Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A One of a Kind Shooter - Battleborn Review

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 63

Grend said:

Jonnyp2 said:

I thought it was pretty fun, but I haven't played it in a week or so. As it stands the games population is too small to be relevant. Who wants to play a pvp game with less than 5k concurrent players.

Anyways battleborn is a Moba, overwatch is team fps. No idea why gearbox let so many people think battleborn was direct competition to overwatch. It should be competing with smite or paragon. Regardless the game will be dead soon if they don't do a f2p conversion or something. At this point I don't even think a price cut would help, it was selling on gray market sites for almost half off anyways.

I dared to tell army of angry fans that the game will fail due to low population. They laughed in my face, told me I was wrong.

Turns I was wrong... about game reaching low pop in few months. It happened in matter of days

Honestly though, just because it has a low population doesn't mean the game is failing. I don't what it is on the consoles but on steam it's about 4-4.5k players in-game during peak hours and about 2-2.5k during the early mornings. I still play it and have no issues at all with finding a full group for matches. Takes less than 10 seconds. But I will admit the game has some bugs that need to be worked out. Before anyone asks, I play Overwatch also. I like both games.

Depends on what Gearbox needs to earn to recoup their investment. Low population only 2 weeks after release is a sign of lower than expected adoption rates. Their Borderlands 2 is played more than Battleborn is. Not a good sign for a new IP.

Still debatable though. For the most part, several players(even a few insiders) I've met before the game launched already knew it was going to be a small community anyway which is fine with me. It sorta reminds me of the community of Transformers WFC and FOC. Their communities weren't very big but it's wasn't difficult to get into matches. Just have to wait and see what happens. Biggest problem right now is just ironing out some of the known issues and I guess to a lesser extent, people who are putting a death sentence on BB. Mostly ones who only played maybe less than an hour of it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I did not like the game, but the boys like it better than Overwatch.  So it does appeal to one group.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    8?? More like a dull 4 in my opinion. I'm spoiled by Borderlands.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited May 2016
    They really should have worried less about launching with a bunch of random game modes and focused on things they are familiar with delivering in an interesting manner, like the story missions and dialogue to stretch the narrative of the game out into a more complete story line on that end.

EDIT: Example case would be, have a core character set with a core storyline players can run through, and the unlockable characters have different missions and spins on that core storyline that fleshes things out more and progresses the plot further to completion.

As-is they only have the basic structure of something like that, and the missions are rather disjointed in their nature. Most people focus on it being a moba-like game and that ends up being a weak point for it because of it's soft focus. Was rather a mistake on Gearbox's part as they didn't deliver a clear or deep enough focus on any particular type of content to make it stand out.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 63

Grend said:

Honestly though, just because it has a low population doesn't mean the game is failing. I don't what it is on the consoles but on steam it's about 4-4.5k players in-game during peak hours and about 2-2.5k during the early mornings. I still play it and have no issues at all with finding a full group for matches. Takes less than 10 seconds. But I will admit the game has some bugs that need to be worked out. Before anyone asks, I play Overwatch also. I like both games.

Depends on what Gearbox needs to earn to recoup their investment. Low population only 2 weeks after release is a sign of lower than expected adoption rates. Their Borderlands 2 is played more than Battleborn is. Not a good sign for a new IP.

Still debatable though. For the most part, several players(even a few insiders) I've met before the game launched already knew it was going to be a small community anyway which is fine with me. It sorta reminds me of the community of Transformers WFC and FOC. Their communities weren't very big but it's wasn't difficult to get into matches. Just have to wait and see what happens. Biggest problem right now is just ironing out some of the known issues and I guess to a lesser extent, people who are putting a death sentence on BB. Mostly ones who only played maybe less than an hour of it.

No the bigger problem is those who have played it over 20 hours and are putting a death sentence on it. ;)
    Too much competition and a ton spent on marketing and production does not bode well for it's future. Not with a small playerbase. At the end of the day this is a business. Not funsies. The game needs to have a healthy ROI. 

Thus the reason I said just have to wait and see but the bigger thing is some had expectations way too high or were expecting another Borderlands game. I've read quite a few of the the negative reviews for for it most of them give it some moderate-high praise but upset about the matchmaking.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I've been playing for a few weeks now.. Have just about all of the characters.. and I don't generally play for more than an hour or so a day. I've been playing it split screen with my friends locally but also happy to see we can split screen online too.

The split screen interface is HORRENDOUS. What's the point of sectioning off such a big portion of the screen for the MAP alone? I mean... that in itself gives the split screen interface MY score of 6/10. Just extend the screen all the way and put the map in the corner.. why limit your FOV on an already smaller screen?

Also.. the characters are all.. interesting. Balancing needs to be done... Some characters are way too powerful.. such as Galilea and Montana. They need to lock out bases once you've passed through them the first time so stealth classes like Oscar Mike can't stealth and double back to fully heal which they've been doing a lot. Some characters are just...ineffective and almost worthless in PvP and PvE. I spent a good portion of my time working on Mellka, and even though I'm very strong with her.. no matter how strong of a player you are.. you'll never top any charts with her... her damage will never top Thorn, and her best abilities that get her even close to topping any damage charts are so high up -- she needs a full restructuring.

Matchmaking needs work... I've had matches where I'm a sole lvl 30 teamed with 3's and 5's against a premade of +40s. I mean...there is no way we'd stand a chance really...

I don't hate the game. It can be fun if not frustrating at times.. especially when people DROP out of missions and instead of just having an open drop in, you're stuck with NO players. I've had matches, both story and PvP where multiple players would drop.. instead of picking up new ones.. or adding BOTS (which is what they should do at least) we end up with 2 v 5 matches or I'm left as the sole person in a story mission, which basically makes it somewhat tougher to complete them for Gold ranks or higher.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    No thanks, would might have considered it if the campaign was longer.
  • Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    edited May 2016
    I've been Command Rank 100 on PS4 for a few days now and my own opinion so far would be that I enjoyed it. Played mostly with friends, and met a few new ones. The graphics don't bother me at all, but I'm also not really a fan of them.

As far as as the PvE goes, the two most interesting, fun maps, for me, was the first two missions available in the Open Beta. The rest all felt mostly bland, repetitive, without much variation. Especially Bosses like Warlord Nix, Foreman Grall, Jailor Hylis. Most boss fights are much easier than some of the waves, minions even.

PvP so far is...not so bad. Can be fun. Yet still pretty horribly imbalanced, so more often than not, just not fun. And I don't mean matchmaking, never had a problem really except the occasional random level 2's in matches with much, much higher levels, like what??

But the maps themselves.... The Spider Sentries on Incursion are terrible, too easy to be cheesed or taken out by many characters. Seeing the same characters/combinations in many maps, without the ability to ban champions like Galilea...which I don't care what anyone says, a smaller hitbox Brawler champion, the only champ in the game able to Wound (-healing), two different ways, AoE even, with an AoE Silence, AoE Pull, Single target Stun, still crazy damage with a 35% atk speed steroid mutation...ugh. Oh and can't forget, attack while sprinting while shooting out fricking laser beams from her sword at full health... I'm still a huge Ambra fan, and they rightly nerfed her into the ground, or just back to Support champ where she was intended/belongs, upon release.

Then there's always Oscar-i'll-fuck-your-sentry-up-in-5-seconds-Mike and you'll never catch me. Or Marquis sniping it from his own Base. Even if Incursion might be your favorite style of game map, you'll just want to go play Capture or Meltdown instead after some matches. Not to mention the second Incursion match still has plenty of laggy spots, sometimes even when jumping, even on PS4, so you're pretty much stuck on Overgrowth because no one ever votes for Echelon.

In the end, I had more hope for this game over Overwatch. Because I can enjoy some PvE, especially with some friends, to farm some gear, and a slower TTK. But the gear farming is kinda meh. I would rather just have some fun PvE game modes, like Last Stand, Horde, Survival style. No respawns, just revive until last person goes down. Really not enough story in the campaign to justify a campaign imo.

Nothing else really comes to mind to blather about on it... So there's my opinion from plenty of play time.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

bcbully said:

Wildstar the moba...

It's made by the guys that developed Borderlands, a cartoon stylized, level-progression based FPS half a decade older than WildStar.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    I'll be playing more overwatch (already am) just because of the obviously huge populations blizzard games have.

In these types of games it's not about who is playing...it's about how many are playing.

I could care less if I disliked the look of a game etc. I know I will grow to like it and eventually most likely appreciate it (Smite...I'm looking at you with your flea market ugly ass models...bellona compared to video bellona anyone? Man jaw ass....anyhow...).

Sometimes we must make concessions because eh? Nothing beats the hype train and I can afford to ride said hype train over and over again until I quit out this meaningless non-important universal journey of eating,banging, and sleeping.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I want to like the game, but the aesthetics are too much. Too many bright primary colors flashing around and the character's weapon/hand often takes up nearly half the screen.

I do like how there's co-op and it's challenging and that there's moba-esque modes.

I think they just tried to do too much overall without focusing on the finer points of game-making like aesthetics.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    I really enjoy BB and while I own both it and OW I find myself playing BB most nights. It just offers more options than OW. If I wanted to follow a payload, or capture/defend a point I would really just play TF2... 8 years ago. I honestly was really expecting a lot more from Blizzard. So they had all these assets they had already spent tons of money on for Titan and when they couldn't make it fun, they just cobbled them together into a handful of tiny maps and gave some avatars three abilities a pop? Really a let down honestly. Too me it was kind of like taking Pong and putting a million dollars worth of glitter on it with expensive voice overs and selling it to the world with CGI movies recounting the backstory of the two little bars.

Is it pretty, heck yes. Is it polished, like glass. It is interesting or deep, like an empty pie tin. I found the community a lot different as well. It is all too common in OW for me to run into droves of self-important alpha players that have perfected the upside-down, double-boosted, over the shoulder, full-auto rocket gib from across the map while simultaneously calling you a scrub in chat. OW is an amazing game, don't get me wrong. But its simplistic, highly twitch dependent, frantic gameplay is very similar to being tossed into a visceral blood pit with a pack of rabid dogs. The OW log in screen needs a sign that point to the AI matches with a sign that says, "Casuals please line up here."

BB comes off a lot more strategic where multiple capture points must be guarded, leaving the front lines to recruit mercs, or altering the development of your character mid game to deal with different types of enemies is a large part of the game. I do not for a moment think that BB is going to appeal to an audience as large as OW but then again no one other than maybe Donald Trump has the money to reach an audience as large as Blizzard's. I do not count BB as a niche game, but I will say that it has too much going on for the average gamer these days who continue to ask developers to take away complex gear, development, and leveling systems in favor of arcade gameplay which OW provides in spades. Think of it, how many buttons does the average arcade machine give the player? How many buttons are associated with abilities in OW? Q, E, and Shift?

They are both amazing games and in the end it comes down to what each player enjoys. Some people love the quick pace, easy entry, fight-club that is OW while other will find more enjoyment in the slower, strategic, adaptive element that is BB. Neither is bad or good games, they are just bad or good fits for certain types of gamers.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    If I want a game similar to BB, it s Paragon. I find it WAY better then BB. Now OW kills them both, but yes different.
  • Elysion28Elysion28 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Quoting "If you watch this and don’t want to play, you’re dead inside…"
    Yeah the matchmaking of Battleborn is really DEAD INSIDE.
  • cozitefocozitefo Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by cozitefo on