Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lotro vs EQ2 - which would you choose?

209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
I've never played either of these games before and i'm tempted to dive into an older MMORPG for the fun and adventure of exploring a new world.  Which game would everybody recommend if I were to only choose one?  Your overall opinions on the game would be very welcome!

MMORPG's that I like have large interesting worlds, active communities, plenty of non-combat stuff to do.  I'm not a huge dungeon grinder, so as long as combat is mildly fun, thats all I care about. =)

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    I would literally have to be paid a working wage to play EQ2 before I came back. LOTR I have never played

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    LOTRO all they way. Way more immersive if you are a Tolkien fan like me.

SEANMCAD said:
    I would literally have to be paid a working wage to play EQ2 before I came back. LOTR I have never played
    You should give it a try, it's free. Yeah, it's a "theme park" like those you say you don't like, but it's worth the time just to visit parts of Middle-Earth like The Shire if you are a fan of the books, since Turbine did an amazing job recreating those.
    well you know my gaming style I think if its in the same group as EQ2 I think my time would be better elsewhere. Again we agree its not a bad game, its just that my other options to me are wide and better.

Currently I am thinking of giving The Forest a go but its a little overly creepy

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

EQ2 all day everyday. It is no secret I am a fan and I still sub, by all the xpacs and play it daily.
     I love crafting and heritage quests. I spend almost all my time crafting and selling and doing heritage quests, which to me, are the best quests in the genre. LOTRO classes turned me off to the game. I like the world but I just did not 'feel' it. I have nothing terrible to say about the game other than the classes are not as fun to me as EQ2's wealthy of classes are. From a RP stand point I would argue EQ2 is just as good. I play in a RP guild and we never leave character. I love the game it is just very long in the tooth and I do not believe it has aged very well. On top of that DBG is not winning me over with some of the decisions they have made and are making. I fear my time with EQ2 may be coming to a close. Yet what a ride it has been. 
    How dare you not like LOTRO more :p

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I believe EQ2 has more content, classes, races, zones, dungeons, etc.  The combat, animations, and models look better too.  So if you want that, go for EQ2, but if you want the LotR story, go for Lotro.  The combat and animations aren't that great though.  It just depends what you value more.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited May 2016
    I have played both these games and I feel it is simply unfair to compare one against the other because they both have so many good things about them that make playing them a real adventure. I was very addicted to the housing in EQ2 and since people visit your home as you can sell from your home since it is cheaper for people to visit your home and and buy the item it is untrue to claim that no one will see your home because it is instanced. They also have the ability to grade the homes so you get to  praise the homes you like.

Housing there is simply no contest LoTRO fails miserably there. Crafting is also better in EQ2.

Both have very good quests and some of the quests in both games are very well done. I think both games excel in this area.

As for grouping and classes for me EQ 2 has an edge here as the dungeons are quite well done and require good teamwork but LoTRO and EQ 2 both do well in this area.

I think the time locked servers in Everquest2 were a very good idea but require a sub. The world is very beautiful in LoTRO I really liked the art and some of the zones were quite breathtaking.

You should try both games and then decide for yourself. The population however is not that great I think on both games except on certain severs so choose wisely which server you should play on.
    Chamber of Chains
    its ironic how some consider EQ2 to have the best crafting and yet from my gaming experience (as someone who plays mostly crafting/building games) I think it has the least best crafting system I have ever played. same is true for housing.

anyway I am not sure if that is difference in taste or if its difference in gaming experience.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    About the housing the absolute freedom of placement and immense choice in items make it superior in my opinion. Here's my home decide for yourself  http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/437712/everquest-2-housing/p1

Look further down on the page and I have put screenshots of the house I spent hours and hours on. Most of it were crafted by me.
    Chamber of Chains
    In Lotro you can live in a Hobbit homestead and go fishing and stuff...

Game Over LOTRO wins next topic  B)

cheyane said:
    About the housing the absolute freedom of placement and immense choice in items make it superior in my opinion. Here's my home decide for yourself  http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/437712/everquest-2-housing/p1

Look further down on the page and I have put screenshots of the house I spent hours and hours on. Most of it were crafted by me.
    how much of the housing crafted stuff have a purpose to your character or outside of the house itself.

I ask because when I played I am pretty sure it was zero or very close to it. I mean for a perspective in the games I play I tend to build a house because I need to it. I need it to place something that makes a ship or something, I need it to cook food so I will not die, i need it to protect myself from a horde. etc. I consider that to be good housing. Lack of that is what leaves me not playing games like Rising World, because you can create a lot of amazing stuff but non of it has a purpose

SEANMCAD said:
    cheyane said:

how much of the housing crafted stuff have a purpose to your character or outside of the house itself.
    Pretty much why I said BDO had better housing. Not only the system is better (phasing instead of instancing, blends seamlessly in he world), but you also have free placement of your elements AND almost every element has a purpose for your character and is not just ornamental.

But between EQ2 and LOTRO - if you're into housing decoration and spending many hours into it, EQ2 is the better game. No doubt.
    BDO sounds like what a housing system should be. The last part most important in my view.

to be clear not ALL houses or rooms has to have a point but if none of them do it can be frustrating (at least in my view)

• 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited May 2016
    Sounds like Lotro definitley wins so far, and my guy check confirms this choice.  Someone said that you have to load into multiple zones even inside of one city?  IS THIS REAL LIFE?  My biggest MMORPG joy is exploring huge worlds with interesting little villages and big cities to find etc.  So it sounds like Lotro is better for the "explorer" in me.

Thank you everyone for the great responses btw.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2016
    Neither for me. Would choose EQ2 if it had a good engine. Would choose LotRO but i did not enjoy any of the classes in the game for some reason.

EDIT: since both have reasons for me not to play them, if i had to choose one it would be whichever has less gameplay restrictions to force the cash shop on people.

I think in EQ2 at least, the housing is a game within itself. Just as the crafting is. Just like adventuring is. Some of the houses and guild halls are simply amazing in the level of creativity. My guild leader spends all her time working on the guild hall. Changing rooms, adding things, rearranging. That is the game she plays. She rarely if ever adventures or crafts anymore. She is addicted to layout and decorating.
    if she also likes building she might want to look into Rising World then

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    209vaughn said:
    Sounds like Lotro definitley wins so far, and my guy check confirms this choice.   
    Like to add +1 in favour of LotRO (no surprise, I'm a fan, and never really liked EQs  :wink: )
    Agree with the above, housing may have much more options in EQ2, but in everything else LotRO is better - and the neighborhoods got some love recently and gaining a bit more "weight" beyond roleplay.
    209vaughn said:
    MMORPG's that I like have large interesting worlds, active communities, plenty of non-combat stuff to do.  I'm not a huge dungeon grinder, so as long as combat is mildly fun, thats all I care about. =)
    The world is huge (and as the captain said, almost no zoning), one of the best communities out there, and since the server transfer was finalised a couple weeks ago, the remaining servers are quite full and active.

One of the best non-combat system in games (the music system), lots of roleplay and community events, the cosmetic aspect (and fashion) is huge, and if you like you can level entirely by crafting, festivals and exploration deeds - sure, it will take a LONG time :wink:  For hobbies there's only fishing unfortunately, but you can cook them fishes right away, or mount them on your wall.

Dungeons are great, some has really cool mechanics. No need to grind them unless you like that aspect as endgame. Combat is the standard tab-target "old-school" combat, but classes still can make them interesting, even after all the revamps. Story and lore and roleplay... well, it's based on Tolkien... :wink:
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think in EQ2 at least, the housing is a game within itself. Just as the crafting is. Just like adventuring is. Some of the houses and guild halls are simply amazing in the level of creativity. My guild leader spends all her time working on the guild hall. Changing rooms, adding things, rearranging. That is the game she plays. She rarely if ever adventures or crafts anymore. She is addicted to layout and decorating.
    if she also likes building she might want to look into Rising World then
    I have it. The problem I have with it is the glacier slow development. My garden rocks though =)
    but....ok I am confused.

Here is why I dont play Rising World myself

'Its a game that contains the most I can do building wise and it has the most pretty atmosphere however things I build do not have context in the game because developer havent done that yet'

aka...eq2. I mean decorating and all

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Torval said:

On that map Ered Luin is zoned off. Almost every zone has dungeons or places to adventure that are instanced. For example in Angmar Urugarth and Carn Dum are instanced. There are more places like that.

Though it's probably important to note that not every place is accessible right off the bat. Some places require the player to be on a certain quest. 

I remember exploring one of the Orc areas and running past mobs so I could get into a sort of castle looking structure only to get the message "you must be on the appropriate quest blah blah blah" or some such thing.

Then I was butchered mercilessly by every mob that I ran by. 

I think one even peed on me ...  :(
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2016
    Torval said:
    In the lowest level areas there is one major portal between zones I can think of and that is between Ered Luin and The Shire.
    Wow, either I'm a slow typer or it's a really active thread :lol:
    Pretty much what Torval wrote, dungeons and buildings, etc. are behind loading screens, but the world has almost none. Basically the mountains are the big separator, dividing the map to the western and eastern part (pre-50 level and post-60 level).
    Western part has a loading screen between the Shire and Ered Luin as mentioned above, and that's it, the rest is connected. You can see a short loading if you run through a few borders too quick, but that's more like a side-effect.

Eastern part has a few loadings, but as the story advanced the gaps were slowly filled in, there was a video (I linked it here somewhere) where a player swam through the higher level areas after the last Update which connected two previous zones.

edit: always mix the directions :lol:
    and also edit, western part has zones up to level 75 (Isengard), and you can go there even as a level 1 chicken if you're able to survive the journey. Which remind me, an another non-combat activity, the chicken play.

last edit (promise :wink: )

My chicken in the middle, on the stairs of Isengard
    (two years ago, tagging along the Taking a hobbit to Isengard, a GM-run event series. That much people, nice bodyguards :wink: )
  • 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I'm getting pretty excited about Lotro now.  As for the loading screens, I didnt' mean to make it sound like I was talking about Lotro... Someone had said that some towns in EQ have mutliple loading zones, which is a bit strange.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    LotRo all day.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I like LOTR, but I couldn't get into the game.  I'm not sure what classes there are now, but when I played it was fairly limited and nothing you would want to play like a Wizard or a Ranger.  That makes sense due to the lore.  I'd likely pick EQ2 just because it has a lot more interesting classes and abilities to use in combat.  I'd rather play EQ1 overall though as I think it's combat system has a lot more freedom (no locking of mobs, no Spirit of the Wolf drops during combat, etc.)