Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW (for me) is still the only MMO I can get into

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
It has amazing classes, while not as good as they used to be and Legions is taking even more abilities, they are still more fun to play than other class based MMOs

Pretty much every race has a starting area. And there is a huge tree of zones you can level through, so each alt can have a very different leveling experience, and each zone looks very unique. Most MMOs still to this day don't have a starting area for each race...EQ does last I checked, EQ2 used to (pretty sure) but they removed that for some reason. Vanguard Saga of Heroes did, but that is gone.

Or you can solo dungeons to level (some classes its possible), or group harder dungeons to level, or pvp, or craft/harvest to level (one character ONLY crafted/harvested to max level (back in MoP) and made a lot of money doing that.

TONS of group content at later levels, but also a lot of solo content, so there is always something to do depending what you feel

You can play as Undead (almost no game lets you play as undead, granted they are Forsaken, pretty much same :P). Mostly strategy games have playable undead, like the upcoming warhammer total war.

You can play as Tauren (sorta similar to Minotaurs I suppose, but the lore of Tauren is epic and I love the native-american theme they have)

Troll race is epic, awesome lore

Lore in general in WoW is awesome (though its kinda iffy where they are going with things lately. I feel after WoTLK it was weird. Didn't like Cataclysm lore, MoP was okay (most don't like it cause of Pandas), WoD is meh just revisiting things), and SO much of it. But that is partly because Warcraft itself has been around a while.

Just a ton of contents to do. As a completitionist, to get to 100% achievements takes SO long, still not even close. Granted WoW has been out a while, but still offers tons to do.

Really unique cities, and they are pretty nicely sized. They are very lively (especially Stormwind), and really nice atmosphere in them. I think GW2 has better cities though overall

You can swim underwater. When a new MMO is released that doesn't allow underwater swimming, I go WTF? am I back in 2001 age of MMO movement mechanics? And log out and quit to never play again. I know kinda simple thing (but tons of people quit Saga of (Ryzom) due to lack of jumping), but swimming underwater should be part of every game. Even singleplayer games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, even Oblivion that is much older, allow underwater swimming. No idea why a new MMO doesn't allow that. At least black desert online and GW2 is modern enough to allow it. Dunno, maybe most devs are smoking a pipe when designing the movement system lol.

My very first memory of WoW was making a troll in end of beta (got it from Fileplanet), going to Sen'jin, swimming underwater and I went "holy shit this is best MMO ever, I'm freaking swimming never seen that in an MMO before.". I was super excited just for that. That was the best first experience I ever had in an MMO. EQ2 allows underwater swimming and that came out about same time, but I got into EQ2 much later after WoW.

You can fly. A lot of MMOs don't allow that, but it allows just another type of advanced MMO movement system. But I find its probably because most MMOs are too small of a world, and WoW world is actually pretty large as far as MMOs go. If you run everywhere, it actually takes quite a lot of time to get through each zone.

(these next couple kinda relate to when I said each class is amazing)

Amazingly made Druid class. Even in WoD, the Druid is by far my favorite druid in an MMO. Vanguard Saga of heroes had an amazing Druid too, but unlike most MMO's and games, WoW Druid is a permanent shapeshifting class...a lot of Druids, the shapeshifting is very short/temporary in a game. And Druid in Legion is AMAZING. In fact, Blizzard has probably put way too much attention to the Druid lol.

Amazingly made Shaman class. I love the totems, and especially as a Tauren, it adds to the native american feel. Still testing it in Legions, but enhancement is awesome, elemental is meh as of now. However, elemental feels better than in WoD, just needs balance.

Warlock (only in WoD and before that) class is pretty cool summoning demons, a lot of MMOs and games in general don't let you summon demons. Legions dunno, not feeling it as much. Feels kinda clunky. Don't like dealing with limited shards. Demonology is probably my favorite spec in legions for warlocks, just cause I like summoning demons.

Going back to movement. It feels VERY smooth. A lot of MMOs have too clunky of movement, and this proves true in combat for WoW which feels great. I'd say only riding a mount is meh, cause your character looks like a frozen test dummy when riding mounts. And some mounts have a terrible rapid bouncing animation that really hurts my eyes.

A lot of MMOs just don't offer nearly a small portion of what WoW has. So I try new MMOs, then go back to WoW lol. And I really really want a new MMO, but WoW has so much to offer, so much variety, content and all the leveling paths is immense. It might have lost a lot of subscribers, but I still have yet to find an MMO that is more fun than WoW

Only two exceptions have proven that an MMO can make me enjoy it as much as I do WoW. Cities of Heroes and Vanguard Saga of Heroes (which had EPIC classes too)...sadly both those are dead.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    All of the above of course is how I feel about WoW compared to other MMOs I have played. Some may dislike those things I list or not like WoW at all...so...opinion is an opinion :)

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I am glad you enjoy WoW I still pop back in from time to time.  Legion is a step in the right direction.  Been playing the Beta and it is an attempt to go back to classes having some identity, still a lot lost but at least they tired.  The new demon hunter class seems like it will be decent, trying no to play all the way thru the beta as one of them because I want to see there lore when I make one for the release.  Not really a fan of the level matching of the areas, I can see the appeal for some but it takes away the feeling of gaining power for me.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Does it have Dynamic Events yet?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Besides possibly the permanent shape shifting druid there is nothing unique in what you talk about.

Of course personal feelings and liking some games with certain features while not others really doesn't follow any particular rules or logic, it is like music, hard to say why I might like a certain band while not something else that isn't that far from the one I like...

Wow was the first high budget game made by some really talented programmers but for me it never been anything special (and I don't like the direction itt moved in since launch). It is a good game, I wont deny that but there are other good games around. I wont list earlier and later games who have the features you mention, it will get too long but I do recommend you trying out GW2, ESO and FFXIV if you havn't, all great games even if it is of course a personal taste.

And yeah, it was a shame about Vanguard, if the engine was better and it released in a good shape it would still be around. Lets hope Pantheon will do better.
    Does it have Dynamic Events yet?
    (and responding to Loke's post)

dunno about Legions as I actually haven't played it much, except to try out all the classes. Don't want to be spoiled too much for release.

But in WoD, not really. I haven't seen an actual MMO with Dynamic Events though, except maybe RIFT. But even RIFT was very predictable, just "felt" a lot more dynamic than in GW2. GW2 was said to have them, but they aren't dynamic when people put them on a timer. That pretty much killed the game for me tbh. 

Only dynamic events are created by the players. In WoW I play on Tichondrius, and there are huge city raids quite frequently. Just this morning, a huge zerg of Alliance raided Orgrimmar, got part way in when a quick acting Horde defense got together. It was a stalemate as the alliance kept coming in, but couldn't push the main horde back. At one point, they got into the throne room, but they failed to kill the war chief. But, there were battles all over Orgrimmar and even outside the gates in Durotar. It was epic. The huge battle lasted 2 and a half hours (give or take 15 minutes) before it was finally over. It felt kinda like one of those EVE battles, except more "casual".

But for Loke's post. No, I didn't like GW2 AT ALL. I loved GW1 however, and GW1 had an epic Necromancer and class system. GW1 is (to me) vastly superior than GW2. GW2 has better graphics and epic cities, but I found the game to be very boring, VERY scripted and far too predictable with stupid timers. They vastly overhyped the dynamic event system.

FFXIV... actually I like FFXI a lot more and I still play that once in a while. But thanks for the suggestion. But FFXIV isn't as good as FFXI is to me. I have my reasons, but not gonna make a novel list of why lol.

As for ESO. I play it, then I want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4. Log off ESO and play Skyrim or Fallout 4 instead :P

edited May 2016
    I should say. GW2 does have a cool live story kinda thing. That is probably my #1 favorite thing in GW2. But the world is so...well...I just enjoyed GW1 world and game so much more. I wish they would update it more lol

Though games I like DO tend to be VERY hit and miss

I can play a game exactly like WoW, and it can be reskinned as say Everquest and I probably wouldn't like it nearly as much. But I do like EQ2, and if it was re-skinned as warcraft, I probably wouldn't like it lol.

Same if someone just copied GW1 and skinned it as something else, I probably wouldn't like it nearly as much

Not sure why. But a lot of games just don't pull me in like my "favorite" ones do. Hard to explain...but like I've played a lot of super hero MMOs, and none are nearly as fun to me as City of Heroes was.

And I can play games that are completely opposite of what I like...like EVE Online, which is a sandbox deathmatch PvP MMO that I don't like at all...but it pulls me in and I really enjoy playing it.

I'm weird with games :P

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited May 2016
    I suppose there are 2 kinds of people.

Those that get stuck in the past and those that don't. I suppose some just can't move on with the better times..If it was love or revenge, I'd somehow understand it. But it's a damn game. If there are better games out there, you go play them, you don't stay stuck with the worse games, I simply don't get that. 

My friend is a Blizzard fan, all he ever played was Blizzard games. The moment he tried anything else (it didn't even have to be good) he was always blown away. That's how I see Blizzard fans, they are stuck because they don't try anything else. And literally almost everything is better than Blizzard games (Unless you're not into more in depth, serious games).
    edited May 2016
    I play other MMOs and a lot of other games. I played MMOs before WoW. But I just really enjoy WoW more than other MMOs. I still play EVE/EQ2 and FFXI.

Only MMO I liked as much as WoW is, as I said, City of Heroes and Vanguard Saga of Heroes. But, there isn't anything like Vanguard and the other superhero games I can't get into like CoH, feel really meh. DC Universe I like WAY more than Champions Online, but even then heh. But I still enjoy dabbling into other MMOs.

I think its partly cause a lot of MMOs aren't really being made to my tastes, and catering to other people. So I'm stuck playing older MMOs (mostly WoW). That is fine for those people who prefer other stuff. I don't really know my tastes exactly, but I generally like games in general that are random/fun and not serious. I don't tend to like serious, realistic games...with ONE exception, strategy games (like Total War, Europa Universalis, Stellaris, Distant Worlds). But in other genres, I prefer fun/casual/unserious games. And WoW is pretty much that. GW2 is that, but I didn't like it at all compared to GW1

But WoW is pretty much the optimal unserious/random/fun MMO you can get. may be a big reason why I like it so much.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I agree for the most part, but the game as the former "complete experience" described in the OP died when Blizzard started to push people through the leveling process as fast as possible to hit endgame LFR and arenas.

I quit two weeks before Cata and came back to WoD, thinking that i had about 4 years of content to explore before me. After four weeks i had seen it all and stood in my garrison with a bank full of free epics, not knowing what more to do and quit the game like about 7mio other gamers did.

Most of the game became meaningless when all mobs i had to literally "fight" before now died with two hits, my char had a level up after turning in three quests, all the zones and locations i loved back then and spent weeks in got outleveled and left with a ton of grey quests remaining within a few hours. There were some zones that i was so looking forward to re-visit after 4 years, but then i had to skip them altogether after i did 2-3 dungeon runs in the previous zone which made me outlevel the next zone already. WTF!

I love playing healers, but in most dungeons the group told me to go DD for more DPS because "GOGOGO!!1" and that nobody needs healing during the leveling process anyways.

Yes, the game has it all..but for a reason the company formerly known as Blizzard, which then became Activision, decided to not let you experience it anymore and wants everyone to hit endgame in a day to then sit there doing the same clicks for 12 month.
    It's a world wasted, great content that nobody shall play -all the game needs nowadays is a lobby/chat to find a group and instant teleportation into the single endgame raid, the arena maps or into garrisonville.

Class homogenisation, ability pruning, removal of talents, almost making the game a third person MOBA, changing it left and right to catch the dwindling numbers by catering to non-mmorpg'ers or every soccer-mom that has held a mouse some time before, while in the same process the oldtimers left about these changes.

This game once brought in megamultibillions because of it's genuine quality, but it was let go to waste because of ego, attitude, cluelessness and greed.

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Played WoW from Beta to end of Cata - hardcore raided most of that time. Tried it not long ago, and it just feels like the soul is lost in it and it looks like Legion will just be hero garrisons with everyone having the most epic weapons in WoW lore. 

Blizzard has a decent polish and the funding to get things done, but any real innovation is gone in my opinion. All their games now are just re-skinned versions of others. WoW was the best of what came before it but they did it on a whole new level. Now its just a horse being beaten to death.

I'll play Wildstar before ever going back. Bad management? sure - but its the only thing that gave me the feeling WoW use to. and yes I pushed through the rough stuff to get into it and it was worth it.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Loke666 said:
    Besides possibly the permanent shape shifting druid there is nothing unique in what you talk about.

Of course personal feelings and liking some games with certain features while not others really doesn't follow any particular rules or logic, it is like music, hard to say why I might like a certain band while not something else that isn't that far from the one I like...

Wow was the first high budget game made by some really talented programmers but for me it never been anything special (and I don't like the direction itt moved in since launch). It is a good game, I wont deny that but there are other good games around. I wont list earlier and later games who have the features you mention, it will get too long but I do recommend you trying out GW2, ESO and FFXIV if you havn't, all great games even if it is of course a personal taste.

And yeah, it was a shame about Vanguard, if the engine was better and it released in a good shape it would still be around. Lets hope Pantheon will do better.
    One does not have to be unique to do things better.  Henry Ford did not make unique cars he just learned from those before to make them efficiently and with the features that people liked so people would like and afford them.  That made it unique in its own way.
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    This sounds like a promotion :confused: 
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    I recently went back to WoW for my 7 day free trial after getting tired of the hack/desync/greed of BDO.  While it still remains a pleasant solo experience I don't find myself wanting to group much (yeah yeah end game dungeons/raid but why else?) especially with the Garrison.  I literally feel like I never have to leave my own town.

I still loved WoW back in the day, they've done a solid job of making the leveling process as well as the questing feel as though it isn't work.  It's just the stripping down of classes and choices every patch (Blizzard loves doing this, see D3) and anything that may have made your character unique that makes me sad.  

Currently I'll probably sub for a month (they gave me WoD for free) simply because everything else feels kind of stale atm. 

FFXIV you have to enjoy FF lore really, ESO all this is... is boring ass lore, GW2 I'd love if it had a more linear gearing scheme it's the only time I've played an MMO and felt like I was on a Horizontal treadmill.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Mpfive said:
    This sounds like a promotion :confused: 

Yeah cause it is.  He is promoting the game he likes.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Even the current battered and broken WoW is lightyears ahead of everything else in 2016. That's how ahead of it's time it is. Playing Tree of Savior makes me even more appreciative for how smooth WoW's gameplay is.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I just played for a few hours during my free 7 days, as well, mostly just because my character was created on the original launch day and even though I hadn't been subscribed since just after Cataclysm released, I couldn't let go of my nostalgia completely and allow my name to be released next time they wiped names.

I'll admit it was neat being back in-game for a bit...the sights and sounds of 100 days played do carry some weight. I wasn't as hardcore as a lot of players, though I did do dungeons and PvP, and raided during the Vanilla and Lich King eras...a 12-year-old account and I only have 3 characters, with only one above level 40. I started the Pandaria story and enjoyed the early parts, though, and hit level 86.

I'm still not sure it could get me to subscribe again, though. I just have too many other things to do nowadays, and even just within the MMO genre there are other well-made games that I've bought that don't require a monthly sub when I get the itch to play. It's hard to deny the game's polish or staggering amount of content, but it is showing its age, as well.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    too cartoonish for me that game is, always has been.

plus I no longer play games with classes, I found skill based systems much more statisfying

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I tried WoW again from the free week promo a month ago....To me the game just isnt much fun anymore.....The quests are mind numbingly boring......Im of the opinion that the game peaked a couple of expansions ago and has really declined....WoW has had an incredible run but for me its over.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    It's still a fun and enjoyable game. I personally can only play it in short stints for maybe 2 or 3 weeks at a time before I get bored. I think if I hadn't played it years I would be able to stick to it. It will probably remain an on and off thing for me. /shrugs

There is nothing wrong with liking it though (no matter what people on these forums say) and I can see and have seen the allure of Azeroth. Just remember to shack them haters off.

Hope you enjoy your game. 
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    You can swim underwater. When a new MMO is released that doesn't allow underwater swimming, I go WTF? ... And log out and quit to never play again. I know kinda simple thing (but tons of people quit Saga of (Ryzom) due to lack of jumping), 

Why is swimming underwater so important?  Being a non-WoW player I don't know if it has underwater quests, but if it doesn't they why should the dev's bother beyond a 'gee it's neat' thing?

DDO allow's it, but it has underwater quests.  AoC allows it, but it has underwater chest's and quests.  LotRO doesn't, but doesn't have any quests so why bother?

Jumping I totally understand.  Nothing is more annoying than running into a fallen tree branch and having to go around it, instead of over.

I'm just curious on the subject.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    WoW died after Cataclysm.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Why not just play it then? That's what I'm doing.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Kabulozo said:
    WoW died WITH Cataclysm.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Volgore said:
    Kabulozo said:
    WoW died WITH Cataclysm.
    You're right. WoW is also the only MMO whose classes lose skills as the time passes, all the other MMOs I played so far new skills are given to classes each new expansion.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    WoW is my go to as well - thought I don't mmorpg much anymore. Wow had me with the rts series from when I was much younger, no other game can do that no matter how good it ends up being, how real the graphics look.