Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else getting redirected periodically to an add page when they click links like Home, etc..?

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
It's been going on for me since yesterday, I keep getting redirected to some add portal, it only happens every so often, but it's quite annoying. 

Any button can cause it it seems, be it Home, Discussions, Forums, clicking on a thread etc...

Anyone else?

Using opera if that makes any difference...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Not happening to me at all.

I'd check for malware if I was you...
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Not happening to me at all.

I'd check for malware if I was you...
    I will, it's Just weird it only happens here. 

Here is a link if anyone from the staff wants to investigate.

http://ads.youscube.com/taboola_placement342216.php

Just google "taboola" and you'll understand.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Using Adblock Plus not seeing it Distopia...

Heh now I'm even more confused, as I've searched my installed programs and it's not there lol. I've dealt with these types of things before, and almost always they can be removed that way.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited May 2016
    To me it sounds like you got some kind of malware, I had never had the same problem and this is the only site on the net I allow adds on (disabled my add blocker here to support the page).

Try Add aware,  they have a nice free version and see if you got any kind of malware. You could also try a different browser (I use Opera myself).
    Loke666 said:
    To me it sounds like you got some kind of malware, I had never had the same problem and this is the only site on the net I allow adds on (disabled my add blocker here to support the page).

Try Add aware,  they have a nice free version and see if you got any kind of malware. You could also try a different browser (I use Opera myself).
    Thanks going to give it a shot.

Torval said:
    This happened to me last night a couple of times. I was tired and just thought I clicked an ad link, but I swear I had just clicked on a discussion link. It was on the "Recent Discussion" feed while clicking a thread link.
    Yeah I'm not sure if it's something installed on my PC or not or something else, as I did an Ad Aware search (clean, nothing found)  as well as have scoured my uninstall programs to no avail. I thought the same thing the first few times ( thought maybe I clicked a link), until I knew I didn't of course.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I like the sound of google taboola!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Distopia said:
    Torval said:
    This happened to me last night a couple of times. I was tired and just thought I clicked an ad link, but I swear I had just clicked on a discussion link. It was on the "Recent Discussion" feed while clicking a thread link.
    Yeah I'm not sure if it's something installed on my PC or not or something else, as I did an Ad Aware search (clean, nothing found)  as well as have scoured my uninstall programs to no avail. I thought the same thing the first few times ( thought maybe I clicked a link), until I knew I didn't of course.
    I hope it wasn't this site "exploring new ways to raise revenue", lol

Nothing will make me blacklist a site faster than random redirects to add pages...
    Distopia said:
    Torval said:
    I hope it wasn't this site "exploring new ways to raise revenue", lol

Nothing will make me blacklist a site faster than random redirects to add pages...
    Yeah i don't want to sling accusations as I love this site, but I certainly hope it's just an anomaly. OR something on my end. 

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited May 2016
    This really smells like maware.  We are not running anything like this unless a network is sneaking it in...and it would probably get everyone if that were the case.  It sounds like it is happening when you click our own internal links (News, Forums, etc) - so that is really out there.

Our ad networks are all pretty big ones that the biggest sites are also using so I doubt they would be doing anything like this and I am not even sure if that would be possible through an ad tag.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    nothing here..its all good on my end
    Admin said:
    This really smells like maware.  We are not running anything like this unless a network is sneaking it in...and it would probably get everyone if that were the case.  It sounds like it is happening when you click our own internal links (News, Forums, etc) - so that is really out there.

Our ad networks are all pretty big ones that the biggest sites are also using so I doubt they would be doing anything like this and I am not even sure if that would be possible through an ad tag.
    Yeah when it's happening is the only thing that drew me to ask if others were experiencing it. I turned ad-block on in opera, and made an exception for MMORPG.com , that seems to have stopped it (so I think that helps rule out it's due to this site), gonna roll like this at least until I can pinpoint the issue.  The typical avenues of finding it have been fruitless.

Thanks for extra intel Distopia - we are all trying to recreate this on our ends and if it ends up being some shady ad network we will shut them down

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    This did also happen to me a couple days ago.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    It may of happened to me a few times within the last days as I just ruled it out as accidently hitting a link. I did think it was strange because accidently hitting ad links on this sight has never happened to me before on this site. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I had it happen one time.  That was a day or two ago.  I haven't seen it since.  Iirc, it was while clicking a thread title link from the main forums page.
    How many people have seen this today, or in the past say 12 hours?  I am wondering if this is something that an ad network already discovered and cleaned out since most reports seem to reference yesterday and beyond...

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

edited May 2016
    Admin said:
    How many people have seen this today, or in the past say 12 hours?  I am wondering if this is something that an ad network already discovered and cleaned out since most reports seem to reference yesterday and beyond...

The last time it happened to me was when I posted the link above, it hasn't happened since. I didn't turn add block on until about an hr later (link post was at 5:12, my reply to you (mentioning adblock) was at 6:20 about 10-15 mins after I turned add block on) Hope that helps.

Ok, well that is pretty recent.  It could be cached JS files too - depending on how someone is pulling this crap off.  We will keep investigating

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Admin said:
    Ok, well that is pretty recent.  It could be cached JS files too - depending on how someone is pulling this crap off.  We will keep investigating
    Correction: was actually 4:17 when posting the link, my bad.. So about an extra hr between. Still it's fairly recent. Thanks for looking into it, much appreciated. 

I didn't even post about it to complain just making sure I wasn't the only one. OR crazy; thinking I hit threads when I'm up top or to the side hitting links. lol

I really appreciate it.  I tag advertising ethics very seriously here.  In fact because of this we might just go back to our old gaming-only safe ad network that pays us poorly - I would rather make less revenue than have our users feel tricked or scared to be here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Admin said:
    I really appreciate it.  I tag advertising ethics very seriously here.  In fact because of this we might just go back to our old gaming-only safe ad network that pays us poorly - I would rather make less revenue than have our users feel tricked or scared to be here.
    TBH I'd prefer you guys do what's best for you, as long as it's not intentional you're all good in my book. 

I understand - but my fear is you get directed to some site that injects something malicious.  That would just not be acceptable.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -