Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"There will not be a PvE server."

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/posts/1583320

PvP vs. PvE  
There will not be a PvE server, nor will certain regions of the map (cities for example) be off-limits for PvP. That being said, based on the sheer number of people plus NPC guards in cities, we believe they will be a mostly safe place. Our Bounty system, with financial repercussions for crimes, is another thing to help combat griefing while still allowing for whole world PvP.

I was slightly interested, but not sure after reading this.  Their Bounty system better be amazing and effective, otherwise the whole game will become a griefer's paradise.  What's everyone else think?

Comments

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    It's my belief that griefers will soon get bored paying each time they die.

Also the cities will have a heavy presence of Npc guards to help keep you aafe

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Outside of war any crime should send them to jail and sit there contemplating their crimes until they get out aged 80 and realise the RNG gave them a short life and they die. 
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Im glad there is no PvE or RP servers. The higher a server population the better, in my personal opinion, and breaking up the player base lowers player populations. From whats been described being a PK, or stepping it up to griefer level, will have serious consequences when youre caught. I say when because there are groups forming already that will dedicate themselves to protection and law enforcement. Will there be random PvP? You bet there will be. Will it be so common that you cant leave towns? I highly doubt it.
  • RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    As long as the consequences are serious, it should keep it to a minimum. That being said be care full out in the wilds, travel in groups etc. Hope they can make this mechanic work.

Redsalt... the other salt.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Deffcon_1 said:
    Im glad there is no PvE or RP servers. The higher a server population the better, in my personal opinion, and breaking up the player base lowers player populations. From whats been described being a PK, or stepping it up to griefer level, will have serious consequences when youre caught. I say when because there are groups forming already that will dedicate themselves to protection and law enforcement. Will there be random PvP? You bet there will be. Will it be so common that you cant leave towns? I highly doubt it.
    I must be from the old school but I'm all for relentless soul crushing no mercy PvP. I want to drink your tears like a fine bourbon savoring the misery I gave you... B)

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Much more interested now. Unexpected and danger makes a mmo much more fun for me.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Well then ... now im 100% sure im not interested lol.

Also, I hope youre all right but IMO those thinking the games penalties and aging systems will stop griefers are greatly underestimating the typical griefers sadism.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    This would be a really boring game with no PvP... not sure why folks thought it would have PvE servers...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I always like these type announcements.  Easy to avoid this game. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I'm not sure why anyone would have expected there to be PvE servers to start with.  The entire game's design philosophy is built around player subterfuge, warfare, crime, etc.  In other words, it's 100% built from the ground up with PvP in mind.

My feeling is that anyone who is turned off by this announcement didn't know much about the game(and likely wasn't that interested) to start with.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Nice,

I have been waiting on a true pvp game where the pvp starts after character creation. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Recore said:
    Nice,

I have been waiting on a true pvp game where the pvp starts after character creation. 

The pvp starts in the kickstarter with the $10,000 p2w bundles. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Lokero said:
    I'm not sure why anyone would have expected there to be PvE servers to start with.  The entire game's design philosophy is built around player subterfuge, warfare, crime, etc.  In other words, it's 100% built from the ground up with PvP in mind.

My feeling is that anyone who is turned off by this announcement didn't know much about the game(and likely wasn't that interested) to start with.
    I'm not sure why you think the plural "servers" is appropriate, likely to be only one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    yet another PVP MMO, just like the long line of others...we'll get these amazing reviews for 2 weeks and then account bans, then complaints, then server population disappearance...the reason they won't make a PVE server is because they are too lazy to make real content... 

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    From what I gather so far, PVP will cost more money, because it costs soul or whatever to kill someone and they will reach the end of their lives faster.

Seems that this a game where 2+ accounts would be fun.. one account for political building and the other account for going after opposing houses and giving them a hard time...

So far the recipe seems to stir up something more dangerous than the typical PK killing random people for fun... but more like opposing politics trying to crush you out of the game which can in itself feel much more like grief.

I can see people quitting when they obtain some high political stance and then lose it to whatever 'unfair gameplay' comes up to get them out.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me, but I wonder how many people will rage quit over this mechanic?

Entire clans used to ragequit when losing a siege in the first Darkfall when it came out... too bad they didn't stick around long enough to discover that losing a city was not a big deal. I think it was because they put in effort in building up the walls and structures and stuff, and then lose it immediately after they were done because it became a sought after asset in the entire game world..

I wonder how many rage quitters we will see at first when their political house crumbles for the first time?

I guess there is also the chance that most of the server will side with the zerg and they will never crumble... but hopefully things will be more interesting.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Deffcon_1 said:
    I must be from the old school but I'm all for relentless soul crushing no mercy PvP. I want to drink your tears like a fine bourbon savoring the misery I gave you... B)
    Yes there will be tears. If you are a PvE player this not the game for you. Leave it strictly alone. Do not for one second believe the talk about consequences or law enforcement, this is a game that, consciously or not, is designed for griefing.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I don't think I'm interested in a game that tries to be PvP everywhere...UO tried penalties and guards and whatnot and it never stopped the ganking...and that led to the collapse of that game.  Penalties or self policing playbases never have worked. 
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Giffen said:
    I don't think I'm interested in a game that tries to be PvP everywhere...UO tried penalties and guards and whatnot and it never stopped the ganking...and that led to the collapse of that game.  Penalties or self policing playbases never have worked. 
    Yeah, definitely not what led to the collapse of UO, the game collapsed way after there was a PvE only side.  As long as the penalties are harsh enough for murdering, it can be balanced well, the problem is since early UO I have yet to see a game give harsh enough penalties for murdering and then you end up with a grief-fest.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    The bounty system will be like it was in Age of Wushu.  You get some sort of penalty on you, and you just let a guildmate kill you and you split the rewards...lol.  Or, for people with more than one account, just Alticide yourself.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    flizzer said:
    I always like these type announcements.  Easy to avoid this game. 
    I agree no excuse not to know this before you put money into it.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    This makes my decision to back out of my pledge and not to play CoE all the sweeter. 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    No PVE makes it an easy decision.  Of course, most of these "MMO's" coming out right now are ehhhhhhh anyways.  And if COE takes after SC... we'll see it next decade.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They had stated at the start there will be no safe zones or pve only areas.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    The bounty system will be like it was in Age of Wushu.  You get some sort of penalty on you, and you just let a guildmate kill you and you split the rewards...lol.  Or, for people with more than one account, just Alticide yourself.
    Not really since it will take away spirit say you are a mass murderer you could find you will be permakilled when caught.. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO!