Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft : First Movie Reviews - A Mixed Bag So Far

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFirst Movie Reviews - 'Sorcery & Stupidity' + 'Unwatchable' - World of Warcraft News

The first Warcraft movie reviews are in and are showing a mediocre reception at best. Variety subtitles it "Hollywood's habit of turning hit video games into unwatchable movies continues unabated" while The Wrap says "swords, sorcery and stupidity abound in game adaptation".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I'd like to know if these reviews are comparing the movie to the lore/books or the online game... or based solely on what in their personal view a fantasy warcraft movie should be?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Aeolyn said:
    I'd like to know if these reviews are comparing the movie to the lore/books or the online game... or based solely on what in their personal view a fantasy warcraft movie should be?
    My guess would be that these reviewers have little or no knowledge of lore. Based on what I've seen, however, they lore is utterly butchered in the movie -- I mean Garona and Lothar? O.o She was Medivh's lover. And that's just the beginning.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Did anyone really expect otherwise?

No amount of Warcraft can make up for how far Hollywood always manages to drag down what could have been an epic movie concept.

There were way bigger IPs that they messed up.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    As soon as I saw it was trying to be super dramatic, I knew it was going to be bad. The charm in the WoW universe is it's off-beat wackiness. Sure there are serious elements but overall it's pretty farcical.

You can still have an epic-adventure with a light-heated approach. Movies do that all the time to great success.
    Posting in a double topic!

Volgore said:
    Posting in a double topic!

One is a mobile version thread that for one reason or another didn't merge with the other. *shrugs* Will take care of it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Two hour WoW commercial, eh?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    In other breaking news:

Ice is cold!!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

I have said it all along, Blizzard should have just made a pure CGI movie for WOW or Diablo.

Their cinematics are amazing.

While I agree and love their games' CGI shorts, do they even make their own CGI clips? I recall hearing once back in the day that those were outsourced, but I don't really know much about that. Does Blizzard do its own in-house shorts?
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    This thing had Netflix written all over it since it was announced.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    A reviewer is just a guy with an opinion, not like he is skilled at watching movies.  Not like he has a PHD in watching films.

This reviewer is only worth a damn to you if you agree with his past reviews of other movies.  This is the equivalent of a guy saying chocolate ice cream sucks cause he hates how it tastes.

People have hated on lots of films, they still have fan bases.  Just a quick example, the latest batman vs superman was panned by the critics, it still made a massive profit.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited May 2016
    Will see once more reviews come in the real story. This might be a movie for fans only...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    It seems as of 2012 they still do make their own in house.
    Thanks, turtle.  You are on top of things as usual!
    scorpex-x said:
    A reviewer is just a guy with an opinion, not like he is skilled at watching movies. 
    What skill does one have to reach to not like a movie?

The End.
    "Your skill in movie watching has increased to 45"
    "You are now allowed to not like this movie".
    Volgorebunny sighs.
    Volgorebunny logged out.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Movie reviewers. What can I say? Pretentious, uptight idiots would be a fair description I think. Movie reviewers are useless in my opinion. They always downplay action and fantasy films, the typical big, summer blockbusters. That's not to say that a lot of game to movie adaptations have not been terrible but I'm gonna have to wait on this one and see for myself.

These are the same people that said that Man of Steel was terrible movie and that Gal Gadot was good as Wonder Woman.

I'd rather watch the film and make my own mind up.
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Aeolyn said:

Does it matter?  A crap movie is a crap movie.  If you have to be familiar with wow's goofy lore to see the movie then they kinda failed at making a good movie didn't they?

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Hollywood reviewers are reviewing this, not mmorpg players. Don't expect a pass or glowing review just because it spawned from a game.
    Aeolyn said:

Does it matter?  A crap movie is a crap movie.  If you have to be familiar with wow's goofy lore to see the movie then they kinda failed at making a good movie didn't they?

I believe it would matter to anyone who has followed the lore or played the game, if it doesn't fall in line with either of those then Blizz will have not just shot themselves in the foot.
    Thupli said:
    Hollywood reviewers are reviewing this, not mmorpg players. Don't expect a pass or glowing review just because it spawned from a game.
    The butchering of the lore will make those players who care about and like that aspect of the games cringe. It's pretty awful what they've done compounded by the fact that Metzen himself signed off on it. Blergh.

Again, I'll still see it but not as "Warcraft", but as generic fantasy movie #65.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    Thupli said:
    The butchering of the lore will make those players who care about and like that aspect of the games cringe. It's pretty awful what they've done compounded by the fact that Metzen himself signed off on it. Blergh.

Again, I'll still see it but not as "Warcraft", but as generic fantasy movie #65.

Well if the movie disappoints hardcore WoW fans due to botched lore, and your average Joe who doesn't know anything about WoW lore is not the target audience either,I have to ask

Who was this movie made for exactly?

Honestly, I can't swear that most players give a darn about lore. I happen to care about it and have read all quests and most outside books, manga, short stories, etc. Even saying that, however, even casual players will know that Garona is Medivh's lover, not Lothar's -- it's embedded in even the Warlords of Draenor storyline that she is the mother of a child produced in that relationship. And, seriously, that's just the beginning. :/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited May 2016
    From Kotaku's review (http://kotaku.com/the-warcraft-movie-is-not-good-1778550679)

Rather than tapping into the goofy core that makes a game like World of Warcraft interesting, the Warcraft movie aims for grittiness, missing the mark quite a bit. It just doesn’t work. The lore is too campy. This is a world where a mage’s most popular spell transforms his enemies into sheep, yet Warcraft acts as if it’s a green-screen version of Game of Thrones. At my theater, the biggest laughs came not from the occasional bouts of slapstick comedy but from the miserable archmages of Dalaran, whose CGI-enhanced eyes look especially absurd when you’re supposed to take them seriously.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Thupli said:

I'll go one further, I'll watch it as just a spinoff of the game and hope to enjoy it.  That said, I seldom listen to critics when it comes to movies just because whether they like it or not does not necessarily reflect whether I will.   ie LoTR, I found it so enthralling that I fell asleep in the frikkin theatre during the first release, there's only so many battle scenes I can watch before I do what I do to commercials, turn them off.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Will see once more reviews come in the real story. This might be a movie for fans only...

I think this too. This movie is for the people that love and play the game. They won't give a crap about non player reviews. This movie will be huge because of the games player base 5+million.