Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 HoT or ESO help decide please

13»

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Eh... I'd lean more to ESO personally. Neither I find 'amazing' but as far as it went, ESO felt better in terms of combat. Though, it's no secret I find GW2 combat system to be very icky, so take that as you will (aka I didn't really like either, just my dislike of GW2 makes ESO a clear winner despite it being meh to me as well).
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    People seem to forget that buying ESO alone wont give you the full game. YOu have to buy all the DLCs which add up to a full priced game on top of the base ESO price. So yeah, you can either buy HoTs and get the full game, or buy ESO and then all the DLCs to get the full game. 

IMO both area good deals if you like the games, but ESO scores you a higher price for the full experience. I decided to HoTs over the DLCs of ESO, but will buy them some time in the future as well.
    That's true. However ESO's Base content has way more content than GW2 (yes even with the expansion included). ESO has definitively way more to offer for it's price. It really shows that GW2 is a B2P game at it's core, while ZOS integrated a perfectly diguised P2P model into ESO. B2P model in MMOs is great, but it doesn't bring much content, as proven over and over again with GW2 and it's lackluster updates. You just can't expect much from an MMO that doesn't have a regular stream of income (cash shop is not enough). It's really a no brainer, ESO's year worth of DLCs are enough to put HoT to shame, both in content and quality. But that was to be expected. Either way both choices are great, these 2 are one of the best MMOs of all time. Both are worth trying. Still I'd recommend ESO, as it just has way more longetivity.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    growill said:
    Tbh I never understood why people that like pve play gw2. 
    I'm specifically a PvE player and GW2 has been the most enjoyable PvE experience for me in any mmorpg in existence, ESO and TSW are close second. I am talking specifically about Open World PvE in mmorpgs.

While Lore is what drives me to play mmorpgs, in this case it's the leveling experience what im talking about. I cant stand massive mob grindfest, or massive korean sidequest grindfest. I dont get that with any of the 3 games i mentioned, much less in GW2. I guess thats just me but it works very well for me, it could be a lot better though. Questing in these games are much better represented/offered so i dont feel im a zombie like the rest of the mmorpgs.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I also prefer the PvE aspect of games and for that I enjoy GW2 more.  I also like not having to have all the latest gear to be effective in PvE in GW2 and all the little perks you get like access to the auction house from any location,  free respects, low price ports, xp for healing dead players, lots of crafting inventory space, decent drops from world bosses, and more.

ESO has great ghraphics and you can always purchase the DLC at a later date after you decide you like the game and want more content.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited February 2016
    DO not buy HOT it's a disaster
    PVP unbalanced
    Community became terrible
    Meta FAP FAP or GTFO
    DUNGEON DEAD
    NO new DUNGEONS
    OLD FRACTAL IS not common end content  as If before hot I didn't run it 1k times to get the skins
    New maps are extremely hard and people who still play them is very few
    New classes aren't that cool as it might seem
    Precursor questing is same grinding some people stated that is easier to farm gold to buy it on auction house
    Mastery Points nightmare you will have to farm COF dungeon if u find people to get ur masteries lvl it was a nightmare I bought HOT at release but didn't play until now I hoped new mastery bull shit will be removed but now its in game and retarded  you will have to stay in dungeons and for hours to farm exp very harmful to you brain I almost passed out ...just stupid
    Hot content consist of 2 armor sets
    and A few skins for each class that is also very hard and grindy to achive
    Raids  you won't find a single team who will take you
    you need full ascendant gear you need meta build and you have to spend hours in hope to find a team
    I have fully geared necro herald but I could not find a single exp team to do the raid ....the one I found were some noobs that didn't even read tactics and we wiped
    Lack of reward for meta events they might be fun but very confusing for new players and quite annoying
    If you liked Silverwaste and hated Drytop well Hot is DryTop but 10 time worse experience 
    what else lack of content the is no content except grinding attachment for mastery point grinding exp for lvling mastery tiers ...

HOT is a disaster I would ask a refund but I'm afraid they might also cancel first game I bought before HOT

Personally I would play ESO of course its not perfect and it has it own issues but at least ESO have so damn much content I left because my class was destroyed ...and I was one of first vet after release loved the game did most quests but when they ruined sorcerer I could not stand it mean while Dragonborn ))) was face rolling dungeons and pvp idk how thing are now ......

But don't even think to play gw2 its worst than ever

Right now waiting for BDO but I'm disappointing with B2p and outrageous cash shop trend that gw2 started
    Ill explain gw2 for a long time did nothing than adding content to cash shop armors cash shop weapons cash shop vanity crap cash shop ....and a few events and quest every half year .....
    I'm afraid BDO will be the same also Russian guys told me game is extremely grinding
    questing is most typical korean grind fest
    If questing is interesting content for you you might hate it in BDO and again very grind game
    I haven't played yet but this is what I was told by guys that started on Kr server and now are on official Russian idk I will check it on release
    I will buy to  try if I will play it like arch age for 15 mins I will ask refund
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If you really like GW2 that much, I would buy the expansion and keep playing.  Move to ESO when you're ready.  If you move to ESO immediately, you might feel like you missed out on the additional content and be tempted to put ESO on the back burner anyway to go back and get the new content.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited March 2016
    If your into PVP, ESO is a lag ridden slide show in any large scale fights. After off and on for 2 years i finally threw in the towel. Bought HOT and so far I'm enjoying it. The one thing I really enjoy that I forgot about was when I returned to GW2 I saw name and guild name plates on people I was fighting alongside. You never realize just how much you miss small stuff like that until some game developer (ZOS) decides they want to be different in a bad way..

If your a pve player the quests in ESO are generally very good. The world is beautiful and well designed IMO. Most class skills are pretty boring. When they removed softcaps it took away a lot of the creative character builds.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It depends on your playstyle.  ESO is more of a game for mini-maxers as you have to do nearly everything to be effective or else it will take you a long time to level.  GW2 is more causal, I stay away from HoT.  I got in got my Elites and Glider perks and seldom go back, it's a small part of game content.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    bcbully said:
    ESO for lore, pvp, skill system, combat, no cash to gold conversion and large quarterly DLCs. 

GW2 for casual world event play. Find a zerg event train run around hit button and profit.  If you like to spend cash, you can buy everything in game you want including leveling. 
    holy shit i did not know that.

i am so sick and tired of all these mmo's selling items that are trade-able in game for cash. that is what F2P has reduced this genre to......
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    baphamet said:
    bcbully said:
    ESO for lore, pvp, skill system, combat, no cash to gold conversion and large quarterly DLCs. 

GW2 for casual world event play. Find a zerg event train run around hit button and profit.  If you like to spend cash, you can buy everything in game you want including leveling. 
    holy shit i did not know that.

i am so sick and tired of all these mmo's selling items that are trade-able in game for cash. that is what F2P has reduced this genre to......
    If you want to fork $500+ for a skin that does nothing in terms of power levels, kudos to you.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Talon_DeathravenTalon_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 46
    For me is simple >ESO have mounts !
  • DajunkaDajunka Member UncommonPosts: 12
    ESO is more atmospheric and thought out than GW2-HOTS
    GW2-HOTS is more fun and less boring than ESO.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I think that ESO is a much better game than GW2.. just better art/graphics/world/feel in my opinion, but I also think that it is not as good as Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. I guess its probably better than Daggerfall. If you are a PVE player those game are much better. ESO is about to come out with dark brotherhood so that is pretty cool.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have played both games extensively.  What made me realize GW2 was better for me was the following.  I would go away from both games and then come back to both.  ESO I would play for maybe a week or so then get bored and remember why I left.  When I come back to GW2, I stay for awhile, usually a few months or sometimes longer.  With ESO I feel like I running some kind of cyclical event, with GW2 I don't get that feeling.  This is just my experience and I hope you find what's best for you.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    my vote goes to ESO , way more content and way more fun
  • DajunkaDajunka Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I have played both games extensively.  What made me realize GW2 was better for me was the following.  I would go away from both games and then come back to both.  ESO I would play for maybe a week or so then get bored and remember why I left.  When I come back to GW2, I stay for awhile, usually a few months or sometimes longer.  With ESO I feel like I running some kind of cyclical event, with GW2 I don't get that feeling.  This is just my experience and I hope you find what's best for you.

This ^^^
  • angell81angell81 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    For me is simple >ESO have mounts !

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    People seem to forget that buying ESO alone wont give you the full game. YOu have to buy all the DLCs which add up to a full priced game on top of the base ESO price. So yeah, you can either buy HoTs and get the full game, or buy ESO and then all the DLCs to get the full game. 

IMO both area good deals if you like the games, but ESO scores you a higher price for the full experience. I decided to HoTs over the DLCs of ESO, but will buy them some time in the future as well.

I would say buy whichever game picks your interest the most, then get the other game later on sale. Cant go wrong with either of the two, but nobody else can say what picks your interest. Your choice.
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/09/09/available-now-eso-gold-edition-and-guilds-and-glory-dlc-mega-pack
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.