Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you still play GW2 if you didn't buy HoT?

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
edited February 2016 in Guild Wars 2
I was just reading through the other poll on GW2. But I have a different question. As I said in that thread, I haven't bought HoT yet. I probably will if it ever go on sale. But for now, I'll wait. So my question is not for those who bought the expansion, as much as it is for those who didn't. Do you still play? (Without HoT)

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    I see a lot of Mastery numbers outside of HoT areas these days.
    After release of HoT in places like Silverwastes or Tequatl/Triple trouble you would see a fair number of level 80 with no mastery levels, but these days it seems to be more skewed towards HoT players.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    You gotta remember that if you wanna continue to experience all the new stuff you'll need to buy the expansion. The new elite specs add alot more to current classes. If your just gonna play the core game and thats it, your gonna be missing out on alot of stuff as well as be at a disadvantage compared to other players that have purchased it.

GW2 is still a buy to play game. The core game going free to play, is more of like a very generous demo that slowly unlocks its self as you continue to play. If you've already purchased the core game but don't have HOT, I'd still highly recommend getting it because it simply adds more stuff. 

Keep in mind that once you've purchased HOT, not only are you paying for current content, but you are also paying for future content until another expansion comes out.

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    i would buy HoT for $20 and play the game again.  anything else is to expensive for that 
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I enjoyed playing GW2 for a while but all those silly jumping puzzles and their inexplicable decision to have a group dungeon at the end of the storyline and what seemed like half a dozen new currencies with every patch just wore me down. They had some great ideas and some that i just couldn't get on with.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Good question. Before HOT I would login every few months for a day or two then once again lose interest in the game. I haven't logged in GW 2 at all since HOT came out and have no real interest in doing so.  I guess the game as a whole just isn't for me.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

meddyck said:
    Good question. Before HOT I would login every few months for a day or two then once again lose interest in the game. I haven't logged in GW 2 at all since HOT came out and have no real interest in doing so.  I guess the game as a whole just isn't for me.
    The spring patch changed a lot. Especially for HoT areas and WvW.
    You might be surprised.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I bought HoT and wish I hadn't. I'd probably still be playing GW2.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Honestly, if it weren't for elite specializations, why would anyone have bought HoT?
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    It was my goto game for almost 2 years... I recently bought HoT, because i just like Gw2 as my goto game again...  Its easy to jump in, love running trough the world...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I saw the writing on the wall with P2W HoT specs and quit 2 days before HoT launched. I refuse to support P2W scams that force you to shell out money to compete.

I almost certainly would have bought HoT and likely would still be playing if they had not gone this route.
  • ElusivrElusivr Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Bought the game while it was still pay to play only a month after it became free and spent tons of my gems on quests and storyline only to find that HoT was out. I'm not upset though.
    I saw the writing on the wall with P2W HoT specs and quit 2 days before HoT launched. I refuse to support P2W scams that force you to shell out money to compete.

I almost certainly would have bought HoT and likely would still be playing if they had not gone this route.
    Oh noes an expansion is a P2W scam.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    DMKano said:
    Didn't purchse HoT, don't play GW2 anymore (played at launch for six weeks - hit max, did some PvP, quit and never looked back).

The game is not for me, it's ok - that happens.

Have you played anything longer than 6 weeks? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Yupp, WoW is a P2W scam too, if you dont pay you cant win! Seriously. Haters make up all sorts of stuff to justify not playing something. Dont like it? thats fine, no need to make up lies to detract potential players. That applies to every game.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Somewhat necro thread, but i didn't buy HoT, and i stopped playing around a month after it released.  The expansion didn't seem worth $49.99 and i feel justified after reading reviews from the post-launch of HoT.  It would've been better priced at $29.99.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Just started playing again this month, the HoT specs have been tuned down a bit which is good. Spvp is still a blast if you are into that sort of thing.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    HoT was worth it, but stiill killed the game for me. Was expecting something different from what I got. Wanted more Meta Bosses similar to the Vanilla Bosses that were removed. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    HoT was worth it, but stiill killed the game for me. Was expecting something different from what I got. Wanted more Meta Bosses similar to the Vanilla Bosses that were removed. 
    Yeah, I agree with you there. The first zone do have that but the others are more about runnimg in teams doing specific stuff in a train. There were a lot of ingame mechanics that opens up for future expansions, like the masteries and raiding but I hope the next expansion will be closer to GW: Factions or GW: Nightfall.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I have played for 3 years, took a few breaks ect. I did buy HoT, but pretty much burned out on gw2 for good I think. I log in sometimes to do Tequatl, harvest my home and guild nodes, about it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have been playing on and off since it came out,  I still have not bought HOT, but I am going to this summer.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753

Yupp, WoW is a P2W scam too, if you dont pay you cant win! Seriously. Haters make up all sorts of stuff to justify not playing something. Dont like it? thats fine, no need to make up lies to detract potential players. That applies to every game.

From your response, I'm going to assume you've never PvPed in either game before.

In WoW PvP is segregated by level. People who don't have the latest expansion are not competing against people with the new expansion content. They can keep enjoying the game they paid for as if the expansion didn't exist.

In GW2 everyone is level 80. Vanilla players are forced to fight against people with the brokenly overpowered expansion specs against which they have basically zero chance. The PvP meta requires you to use elite specs or you can not compete. There is literally not one vanilla spec that you can play in high tier PvP and hasn't been for 7months. That means that if you don't have the expansion you simply aren't allowed to play. You can't enjoy the game you paid for anymore.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

the funny thing is, if i hadnt bought it , i might still had been playing

this is worse, than MOP

• Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited June 2016
    Disliked the base game, so no reason to buy Hot.

I loved GW1 and GW2 is the most disappointed I have ever been with a game.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited June 2016
    simplius said:

this is worse, than MOP

MoP was a great expansion if you can get past the pandaren theme and story.  It gets so much hate due to pandas, which is a shame.  The zones were good, multiple major content updates, crafting streamlined, and many new features.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    observer said:
    simplius said:

this is worse, than MOP

MoP was a great expansion if you can get past the pandaren theme and story.  It gets so much hate due to pandas, which is a shame.  The zones were good, multiple major content updates, crafting streamlined, and many new features.
    I thought the zones were good too......until TI.