Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 7 years ago the MMO industry was changed for the worse

2»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've been on the forum a few years now, and I can honestly say there hasn't been a year that I can remember, where it wasn't heralded as the doom of MMOs.

Conan was not the game I wanted it to be, but it was pretty fun.  I enjoyed the PvP, and some of the settings were fun.  Just lacked the spark that a Conan game needed.  Crafting was a let down.

I self identify as a monkey.

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197
    AnnaTS said:
    If Age of Conan hadn't released i might not of found MMORPGS, I only came across them when i say that episode of the big bang theory when Penny gets addicted to an online game sheldon was playing and it was Age  of Conan.
    Agree with you. :)  Well, I got started with Acheron's Call, but AoC definitely got me back into MMOs and I really enjoyed my team (even if it was released like 6 months too early).

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I've been on the forum a few years now, and I can honestly say there hasn't been a year that I can remember, where it wasn't heralded as the doom of MMOs.

Conan was not the game I wanted it to be, but it was pretty fun.  I enjoyed the PvP, and some of the settings were fun.  Just lacked the spark that a Conan game needed.  Crafting was a let down.
    You pretty much summed up the entire industry,no game is complete,either terrible graphics or areas of game design done half assed.
    I give older games some credit because it is a learning process,devs still discovering new and better ways to do things,new game engines new DX libraries,code etc etc.However,at this point in time,there is plenty of technical ability out there,great game engines,tons of skilled employees,we are simply seeing the devs,the money  man that is holding back the industry,they are trying to sell us shotty effort.

What bothers me even more or as much is the advertising " of course" but these shotty game efforts are being supported by sites such as this paying writers and staff to put positive spins on rubbish game "effort"Notice i keep saying effort because Soooo many confuse FUN or a game they like with what real effort went into that game.You can not use FUN when talking unbiased,that is an extremely vague term that is different from person to person ,we should only talk about the effort put into these games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Yeah, because you know something called apps on smartphones that makes millions with zero time investment and just a luck of the draw.  You wonder why MMO's are dying?  Take a look at the Moba industry, Heathstone (which makes more money annually than MTG..think about that) and your whole flappy bird shit which people tend to call a game (Time sink is more like it, but I'd give all those stupid apps maybe puzzle game genre).

AOC was good for the year I played and raided. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    what's this a thread from July 2015 back to life ...... 
    Yup, it's been necro'd 2 different times already.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2016
    kilun said:
    Yeah, because you know something called apps on smartphones that makes millions with zero time investment and just a luck of the draw.  You wonder why MMO's are dying?  Take a look at the Moba industry, Heathstone (which makes more money annually than MTG..think about that) and your whole flappy bird shit which people tend to call a game (Time sink is more like it, but I'd give all those stupid apps maybe puzzle game genre).

AOC was good for the year I played and raided. 
    Proof is in Twitch,MANY people seem to have more money to WASTE or just spend foolishly that we might have ever imagined,this helps support all these crap games.
    I also believe that MANY people have adopted the stay home and lock yourself up behind a computer lifestyle "a very poor decision imo".They claim "FUN" gam,es yet buy hundreds fo different games every year,moving from one to another,obviously not fun ,just bored people that need something to fiddle with on their computer because they never leave the house.

Back to Twitch....just look at how many people throwing money at streamers,look at how pale and white all those streamers are,they never leave thew house,they look sickly.
    My whole point is that developers have seen they no longer need to "compete" just market/advertise any idea and you are likely to turn some profits,tons of spenders out there willing to buy anything.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I still have my Collector's Edition box and listen to the soundtrack quite frequently as it's quite possibly the best MMORPG soundtrack ever composed, just pure beautiful and brilliant.

The game itself was hella fun for the first couple of months till the bugs really started popping up and Tortage was/is and should always be considered one of the most creative and insightful ideas implemented into an MMORPG ...ever and a brilliant idea, too bad the rest of the game wasn't quite as good as it was.

AoC easily stands in my top 10 MMO's of all time.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    DMKano said:
    what's this a thread from July 2015 back to life ...... 
    It's alive!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Eadan1 said:
    Glad to see someone who shares my hate for Funcom and AoC. Age of Con (not a typo) definitely was a catalyst for the shift to free labor games.
    Holding a grudge for 8 years over a video game is kind of on the pathetic side.
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    7 years ago? That is interesting.  The general consensus that has been repeated over and over is that the genre started turning in 2004.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    fodell54 said:
    Eadan1 said:
    Glad to see someone who shares my hate for Funcom and AoC. Age of Con (not a typo) definitely was a catalyst for the shift to free labor games.
    Holding a grudge for 8 years over a video game is kind of on the pathetic side.
    Well, clearly Funcom was hurt severely by their actions as far as 8 years ago. So there you go.