Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The dumb flag system

12346»

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Aragon100 said:
    Aragon100 said:
    SWG to me was a disaster for PvP.   

What ruined it was:

• Getting jumped in the wild by 2 rebels (OK, no issue there)
    • Finding one of them a short time later in town
    • By the time I get in range to attack the rebel scum's "timer" expires and his flag switches
    • He becomes "covert" and I can't attack him because supposedly his identity as rebel scum is now magically secret. 
    • "Covert" rebel scum is now dancing around me laughing the whole time.

FFA Open World is great
    Faction based PvP is great as it doesn't change
    Instanced BG is not my cup of tea but at least it's consistent (not a huge fan of Esports in my RPGs)

Temporary flagging in Open World is silly to me.

What a awful PvP flag system.

Players that like such a system wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in real hardcore PvP games like old UO.

They would have ended up in trammel cause they are wannabe PvP players, more like a PK griefer then PvP player.
    LOL!

Ok, in a as you call it "real hardcore" PvP game, I hear you fight the same people all the time? Doesn't that get boring? In a open world with the TEF system you get a bunch more people who PvP. That sounds a lot more fun to me, and it was, in SWG.
    Same people? I understand you have no experience from real PvP games but in felucca UO there was many thousands of PvP players that had flagged PvP and stayed PvP.

There was no griefing 1 second switch to PvP in UO, such a system if for carebears and wannabe PvP players.

SwG PvP system sounds awful.

UO as in Ultima Online? Sure, I can understand why it had to many players. It was the first MMO and at the time there was not many MMOs to chose from. They all pretty much gathered in 1 place. I played Everquest at that time from release in 1999, but, not on any PvP servers.

I hope you find a PvP game once again that has the amount of players that you want and with the ruleset that you require. Times has changed since back then, but good luck! :)
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited May 2016
    Aragon100 said:
    Aragon100 said:
    SWG to me was a disaster for PvP.   

What ruined it was:

• Getting jumped in the wild by 2 rebels (OK, no issue there)
    • Finding one of them a short time later in town
    • By the time I get in range to attack the rebel scum's "timer" expires and his flag switches
    • He becomes "covert" and I can't attack him because supposedly his identity as rebel scum is now magically secret. 
    • "Covert" rebel scum is now dancing around me laughing the whole time.

FFA Open World is great
    Faction based PvP is great as it doesn't change
    Instanced BG is not my cup of tea but at least it's consistent (not a huge fan of Esports in my RPGs)

Temporary flagging in Open World is silly to me.

What a awful PvP flag system.

Players that like such a system wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in real hardcore PvP games like old UO.

They would have ended up in trammel cause they are wannabe PvP players, more like a PK griefer then PvP player.
    LOL!

Ok, in a as you call it "real hardcore" PvP game, I hear you fight the same people all the time? Doesn't that get boring? In a open world with the TEF system you get a bunch more people who PvP. That sounds a lot more fun to me, and it was, in SWG.
    Same people? I understand you have no experience from real PvP games but in felucca UO there was many thousands of PvP players that had flagged PvP and stayed PvP.

There was no griefing 1 second switch to PvP in UO, such a system if for carebears and wannabe PvP players.

SwG PvP system sounds awful.

UO as in Ultima Online? Sure, I can understand why it had to many players. It was the first MMO and at the time there was not many MMOs to chose from. They all pretty much gathered in 1 place. I played Everquest at that time from release in 1999, but, not on any PvP servers.

I hope you find a PvP game once again that has the amount of players that you want and with the ruleset that you require. Times has changed since back then, but good luck! :)
    Thank you appreciate that.

UO is to many still by far the best open world PvP game. Will say UO before Age of Shadows ruined it.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    UO was only the best open world PvP game AFTER they did the Felucca/Trammel split and AFTER they added in the Faction Warfare.

I still played on Siege Perilous (remaining "hardcore" server) after Renaissance, but also on the normal servers. Council of Mages for life!

Transfering between Felucca & Trammel was just like a flagging/TEF system though. If I remember right, a red (PK) could NOT transfer back to Trammel, so as a non-PK you could kill a PK in Felucca and escape to Trammel pretty easily to avoid being hunted down.

Thankfully they added in the Faction Warfare system to keep people in Felucca, but it was faction vs. faction so you couldn't just FFA if you didn't want to go Red. That's what Order vs. Chaos was for, but after Faction warfare it's pretty much the only PvP people did.

Siege still had a lot of PK vs. anti-PK, and truth be told the game made it WAY too easy to be a PK with player housing and red healers and all of that. They completely took the danger of being a PK away, you could even go into a specific town (Skara Brae or something) where you could use the bank and stuff and the guards there wouldn't instagib you if you were Red.

That's the problem with EvE too, really. If you're established out in low-sec/null-sec space, there really is absolutely no risk or real penalty for being a PK. The danger is completely null and void. Lose a ship oh well you've got insurance and a clone waiting in your corp owned hanger a few jumps away. The only danger is for a non-PK trying to run cargo or low sec missions or whatever and evading gate gank squads.

Now THAT is a horribly designed system.

Great for faction and corp warfare, the politics and territory control and all of that is unmatched, but the whole concept of PK/anti-PK is so outdated and archaic.

The idea of making the PK have to flag before they are eligible to attack someone is, in truth, a brilliant way to promote the PK/anti-PK while removing all of the hide and gank and other griefing bullshit.

They just make it too easy to be an asshole, and I find it SO funny how many quote "real" PKs are just such huge giant screaming babies when you take way their ability to jump/gank and make them take the risk.
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited May 2016
    Its nothin like uo
    Post edited by Rawyn on
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    heerobya said:
    UO was only the best open world PvP game AFTER they did the Felucca/Trammel split and AFTER they added in the Faction Warfare.

I still played on Siege Perilous (remaining "hardcore" server) after Renaissance, but also on the normal servers. Council of Mages for life!

Transfering between Felucca & Trammel was just like a flagging/TEF system though. If I remember right, a red (PK) could NOT transfer back to Trammel, so as a non-PK you could kill a PK in Felucca and escape to Trammel pretty easily to avoid being hunted down.

Thankfully they added in the Faction Warfare system to keep people in Felucca, but it was faction vs. faction so you couldn't just FFA if you didn't want to go Red. That's what Order vs. Chaos was for, but after Faction warfare it's pretty much the only PvP people did.

Siege still had a lot of PK vs. anti-PK, and truth be told the game made it WAY too easy to be a PK with player housing and red healers and all of that. They completely took the danger of being a PK away, you could even go into a specific town (Skara Brae or something) where you could use the bank and stuff and the guards there wouldn't instagib you if you were Red.

That's the problem with EvE too, really. If you're established out in low-sec/null-sec space, there really is absolutely no risk or real penalty for being a PK. The danger is completely null and void. Lose a ship oh well you've got insurance and a clone waiting in your corp owned hanger a few jumps away. The only danger is for a non-PK trying to run cargo or low sec missions or whatever and evading gate gank squads.

Now THAT is a horribly designed system.

Great for faction and corp warfare, the politics and territory control and all of that is unmatched, but the whole concept of PK/anti-PK is so outdated and archaic.

The idea of making the PK have to flag before they are eligible to attack someone is, in truth, a brilliant way to promote the PK/anti-PK while removing all of the hide and gank and other griefing bullshit.

They just make it too easy to be an asshole, and I find it SO funny how many quote "real" PKs are just such huge giant screaming babies when you take way their ability to jump/gank and make them take the risk.
    Agree.

UO after trammel was the best time in felucca.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    One of the best solutions to this was on DAOCs PVP server. 

If you attacked a player engaged with a npc unless his health was so low that you one shotted him his health would regen to 100%.

Even better, the npc he was engaged with would clear aggro, and if the fight was near it could aggress on the attacker.

Only game I ever experienced this in, but I really liked it, took out much of the ganking.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Eadan1 said:
    I don't understand the system. So you can turn on PvP flag anytime but can't run it off if someone engages you? If that's the case why would you want to have PvP flag on while you are PvE ing?

Kyleran said:
    One of the best solutions to this was on DAOCs PVP server. 

If you attacked a player engaged with a npc unless his health was so low that you one shotted him his health would regen to 100%.

Even better, the npc he was engaged with would clear aggro, and if the fight was near it could aggress on the attacker.

Only game I ever experienced this in, but I really liked it, took out much of the ganking.
    So your friend could attack you intentionally to give you full health?

Yes...of course the npc also returned to full health.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I agree with the OP here.  What a lot of people are failing to realize is this is what "hardcore" pvp players will hide behind.  You are enabling them to grief players who are willing to stand up and say they are pvp.  Basically you are driving out the pvp players who have a set of balls.  So all the balless players will stand around pve waiting for a chance to gank someone who was willing to clearly state they are a fighter.  Anyways man time to bail on this game if that is the attitude of the developers this is destined to fail.  Same crap with Archeage and the stupidity of their pvp rules which they were sadly unable to tell the difference between enabled griefing and pvp.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    If a player wants to go PvP, they should be willing to accept the consequences. Especially in an environment where they know people can just flag and kill them. In games of the past we would never be stupid enough to solo if we could be ganked. We would actually make fun of people that died in such circumstances and if they got upset, we'd boot them.

That said, its a bad ruleset. There needs to be either a full on PvP server, or PvP flagging needs to be something that applies to areas and is not something that can be toggled.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Dullahan said:
    If a player wants to go PvP, they should be willing to accept the consequences. Especially in an environment where they know people can just flag and kill them. In games of the past we would never be stupid enough to solo if we could be ganked. We would actually make fun of people that died in such circumstances and if they got upset, we'd boot them.

That said, its a bad ruleset. There needs to be either a full on PvP server, or PvP flagging needs to be something that applies to areas and is not something that can be toggled.
    You realize how unpopular OW pvp is?  Maybe its because noone is creative enough to figure it out instead of saying tuff it out you bunch of sissies.  Well you can continue to tell people to tuff it out and it will continue to be a dying form of gaming.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
    They dont want PvP Server. We must deal with bad flag system :(
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Sorry, but I love this flagging.  It's completely OPEN PvP to those who want to engange in it, but safe for thoes who don't.  PvP'ers are the biggest whiners and griefers I've ever encountered and to see the tables turned on them is priceless.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Geeky said:
    Sorry, but I love this flagging.  It's completely OPEN PvP to those who want to engange in it, but safe for thoes who don't. 
    I don't think completely open means the same thing to you as it does to me...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018