Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing - Elder Scrolls Online

2»

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    RIFT dimension system is probably the best system there is, totally free form open building, yea its instanced but pretty much any game with more than a handful of people is going to have instanced housing so who cares. You have base stuff and you can mix and match and join and use different things to make diferent objects. Unlikely to be utilized here however.

Hearthstone isnt that good. Basically everything is set in stone you just make it and it auto places, not a great system. Its what most games use however.

A combination of Lotro 'neighborhoods" and some sort of open building within that instance would be a nice compromise. No hooks but if they have pre made houses of differing sizes or whatever then allow fre placing of objects that could work.

Also wouldnt mind seeing small plots outside where you could grow stuff. Life is Feudal has a very realistic farming system, where you plow fertilize, plant and harvest and weather (supposedly) factors in, at least in yield. But ESO wouldnt have to be that intricate. Hearthstone does have a generic planting system in it.

As for the people who dont think its that important, an intricate and in depth housing system is the cheapest and easiest way to incorporate player made 'end game' content. Second only to PvP.

Add in some economic mini game (akin to Archeage but much better) and it would be something that could bring a lot of people back to the game. They already have the crafting quest drop off stuff. But take away the fast travel options and totally generic aspect of that it could add a new dimension to the game.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    It's a very very very minimal part of any game unless you're just obsessed with it.  Even in games where you can use things in it, etc....none of it is particularly compelling.
    "I can put a crafting table in here!"
    "K, so now you can sometimes not walk to the one in town...whoopdee effin doo"
    "Some stuff gives me bonuses"
    "K, so you get a %10 max xp buff(unless the buffs are totally unbalanced, and that's another topic), whoopdee effin doo"
    Playing "home makeover" is not my idea of fun, there are much better games for that.
    The game has been just fine without it, and if it never has it will be just fine.  Priorities should be on fixing broken things, and then DLC content that actually involves PvE/PvP.
    it completely depends on how the game is designed.
    EQ2 is a perfect example, that crafting/buidling system would leave a player thinking exactly as you are thinking now because its crafting and housing system is explicitly designed to be meaningless.
    Wurm, SWG, etc..entirely different story
    Have you even played EQ2? Because it doesn't sound like it.
    yes of course. I rarely mention games that I havent played in that kind of detail.

I played in 2008 and at that point you could very easily do anything I was aware of in the game without crafting, without buying any crafted items and without having a home

what did homes bring to your normal game play?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LMAO,,what do people expect from a home?It is where you go to eat,drink,sleep,craft or watch TV.
    I always get the feeling people want something special from games that is totally unrealistic.

What are people role playing as to expect such nonsense from housing?A psychotic killer who is killing people in his basement?
    You know what people do with homes,they fix them up,eat sleep and drink in them and not a whole lot more.

I get the feeling what is next,we want our mount to give us 50% xp,be able to kill the best Boss in game and my mount should allow me to get the best loot 75% easier.
    AFK gaming,AFK travel,free handouts,tons of hand holding,what is left in gaming to turn adults into little children that need their hand held with total guidance?Just buy a game and a big screen pop up says YOU WIN thanks for your patronage.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    They're trivial at best.  Not a single thing about them contributes in a major way to the actual game.  It's a fun little distraction that people will spend in-game money on and that's about it.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I use my house as my store front in EQ2. People need to come to my house to buy my wares. I also display my Heritage Quest rewards in my home and have buyers sometimes ask what an item is on display. Which in turn points them in a new adventuring direction. Housing can have many functions. Depends on the community.
    in 2008 it had none of that. at least not linked to any adventuring directions as you say.
    plus then it was easier to just grind mobs to get good stuff, crafting really didnt help

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    goboygo said:
    Moirae said:
    lol.

1. It IS f2p. Its called Tamriel Unlimited for a reason you know. As of last March 2015. 

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/elder-scrolls-online-consoles-free-play/

2. If housing hasn't happened by now, it's going to be really crappy with hooks like LOTRO and SWTOR or it's not going to happen at all. These companies no longer consider housing a necessary part of the game. 
    I guess you don't know the difference between B2P and F2P.  They are not the same thing.  F2P has no cost to entry ever, B2P has a box cost.  Brenics knows the difference I'm sure hes just looking for something to bitch about as usual.
    What are you talking about? I'm trying very hard not to say something nasty to this very very.... purposely... misinterpreted post. You need to reread what he said. He was NOT talking about b2p, he SAID f2p. They are different things and apparently the OP doesn't understand the difference. So don't slam me when YOU don't know what you're talking about. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Some people in SWG had some really nice homes.  You could fold your house up and put it in another location or on another planet.  You could even buy yourself a guild hall and use it as a home or store or both.  There was even a home in space ship you could travel around in.  Good times...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I don't care how but it needs to be detailed with lots of customization and integrate itself on the game in a way that you don't have to be there all the time but still affects a bit your gameplay.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I love housing for the nothingness it adds to a game. I like to doodle, decorate and store stuff. 
    I love the way housing works in EQ2, I look forward to housing in ESO. 

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    If I can buy and sell through housing I ll actually come back. I hate the way it s done now in ESO.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Deltois said:
    If I can buy and sell through housing I ll actually come back. I hate the way it s done now in ESO.
    Well the buying and selling is part and parcel a megaserver being used - unlimited you could / would have millions of items listed. So you would have to do something to split it up. Its a downside to using a megaserver - but the upside is people "pretty much everywhere pretty much all the time".

As far as housing goes though I could easily see them adopting the recent changes in LotR: the ability to add crafting stations - purchased from the store; maybe an aide who would sell stuff for you and even a local portal. And cosmetic items of course.

And assuming they add e.g. Skyrim style housing (not the build from scratch stuff but the ones that can be purchased in cities) then the DLC could include various quest arcs in various cities that you would need to complete before you could buy a house. For a fairly substantial amount of gold as well I would assume.

If they do go that route - and the megaserver will clearly allow it - I hope that they would have several  houses per city available to make it less likely that "lots of people turn up at a door at the same time".
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited June 2016
    housing in ESO will have to be instanced due to the megaserver. i don't blame them for not putting in, it's pointless to have a house that is only there for you to see or the people in your channel.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    To me, instanced housing might as well not be there. It's the cheapest and least appealing kind of housing there is.

Well, except the way they did it in LOTRO - where it was a reasonable compromise. I'm thinking ESO could implement HUGE populated areas intended for housing only - one for each faction - since they can do vast zones pretty easily. At least, much larger than the housing zones in LOTRO should be possible. That might work.

But, really, if you can't show off your house - and if you can't invite people without teleporting them - it's just not worth my time.