Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles 'Opened Up the Game to Millions of New People'ESO Elder Scrolls Online News - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageConsoles 'Opened Up the Game to Millions of New People'ESO Elder Scrolls Online News - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online is a gigantic success according to Zenimax's Matt Firor. Between the transition of the game from a subscription model to a buy to play title and the release of ESO for both XBox One and PlayStation 4, Firor says that the game was opened up to 'millions of new people', later qualifying that statement with 'that's actually new players'.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I play on pc and xb1 , transitioning back over to pc only though at the moment. I notice on console though it is a well populated game. To my surprise too, the open voice chat system did not have a bunch of trolls just yelling obscenities
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Millions is an exaggeration but obviously consoles has given them more players. NWN is still the most played MMO on XB1. Problem with PS4 ESO is there is no chat and even though you make a name for your character no one can see it because all they see is your PSN name.

You would of thought ZeniMax would of sorted this.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited May 2016
    Millions is an exaggeration but obviously consoles has given them more players. NWN is still the most played MMO on XB1. Problem with PS4 ESO is there is no chat and even though you make a name for your character no one can see it because all they see is your PSN name.

You would of thought ZeniMax would of sorted this.
    I have been popping into NWN a little bit to level up to 70 this week and it's been pretty crowed on the xb1.  DC universe is too but the quest structure is way too frustrating with a lot of other people.  Glad to see these games active. 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited May 2016
    Torval said:
    I think this puts to rest the question of how successful the game has been. I think moving beyond the traditional mmo market, which some of my other favorite games have struggled with, was a really smart move on their part.

This is where devs/games like Arena Net and Guild Wars 2 should take note. I think ANet could really make a solid title that would be popular on multiple platforms. Unfortunately they've gone down the more traditional raiding pipeline in HoT, but they have the potential to be big like this.

One of the most exciting things in the article that Firor wouldn't really comment on is the idea that other IPs could eventually follow suit.
    You make some really astute observations Torval. From a financial standpoint crossing over to consoles is a no brainer. Purists might find console gaming offensive because gaming PC's are superior machines for the most part. For gaming companies you have to adapt to where the money is lol.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I bet they counted the people with transferred accounts twice but can't really say as they don't release numbers. So millions, is how many?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

DMKano said:

"
    Opened up the game to millions of people - talk about really vague phrasing.

I plan to hold a Mikado world championship in my garage.
    As a world championship, it's open up for millions of competitors from allover the world!

Update: Only my neighbour came over. He is now a worldchampion.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

So millions, is how many?

Millions

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I bet they counted the people with transferred accounts twice but can't really say as they don't release numbers. So millions, is how many?

While i also think "millions" sounds a little bit too much, i do believe it is quite a lot of people, considering multi platform online games most of the time have less people on PC. It is a smart move to expand to new platforms the games from IPs that were multi platform in the first place. We all benefit from this.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

While i also think "millions" sounds a little bit too much, i do believe it is quite a lot of people, considering multi platform online games most of the time have less people on PC. It is a smart move to expand to new platforms the games from IPs that were multi platform in the first place. We all benefit from this.
    Millions could just mean 2 million TBH...still either way Millions is a good number.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Damage control  :o
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    ESO remains my favorite MMO and I really dont see that changing very soon.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I'm really diggin ESO right now..... Happy to hear the game is healthy.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This is news?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    unfortunately, right now its all about consoles for most people . ..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Torval said:
    It's a little vague out of context but if you read the article it's fairly clear he means that the consoles and Tamriel Unlimited added up to millions of new purchases. He even said new players.

This is big because it could bring a lot of new non-mmo gamers into mmos. This is the sort of thing that could bring mmo gaming into the mainstream especially with the console audience. [emphasis added]

I'm only skimming the article so maybe I'm missing it, but do you have a quote for where he makes this clear --millions of new purchases?
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    So they purposely used language that let them count PC players shortly after console launch to say millions.  Now they're saying millions of console players. 

All this really tells us is they didn't hit two million in console sales in the first month or two but did hit it sometime later in the year.

This doesn't really seem like groundbreaking news.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    edited May 2016
    I'm highly critical of teams and their design and I have to say that ESO is one of my top ten games ever. They certainly had a rocky start when they launched for PC only but they have definitely done the time to turn everything around and deserve the credit for it.

The one and only complaint I have for this game is their lack of cross faction support.

They could at the very least for console players allow for cross faction gameplay in their newest of DLC areas such as Orsinium, Thieves Guild, and their upcoming DLC for the Black Hand that way guilds can be multi-faction and not be penalized.
    Everything has been done wondefully on the PVE side.
  • KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167

Torval said:

Here is the quote (I emphasized and underlined),

"All told, the combination of Tamriel Unlimited and the console launch, "opened up the game to millions of people."

"That's
    actually new players
    ," Firor adds. "It's been huge. Bethesda doesn't
    talk numbers, but it's been huge... It was way beyond our expectations,
    and it was mostly because players could knew they could buy it just like
    they did with Oblivion and Skyrim."

At the risk of being contentious, I'm going to say that's not a clear statement, especially if we take into account publishers and developers tendency to use marketing-speak to suggest great success.

Of course it's surely not hard to believe an excellent game with a highly recognizable ip like ESO is doing quite well, but for me the question is why say 'opened up to millions,' when you mean sold millions of games--or millions of new players purchased the game; something of that sort of language that is absolutely clear. I may be wrong of course (and I won't deny that I'm being a bit of a stickler) but I can't help but feel the answer to that question is because it is likely they did not sell millions.
  • wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I called it quite a long time ago, I'm and old old PC player, played many an MMO, from DAOC, SWG, Everquest, WWIIOnline, Planetside, Darkfall etc. through to modern MMO's. (Urggh) but I could see that the "next" gen (actually current gen now) consoles were going to blur the boundaries.

The future of MMO's will be console based, eventually most will be built for console and ported to PC.

At first I was like meh... I'll stick to my PC, but now, I have a Xbox One, PS4 and PC and my PC doesn't get a lot of play time any more.

I can choose between Planetside 2, DC Universe, ESO, Elite as well as a healthy catalogue of multiplayer and RPG games, on my sofa, big screen, pick up and play.... it just works.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kickaxe said:

Torval said:

Here is the quote (I emphasized and underlined),

"All told, the combination of Tamriel Unlimited and the console launch, "opened up the game to millions of people."

"That's
    actually new players
    ," Firor adds. "It's been huge. Bethesda doesn't
    talk numbers, but it's been huge... It was way beyond our expectations,
    and it was mostly because players could knew they could buy it just like
    they did with Oblivion and Skyrim."

At the risk of being contentious, I'm going to say that's not a clear statement, especially if we take into account publishers and developers tendency to use marketing-speak to suggest great success.

Of course it's surely not hard to believe an excellent game with a highly recognizable ip like ESO is doing quite well, but for me the question is why say 'opened up to millions,' when you mean sold millions of games--or millions of new players purchased the game; something of that sort of language that is absolutely clear. I may be wrong of course (and I won't deny that I'm being a bit of a stickler) but I can't help but feel the answer to that question is because it is likely they did not sell millions.
    Thats probably why he said it has opened up the game to millions of new players, technically any game on the PS4 and XB1 is open to 'millions' of players, it doesn't however mean that they have bought the game. Its also a very vague statement, because it doesn't state how many millions, and if he'd come right out and said, by putting the game on console it opened the game up to 55 million players, nobody would for a moment think that every single console owner now had a copy of ESO, and this is probably also why Zenimax is still not giving out any actual figures, but just 'vague' statements that are open to interpretation, even the whole, they sold more than they expected is not informative, because they didn't state how many they expected to sell, or by what margin this was exceeded.
    Is the game doing well? well that depends on who you ask.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Or he is not allowed to talk specific numbers and uses the best words he can to says millions of new players.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Horusra said:
    Or he is not allowed to talk specific numbers and uses the best words he can to says millions of new players.
    I don't doubt at all that he isn't allowed to talk specific numbers, which is probably why he used the terminology that he did, its all about PR after all, though one might also say that if there had been millions of actual players, then they would have been shouting it from the rooftops, not using PR doublespeak.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Two pages of arguing over this lol. VG shows total console sales over 2.5 million and the original pc sales at about .86m. So saying millions of player no matter how vague seems pretty accurate.