Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited May 2016 in World of Warcraft
This topic does have me curious on how many people will watch this movie.  With the Lord of Rings popularity it makes me wonder if this movie will be a huge hit or how it will turn out.  What do you think will happen?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think it will be a typical Summer Blockbuster type of affair. Some cheese, some corn, some cool stuff, typical average film.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I think it's going to be a love or hate scenario. It's either going to suck to an embarrassing degree or it'll actually be pretty awesome. I am a little nervous based on the CGI, but hey I'm gonna go check it out. My WoW playing GF will also be there and our Nephews will be tagging along even though they're 6 and 10 and don't know anything about WoW, but I think they'll have fun either way.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    what I would select is not there because I think its between average and 'huge success'

The movie doesnt have to be good at all, loyal players will (i imagine) go.

question is will people who dont care about WoW go? I know I will not

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    It will break box office records and become like DC and Marvel. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    About the same as the Dungeons and dragons movie, it will be popular with fans but wont impress regular movie-goers.

Azeroth is made for gaming, it isn't really optimal for the silver screen. Westeros and middle earth is made to focus on one single story, gaming worlds are more about telling many small stories and for that matter are those stories things that are far more fun to do then watch someone else do.

I don't think any world made for computer games would work very well in a movie, Wing commander is still the best one in my book.

Pen and paper RPGs should be easier since the worlds are more flexible, but very little have been made there as well. There was a so-so Vampire series that got canned when the star got killed in an accident and the rather good "gamer" movies by Dead gentlemen productions but besdies that we seen little good there either. I am surprised no-one made a Forgotten realms movie though.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i voted average and that's about all i need from this type of flick. an hour+ of action and good cgi and i will be entertained.. alot of people love fantasy so as long as it doesn't look potato it'll do alright.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Distopia said:
    I think it will be a typical Summer Blockbuster type of affair. Some cheese, some corn, some cool stuff, typical average film.
    This is not a summer of blockbusters though it is a summer of mega blockbusters.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    i hear they are checking peoples gear score before buying a ticket...
  • DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    i hear they are checking peoples gear score before buying a ticket...
    That's hilarious 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I have no idea how the movie will do.  It needs 300 million or so to break even.  So I will guess they will exceed that much money therefore a success.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Knowing Blizzard they will just take the storyline from another popular movie and rehash it to fit their lore and Bliizard fans will go on about how its the best movie ever. 
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    waynejr2 said:
    I have no idea how the movie will do.  It needs 300 million or so to break even.  So I will guess they will exceed that much money therefore a success.
    where did you read the budget was 300 mil? thats insane if thats a real fact lmao
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    where did you read the budget was 300 mil? thats insane if thats a real fact lmao

The rumored budget is 100 million plus advertising.  The rule of thumb is 2.5 times the budget to break even.  You know they don't get every dollar?  Again, this is based off the rumor mill.  We don't have either sets of books on the project.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Gotta remember that good movie and success are two different things.  I think it will be a great success. WoW has had a lot of fans through the years (and still does).  A lot of those fans have families, so guess where mom and kids are going?  Time for a holy MMO pilgrimage.  

So,

It gets WoW fans
    IT gets Sword and Sorcery Fans.
    Asians reallly seem to like these kinds of movies.

I think it will make a nice chunk 'o change.

I self identify as a monkey.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    It will be in the same category with Dungeons&Dragons and Doom movies - a mediocre cinematographic product with a script inspired by a video game. Also, mentioning Lord of the Rings in a same post with Warcraft movie is a crime against humanity.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I honestly do not see this doing as well as I hope it will do. I think they could have gone with another approach, based on the trailers anyway this seems meh at best. We will see.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Resident Evil were the only videogame based movies I ever enjoyed. 

She kicked "high."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Financially successful? Definitely. Not only because of the massive following Blizzard has, but also the more recent "nerdifying" of the masses brought about in recent years by shows like Game of Thrones where people who weren't previously interested in anything fantasy based have become fans.

Will it actually be a great movie? Highly doubtful unless you like lots and lots of cheese in your movies.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    A movie based on trying to get the general population to care about orcs when most WoW players don't even care about orcs?  Good luck with that.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea lots of people mentioned D&D movie.  Doom movie and Final Fantasy movie.  Mmo's are niche and we will see exactly how niche they are soon.  This can go either way IMO but I am leaning towards flop because as much as we love fantasy stories, the general public really don't like them.  It is definately going to be a learning experience.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I'll probably love it and hope it'll be succesfull, but I'm really not all that sure It'll be a huge hit or anything, seems like it'll be quite niche.  

I want it to work out though, cause if it does we're getting more :)
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I hope it does well but who knows...The director is Duncan Jones and I did like the movie (Moon) 2009

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I really couldn't say until I've seen it. My gut tells me that it won't be in the theatre for very long and the free game giveaway with your movie ticket reinforces my that feeling.

I also thought the last Conan movie was going to totally suck and was pleasantly surprised when I found it quite good. Although it still tanked in the box office.

So who knows

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    laserit said:
    I really couldn't say until I've seen it. My gut tells me that it won't be in the theatre for very long and the free game giveaway with your movie ticket reinforces my that feeling.

I also thought the last Conan movie was going to totally suck and was pleasantly surprised when I found it quite good. Although it still tanked in the box office.

So who knows
    Yea you would be surprised the amount of people who didn't even know there was a new Conan movie.  I found it to be nothing special and yea it tanked hard.
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    I voted average, but I'm talking ticket sales.  The marketing of the film, along with the offer of a month of WOW with all expansions, will probably make sure that the movie will at least receive enough ticket sales to guarantee a reasonable turn out.  I just can't see this as the "run away success" movie this summer.

I totally plan on seeing it, but I'm also going to keep my expectations low.  If it's decent, it will be worth the ticket price and a bit of a reminder of the nostalgia I have for vanilla WOW.