reviewers are useless in my opinion. They always downplay action and fantasy films, the typical big, summer blockbusters. That's not to say that a lot of game to movie adaptations have not been terrible but I'm gonna have to wait on this one and see for myself.

These are the same people that said that Man of Steel was terrible movie and that Gal Gadot was good as Wonder Woman.

I'd rather watch the film and make my own mind up.
    Still, a movie based on a game should tell you something... Other movies based on games: 
    <big snip>

See many good movies on this list? And most of the Uve Boll masterpieces isn't even on it... The thing they have in common is that they all suck, possibly excepted Wing commander.
    The best part is that I haven't watched a single one of those...
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,827
    edited May 2016
    I am not ashamed to say I really liked

Mortal Kombat (the first one)
    Tomb Raider(The first one)
    Hitman (2007) 
    Silent Hill (The first one)
    Resident Evil (The first one)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Aeolyn said:

Marvel
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,040
    I am not ashamed to say I really liked

Mortal Kombat (the first one)
    Tomb Raider(The first one)
    Hitman (2007) 
    Silent Hill (The first one)
    Resident Evil (The first one)
    Good list. I enjoyed some of those too... nothing wrong with watching some trash now and then. We all have our guilty pleasures, critics be damned.

However, I didn't go to the theater for any of those B films. They're better at home for free on Netflix or a movie channel.

There are also plenty of good movies that were box office flops. Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club and Raging Bull among them.

People get way too worked up over movies they like not being the most successful or best reviewed, Just like with games.

I think now I'll go rewatch Fanboys. RT score 32% and I've enjoyed it every time I've watched it :)
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

SBFord said:

Aeolyn said:

My guess would be that these reviewers have little or no knowledge of lore. Based on what I've seen, however, they lore is utterly butchered in the movie -- I mean Garona and Lothar? O.o She was Medivh's lover. And that's just the beginning.

See, was i wrong when i said this movie would give me heart attack? What a disgrace..

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• kairel182kairel182 Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Elidien said:
    Movie reviews will be irrelevant for the movie. Gamers will go see it, WOW fans will go see it, fantasy and sci-fi fans will go see it. Very few of that crowd will pay attention to reviews. And those that do (for the most part) would not have this movie in their queue to see.

The reviews for Batman vs. Superman were not good (it did fine), the early reviews for X-Men Apocalypse are not good (it will do fine).

Will the movie be good? That's for each person to decide. It will not be amazing cinema except maybe for special effects and its motion capture technology. It depends on people's expectations....all I expect from the movie is 2 hour of eye candy, fantasy action and seeing a genre I love come to the big screen. Expecting anything more is wishful thinking at best.

Will it be successful? Depends on what the studio wants it to do. It must earn back its production cost and marketing cost to be a financial success but beyond that, the studio has internal projections.

it will do fine in the crowds to which it appeals and will draw few others. 
    I've been gaming for majority of my life and I have no interest in this movie.  I'm definitely not a WoW fan, so again, zero interest.  And I love fantasy/sci-fi but this just looks awful.  Tolkien and Warhammer have much more in-depth and interesting similar content to explore, no reason to watch the PG version (War'craft').

I do agree on the aspect that movie reviews mean jack shit but this abomination had 'pass' written all over it from the beginning.  Now all that being said, if it was an actual CGI movie like others have mentioned, I'd have to consider watching it.  But as of now?  LOL, nope.