Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

Comments

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Blizz is very lucky to grab the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok for the movie. Other than that I'm afraid the story will be very mainstream. I do hope the movie succeeds though cuz if it doesn't it means no Warcraft 2 movie and I would take that over nothing, but regardless....there are so many other amazing movies coming this summer and I care less.

• Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I think it'll definitely make its money back. If most of Blizzard customers (not just the WoW ones) go alone that would easily cover the cost of making the film. Will it be profitable enough, and well received enough, to make the execs go "Start making the sequel right now!" is less obvious.

I've read in forums some MMO fans criticise the heavy use of CGI, and I get their points, but I think to the mainstream audience (who will take it from covering costs to a financial win) this isn't really a concern - immersion and attachment will be, like pretty much every other movie or theatre ever performed in history.

The heart of the lore of Warcraft is solid and fits "The Heroes Journey" as well as many other cosmological settings we love to see in our stories told over and over again. I think the decision to cover more than 'Orcs and Humans' was a very wise choice. Taking it further means the politics, redemption, villainy, heroism, racism and those who fight to overcome it, there's stuff on abusing the environment, that both sides of the conflict are not black and white 2-d bad guy vs good guy (despite initial appearances), etc all of which can be appealing to the modern audience irrespective of whether they have played the games or not. Indeed not having played the games may be a bigger draw for many, who knows? Players can be blinded by the history of the game (for all the bad decisions Blizzard made), and confuse that with the history of the world, which as I said is solid.

The questions for me are do you think Chris Metzen is a good story-teller? Is Duncan Jones a good director? Are Duncan Jones and Charles Leavitt competent at screenplay? For me, the answer to those questions are yes these are quality players being put into the mix. However since that gnome stole my crystal ball, I unfortunately can't tell what the future will hold for it. I think it will tick all of the boxes in the professionally made category. But will it be immersive, and will the non-gamer find the characters worthy of emotional attachment? Will the world be something that invites them to want to see more stories from within it? Those more than CGI or whether it is like or not like another film group will more decide its fate I think.
  • feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Kopogero said:
    Blizz is very lucky to grab the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok for the movie. Other than that I'm afraid the story will be very mainstream. I do hope the movie succeeds though cuz if it doesn't it means no Warcraft 2 movie and I would take that over nothing, but regardless....there are so many other amazing movies coming this summer and I care less.
    Yeah he's definitely a big draw right now, it will help quite a bit. I chose average, I couldn't see it doing better than Batman vs Superman, and that didn't end up so amazing. Personally, I'll catch it on Netflix.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Well.. It will be a huge success regardless, since there are sooo many that know about it that will see it. Period. The question is. Will it be a niche to these players or will the gamers bring their partners and their friends and their friends friends? That is the question.

I think it might be the wrong time to release the movie though. Why not wait to like august? A few months before the expansion releases to gain more hype. Might also be a let down and therefor they release the movie now before summer so people will forget :)
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    i hear they are checking peoples gear score before buying a ticket...
    Best tickets are for the ones that have a active subscription and bought at least a dozen pets in the Blizzard Store.

Forgot to tell this: visitors with Nostalrius T-shirts are BANNED from watching the movie.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's not a WoW movie, first of all.....
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited May 2016
    I think it will be successful. However, I'm only going to see it because my 11 year old son wants to. I personally would much rather see the Conjuring 2.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    PS: so people critic the heavy use of CGI? How do you think one can create living orcs nowadays, with foam latex costumes? If the CGI is just half as good as the one from Avatar, it will be impressive. And it's Industrial Light and Magic who do the effects, that's already an assurance of quality.
    Completely agree. I bet the same people complaining about the CGI were the ones stuffing their face with popcorn while watching Avatar.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    fodell54 said:
    PS: so people critic the heavy use of CGI? How do you think one can create living orcs nowadays, with foam latex costumes? If the CGI is just half as good as the one from Avatar, it will be impressive. And it's Industrial Light and Magic who do the effects, that's already an assurance of quality.
    Completely agree. I bet the same people complaining about the CGI were the ones stuffing their face with popcorn while watching Avatar.
    I think the point is being missed here, its not the CGI per se people have a problem with, its the mix-medium that makes it feel off. Take Beowulf for example which was a CG movie a simular thing could of been done here. However the mix-medium of real actors and CGI ones doesn't add to the movies strength, in my opinion. 

Whether the filmn is a success remains to be seen, but I can only see fans of the franchise being interested in it. Time shall tell I guess.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I predict it won't even do half as well as Independence Day: Resurgence.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Judging by the trailers, I think it'll go the way of the Superman Vs Batman movie and receive negative reviews.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited May 2016
    It's got A LOT going for it:

- A sexy female lead who looks as if she can fight.

- Probably sexy Night Elves, Blood Elves etc. etc.

- Some good battles.

- Strong villains (better than the new Star Wars baddy who looks like Kevin From Accounts).

- It's WoW: a fantastic conversation point.

- Lots of existing material from which good plots can be made. Plenty of scope for cliff-hangers and sequels.

It won't be the new Star Wars, but it might well be the new Game of Thrones on steroids - bigger battles, more magic, sexy elves, more interesting monsters, locations with more variety etc. etc.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited May 2016
    I think it will do just fine.  Probably not break records and it might even get some negative reviews.  Specially by those who don't even play video games or who think all things video game related is trash.  But I think it will do good enough for them to at least want to attempt a sequel.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they already plan on a trilogy since Warcraft is a huge IP that has some great box office potential.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Given that there is no WoW movie, no, i don't think it will be successful.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Anireth said:
    Given that there is no WoW movie, no, i don't think it will be successful.
    Ok please elaborate since you are so much smarter then us.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Ashar1972 said:
    The questions for me are do you think Chris Metzen is a good story-teller?
    Metzen is going to overplay the orcs until no one can stand them just like he did in WoW. 

It's going to come across super preachy about how noble the orcs are, how the humans aren't treating them right, and how human prejudice is the primary obstacle to peace.  With the central event of the movie being the birth of green jesus and how he will save us all one day.   
  • PsyqotiqPsyqotiq Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I believe it will be a decent movie but will do very well in theaters. 
  • Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited May 2016
    reeereee said:
    With the central event of the movie being the birth of green jesus and how he will save us all one day.   
    I think Green Moses is the more accurate metaphor. And the Orcs were noble at their heart until they fell for being duped by a corrupted Titan and his cronies. Redemption is a powerful force in our collective sotry-telling.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its not gonna do that well mainly because even though WoW is big in terms of MMORPG genre, its not really something ALOT of would people would have heard of. People who have heard of wow would go, sure, but honestly that's not enough money to really top any charts
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    It will sell without a doubt, blizzard is known far and wide by gamers and non-gamers. You could probably say WoW to random people on the street and some will know of it.

Will it be a great movie? No clue, could be another LOTR or a another Dragonball
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Ashar1972 said:
    reeereee said:
    With the central event of the movie being the birth of green jesus and how he will save us all one day.   
    I think Green Moses is the more accurate metaphor. And the Orcs were noble at their heart until they fell for being duped by a corrupted Titan and his cronies. Redemption is a powerful force in our collective sotry-telling.
    Moses is more accurate for his Warcraft 3 days but by the time we get to Cataclysm and he is shooting down Deathwing with his lazer it seems less so.

The orc redemption story arc is resolved many years in the future and if they undersell how bad the orcs are now then what exactly are they being redeemed from?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Aori said:
    Albatroes said:
    Its not gonna do that well mainly because even though WoW is big in terms of MMORPG genre, its not really something ALOT of would people would have heard of. People who have heard of wow would go, sure, but honestly that's not enough money to really top any charts
    I'm willing to wager everyone knows at least one person that has played WoW. Also anyone who plays games, likely knows about WoW to some extent. Over half of America plays video games.
    IMO, I feel the less non-gamers that know it's a video-game property the better, at least as far as the box office is concerned. That's a red-flag to a lot of people, game properties almost always tank at the box office (garner low interest from the non-gaming public).. "Videogame movie" is just synonymous with cheesy cash in for the most part.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    the movie has big shoes to fill, lets just leave it at that.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Not something I want to see (maybe when it comes on TV).  It'll depend on what else is out at the same time.

laserit said:
    I also thought the last Conan movie was going to totally suck and was pleasantly surprised when I found it quite good. Although it still tanked in the box office.

I'm with you on that.  For re-watch value I prefer the latest Conan movie.  

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter