Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lotro vs EQ2 - which would you choose?

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,233
    209vaughn said:
    Sounds like Lotro definitley wins so far, and my guy check confirms this choice.   
    Like to add +1 in favour of LotRO (no surprise, I'm a fan, and never really liked EQs  :wink: )
    Agree with the above, housing may have much more options in EQ2, but in everything else LotRO is better - and the neighborhoods got some love recently and gaining a bit more "weight" beyond roleplay.
    209vaughn said:
    MMORPG's that I like have large interesting worlds, active communities, plenty of non-combat stuff to do.  I'm not a huge dungeon grinder, so as long as combat is mildly fun, thats all I care about. =)
    The world is huge (and as the captain said, almost no zoning), one of the best communities out there, and since the server transfer was finalised a couple weeks ago, the remaining servers are quite full and active.

One of the best non-combat system in games (the music system), lots of roleplay and community events, the cosmetic aspect (and fashion) is huge, and if you like you can level entirely by crafting, festivals and exploration deeds - sure, it will take a LONG time :wink:  For hobbies there's only fishing unfortunately, but you can cook them fishes right away, or mount them on your wall.

Dungeons are great, some has really cool mechanics. No need to grind them unless you like that aspect as endgame. Combat is the standard tab-target "old-school" combat, but classes still can make them interesting, even after all the revamps. Story and lore and roleplay... well, it's based on Tolkien... :wink:
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think in EQ2 at least, the housing is a game within itself. Just as the crafting is. Just like adventuring is. Some of the houses and guild halls are simply amazing in the level of creativity. My guild leader spends all her time working on the guild hall. Changing rooms, adding things, rearranging. That is the game she plays. She rarely if ever adventures or crafts anymore. She is addicted to layout and decorating.
    if she also likes building she might want to look into Rising World then
    I have it. The problem I have with it is the glacier slow development. My garden rocks though =)
    but....ok I am confused.

Here is why I dont play Rising World myself

'Its a game that contains the most I can do building wise and it has the most pretty atmosphere however things I build do not have context in the game because developer havent done that yet'

aka...eq2. I mean decorating and all

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,796
    Torval said:

On that map Ered Luin is zoned off. Almost every zone has dungeons or places to adventure that are instanced. For example in Angmar Urugarth and Carn Dum are instanced. There are more places like that.

Though it's probably important to note that not every place is accessible right off the bat. Some places require the player to be on a certain quest. 

I remember exploring one of the Orc areas and running past mobs so I could get into a sort of castle looking structure only to get the message "you must be on the appropriate quest blah blah blah" or some such thing.

Then I was butchered mercilessly by every mob that I ran by. 

I think one even peed on me ...  :(
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,178
    lol, I had to chuckle at one peed on me.

Yes, sometimes you need to meet requirements to zone into a special place, but that isn't very common most major areas. Those are usually story or quest related. I agree it would have been better if they would have let you in not matter what, but then there is a lot about both games I wish the developers had done differently.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,233
    edited May 2016
    Torval said:
    In the lowest level areas there is one major portal between zones I can think of and that is between Ered Luin and The Shire.
    Wow, either I'm a slow typer or it's a really active thread :lol:
    Pretty much what Torval wrote, dungeons and buildings, etc. are behind loading screens, but the world has almost none. Basically the mountains are the big separator, dividing the map to the western and eastern part (pre-50 level and post-60 level).
    Western part has a loading screen between the Shire and Ered Luin as mentioned above, and that's it, the rest is connected. You can see a short loading if you run through a few borders too quick, but that's more like a side-effect.

Eastern part has a few loadings, but as the story advanced the gaps were slowly filled in, there was a video (I linked it here somewhere) where a player swam through the higher level areas after the last Update which connected two previous zones.

edit: always mix the directions :lol:
    and also edit, western part has zones up to level 75 (Isengard), and you can go there even as a level 1 chicken if you're able to survive the journey. Which remind me, an another non-combat activity, the chicken play.

last edit (promise :wink: )

My chicken in the middle, on the stairs of Isengard
    (two years ago, tagging along the Taking a hobbit to Isengard, a GM-run event series. That much people, nice bodyguards :wink: )
  • 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I'm getting pretty excited about Lotro now.  As for the loading screens, I didnt' mean to make it sound like I was talking about Lotro... Someone had said that some towns in EQ have mutliple loading zones, which is a bit strange.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 859
    LotRo all day.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I like LOTR, but I couldn't get into the game.  I'm not sure what classes there are now, but when I played it was fairly limited and nothing you would want to play like a Wizard or a Ranger.  That makes sense due to the lore.  I'd likely pick EQ2 just because it has a lot more interesting classes and abilities to use in combat.  I'd rather play EQ1 overall though as I think it's combat system has a lot more freedom (no locking of mobs, no Spirit of the Wolf drops during combat, etc.)
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    edited May 2016
    Both games are free to play so I would try both..

LOTRO has better graphics and you probably are already familiar with the lore. You can talk to people in the world chat without paying money. The game seems a bit newer too. Some PVP is available. This game may be a bit more populated.

EQ2 has better housing and crafting is a bit funner and has more interesting races and skills. Sure there might be more zoning but the world is bigger.

I think its too hard to say that one game is better than the other but I'd probably choose EQ2. Its funner to kill mobs in I think, and that is probably what matters the most in this type of game.

Population is dwindling in both games.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,319
    edited May 2016
    LOTRO

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited May 2016
    EQ2 by a long shot. But I want more than a theme park on rails and one click crafting with a quick run to the end. Which is why I'm not big on LOTRO. The only worse housing than lotro is no housing at all. 
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    209vaughn said:
    Sounds like Lotro definitley wins so far, and my guy check confirms this choice.  Someone said that you have to load into multiple zones even inside of one city?  IS THIS REAL LIFE?  My biggest MMORPG joy is exploring huge worlds with interesting little villages and big cities to find etc.  So it sounds like Lotro is better for the "explorer" in me.

Thank you everyone for the great responses btw.
    Actually the cities were revamped years ago and are now single zones, although you can move around them by using the bells which is like zoning.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    LotR for me but its personal. It launched c. 3 years after EQ2 and WoW and I think that makes a difference.

Both are still getting content; both are huge. And whilst the population of LotR isn't huge it is friendly and there are people around on the recently merged servers. Even if it is only people "earning" turbine points by questing enabling them to buy additional parts of the game. 

Both worlds are big.

The LOTR map above is only a part it of the total map. And whilst there are mounts - to and horses to places you have found - there is no flying; like it or loathe it. (Dungeons / raids / battles / skirmishes can be entered from anywhere as long as they have previously been discovered.) 
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 152
    LOTRO has been so watered down and little to no challenge.
    EQ2 at least still retains some semblence of difficulty.

In their prime I'd pick LOTRO over EQ2, at this point I'd pick EQ2 over LOTRO
  • k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,328
    I play both of them myself.  I rotate thru a couple MMO's every couple of months to keep things feeling a little new. 

Right now I am playing LOTRO and my server is actually doing very well.  If you actually like questing and story this is the way to go.  It isn't to hard to find a decent kinship that is willing to show you the ropes.
    It if very easy to earn TP in this game which is the cash shop currency.  You get it from questing, dungeons, and killing certain mobs over and over - the rate needed was just lowered a ton so even easier now.  Each class actually plays differently from the other.  Would suggest playing runekeeper if you want something interesting, massive dps and good heals also.  Suggest Arkenstone US server if you decide to go this route, overall a good server.

EQ2 is also a good game but more of a solo experience right now for new players, the areas have tons of quest but you will be doing most of it alone, which if you prefer that this wouldn't be a bad choice either.  I would advise one month of sub so that you can buy a silver bag, to get you started if this is your choice.  That way you can buy some decent gear of AH to get you going.  There are tons of things to do, so if you are a completionist it will take a long time in either of these games.

But if I had to choose right now I would say give LOTRO a try and if it doesn't fit try out EQ2.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,414

Honestly they're both great games. If I were to really boil it down I would say pick the one that you are a fan of more, i.e. if you like Tolkien, etc, go LOTRO, if you like high fantasy, go EQ2.  Both have tons of content, EQ2 probably edges out the win with raids.

Personally there were some things I didn't like about LOTRO, really 2 things.  First, they named stats different things just to be different, so instead of Strength it was might (or something like that), i.e. they didn't use "standard" RPG stat names.  This made things a bit confusing and difficult to get into initially, but obviously you adjust to that.

The main thing that turned me off LOTRO was the fact that everything operates off a weird 2 second (or so) timer, so you just kind of queue up abilities and such and it just... it just felt lazy.

Now, keep in mind I haven't played either in over 5 years and I spent a LOT more time in EQ2 than LOTRO.

I really don't think you would go wrong with either game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Both are very old and sort of antiquated. However, if I had to pick one of them - it would definitely be LOTRO. It was always a favorite of mine. EQ2 is bloated, clunky and ugly.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 790
    Have played both....LOTRO by a mile. 
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited May 2016
    I have played EQ2 off and on over the years. I currently play LOTRO.  LOTRO has a vibrant active community and is growing.  EQ2 has a great raiding community.  

Both have crafting.  But LOTRO crafting by far is much more in-depth.  As well as much more fun to do.

Both games have housing. LOTRO has community based housing(Houses next to each other).  While EQ has a more individual base housing system.  EQ2 excels on this.  There really are some spectacular houses in EQ2.

Both have very good pve systems in place.  LOTRO is very immersive.  EQ2 is immersive, but often is zoned.  While LOTRO for the most is seamless.  The atmosphere definitely goes to LOTRO.  Most immersive world out currently.  Even to many of the newer titles.

Characters for EQ2 are very very good!  A awesome variety of classes and races.  LOTRO has Tolkien races and some good classes.  They can be a bit strange for those used to cookie cutter classes from most mmo's.

My overall experience goes to LOTRO.  It is lively for both casual and power gamer alike.  There is always something to do.  Places to explore.  Because there are so many quests, tasks, deeds to do in LOTRO.  There is no cookie cutter way to level up.  Your character is completely unique.

EQ2 has much to explore.  But is level capped by zone.  You can hit quest dead zones in EQ2.  Especially that level 35-50 area.  Later leveling becomes a grind unless you can find groups to do content with.  EQ2 has incredible grouping mechanics.

EQ2 pushes a player towards subbing. LOTRO does not(Even though I am VIP, I support the game;-D)

My personal choice currently is LOTRO.  But both are good games.  Just different beasts!

Post edited by xpowderx on
  • FeralLokiFeralLoki Member UncommonPosts: 130
    LOTRO.

The world is better. Almost no zoning. The story is better. Graphics are better, but yet less resource greedy (the EQ2 engine is one of the worse optimized pile of crap of AAA MMO history). Better content, quests, gameplay, classes.

A superior game in every aspects >>> in my opinion <<< .

The only remotely positive point of EQ2 would be its housing, with free placement and more customization options. But since both games have instanced housing, nobody will ever see your house anyway. If you're into this as main aspect of a MMORPG, then you may want to try EQ2 too. If you can survive crossing several zone borders just to walk through a single city.
    i couldn't agree more with Jean-Luc_Picard. LOTRO is by far the better then EQ2 and i have played both.
  • netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    xpowderx said:Both have crafting.  But LOTRO crafting by far is much more in-depth.  As well as much more fun to do.

The last time that I returned to LOTRO, I was shocked with the state of their auction house and crafting system. The auction house barely had any crafting materials and only a few player made items. The Devs of LOTRO completely made crafting worthless. First they screwed over existing crafters that used to sell crafting tools & gathering tools by offering a multi-tool for RL cash that players can use for all crafting/gathering tasks in the game. I think it was heirloom too so it can be shared between alts. Next they screwed over players that used to sell gathered crafting materials by offering tiered "raw crafting material" bags for RL cash. Next they screwed over players who wanted to sell crafting recipes by offering tiered "crafting recipes" for RL cash. Such a in-depth crafting system where a player can ante up RL cash to power level their crafting without even stepping out of the crafting hall.

The crafting system in EQ2 is light years more advanced with multiple quest lines for crafting gear & mounts, pack mule quests and AA tree to fine tune your crafting. Also having alts with maxed out crafting skill help with advancing new alts that want to tradeskill.

Getting back to the OP's question, try both LOTRO and EQ2 and see which one you like. You might like both games.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,671
    Hrimnir said:

The main thing that turned me off LOTRO was the fact that everything operates off a weird 2 second (or so) timer, so you just kind of queue up abilities and such and it just... it just felt lazy.

Yup, LotRO (when I still played it) had a 1.5s GCD so could often feel slower paced than a lot of other similar MMORPGs and this effect often felt heightened by lack of flashy effects. 

However, LotRO is built to be a very tactical game (combat wise). There are tons and tons of inter-group skills on every class - it is very rare that you can just stand still and work through a rotation, you're always having to think of your utility skills and how you can aid your group. 

In addition, you power pool (resource for using skills) doesn't replenish itself instantly like in SW:TOR or WAR. In LotRO, you get 60-120seconds where you can blast as many skills as you like, then you're going to be stuck waiting for regen. Basically, resource management is a big thing, especially in groups, which means less instant gratification but more skill required. 
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    LoTRO easily IMO. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,748
    Both games though are exactly what burnt me out on the genre for a long time: too much emphasis on quests......LoTRO you could get more XP for running a pie across the street than for killing a 1000 trolls.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,450
    Both games though are exactly what burnt me out on the genre for a long time: too much emphasis on quests......LoTRO you could get more XP for running a pie across the street than for killing a 1000 trolls.
    Every one of those Trolls deserved it. Jerk Trolls. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다