Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone planning on playing No mans sky?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I'm waiting to see what there will be to do other than fly around and land on planets. Are there different factions you can work for? Is there any sort of territory control? Can you start your own faction? Can you fly capital ships? Can you strip mine planets for resources? Can you build vehicles to drive around with? Are there actual NPCs? If so, can you hire them for various tasks, or have them as wingmen? Can there be massive space battles between fleets of capships? And so on...

I was excited until I heard that there would be one biome per planet. I'm sorry, but that's really fucking stupid. I'd rather have a hundred highly detailed planets with different biomes like swamps, tundras, jungles, poles, etc. than a hundred million planets (most of which the majority of people won't even SEE) all done in such a simplistic fashion.

Waiting for more information, and unless I can get a really good deal on a pre-order (like with DOOM for $45) I'll wait for both professional and player reviews before purchasing. 

There's just too many unknowns at this time. Other than procedural generation, what makes it better than say, SPAZ 2, Starpoint Gemini 2 / Warlords, or Elite: Dangerous w/Frontiers?
    Although i dont watch the game closely so I am not sure all the details I will say about a month ago they dropped a metric ton of actual information. But your right in that prior to that people where making a metric ton of assumptions based on pretty much nothing

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm waiting to see what there will be to do other than fly around and land on planets. Are there different factions you can work for? Is there any sort of territory control? Can you start your own faction? Can you fly capital ships? Can you strip mine planets for resources? Can you build vehicles to drive around with? Are there actual NPCs? If so, can you hire them for various tasks, or have them as wingmen? Can there be massive space battles between fleets of capships? And so on...

I was excited until I heard that there would be one biome per planet. I'm sorry, but that's really fucking stupid. I'd rather have a hundred highly detailed planets with different biomes like swamps, tundras, jungles, poles, etc. than a hundred million planets (most of which the majority of people won't even SEE) all done in such a simplistic fashion.

Waiting for more information, and unless I can get a really good deal on a pre-order (like with DOOM for $45) I'll wait for both professional and player reviews before purchasing. 

There's just too many unknowns at this time. Other than procedural generation, what makes it better than say, SPAZ 2, Starpoint Gemini 2 / Warlords, or Elite: Dangerous w/Frontiers?
    I would STRONGLY recommend that you don't buy NMS until after launch and you've had the chance to watch some extended game play on Twitch or YouTube. I don't think you will enjoy NMS.

NMS is not a simulation, it's nowhere near as "realistic" as Elite:Dangerous, for instance. NMS dropped realism in favour of game play, much of the mechanics are stylised and abstract, the game world is definitely not "photo-realistic" in the way that E:D or even Star Citizen portrays the galaxy.
  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

I would STRONGLY recommend that you don't buy NMS until after launch and you've had the chance to watch some extended game play on Twitch or YouTube. I don't think you will enjoy NMS.

NMS is not a simulation, it's nowhere near as "realistic" as Elite:Dangerous, for instance. NMS dropped realism in favour of game play, much of the mechanics are stylised and abstract, the game world is definitely not "photo-realistic" in the way that E:D or even Star Citizen portrays the galaxy.
    But for the people that want to explore and name things, that feeling will be lost if you wait after release. Sure you can still explore. but for people who've seen current gameplay trailers and have been looking for a space exploration game, with the chance to be the first at lots of different things, those kind of players will not wait.
    edited May 2016
    Tsuru said:

But for the people that want to explore and name things, that feeling will be lost if you wait after release. Sure you can still explore. but for people who've seen current gameplay trailers and have been looking for a space exploration game, with the chance to be the first at lots of different things, those kind of players will not wait.
    that last statement is what really gets me fired up.

there are PLENTY of space exploration games where you can explore, fight, build all of it

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited May 2016

You misunderstand me. I know it's going to be very 'arcadey' in terms of controls, physics, and the like. SPAZ2 is much the same way, and it's pretty good, if a bit grindy. I was asking more in terms of features, not basic game play. In fact, I'd say of the games I listed that Elite: Dangerous is probably my least favorite one. 

SEANMCAD said:

there are PLENTY of space exploration games where you can explore, fight, build all of it

None of those are on the same level of scale as NMS
    Less planets, sure. But AFAIK in terms of mechanics, NMS is way behind. You can't build any structures, for example. And I'm pretty sure you can't design a ship, then upload it so other people can try it out. 

But that's my problem. The game is a month from release, yet there's comparatively little information about it. 

Let me ask you this: What's the point of having 100 billion planets when the average user might only ever see a couple hundred at best? I'm concerned because they seem to be pushing the quantity over the quality. Other than naming a planet and some of the creatures on it, what is the point of exploring one? It's an entire planet consisting of one biome. That's going to be VERY boring to explore. 

Hello Games needs to start spilling the damn beans. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

But none of those are like NMS ! :D 

If you've watched the NMS game play vids, and you still see no difference between NMS and those games you've listed, then I'd recommend you forget about NMS and move on to other things ! :D 
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

If you've watched the NMS game play vids, and you still see no difference between NMS and those games you've listed, then I'd recommend you forget about NMS and move on to other things ! :D 
    all games unless I am mistaked do the following
     1. infinite universe? check
     2. land on planets? check
     3. harvest materials? check
    4. combat? check
    5. build? NMS does not.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    edited May 2016

Tsuru said:

4 of the games are early access. Not released. Elite dangerous, yes ill give you that one, its a great game. 
    edited May 2016
    Tsuru said:

Tsuru said:

4 of the games are early access. Not released. Elite dangerous, yes ill give you that one, its a great game. 
    your loss to not play early access..

but to say they are not like NMS when in fact they are like NMS is a bit retarded

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

4. combat? check
    5. build? NMS does not.
    Yes, yes we get it.  There are multiple games which you believe have similar system to no mans sky.  I think restating your point 5 times is more than enough.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Jonnyp2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

4. combat? check
    5. build? NMS does not.
    Yes, yes we get it.  There are multiple games which you believe have similar system to no mans sky.  I think restating your point 5 times is more than enough.
    actually i dont think its enough but thanks for your observation.

Like I stated. It is the scale of NMS that is what has everyone so excited. None of those games compare to it in sheer scope.

"Hello Games co-founder, Sean Murray, explained that the development team started out using 32-bit numbers to generate the planets in the universe. Using the 32-bit formula, it would take somewhere between four and five thousand years to visit every planet in the game for just a one second stop on each. That sounds pretty massive to us, but the team wanted to go bigger.

By stepping the scale up to 64-bit numbers, the number of planets is increased roughly to 2 to the power of 64. That exponentially increases the scale of things and means that it would take roughly five billion years to visit each planet for one second."

http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-game-size-hours/

but they do is the point

Elite Dangerous is almost infinite in size
    Space Engineers is not infinite but what you can do on the planets is considerably more
    StarMade is almost infinite in size 
    Emperim is not but there is more you can do on the planets 

AND all of them are playable right now.

so I dont agree with you there at all

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

4. combat? check
    5. build? NMS does not.
    What is your point ?

If you're saying that all the games you listed have identical features, what makes anyone choose any one of them in particular ?

People watch game play and see combinations of features (and how those are implemented) that appeal to them. Gaming is a matter of entertainment, and has more in common with emotion than logic.
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

4. combat? check
    5. build? NMS does not.
    What is your point ?

If you're saying that all the games you listed have identical features, what makes anyone choose any one of them in particular ?

People watch game play and see combinations of features (and how those are implemented) that appeal to them. Gaming is a matter of entertainment, and has more in common with emotion than logic.
    NO I am saying people have been saying 'no other game does this' when refering to NMS when in fact games do exist that you can play right now that does what NMS does and I might add before people even knew for sure what NMS could do.

look at it from my view, having played these games (not all of them) comments like 'no other game has tried this' just sounds silly

edited May 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm excited about NMS from the bit of info we have.

I really dislike Elite:Dangerous...it isn't very good overall.  Just flying the damn ship and docking etc requires hours and hours of crap you need to go through to figure it out.  I would like to play the game and not require hours to fly a realistic spaceship.

Hopefully this game is much better.  It definitely looks like a different focus, so I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

edited May 2016
    Being infinite in size is not the same. NMS is a fully realized universe with the planet exploration being the difference and the selling point. Each planet is a fully realized ecosystem unto itself. With unique fauna and animals. Those other games may have planet exploration(not all of them) but not to this degree.

Just to add. Many people call this a combination of Elite and GTA.
    lets break that down a bit

1. a universe so big I will never be able to explore it all

vs

2. a universe so big I will never be able to explore it all because its infinite.

net result is the same for the end player, why would they be more excited about one or not the other? yeah I am not buying into that logic sorry.

people I think where and are excited because you can land on planets and the universe is big and they think its never been done before or forget that other games have done it because the koolaid is that strong

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Pre-ordered it on Steam the day it became available to do so.  Obviously PC was the choice, because I want to try it with VR, triple monitors, and 4K.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

4. combat? check
    5. build? NMS does not.
    What is your point ?

NO I am saying people have been saying 'no other game does this' when refering to NMS when in fact games do exist that you can play right now that does what NMS does and I might add before people even knew for sure what NMS could do.

look at it from my view, having played these games (not all of them) comments like 'no other game has tried this' just sounds silly
    I'm looking forward to discovering how NMS works, how to get everything upgraded enough so that I can reach the center of the galaxy and "solve the puzzle" of getting there.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the weird varieties of creatures and terrain that the procedural generation can come up with.

I'm looking forward to the discussions, screenshots, speculation, etc. that will be generated by a game where everyone plays the same game, but everyone's game experience will be unique. Sometimes subtly different, sometimes drastically. That in itself will be fascinating.

These are the things that appeal to me in NMS. 
    Pre-ordered it on Steam the day it became available to do so.  Obviously PC was the choice, because I want to try it with VR, triple monitors, and 4K.
    why did you pre-order a digital item?

hand to god the last pre-order i watched (and I joke you not) LITERALLY went on sale (as in discounted price) in the afternoon of its release date 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited May 2016
    It is not about logic. You are missing the point of the game. It caters to a different gamer than some of those that you listed.

"Developer Hello Games delved into what you actually do in the game, aside from just flying your ship across space looking for new worlds to name after rude words. If we were wearing our lazy journalistic comparison hat, we’d say No Man’s Sky appears to be a mix of Elite and Grand Theft Auto -- you can choose to be a warrior, a trader, an explorer or a mix of all three, but if you do anything wrong, expect to have the space police chasing after you.

When you find a new planet in No Man’s Sky, the idea is to scan for a beacon in order to name the planet. Once you name that planet, that’s how it will be known to everyone else through the galaxy. To answer some immediate questions: Yes, you can give multiple planets the same name (if you want them all named after you, for example). Yes, there will be some filters on what you can and can’t name planets. And yes, they really are huge in scale. Or as Murray keeps saying: “Our planets are planet-sized”.

When you land on a planet, the idea is to scan for beacons and other points of interest. Some life forms will be hostile, but most of the wildlife is friendly. If you shoot at the innocent inhabitants of a planet, a local enforcement sentinel will take an interest. Continue to misbehave, and your wanted level will rise, much like in Grand Theft Auto, with stronger and stronger law enforcement units at each level. Get a wanted level 5 and the huge walkers come in. Thankfully, you have a rechargeable shield that protects you, but once that’s gone, there’s only five hit points between you and death.

Most people won’t want to destroy the local wildlife though, at least according to Hello Games. “You will find creatures you want to share,” says Murray. “If you’ve been travelling for tens of hours, what you’ve collected becomes a point of pride.” Other players will be able to see what you’ve discovered in your profile -- a screen that currently looks very similar to the profile screen in Destiny.

Murray also hopes that you’ll want to explore the galaxy out of your own curiosity, finding relics from previous civilisations on your travels. Nearly all of the content in the game is procedurally generated: from the worlds, to the ships and even the weapons -- No Man’s Sky has thousands of unique-looking weapons. You also need to discover new technology on your travels -- technology determines how far you can jump through hyperspace to find new worlds."

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/no-man-s-sky-review#qsFMGZKlC1bXdECV.99

It's ok if it does not appeal to you. It is an indie game though so I figured you would dig it =)

PLEASE answer this question

what kind of gamer perfers

a huge universe in which they will never be able to see completely
    vs
    an infinite universe in which they will never be able to see completely

because THAT is what you were talking about so I assume your potion has not change in that respect

dont do this..please dont be that guy you are smarter than that

FYI: I read that description and I do not see anything that is novel or different from the games I described other than being able to name your planet.

oh and what the fuck is 'like GTA you can be a warrior' that does even makes sense let alone being a suggestion to a class system which you dont even need in a skill based system