Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    With over twentyone million views of their official trailer and mostly voted thumbs-up, I think they're do really good especially if the director didn't take himself to seriously and had some fun with it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I think the movie is going to be complete garbage, but then again so were most of the Transformers films, and look how much money those made. Opening weekend alone will be enough to make the WoW film a financial success. There's always a chance more people share my opinion of it than not and the movie failing, but the odds of that happening are barely high enough to even be considered viable. 

My best hope is that it'll end up being one of those 'so bad it's good' films. But I really doubt it. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    It's going to be a success. Whether this means it's what some people think of as a good movie is another thing entirely.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Well I consider a "huge success" any movie that breaks/will break $1 billion. So in that sense, I'd say only Superman v Batman and Civil War qualify.
    However those 2 movies were way way more hyped than anything else this year.

As for Warcraft they spent $150mil on it, but I seriously don't see it breaking past $100mil. Warcraft movie will most definitively not make any profit.

As to what impact it will make on WoW, that's another story. It might bring some players back (but they'll quickly realize why they left in the first place), or the movie will simply suck with reviews around 5/6 (which is the most likely outcome) and blizzard will alienate even the rest of it's fans.

Seriously though, this is Blizzard's last attempt at saving WoW's dying population.
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    even though i havent played WoW in like 5 years i am going to see it. I hope it does well enough that the sequels get at least to Northrend.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    You'd have to be pretty delusional person to think the Warcraft movie won't be a success.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

PS: so people critic the heavy use of CGI? How do you think one can create living orcs nowadays, with foam latex costumes? If the CGI is just half as good as the one from Avatar, it will be impressive. And it's Industrial Light and Magic who do the effects, that's already an assurance of quality.
    It depends on exactly what all they decide to use CGI for.  The Orcs would have been very hard to do (as involved in the movie as they are) without CGI, so I wouldn't consider it fair to critique that.  However, I would point to LotR's Uruk-hai as proof that you can do damn excellent Orc-like characters and armies without merely drawing them with a computer.  CGI should always be the last option.

Animatronics and traditional special effects achieve a much better result in many areas due to simply having an actual physical mass on-screen that can be interacted with by actors and the environment.  And these effects, too, have come a very long way from Jurassic Park (which is still considered a great example of how much animatronics and non-computer generated special effects can elevate a movie beyond what merely copping out to CGI wholesale can achieve).

So, if the use of CGI is so prevalent it sends a message that the director used it as an excuse to do less work, it'll deserve critique.  If they reserve it strictly for scenes that cannot be told with any other option, it'll deserve praise.  

As an aside, I must be the only person in the world who saw Avatar as merely a CGI Pocahontas.  I'm still surprised Disney didn't do some saber-rattling when James Cameron released his "original" film.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think it will be great.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I hope it is.

A lot of short sighted people are hating on it because it's wow or because of a fanboy mindset (my mmo is better than yours and I hate this by association), they fail to see that this might be the kick start the mmorpg market needs to infuse a ton of new players back into it and make the publishers take notice again.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    More people are playing MMOs than ever before.
    I do not believe this movie will change the number of MMO players.
    The Overwatch Movie will be next if this is a hit. 
    I would watch an Overwatch movie or TV series for that matter.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Let's be real, Blizzard fans will eat anything so it will do "well"
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    How do we know that Blizzard will neither somehow inflate box office numbers or find a way to not publish them?

It's not like both didn't happen in the past ;)

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

if the Main character was a Gnome female warrior who Kicked ass and Killed a lot of people

Maybe this movie would do goooood

I don't have much hope for this movie hahaha

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Volgore said:
    How do we know that Blizzard will neither somehow inflate box office numbers or find a way to not publish them?

This is something that cannot be hidden or inflated.  Theatres are followed closely by a lot of eyes.  You can keep things quiet when it comes to video games but when it comes to films it cannot be hidden.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

PS: so people critic the heavy use of CGI? How do you think one can create living orcs nowadays, with foam latex costumes? If the CGI is just half as good as the one from Avatar, it will be impressive. And it's Industrial Light and Magic who do the effects, that's already an assurance of quality.
    It depends on exactly what all they decide to use CGI for.  The Orcs would have been very hard to do (as involved in the movie as they are) without CGI, so I wouldn't consider it fair to critique that.  However, I would point to LotR's Uruk-hai as proof that you can do damn excellent Orc-like characters and armies without merely drawing them with a computer.  CGI should always be the last option.

Animatronics and traditional special effects achieve a much better result in many areas due to simply having an actual physical mass on-screen that can be interacted with by actors and the environment.  And these effects, too, have come a very long way from Jurassic Park (which is still considered a great example of how much animatronics and non-computer generated special effects can elevate a movie beyond what merely copping out to CGI wholesale can achieve).

So, if the use of CGI is so prevalent it sends a message that the director used it as an excuse to do less work, it'll deserve critique.  If they reserve it strictly for scenes that cannot be told with any other option, it'll deserve praise.  

As an aside, I must be the only person in the world who saw Avatar as merely a CGI Pocahontas.  I'm still surprised Disney didn't do some saber-rattling when James Cameron released his "original" film.
    CGI is an incredibly deep and iffy subject.  You take something like Toy Story animation and it's pretty amazing.  However, when you are blending it with real actors and world, it can quickly become horrible and obvious.

And, yeah, I'd much prefer actual orc makeup and costuming(such as in LOTR movies), to CGI.  But, it really depends on the type of characters you are going for.

The Avatar characters were incredibly tall and had strange physiques, so even with real makeup and such, they still would have needed to use CGI.

I'm not to up-to-date on the WC movie's requirements(are the orcs supposed to be massive giants or something?), but in general, any time you can use real effects over CGI, that's how it should be done.

Really, with the budget they probably had for this film, there's no excuse for either being a problem.  They can afford the highest quality CGI, and they could have afforded full wardrobe and costuming for an entire orc army.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    I didn't read a damn thing here....

I think it shout do good. Cause I watch movies to be entertained.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    filmoret said:
    Volgore said:

This is something that cannot be hidden or inflated.  Theatres are followed closely by a lot of eyes.  You can keep things quiet when it comes to video games but when it comes to films it cannot be hidden.
    I get you :)
    I was just kidding, because these guys are usually total control freaks and have this obsession with tweaking their numbers.

They must be having nightmares right now about the b/o numbers being beyond their control.

• giffy689giffy689 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Travis Fimmel a.k.a. Ragnar from Vikings tv series is in this  =)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Haven't read the whole thread... but after seeing the first commercials... this is going to be an utter bomb.   It's a shame as I thought they would get the resources to make a really great fantasy movie.  What we seem to be getting is a large cutscene.

BLEH...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited May 2016
    It'll be average, and turn out to be like Masters of the Universe, with crappy acting and plots.  It'll be panned by critics, deservedly so.  The mixture of live-action and CGI characters is going to be horrible.  For instance, Garona.  She just looks terrible, as if she belongs in a B-rated flick from the 1980s.

The only people that will probably enjoy it, will  be comic-con enthusiasts, comic/manga/anime audience, sci-fi/fantasy audience, video gamers, blizzard fanboys/fangirls.  It won't capture interest from the mainstream public.
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I dont think it will be top box office of the year but it will make money.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Haven't read the whole thread... but after seeing the first commercials... this is going to be an utter bomb.   It's a shame as I thought they would get the resources to make a really great fantasy movie.  What we seem to be getting is a large cutscene.

BLEH...
    I have to admit, even though I'm interested in seeing the movie, I really wasn't impressed or inspired by the previews at all.

observer said:
    It'll be average, and turn out to be like Masters of the Universe, with crappy acting and plots.  It'll be panned by critics, deservedly so.  The mixture of live-action and CGI characters is going to be horrible.  For instance, Garona.  She just looks terrible, as if she belongs in a B-rated flick from the 1980s.

The only people that will probably enjoy it, will  be comic-con enthusiasts, comic/manga/anime audience, sci-fi/fantasy audience, video gamers, blizzard fanboys/fangirls.  It won't capture interest from the mainstream public.

That's sort of the expectations I have, as well.  I think it'll be a successful film just because of how many fans the franchise has, but I don't think it'll be a high-scoring film in the ratings department.  They'll make their money back on name alone, but I don't think it's going to have the masses flocking to the theatres to see it multiple times or anything.

Then again, with all the other horrible CGI movies releasing recently, there's always the chance it'll win by simple comparison :anguished:   You know... movies like the TMNT and Transformers, and so on... *shiver*
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    observer said:

Being panned by critics is a bad thing?  That is pretty much every summer blockbuster....
  • Saur0n69Saur0n69 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    The movie will do well for the same reason the game did well, there's millions of brain dead Blizzard fanboys who will eat whatever crap Blizzard puts out with a smile on their faces.