Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone planning on playing No mans sky?

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Folks folks folks. I don't mean to ruin Santa Claus and Easter Bunny cheer for anyone but articles and interviews don't magically appear across multiple media outlets at the same time. No Mans Sky clearly had a pretty decent PR/Marketing campaign put together for them.

With that said, you don't need a super absorbent amount of money for a campaign of this nature. It's something an indie company is capable of funding with the right agency. Some of you are behaving like they dropped a commercial during the Superbowl. It's not that serious. Colbert has independent musicians on his show all the time. They didn't pay "out the ass".

Aside from this, the game looks incredible if you're into full time exploration. I personally need a bit more. I'd need to see more before picking it up and playing.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    Folks folks folks. I don't mean to ruin Santa Claus and Easter Bunny cheer for anyone but articles and interviews don't magically appear across multiple media outlets at the same time. No Mans Sky clearly had a pretty decent PR/Marketing campaign put together for them.

With that said, you don't need a super absorbent amount of money for a campaign of this nature. It's something an indie company is capable of funding with the right agency. Some of you are behaving like they dropped a commercial during the Superbowl. It's not that serious. Colbert has independent musicians on his show all the time. They didn't pay "out the ass".

Aside from this, the game looks incredible if you're into full time exploration. I personally need a bit more. I'd need to see more before picking it up and playing.
    actually you do needs a lot of cash.

From my understanding AAA game budgets include marketing which makes up for more than 50% of the entire budget.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

pantaro said:
    I was interested, but every time I see this game all anyone talks about is, "millions and millions of undiscovered worlds!" If the main content is just wandering around looking at new places I'll pass. If I want to sight-see, I can do that in real life.
    I'm sure my roommate is gonna make me buy it at gunpoint,but this is also my biggest concern.tell me i can eventually build stuff on planets and i would be sold!
    honestly...just take a look at Space Engineers and ask yourself why is No Man Sky so popular.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:

When you take about 3 of the games that currently exist that can do as much AND MORE than No Mans Sky I have to often wonder why are people getting excited about this game that at the time we knew very little about.

Well the answer is Marketing. Marketing is NOT just adds, its a full blown strategy involving paying consultants to try and get on shows, try to get articles writen etc.

well that takes money.

No, there's this old an outdated concept known as "word-of-mouth" !

I've been following this game ever since 2013's E3. The Reddit subforum for NMS has 50K subs.

At E3 2013, the NMS trailer amazed the crowds.

At E3 2014, NMS won 3 awards: "Best Original Game" & "Best Independent Game" & "Special Commendation for Innovation".

Several game sites have run extended coverage of NMS, usually around E3 time every year.

The media has also covered it extensively because of its "uniqueness". It's colorful, different and is not centered around combat and/or PVP. The game has just captured many people's imaginations.

Procedural generation is not unique to NMS, but their's is the most ambitious use of it to date. In Elite, the procedural generation is used to create the planets and stars, but different colored balls get old fast. In E:D you can land on planets, but they are barren moons. Life will supposedly come to E:D's planets at some undisclosed point in the future.

PS: There's an actual NMS forum on MMORPG.COM nowadays... :D
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

When you take about 3 of the games that currently exist that can do as much AND MORE than No Mans Sky I have to often wonder why are people getting excited about this game that at the time we knew very little about.

Well the answer is Marketing. Marketing is NOT just adds, its a full blown strategy involving paying consultants to try and get on shows, try to get articles writen etc.

well that takes money.

No, there's this old an outdated concept known as "word-of-mouth" !
    myth and manufactured PR. If that was true I am POSITIVE Space Engineers would be having about 10x the press that No Man Sky has of which has a TON more features then what is known or what was known about No Mans Sky.

Word of mouth from a video of a guy flying a space ship with no detailed information about the game? total rock solid bullshit

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    SEANMCAD said:

From my understanding AAA game budgets include marketing which makes up for more than 50% of the entire budget.
    That's not accurate, an independent studio does not need an AAA budget for the campaign No Man's Sky received. It takes a good PR/Marketing person or Agency who has relationships. What do you feel is the most expensive piece of press they've received? Colbert?

Hello Games Communications Manager is a guy named Matthew Reynolds who used to work at Digital Spy. Maybe contact and ask him or something. It's better than baseless speculation.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Everything I have read and heard is  that you will not physically encounter other players. You encounter traces of them instead. Basicly npc's they have named, stuff like that. But you never physically encounter another actual player. It's not a XWing type of game or anything. You can't group up with other players and work towards a goal things like that. 

Back in 2014 the plan was to have multiplayer like that but over the last two years that changed ALOT as all of there testing showed it really just did not work with the way they wanted the game to play.

Think of it like Darksouls where you can see traces of what people have done before. That's more or less what I have gotten from reading lately. They wanted to stay far away from making it into a MMO / Large scale multiplayer game.
    Thomas this is untrue. They've said in multiple articles that multiplayer is supported. But the chances of finding someone is incredibly rare. You can indeed add friends and go to their location and see them in real time. People are just failing to realize the scope of how big this game is. They are finding it impossible to wrap their heads around the fact that the game world can truely be THAT HUGE, plus the brain has trouble truely visualizing a game world of that size. 

Regardless of this, they have stated that you CAN find your friends and you CAN play along side of them. But to wait on them to get to the same location as you....You'll most like not want to wait that long.
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

That's not accurate, an independent studio does not need an AAA budget for the campaign No Man's Sky received. It takes a good PR/Marketing person or Agency who has relationships. What do you feel is the most expensive piece of press they've received? Colbert?

Hello Games Communications Manager is a guy named Matthew Reynolds who used to work at Digital Spy. Maybe contact and ask him or something. It's better than baseless speculation.
    completely disagree.

they have GOT to be funded and with a ton of money.

what we knew about No Mans Sky when it became a hype was about 1/10th the game Space Engineers was in the same context at the same point in time

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    I will play it just because I like exploring and relaxing.  I don't care if I ever run into another player, not the point of the game really.
  • Strizzy12Strizzy12 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I hope it does well and meets the expectations of those who enjoy this kind of game.

That said, I won't be playing because it's not my cup of tea.
    Tsuru said:

Regardless of this, they have stated that you CAN find your friends and you CAN play along side of them. But to wait on them to get to the same location as you....You'll most like not want to wait that long.
    This is going to cause a great deal of unhappiness amongst those who've not followed the game VERY closely.

Hello Games have been consistently vague on what exactly "multiplayer" means in the NMS context. It's going to bite them in the ass, because many people have incorrect assumptions in this regard. Foe every quote you bring that says you can "play with friends", I'll bring you a Sean Murray quote that says you can't really.

I'm not concerned about that, I'm quite happy to play it as an SPG, but there's going to be a lot of crying after launch day in some quarters...
    Tsuru said:

This is going to cause a great deal of unhappiness amongst those who've not followed the game VERY closely.

Hello Games have been consistently vague on what exactly "multiplayer" means in the NMS context. It's going to bite them in the ass, because many people have incorrect assumptions in this regard. Foe every quote you bring that says you can "play with friends", I'll bring you a Sean Murray quote that says you can't really.

I'm not concerned about that, I'm quite happy to play it as an SPG, but there's going to be a lot of crying after launch day in some quarters...
    I've found a list of confirmed from the steam forums: its a pretty interesting list.

Here's a list of multiplayer systems that have been advertised by the developers so far as being a part of the game:

1) You can choose to upload your discoveries to the Atlas (which is a fancy in-game name for Hello Game's servers) and share information about them with other players, as well as receive discovery information (through the Atlas) that other players have opted to share.

2) You can deposit short messages on planets for other players to find. Think of that as "messages in a bottle".

3) You can see the location of your friends on the galactic map.

4) You can come across other players during your travels. This always comes with the caveat that the universe is huge and your odds of accidentally running into anyone is incredibly rare.

5) Player characters don't have name tags over their heads, so it'll be easier to spot them when they're running around outside of their ship (versus when they're flying their ship around).

6) Coming across another player character is the only way for you to see (in-game) what your avatar looks like.

7) Other players can attack and kill you. Keep that in mind if you ever spot another Explorer.

8) There is a limit to the number of players that can synchronize client data within an unknown volume of space. That means if there's 50 people hopping around in one spot, you're not going to see all 50 of them. While the exact number of clients that can sync has never been given, the way Sean has described it makes "a handful" a safe bet. Also, your friends are not given any priority over other players when it comes to this display limit.

9) All players start in the same galaxy, each as spread out as possible on the outer edge of that galaxy.
    Tsuru said:

for similar reasons I (as a crafting player) am paused. does crafting mean adding no more than 3 items for all items and there is no crafting item chain and there are only 10 items to craft? or is it a real crafting system :)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tsuru said:
    Tsuru said:

I've found a list of confirmed from the steam forums: its a pretty interesting list.

Here's a list of multiplayer systems that have been advertised by the developers so far as being a part of the game:

1) You can choose to upload your discoveries to the Atlas (which is a fancy in-game name for Hello Game's servers) and share information about them with other players, as well as receive discovery information (through the Atlas) that other players have opted to share.

2) You can deposit short messages on planets for other players to find. Think of that as "messages in a bottle".

4) You can come across other players during your travels. This always comes with the caveat that the universe is huge and your odds of accidentally running into anyone is incredibly rare.

5) Player characters don't have name tags over their heads, so it'll be easier to spot them when they're running around outside of their ship (versus when they're flying their ship around).

6) Coming across another player character is the only way for you to see (in-game) what your avatar looks like.

7) Other players can attack and kill you. Keep that in mind if you ever spot another Explorer.

8) There is a limit to the number of players that can synchronize client data within an unknown volume of space. That means if there's 50 people hopping around in one spot, you're not going to see all 50 of them. While the exact number of clients that can sync has never been given, the way Sean has described it makes "a handful" a safe bet. Also, your friends are not given any priority over other players when it comes to this display limit.

9) All players start in the same galaxy, each as spread out as possible on the outer edge of that galaxy.
    So does this mean PvP players will chart a course to the center of the galaxy and setup for ganking and form ganking groups?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited May 2016
    Tsuru said:
    Tsuru said:

So does this mean PvP players will chart a course to the center of the galaxy and setup for ganking and form ganking groups?
    That would violate #8. And #5. You dont know who is who. You dont know which guy could be your friend or not your friend. And on top of that with #8, you wont always see your friend. If a bunch of people are at the center of the galaxy you will only see a handful of those people...3 maybe 4 other people, and you wont know if its your friend. So not really a scenario you would encounter, and again, the chances of you finding someone to "gank" is remote.
    Some will probably try ! 

The massive irony is that due to the crude nature of the multiplayer in NMS, any "group" of wannabe gankers will most probably just never see any other players ingame, due to their "instance" being fully populated by their own group... :D 

Reaching the center of the universe is the main goal of the game, once you get there nobody knows what happens next. Maybe you get a "Game Over" popup message... :D 
    Some will probably try ! 

The massive irony is that due to the crude nature of the multiplayer in NMS, any "group" of wannabe gankers will most probably just never see any other players ingame, due to their "instance" being fully populated by their own group... :D 

Reaching the center of the universe is the main goal of the game, once you get there nobody knows what happens next. Maybe you get a "Game Over" popup message... :D 
    Reaching the center is one goal of the game. Not sure about main goal, but the mystery behind it will make it the main goal of some players. But for alot of others, the main goal is just to explore.
    edited May 2016
    Tsuru said:
    Some will probably try ! 

Reaching the center is one goal of the game. Not sure about main goal, but the mystery behind it will make it the main goal of some players. But for alot of others, the main goal is just to explore.
    which to be clear is not as passive as it sound.

want to go to X because you need Y well fine but your ship will explode unless you line it with Z but to get to Z you need A material which is gotten from B planet that has C creatures you need to watch out for.

etc

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Some will probably try ! 

There is no actual "multiplayer" as of yet in NMS. Yes, it was stated that you COULD meet someone BUT it was also stated that it would be HIGHLY UNLIKELY. There was a recent discussion about upcoming DLC for NMS which seems to ALLUDE to the adding of multiplayer (possibly co-op and pvp) later on. At launch, it will be a single player experience.

As to the end of the game, it was stated that if someone played the game just to get to the center of the galaxy it would take about 40 hours of gameplay. It was also stated that the game does have an ending which will be satisfying to most players.

And yes, I am getting the game on day one (on PC).

Let's party like it is 1863!

SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

for similar reasons I (as a crafting player) am paused. does crafting mean adding no more than 3 items for all items and there is no crafting item chain and there are only 10 items to craft? or is it a real crafting system :)
    One of the main reasons why NMS has attracted such a huge amount of attention is that Hello Games have kept most of it a complete mystery. In this internet age of complete walkthroughs and extensive YouTube vids, the lack of details around NMS has driven many people crazy !

Most of the info that's been released has been in the form of generalised descriptions of game mechanics and/or Sean Murray quotes from various interviews or video's. Thes are many of these, and the answers haven't always been consistent since 2013...

Specifics being almost totally absent. The answer to most questions regarding specific features of NMS is usually: "Nobody knows..."

Nobody knows how many blueprints there are, how rare they are, how easily you will find the resources, where you'll find the resources, how many resources there are, etc. All we know is that you can craft, and most (all ?) craftables will be upgrades to your weapon, space suit or ship.

Don't expect the crafting to be complex or have huge depth, gameplay seems more geared to finding the blueprints and resources than having a complex crafting mechanic.
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Yes , yes i am.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tsuru said:

One of the main reasons why NMS has attracted such a huge amount of attention is that Hello Games have kept most of it a complete mystery. In this internet age of complete walkthroughs and extensive YouTube vids, the lack of details around NMS has driven many people crazy !

Most of the info that's been released has been in the form of generalised descriptions of game mechanics and/or Sean Murray quotes from various interviews or video's. Thes are many of these, and the answers haven't always been consistent since 2013...

Specifics being almost totally absent. The answer to most questions regarding specific features of NMS is usually: "Nobody knows..."

Nobody knows how many blueprints there are, how rare they are, how easily you will find the resources, where you'll find the resources, how many resources there are, etc. All we know is that you can craft, and most (all ?) craftables will be upgrades to your weapon, space suit or ship.

Don't expect the crafting to be complex or have huge depth, gameplay seems more geared to finding the blueprints and resources than having a complex crafting mechanic.
    yeah not buying that.

'look here is a video of a guy flying around a procedurally generated infinite universe and landing on planets'

'oh my friggin god nobody has ever been able to do that I cant wait'

'ummm yeah...been done already guys here is the video look...its right here'

'yeah but the sexy girl from Gamespot is not talking about it i cant see it'

that is how it goes down and that costs money I can assure you

SEANMCAD said:

Who cares if costs money ?

I saw the E3 trailer in 2013 and immediately put the game on my watch list.  Since then I have read everything I could find about the game, and watched all the vids, just as I would with any game I'm interested in.

None of the material I saw was "slickly produced" or anything, and most of the time it's either Sean Murray talking or a piece of gameplay footage. All of it has been consistent with indie marketing, it's all "pull" (interviewers seeking info) rather than "push" (company making announcements and press releases, events, etc.)

Most of the "hype" around NMS so far has been from various people grabbing Sean Murray for interviews and trying to get exclusives from him. All have failed to get any big reveals. Sean talks easily and talks a lot, but says very little of substance, lol
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Who cares if costs money ?

I saw the E3 trailer in 2013 and immediately put the game on my watch list.  Since then I have read everything I could find about the game, and watched all the vids, just as I would with any game I'm interested in.

None of the material I saw was "slickly produced" or anything, and most of the time it's either Sean Murray talking or a piece of gameplay footage. All of it has been consistent with indie marketing, it's all "pull" (interviewers seeking info) rather than "push" (company making announcements and press releases, events, etc.)

Most of the "hype" around NMS so far has been from various people grabbing Sean Murray for interviews and trying to get exclusives from him. All have failed to get any big reveals. Sean talks easily and talks a lot, but says very little of substance, lol
    the reason is...
      because i said 'this AAA title that is pretending to be an indie'
    indies do not have anywhere NEAR the captial to make a marketing push like No Man Sky has been doing without at least a crowd funding effort as large as Star Citizen yet they have zero crowdfunding.
    hmmm

could it be as one predicted that some of the AAA game investors will start setting up 'indie studios' but back with AAA money? Why? because per developer successful indie projects are ridiculously more successful...per developer

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited May 2016
    I'm waiting to see what there will be to do other than fly around and land on planets. Are there different factions you can work for? Is there any sort of territory control? Can you start your own faction? Can you fly capital ships? Can you strip mine planets for resources? Can you build vehicles to drive around with? Are there actual NPCs? If so, can you hire them for various tasks, or have them as wingmen? Can there be massive space battles between fleets of capships? And so on...

I was excited until I heard that there would be one biome per planet. I'm sorry, but that's really fucking stupid. I'd rather have a hundred highly detailed planets with different biomes like swamps, tundras, jungles, poles, etc. than a hundred million planets (most of which the majority of people won't even SEE) all done in such a simplistic fashion.

Waiting for more information, and unless I can get a really good deal on a pre-order (like with DOOM for $45) I'll wait for both professional and player reviews before purchasing. 

There's just too many unknowns at this time. Other than procedural generation, what makes it better than say, SPAZ 2, Starpoint Gemini 2 / Warlords, or Elite: Dangerous w/Horizons
    Post edited by Solar_Prophet on

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic