Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Cancellation: Are you shocked?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Kefo said:
    Dahkoht said:
    I want to see those who "knew" it was going on fine behind the scenes ,  posted fervently in defense of Daybreak Games , to pull up a seat.

heh I can think of a few posters who should be eating crow. Surprisingly the one who I thought would be all up in this thread is oddly absent.

As for me I wasn't shocked in the least bit. This game has been dead to me for a while now so I was just wondering why they wouldn't say it was getting shit canned.
    yeah, one person is strangely missing from these threads.  I guess after two years of telling people they have no clue and only he knows the truths, this has to be hard to accept.

Im sure history will be rewritten or ignored and it will transform into how this was the companies master plan and that Landmark will rise like a phoenix into the successor of EQN.   Something about the devs moving all the awesome work for EQN into Landmark.
  • TiiKiiTiiKii Member UncommonPosts: 163
    No, am not shocked. This company can"t seem to follow through on anything anymore..

"Huntress"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    To be quite honest, Everquest, as a brand name, has not been the same since it released back in 2004.

At first it would be easy to blame Blizzard and World of Warcraft for that, but really it's issues with Sony and SOE.  SOE has destroyed way too many games and too many games have been cancelled or shut down. By time EQN was announced, yes it looked cool, but what did it really have going for it other than really nice visuals?

Daybreak is just a new version of SOE, so get ready for things to be cancelled or shut down.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    To be quite honest, Everquest, as a brand name, has not been the same since it released back in 2004.

At first it would be easy to blame Blizzard and World of Warcraft for that, but really it's issues with Sony and SOE.  SOE has destroyed way too many games and too many games have been cancelled or shut down. By time EQN was announced, yes it looked cool, but what did it really have going for it other than really nice visuals?

Daybreak is just a new version of SOE, so get ready for things to be cancelled or shut down.
    Is your first sentence referencing the release of WoW?

WoW was released in 2004, but EQ came out in 1999, so I'm going to take a guess that you were replying to someone without quoting them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I think MacroPlanet meant: "Not been the same since EQ2 released in 2004" which was probably the last time stores had advertising boards etc.

A brand needs to be visible to have worth and since 2004 ....... not really that visible.  
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

EQ release in '99 and honestly I feel the next thing we'll hear is the closure of Daybreak studios. There's a good reason Sony no longer wanted anything to do with that department.
    I don't think they actually close down the studio the next few years but I doubt they make a new full PC MMORPG. My guess is that they will try to earn money on the EQ name with mobile games instead.

Either that or they will try to get crowdfunding for something soon. Anyways have the studio not been itself for a long time. Blaming Wow for it is rather unfair, if they actually had release EQ2 in a better shape Wows impact on the genre would have been less and SOE would have stayed as one of the top studios far longer. It wasn't that Wow was so much more fun gameplay wise but the game was just so much better streamlined and coded that the buggy EQ2 went down to a niche game as soon as Wow launched.

And frankly have bad coding been with SOE since the start. With EQ it was fine, M59 and the Realm were really the only competitor at the time (not counting UO who was a rather different kind of game) and neither of them were particularly well coded either. But SWG and EQ2 suffered a lot due to this and later games even more.

Good ideas with bad followed through just ain't enough and it havn't in a long time. If Daybreak seriously want to play with the big boys they need a great leadprogrammer and a good budget but I don't see that happening sadly...
  • theWoozletheWoozle Member CommonPosts: 2
    I find it VERY interesting that Landmark is being re-launched. Since Landmark was essentially a development platform for voxel technology and EQN, to relaunch it suggests that maybe while the EQN project is cancelled, theyre either keeping the engine so somebody else doesn't run with it, or they're planning to turn Landmark into an actual game... like EQ3 or something. Just because EQN has been cancelled doesn't mean theyre dropping the whole idea, just that licensed iteration of the project. All that work could easily come back with a new name. 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Planetside 2 and then the entire company next?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Loke666 said:

EQ release in '99 and honestly I feel the next thing we'll hear is the closure of Daybreak studios. There's a good reason Sony no longer wanted anything to do with that department.
    I don't think they actually close down the studio the next few years but I doubt they make a new full PC MMORPG. My guess is that they will try to earn money on the EQ name with mobile games instead.

Either that or they will try to get crowdfunding for something soon. Anyways have the studio not been itself for a long time. Blaming Wow for it is rather unfair, if they actually had release EQ2 in a better shape Wows impact on the genre would have been less and SOE would have stayed as one of the top studios far longer. It wasn't that Wow was so much more fun gameplay wise but the game was just so much better streamlined and coded that the buggy EQ2 went down to a niche game as soon as Wow launched.

And frankly have bad coding been with SOE since the start. With EQ it was fine, M59 and the Realm were really the only competitor at the time (not counting UO who was a rather different kind of game) and neither of them were particularly well coded either. But SWG and EQ2 suffered a lot due to this and later games even more.

Good ideas with bad followed through just ain't enough and it havn't in a long time. If Daybreak seriously want to play with the big boys they need a great leadprogrammer and a good budget but I don't see that happening sadly...
    Yea, their game engines are horribly inefficient.  Even EQ on modern equipment will lag and stutter where WoW is smooth on my Laptop, because it's just not great code even though the graphical demands of the game are laughable.  Those games are overly CPU bound...

I actually installed it a while back just to try it out and was shocked that it was laggy on my system and I had to turn stuff down to get a great frame rate.  Shocked, but not surprised considering the monster EQ2 is.
  • ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Damn you Daybreak...Damn you!

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Not surprised at all about the Landmark being relaunched , launched whatever.

They've blown the EQ name to hell and back and ruined their rep with most of their potential customers on the EQ side. Landmark will just be to see what money they can make off it with little to no effort.

Their real money is coming in on H1Z1 , as I said months ago , they make bank on it , the cancelled EQN because the effort for the return wasn't worth it for the number crunchers there.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I'm in denial. This is just marketing. They will release the game soon and we shall happily play ever after. 

PS. Elvis is still alive and he will return on his birthday. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Not shocked but sad. The ideas behind EQN were amazing, I hope someone else can pick up on things like the complex AI.
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited March 2016
    I hate being "one of THOSE" .....but....I did say all along that this game Would NEVER HAPPEN. Too much BS from super dev (dave). I think he pumped up investors with so much hype...they couldn't tell him...no!  Then took his money and went home. Big business at its FINEST! Not to mention the fact that this was NOT EQ, in any way, shape, or form.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Not at all shocked. I knew EQ Next was doomed from the moment they publicly announced it.

I watched the big reveal special thing and knew, just knew it would be a massive flop. Never seeing the light of day? Didn't see that, but a complete failure? Yep. From the first few minutes of footage.
  • SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I am much more disappointed than shocked. I started playing EQ 1 in 1999 and stuck with it for years. Kept going off and on after that. Four years ago when EQ Next was announced, I was like a 38 year old kid waking up on Xmas morning. EQ 1 had the best community I ever witnessed in a MMORPG. I still keep in touch with about 15 people who were in my guild back in 2000. I was really hoping for something of that caliber once again, but guess not..
    "It's not fun"  That's their excuse? It took four years of development to realize the game isn't fun? Complete BS. This company is on my s***list.  
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Where is Nan ? 

• free999enigmafree999enigma Member CommonPosts: 3
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Shocked? No.  Disappointed? You bet!

imageimage

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    fcking asshats... well relaunch Vanguard at least!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

Definitely not shocked.  That long span of radio silence on the game was the dead giveaway.

Just about every mmorpg made flopped, its gotten to that point of saturation, weve past peak mmorpgs.

Hopefully this leads to a rebirth of cheaper, but mechanically fun and unique mmorpgs.  Big money is gone and enjoying its stay in moba land.  The days of big budget mmorpgs is over sadly.