Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lotro vs EQ2 - which would you choose?

Comments

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    edited May 2016
    Both games are free to play so I would try both..

LOTRO has better graphics and you probably are already familiar with the lore. You can talk to people in the world chat without paying money. The game seems a bit newer too. Some PVP is available. This game may be a bit more populated.

EQ2 has better housing and crafting is a bit funner and has more interesting races and skills. Sure there might be more zoning but the world is bigger.

I think its too hard to say that one game is better than the other but I'd probably choose EQ2. Its funner to kill mobs in I think, and that is probably what matters the most in this type of game.

Population is dwindling in both games.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited May 2016
    LOTRO

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited May 2016
    EQ2 by a long shot. But I want more than a theme park on rails and one click crafting with a quick run to the end. Which is why I'm not big on LOTRO. The only worse housing than lotro is no housing at all. 
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    209vaughn said:
    Sounds like Lotro definitley wins so far, and my guy check confirms this choice.  Someone said that you have to load into multiple zones even inside of one city?  IS THIS REAL LIFE?  My biggest MMORPG joy is exploring huge worlds with interesting little villages and big cities to find etc.  So it sounds like Lotro is better for the "explorer" in me.

Thank you everyone for the great responses btw.
    Actually the cities were revamped years ago and are now single zones, although you can move around them by using the bells which is like zoning.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    LotR for me but its personal. It launched c. 3 years after EQ2 and WoW and I think that makes a difference.

Both are still getting content; both are huge. And whilst the population of LotR isn't huge it is friendly and there are people around on the recently merged servers. Even if it is only people "earning" turbine points by questing enabling them to buy additional parts of the game. 

Both worlds are big.

The LOTR map above is only a part it of the total map. And whilst there are mounts - to and horses to places you have found - there is no flying; like it or loathe it. (Dungeons / raids / battles / skirmishes can be entered from anywhere as long as they have previously been discovered.) 
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    LOTRO has been so watered down and little to no challenge.
    EQ2 at least still retains some semblence of difficulty.

In their prime I'd pick LOTRO over EQ2, at this point I'd pick EQ2 over LOTRO
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    I play both of them myself.  I rotate thru a couple MMO's every couple of months to keep things feeling a little new. 

Right now I am playing LOTRO and my server is actually doing very well.  If you actually like questing and story this is the way to go.  It isn't to hard to find a decent kinship that is willing to show you the ropes.
    It if very easy to earn TP in this game which is the cash shop currency.  You get it from questing, dungeons, and killing certain mobs over and over - the rate needed was just lowered a ton so even easier now.  Each class actually plays differently from the other.  Would suggest playing runekeeper if you want something interesting, massive dps and good heals also.  Suggest Arkenstone US server if you decide to go this route, overall a good server.

EQ2 is also a good game but more of a solo experience right now for new players, the areas have tons of quest but you will be doing most of it alone, which if you prefer that this wouldn't be a bad choice either.  I would advise one month of sub so that you can buy a silver bag, to get you started if this is your choice.  That way you can buy some decent gear of AH to get you going.  There are tons of things to do, so if you are a completionist it will take a long time in either of these games.

But if I had to choose right now I would say give LOTRO a try and if it doesn't fit try out EQ2.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Honestly they're both great games. If I were to really boil it down I would say pick the one that you are a fan of more, i.e. if you like Tolkien, etc, go LOTRO, if you like high fantasy, go EQ2.  Both have tons of content, EQ2 probably edges out the win with raids.

Personally there were some things I didn't like about LOTRO, really 2 things.  First, they named stats different things just to be different, so instead of Strength it was might (or something like that), i.e. they didn't use "standard" RPG stat names.  This made things a bit confusing and difficult to get into initially, but obviously you adjust to that.

The main thing that turned me off LOTRO was the fact that everything operates off a weird 2 second (or so) timer, so you just kind of queue up abilities and such and it just... it just felt lazy.

Now, keep in mind I haven't played either in over 5 years and I spent a LOT more time in EQ2 than LOTRO.

I really don't think you would go wrong with either game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Both are very old and sort of antiquated. However, if I had to pick one of them - it would definitely be LOTRO. It was always a favorite of mine. EQ2 is bloated, clunky and ugly.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Have played both....LOTRO by a mile. 
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited May 2016
    I have played EQ2 off and on over the years. I currently play LOTRO.  LOTRO has a vibrant active community and is growing.  EQ2 has a great raiding community.  

Both have crafting.  But LOTRO crafting by far is much more in-depth.  As well as much more fun to do.

Both games have housing. LOTRO has community based housing(Houses next to each other).  While EQ has a more individual base housing system.  EQ2 excels on this.  There really are some spectacular houses in EQ2.

Both have very good pve systems in place.  LOTRO is very immersive.  EQ2 is immersive, but often is zoned.  While LOTRO for the most is seamless.  The atmosphere definitely goes to LOTRO.  Most immersive world out currently.  Even to many of the newer titles.

Characters for EQ2 are very very good!  A awesome variety of classes and races.  LOTRO has Tolkien races and some good classes.  They can be a bit strange for those used to cookie cutter classes from most mmo's.

My overall experience goes to LOTRO.  It is lively for both casual and power gamer alike.  There is always something to do.  Places to explore.  Because there are so many quests, tasks, deeds to do in LOTRO.  There is no cookie cutter way to level up.  Your character is completely unique.

EQ2 has much to explore.  But is level capped by zone.  You can hit quest dead zones in EQ2.  Especially that level 35-50 area.  Later leveling becomes a grind unless you can find groups to do content with.  EQ2 has incredible grouping mechanics.

EQ2 pushes a player towards subbing. LOTRO does not(Even though I am VIP, I support the game;-D)

My personal choice currently is LOTRO.  But both are good games.  Just different beasts!

Post edited by xpowderx on
  • FeralLokiFeralLoki Member UncommonPosts: 134
    LOTRO.

The world is better. Almost no zoning. The story is better. Graphics are better, but yet less resource greedy (the EQ2 engine is one of the worse optimized pile of crap of AAA MMO history). Better content, quests, gameplay, classes.

A superior game in every aspects >>> in my opinion <<< .

The only remotely positive point of EQ2 would be its housing, with free placement and more customization options. But since both games have instanced housing, nobody will ever see your house anyway. If you're into this as main aspect of a MMORPG, then you may want to try EQ2 too. If you can survive crossing several zone borders just to walk through a single city.
    i couldn't agree more with Jean-Luc_Picard. LOTRO is by far the better then EQ2 and i have played both.
  • netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    xpowderx said:Both have crafting.  But LOTRO crafting by far is much more in-depth.  As well as much more fun to do.

The last time that I returned to LOTRO, I was shocked with the state of their auction house and crafting system. The auction house barely had any crafting materials and only a few player made items. The Devs of LOTRO completely made crafting worthless. First they screwed over existing crafters that used to sell crafting tools & gathering tools by offering a multi-tool for RL cash that players can use for all crafting/gathering tasks in the game. I think it was heirloom too so it can be shared between alts. Next they screwed over players that used to sell gathered crafting materials by offering tiered "raw crafting material" bags for RL cash. Next they screwed over players who wanted to sell crafting recipes by offering tiered "crafting recipes" for RL cash. Such a in-depth crafting system where a player can ante up RL cash to power level their crafting without even stepping out of the crafting hall.

The crafting system in EQ2 is light years more advanced with multiple quest lines for crafting gear & mounts, pack mule quests and AA tree to fine tune your crafting. Also having alts with maxed out crafting skill help with advancing new alts that want to tradeskill.

Getting back to the OP's question, try both LOTRO and EQ2 and see which one you like. You might like both games.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Hrimnir said:

The main thing that turned me off LOTRO was the fact that everything operates off a weird 2 second (or so) timer, so you just kind of queue up abilities and such and it just... it just felt lazy.

Yup, LotRO (when I still played it) had a 1.5s GCD so could often feel slower paced than a lot of other similar MMORPGs and this effect often felt heightened by lack of flashy effects. 

However, LotRO is built to be a very tactical game (combat wise). There are tons and tons of inter-group skills on every class - it is very rare that you can just stand still and work through a rotation, you're always having to think of your utility skills and how you can aid your group. 

In addition, you power pool (resource for using skills) doesn't replenish itself instantly like in SW:TOR or WAR. In LotRO, you get 60-120seconds where you can blast as many skills as you like, then you're going to be stuck waiting for regen. Basically, resource management is a big thing, especially in groups, which means less instant gratification but more skill required. 
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    LoTRO easily IMO. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Both games though are exactly what burnt me out on the genre for a long time: too much emphasis on quests......LoTRO you could get more XP for running a pie across the street than for killing a 1000 trolls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited May 2016
    209vaughn said:
    I've never played either of these games before and i'm tempted to dive into an older MMORPG for the fun and adventure of exploring a new world.  Which game would everybody recommend if I were to only choose one?  Your overall opinions on the game would be very welcome!

MMORPG's that I like have large interesting worlds, active communities, plenty of non-combat stuff to do.  I'm not a huge dungeon grinder, so as long as combat is mildly fun, thats all I care about. =)
    You should try out The Lord of The Rings Online!. It is fun and plenty to do in-game!. There are many expansions to go with it as well!. Happy hunting!. :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Both games though are exactly what burnt me out on the genre for a long time: too much emphasis on quests......LoTRO you could get more XP for running a pie across the street than for killing a 1000 trolls.
    To be fair though... To a hobbit that pie was a lot more important than a smelly troll!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Why did Frodo read The Lord of the Rings 50 times?

Because it was hobbit-forming!

(I know that was lame but couldn't resist)...

• 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Nayr752 said:
    209vaughn said:
    I've never played either of these games before and i'm tempted to dive into an older MMORPG for the fun and adventure of exploring a new world.  Which game would everybody recommend if I were to only choose one?  Your overall opinions on the game would be very welcome!

MMORPG's that I like have large interesting worlds, active communities, plenty of non-combat stuff to do.  I'm not a huge dungeon grinder, so as long as combat is mildly fun, thats all I care about. =)
    You should try out The Lord of The Rings Online!. It is fun and plenty to do in-game!. There are many expansions to go with it as well!. Happy hunting!. :)
    I'm definitley excited about checking out the massive world.  I was looking at the map last night and I couldn't hardly believe how big of a world it is...  
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I couldn't get into EQ2 for some reason despite thinking the beta was decent.  LOTRO I played a lot longer and felt there was more to do.  That might have changed in EQ2 though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2016
    LoTRO you could get more XP for running a pie across the street than for killing a 1000 trolls.
    To be fair though... To a hobbit that pie was a lot more important than a smelly troll!
    Especially if those are Hornblower's pies, the best in the whole Shire!

209vaughn said:
    I'm definitley excited about checking out the massive world.  I was looking at the map last night and I couldn't hardly believe how big of a world it is...  
    Well, you can find a couple "hobbit to Isengard" runs on youtube, the best times were a bit below one hour, with speed buffs, shortcuts and running through everything in the shortest route possible. To the other direction from Bree there's maybe 2/3 the distance up to Forochel, so it is quite big - and that's just Eriador.
    Then there's Moria (behind 2 loading screens), a 10 level long under-mountain experience, and then on the other side Lórien, Mirkwood, Rohan and Gondor (plus the fluff :wink: ).
    So yep, it's quite a walk one simply does into Mordor - or not, since we're not there yet :lol: 

netglen said:
    xpowderx said:Both have crafting.  But LOTRO crafting by far is much more in-depth.  As well as much more fun to do.
    The last time that I returned to LOTRO, I was shocked with the state of their auction house and crafting system. The Devs of LOTRO completely made crafting worthless. First [...]
    I used to lament about watering up the crafting system, but you really should check better next time, because the things you mentioned are meaningless :wink:  Crafting is not worthelss, on the contrary, that's why Turbine can sell the same "insta-endgame" stuff most games are selling nowadays for leveling (Turbine too, with the Valar gifts), just for the crafting system.
    That is what you should mention if complaining about crafting, for 45 bucks (?  not sure, but somewhere around that price) you can insta-jump to the highest crafting tier. Same for crafting guilds, and also for a recipe book with all the recipes...
    I'm speaking against offline leveling / insta-level50(90) stuff since years, so adding the same for crafting is pretty awful in my eyes. What you listed, those are nothing...

Universal crafting tool, it's obsolete now, we're at level 105... (at the Bounder Bounty event they handed them out like sweets, for almost free). Not to mention, maybe you've missed it, but it's also in the crafting too, Metalsmiths can craft them for every profession.
    AH is indeed low on mats, because crafting is more direct now, you have the rare drop and you seek a crafter for making the piece you want from it, the crafter bring the regular mats, and charge you accordingly. (not sure how it will change now with the more crowded servers, but I admit I rarely monitor the system, since I always have characters for the whole spectrum, and I craft for myself everything :wink: )
    Ingredient packs, they have nothig to do with decreased mat selling. Those packs are expensive, and the item you craft from the pack (has mats for only 1 item) will be bound, so it's only good when you craft for yourself. To be honest, I hardly can imagine who would use it, but then a lifer buddy of mine just did, he said he was lazy to go around and chop a few woods (that was the missing element, the rest he had in the inventory), and since he had plenty of TPs, just grabbed a pack. It's more the exception than the rule...
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    @Po_gg ; I just received some Hornblower Pies! Man are they GOOD!  Nice post !  Also I am a newer LOTRO player and am nowhere near level 105.  Almost all my equipment and gear has been crafted.  Which is significantly better than most quest gear.

I was told by the grumpy old vets:-D, that craft gear is good til at least level 85. @netglen ; I believe you should be the one checking. NOT ME!  I will continue to play LOTRO!  Just because it is very FUN!  Including the crafting!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2016
    xpowderx said:
     Also I am a newer LOTRO player and am nowhere near level 105. 
    My bad, I wasn't clear enough, wasn't bragging or anything :wink:  just mentioned the higher levels, because those brought higher crafting tiers as well.
    While ntglen was lamenting about the Universal crafting tool, that tool is, in quality (don't know the exact numbers at the moment) somewhere around the level 65 crafted 3-in-1 tools, from your friendly Metalsmith. Nowadays you can get much better tools, simply because the crafting tiers are higher.

So, yep, anyone can buy a mid-level tool for real money, how horrible :wink:  They also can win the tool from the daily hobbit gift for free, or could grabbed it from the Bounty event, etc. 
    (heck, I got one for every character just because I'm lazy to send the tool around... so even my non-crafters who are just occasionally gathering some ore or wood, they do it with the Universal tool :lol: )
    Post edited by Po_gg on