Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really weird this isn't F2P

ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
I'm not particularly a fan of shooters but they managed to make this game semi attractive, even to ppl like me. The problem is i'll never gamble $40+ on a genre I have little interest in. They market the game as inviting to all, yet don't go F2P. I'm sure the game will do well either way but they'll have to do it without me thanks to this very odd decision.

I can't be the only filthy casual that feels this way?

Comments

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    As long as they stay true to their word and offer all future maps and Heroes for free I am fine with $40. I would much rather pay a flat 40 than 9.99 per hero like Heroes of the Storm.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    F2P is dead, Dev's have figured out they can sell a F2P game as B2P and throw in a cash shop too.

Best of all worlds and keeps out some of the riff-raff.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    F2P is dead, Dev's have figured out they can sell a F2P game as B2P and throw in a cash shop too.

I think it's more that first person shooters by nature are 100% skill based. Meaning there is a lot less a studio can get away with selling. Living on the cash-shop alone really wouldn't bring in the kind of money Acti/blizz like to see a title earn.

A box fee makes a lot more sense for this type of game in general though. It probably takes a bit more to make the models for a game like this over a typical MOBA (as you see them up close and personal). So selling heroes isn't as lucrative of a business model. Items of power are out of the question, and from what I understand it's an FPS so skins aren't as lucrative of a business model either. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited May 2016
    Most other companies would've done so. Blizzard knows the recognition its name has (for better or worse), and know that people will fork over cash based on that alone. Honestly, they'd be fools not to charge a box price. That alone will probably cover the cash they lost when project Titan was canned, and then some. Character skin sales afterward are just gravy. Also, given that they're pushing Overwatch as an e-sport, charging a box price and then selling nothing but cosmetics afterward will squash most claims of P2W, though some people will still make them of course. 

They have made this game quite attractive to people like us who generally don't do competitive shooters. A shame they're wasting all of this great lore, and all of these interesting characters, on some twitch-based shooter with absolutely no deeper meaning or permanence. I know it was originally meant for something grander, but... damn. They could've at least added a PvE story mode, or a co-op mode, or something. 

At least you're not considering buying it solely for the stupid Diablo 3 wings. I'm not, but the fact I even thought about it is pretty sad. 

Edit: They'll probably have free weekends and trial periods in a relatively short amount of time. Probably right around Christmas, if not sooner. There might even be guest keys issued to those who purchase it at release to hand out. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    edited May 2016
    Almost yearly I purchase a form of call of duty.
    Why? Because I don't declare myself better than that.

I used to buy mmo's constantly. I used to buy ps3 and 360 games almost bi daily. (At one point I had so many ps3 games you could label it a problem).

It's 59.00.

Casual means too broke or cheap to buy so now Ima call myself casual instead what I am...too broke or cheap to buy. That's cool man but you are using that term wrong in this instance.

Casual doesn't mean free. If anything is dirty is the fact it's expect* and then completely a dispointment to some that a company may want to pull some front end cash in.

You got spoiled on free to play. Mobile still has tons of those though so causal that.

*Edit: Expected.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Kyleran said:

Good point though F2P worked out pretty well for hearthstone, granted it's barely F2P.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    This game isn't free to play because it doesn't need to be in order to sell like the only hotdog cart at Comic Con. The less this game has to deal with game tourists and throwaway grief accounts, the better. 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The future is clearly B2P+sub+dlc+ca$h$hop+P2W... It's coming. They'll find a way to make you take it all. AND you will like it! ::evil laugh::

They already bent you over, now they in the lubbing you up phase. Hope you enjoy what's coming.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad to see so many people lining up for the this.

See you in line!
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Question is do you guys see yourselves still playing this game by this time next year? that would kind of answer the question if it's worth paying for it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Not paying $90 for it maybe $50Au max for it so till it his that price or lower i wont be paying for it.
    $90 for a FPS arena isnt worth it imo
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    sanshi44 said:
    Not paying $90 for it maybe $50Au max for it so till it his that price or lower i wont be paying for it.
    $90 for a FPS arena isnt worth it imo
    Wut? The price is $40 dude.
    Tiller said:
    Question is do you guys see yourselves still playing this game by this time next year? that would kind of answer the question if it's worth paying for it.
    Seeing as how it would cost me around $40 to see three movies, assuming each movie is 3 hours long, even if I only get nine hours of fun out of the game I have broken even. Atleast that's how I view it.
    Aalamr said:
    Tiller said:
    Seeing as how it would cost me around $40 to see three movies, assuming each movie is 3 hours long, even if I only get nine hours of fun out of the game I have broken even. Atleast that's how I view it.
    So if I gift wrap a turd and charge you $40 it's ok because three movies cost the same?
    Aalamr said:
    Tiller said:
    So if I gift wrap a turd and charge you $40 it's ok because three movies cost the same?
    You completely missed my point.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Aalamr said:
    Tiller said:
    Maybe it's delayed-stinking poo and it's cool to play with until it starts stinking, then we see the posts complaining about how they bought poo that stinks.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    Aalamr said:
    Tiller said:
    Maybe it's delayed-stinking poo and it's cool to play with until it starts stinking, then we see the posts complaining about how they bought poo that stinks.
    I see what you did there. :awesome: It's a good thing I played with that poo extensively during beta so I won't be one of those complainers. I have zero regrets spending 40 bucks on poo.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I'm not particularly a fan of shooters but they managed to make this game semi attractive, even to ppl like me. The problem is i'll never gamble $40+ on a genre I have little interest in. They market the game as inviting to all, yet don't go F2P. I'm sure the game will do well either way but they'll have to do it without me thanks to this very odd decision.

I can't be the only filthy casual that feels this way?

Why? Because every game should be free? Tired of the argument. It's time people started paying for their games. The only ones that should be free are those little facebook games. Enough already. 
    Tiller said:
    For a standard match based shooter? A year is quite a while to play such a game regularly. I'd be happy to get 3-4 months of enjoyment out of such a product. WHo buys a shooter expecting to play it for years?

Distopia said:
    For a standard match based shooter? A year is quite a while to play such a game regularly. I'd be happy to get 3-4 months of enjoyment out of such a product. WHo buys a shooter expecting to play it for years?
    Anyone who bought a FPS after Goldeneye 64
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Distopia said:
    Tiller said:
    I do. I've played a ton of TF2 over the last 9 years, and I can see myself getting massive enjoyment out of Overwatch for years to come.
    edited May 2016
    Kaneth said:
    Distopia said:
    Tiller said:
    I do. I've played a ton of TF2 over the last 9 years, and I can see myself getting massive enjoyment out of Overwatch for years to come.
    Fair enough, it's just the frequency of releases in that genre almost ensures a constant flow of new titles to pick from, as well as the game-play is more suited to short play sessions and periodic bursts ( every so many months load it up for a few weeks)... TF2 is also quite an odd man out here, as for the vast majority of games once something becomes more relevant ( a new game or addition to an existing one) Player numbers dwindle and available servers dry up. Hence why most of the big names have moved to yearly releases.  

In the end I'm just saying the genre as a whole is not something most are going to judge worth and value on the basis they do for MMORPGs (based on years of enjoyment).

I can see myself playing Overwatch for years. maybe three to four months then just play on and off like I used to do with counter-strike until it became infested with hackers.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    With quality like this Blizzard does not need F2P. Also, team based shooters need a dedicated group of players and not "tourists."  I am a bit annoyed that you still have an ingame lootbox cash shop, they should not have done that, especially since you earn lootboxes by playing. But ahh well, someone has to pay for upcoming free heroes, maps, game modes etc. And I'll be honest, as someone who does not like shooters, I love this game, instantly bought after open beta.

Also, I expect to play this casually for years to come. Just like every other game Blizzard has ever released. Except Rock n Roll Racing perhaps  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    So the game is super fun, I enjoy it and I'm glad it costs money. It gets rid of all of the obnoxious free to play people who hack and have no repercussion. Plus the loot crates aren't a big deal, you earn one every level up and there is no level cap in the game and the exp required to level caps out at 22k, so you can endlessly earn them. It isn't like you have to ever spend money on crates, you can literally earn everything.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    F2p is fail man if a game is f2p you gonna spend a hell of a lot more then 40$ if you actually want to play it. There isn't a f2p game out there that doesn't milk you for 100s of dollars in less then a year and 100s more with updates and expansions which ends up being like 50$+ a month lol