Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Open Beta Weekend Binge Impressions

H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
So I spent my free time this weekend playing Overwatch.  Every spare moment that my family didn't require of me, was spent in front of my PC playing  as many different characters as I cared to play and finding out which ones I would want to use for launch.

I have a few impressions that I would like to share, basically the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good

• The game is very well designed from an aesthetics point of view.  I realize this is a personal opinion, but the game world is inviting without being distracting.
  • Scoring.  I know that this a controversial subject with some players of traditional FPS games, but that's where you have to stop and step back.  This isn't a traditional FPS game and in fact some people in a match never have to fire a shot.  How do you score Mercy if your only metric is Kill Death Ratio?  How do you score Reinhardt if he wins the match for you by trundling the payload forward and blocking damage? You can't.  The scoring system of highlighting the good players and their group contribution and then having players vote on the best contribution is absolutely fantastic.
  • The levels, for the most part (we'll get to that later), blend into the background and are well crafted scenery for the battles. The cities actually feel like cities with the layout making sense.  I never feel lost in these cities like I do in some games like Fallout 4 where I'm constantly referencing my map to figure out where the hell I am.
  • The hero's are all very well designed.  Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.  What I found to be truly wonderful was that there are 20+ hero's and none of their abilities overlap.  There's really nothing in the game that plays like any other character.  Being really good at McCree will not guarantee that you'll be good with Phara as their attacks, shot travel time and other considerations are all completely different.
  • Hero balance is, again for the most part, really good.  Each hero feels OP in the right moment and only in that moment.  Catch someone by themselves with McCree at close range?  His alpha damage will end your existence quick.  Hanging around the edge of the fight without any support?  Tracer will find you and will whittle you down why you try to figure out where she is.  Bunched up on the objective too tightly?  Say hello Junkrat's explody munitions or Phara's ultimate.
  • It has something for everyone.  If you can't aim, then play Reinhardt, Roadhog, D.va or Reaper.  If you can jump off of building, spin around three times and shoot someone in the face from across the map, then play Widowmaker or Hanzo.  If you like getting close and personal, then Winston and Genji get the job done.  There's really a hero for everyone, and for most people there's several.
  • It's the most polished game I think I've ever played in Beta.  During the entire weekend of play I only saw one bug, and it was an environmental glitch that was completely random.
  • Each map is designed for one game mode.  This means that if a map is bad, then they only have to fix the bad spot and it won't effect another game mode.
  • The loot boxes and collectibles for each character are really fun to collect and make leveling up enjoyable.  The skins range from coloration of the original to complete character alterations which is great if you don't like the basic look.  Personally I love the Gambler outfit for McCree. It's so western.

The Bad

• A couple of the maps need some reworking.  Temple of Anubis on attack is an incredible pain in the ass.  I would say that the vast majority of my losses this weekend were trying to attack on ToA and the majority of my incredible plays were as defense.  The defenders have it very easy on this map.
  • Symmetra is weak.  Like really weak.  She's great for the first 2-5 minutes of an objective based match where she can build a nest of death, but the minute that nest of death is cleared, then she's down to two very weak ranged attacks.  One too slow to hit and the other too short ranged to survive being hit.  Her mini-turret laying ability needs to be buffed so she can lay them much more quickly and the health of the turrets needs to be raised so that they aren't immediately killed by incidental splash damage.
  • Hanzo is straight up overpowered as a character.  The hitbox for his arrows is huge.  I've watched playbacks where his arrow hit my chest, but it counted as a headshot.  I've seen him miss my head, with the arrow going over my shoulder and it's a hit.  Not so bad tho right?  Except Hanzo headshots are one shot kills for the majority of players.  Nothing is more annoying that spawning, running into the fight and "pfffft" dead from an arrow the chest.  His arrow hitbox needs to be severely reduced.  At range he is an absolute monster.
  • Team composition needs some work.  The game really shouldn't allow a team to take 3 or more of the same character in a match.  If there are already two bastions, then the game should disallow a third.
  • The Play of the Game is bad.  Really bad.  Quite often I would do something this weekend like clear an entire point of five people solo with Soldier 76 and the play of the game would be Tjorborn getting a couple of turret kills while he hid in a corner healing.  Weak.  Also, the PotG favors environmental kills highly. Manage to use Lucio's pushback to throw a couple people off of a cliff to their deaths?  Yeah, expect that to be the PotG.

The Ugly

• Connection drops were a constant irritating thorn in my side during the weekend.  I'm not sure why this is happening, but many times I would be in the middle of a match and the connection would just drop.  This alone is annoying, but even more annoying is that if you DC, then your place on the team is filled instantly.  It doesn't give you 30 seconds to get back in the match or anything, just Q up for another round with a new team and hope you don't get dropped that time.

Comments

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Mine. Best FPS in years. Also Hanzo is easy as hell to kill.
  • timf2121timf2121 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited May 2016
    Of course like all blizzard game, well polished, artistic, fluid game play. Here is my 2 cents of the game: 
    1. Burnout: all game modes offer similar objectives. It gets repetitive very fast.
    2. No char development: As a mmorpg player, it disappoint me that all heroes can only mod skins,voices and it is quite superficial. You don't feel the attachment you have with your char in a MMORPG
    3: Lack of goal: It is good to jump in to have some fun but nothing keeps me in this game for over 2 hrs lets say because there is literally nothing else to do other than fighting repetitive battles  

Will I buy the game for 40 bucks? Unlikely, unless the game offer some stuff to keep me playing.  
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    It has that Unreal Tournament feel of quality.. And is the best game of its kind since UT.
    Love how coop is very important, and the heroes have so many supportive abilities.
    But it lacks purpose, and could use more interesting goals, to avoid getting repetetive.
    Best of all is that it is a premium game with no p2w shop bull.. But I guess only Blizzard can get away with that.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    timf2121 said:
    Of course like all blizzard game, well polished, artistic, fluid game play. Here is my 2 cents of the game: 
    1. Burnout: all game modes offer similar objectives. It gets repetitive very fast.
    2. No char development: As a mmorpg player, it disappoint me that all heroes can only mod skins,voices and it is quite superficial. You don't feel the attachment you have with your char in a MMORPG
    3: Lack of goal: It is good to jump in to have some fun but nothing keeps me in this game for over 2 hrs lets say because there is literally nothing else to do other than fighting repetitive battles  

Will I buy the game for 40 bucks? Unlikely, unless the game offer some stuff to keep me playing.  
    1. This is really one of those first world problems that has only emerged in the past five to eight years.  When there were only 4-5 good games on the market at any given time, we played them for years on end.  I remember playing Doom Multiplayer for a couple of years at least.  I never once felt burnt out.  This is not Overwatch's fault.  It's shorter attention spans and over saturation of the game market.
    2. So I played Battleborn for about a day and I quit that day.  It has character development and that character development is what is killing the game.  Join a match where one team has characters that are all 2-3 levels above everyone on your team and you might as well hang up your spurs. No, it's best that an "FPS" has characters that don't level in my opinion.  Keeps the playing field 100% level and player skill based.
    3. This game, and all shooters, are literally about fighting repetitive battles.  This is just a point of fact for the genre, and indeed most games.  Play DoTA for a month and all you've done is repetitive battles... pick almost any PVP game and it's the same story.
    Blizzard will certainly keep offering stuff.  The one thing that they are good at doing is continuing development long past when other developers would have dropped a title.  Look at Diablo III.  It was released in 2012 and is still getting patches, one of them went live today.  This game will continue to get support.  Maps, modes, hero's.. this game will go on for years.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    DMKano said:
    My much shorter version:

The good - it plays well, it's pretty polished - it's Blizzard
    The bad - it's basically TF2 with heroes, I didn't find anything that made me go "wow - I can't wait to play this again"

The ugly - there are about a handful of other games that are very similar

Bottom line - it's just ok because it doesn't really do anything new for me - but I am not the target audience for this anyway

Agree with all  points 100%. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    H0urg1ass said:
    So I spent my free time this weekend playing Overwatch.  Every spare moment that my family didn't require of me, was spent in front of my PC playing  as many different characters as I cared to play and finding out which ones I would want to use for launch.
    I have a few impressions that I would like to share, basically the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Bad
    Symmetra is weak.  Like really weak.  She's great for the first 2-5 minutes of an objective based match where she can build a nest of death, but the minute that nest of death is cleared, then she's down to two very weak ranged attacks.  One too slow to hit and the other too short ranged to survive being hit.  Her mini-turret laying ability needs to be buffed so she can lay them much more quickly and the health of the turrets needs to be raised so that they aren't immediately killed by incidental splash damage.

You couldn't be more wrong my friend. You are new though it's ok ;) From a person who has played Symm well over 100 hours in the last two 2 closed betas and this open one, I can tell you there are many reasons why Symm has the highest win percentage of all the heroes. She's been nerfed several times but her tool set is so strong it doesn't really mater. 

Take what you learned about heroes and balance then forget it all come launch and enter with an open mind. What you thought you knew will most likely change in profound ways. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I have to disagree a bit on Symmetra.  Her weapon is one of the most powerful in the game, assuming you can keep it channeling for a few moments.  She can shred a defensive or tank character in no time.  The secondary fire also goes through shields - Reinhardt and Winston; and both firing modes go through Genji's deflects.  Spamming out her secondary fire orbs also channels her ultimate at a crazy rate - there were games where I had 50% teleporter uptime, and it kept my team on the objective more often than the other team can handle.

So I disagree that she's weak.  I think her problem is that she is presented as a defensive-minded support, when she should be classified more as walking death with some support abilities.  The turrets are not her primary role - or maybe it would be more accurate to say, they probably should be her role but their range is too short and they are too fragile to fulfill that - rather, she provides an extra bit of health in the form of a one-time armor bubble, one of the most efficient methods of killing tank characters, and one of the most under-appreciated ultimates in the game.  The turrets, I feel, are more for annoyance by placing them near health pickups or over doorways; and even then, only placing one or two for the slow and minor damage, not actually trying to kill someone with them.

The only effective counters to a good Symmetra that I have seen are Tracer, Pharah, or a Junkrat spamming out explosives for area denial since her primary is such short range.  Of course, Widowmaker is a good counter to almost anyone, and that includes Symmetra if you are not playing smart, or have a team that doesn't prioritize taking her down.

Completely agree on Hanzo and the play of the game, though.  Nine times out of ten it's just a McCree hitting his Ult, or Hanzo using his Ult in a hallway, or a Torbjorn on defense using his Ult and having the turret kill three or four people while he heals it.
    bcbully said:
    H0urg1ass said:

The Bad
    Symmetra is weak.  Like really weak.  She's great for the first 2-5 minutes of an objective based match where she can build a nest of death, but the minute that nest of death is cleared, then she's down to two very weak ranged attacks.  One too slow to hit and the other too short ranged to survive being hit.  Her mini-turret laying ability needs to be buffed so she can lay them much more quickly and the health of the turrets needs to be raised so that they aren't immediately killed by incidental splash damage.
    You couldn't be more wrong my friend. You are new though it's ok ;) From a person who has played Symm well over 100 hours in the last two 2 closed betas and this open one, I can tell you there are many reasons why Symm has the highest win percentage of all the heroes. She's been nerfed several times but her tool set is so strong it doesn't really mater. 

Take what you learned about heroes and balance then forget it all come launch and enter with an open mind. What you thought you knew will most likely change in profound ways. 
    I understand that all of the hero's can be good in the hands of a master, but really the vast majority of Symmetra players are dabblers at best.  She's only good in the hands of a great player.  There's no medium ground with her.  It's feast or famine.  

This is something that shouldn't occur in Overwatch.  The rest of the characters are easy to play and difficult to master.  Symmetra is difficult to play and God mode to master.

My contention, is that she needs something to put her more in line with the other characters.  My suggestion would be to give her a better alternate fire that isn't a giant slow useless ball of light, or increase the range on her primary attack by about 50% more.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    H0urg1ass said:
    bcbully said:
    H0urg1ass said:

The Bad

I understand that all of the hero's can be good in the hands of a master, but really the vast majority of Symmetra players are dabblers at best.  She's only good in the hands of a great player.  There's no medium ground with her.  It's feast or famine.  

This is something that shouldn't occur in Overwatch.  The rest of the characters are easy to play and difficult to master.  Symmetra is difficult to play and God mode to master.

My contention, is that she needs something to put her more in line with the other characters.  My suggestion would be to give her a better alternate fire that isn't a giant slow useless ball of light, or increase the range on her primary attack by about 50% more.
    That giant ball of light literally goes through everything and does damage like a cannon. Literally everything that's not a wall. Right through Reinhardt's shield, him, and the 3 people behind him.  

I use it as an area/spot/line defense weapon. You cannot stand in it's path. 

All I'm saying is there is a lot going on in Overwatch. The more you play the more you understand. Regardless it seems like you like it. I do too.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I have very limited time because of full time job, two little kidds and wife. This game is perfect for me. Log in, have fun, log out. No item grind, easy to learn, hard to master. Good balance. I know I lost a fight because of my skill not because of my items or because of OP chars. Well done. I will buy it.
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    pwain said:
    I have very limited time because of full time job, two little kidds and wife. This game is perfect for me. Log in, have fun, log out. No item grind, easy to learn, hard to master. Good balance. I know I lost a fight because of my skill not because of my items or because of OP chars. Well done. I will buy it.
    Same here. Did not pre-purchase, since I am not much of a FPS player since Unreal Tournament.
    Tried the Open Beta and had a blast with short sessions, a very good fit for a family man with a little girl.
    I will purchase also.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Agree with most @OP said

I really hope they will do some re balancing and tweaking based on open beta results.

Other than that its perfect fun shooter where you can play for 15 minutes or hour and have lot of fun.
    Can not imagine better filler game for me.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    To my surprise, and I have had some disdain for Blizzard in recent years, I think I'll be purchasing.

Pros:
    • 21 heroes, each totally different.
    • Quick short-session games.  As a few said, perfect for adults with families that just want to get a quick game or two in before dinner or something.  Perfect for me.
    • Relatively polished and smooth (the bugs I saw in closed betas seemed to be gone).
    • MOST (not all) heroes are pretty well balanced and provide something for everyone.
    • Team oriented
    • It just feels good.  Smooth.  Visceral.  

Cons:
    • Minimum $39.99 purchase...Dirty Bomb is free and offers as much of a gameplay experience.  Honestly, this is the biggest turnoff.
    • Lack of a 'skill requirement'.  Aside from maybe widowmaker and snipers, and I could be wrong, there aren't any skill shots or head shots that do increased damage.  
    • I like the scoring, but I do wish it were easier to see kill/death ratios.
    • I'm still unsure what levels do to your progression/character.
    • No private server/custom server options.  I don't always want to just have a match finder, I'd like to play on favorite servers.  But I don't want the matches to be moddible for each server.
    • Play of the game is fantastic!  But always seems to go to bastion currently 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    DMKano said:
    My much shorter version:

The bad - it's basically TF2 with heroes, I didn't find anything that made me go "wow - I can't wait to play this again"

Bottom line - it's just ok because it doesn't really do anything new for me - but I am not the target audience for this anyway
    I suspect with Overwatch, Blizzard wanted to do to TF2 and other games in this genres, what they did to EQ with WoW.  But what, there just isn't enough to work with or stream line and mainstream to create the next blockbuster hit?  

To me games like this seem niche, and will most likely remain so, I think its odd Blizzard stuck their big toe in this pool thinking everyone would follow them.....again.

I guess we will see.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    DMKano said:
    My much shorter version:

This was sadly my take away as well. I mean it's good, but there's nothing there that really pulls me in or that I haven't seen before.

Steam: Neph

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    cesmode8 said:
    To my surprise, and I have had some disdain for Blizzard in recent years, I think I'll be purchasing.

Pros:
    • Quick short-session games.  As a few said, perfect for adults with families that just want to get a quick game or two in before dinner or something.  Perfect for me.
    • Relatively polished and smooth (the bugs I saw in closed betas seemed to be gone).
    • MOST (not all) heroes are pretty well balanced and provide something for everyone.
    • Team oriented

Cons:
    • Minimum $39.99 purchase...Dirty Bomb is free and offers as much of a gameplay experience.  Honestly, this is the biggest turnoff.
    • Lack of a 'skill requirement'.  Aside from maybe widowmaker and snipers, and I could be wrong, there aren't any skill shots or head shots that do increased damage.  
    • No private server/custom server options.  I don't always want to just have a match finder, I'd like to play on favorite servers.  But I don't want the matches to be moddible for each server.

Dirty Bomb is probably the closest game to Overwatch , shame more people dont know that little gem.

However DB is for some reason stuck in state of permanent confused development. The game is in development for 6 years all ready. 2 years in open beta.

Yet it only has 5 maps. Whole last year they added only one map.

Some of characters are simply broken. And even they admit this. Yet nothing is done at all.
    Phantom was broken for entire year. Even devs joke about it. But nothing is done.

For 40$ you get Blizzard treatment behind game:

That confirmed ( by standard of any and all of their previous games) means :

Constant balance fixes

Patches and additional content for years to come ( They are making patches and new content for diablo 2 still )

Uncompromising quality

So in fact that 40$ is much better deal than anything you get for "free" with F2P

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Game is great.  A few things need to be looked at.  Like Bastion.  Also some characters are crazy good, but difficult to master, like Tracer.  Which is a good thing.
  • NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
    "Symmetra is weak". 

It's my favorite hero and shes incredibly strong.
    Getting gold medals for kills and damage(10k+) is pretty normal on her.

When I play her I focus on controlling a room with my turrets so I can eventually have a portal room for my team. I make sure this room is near the enemies travel route so I can 1 shot most heroes with my right click (Yes 1 shot kill), if they don't die, they will when they come after me into the room. 
    If you don't leave your room they need REALLY good team work to clear it because of your turrets + right click in a small space.

Anyways, I had a blast but I'm not paying more than 20 for a game anymore.
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    cesmode8 said:

Pros:
    • Team oriented

Cons:
    While I do agree with most of your points, i'm going to have to disagree on
    two of your cons.

-"Dirty Bomb is free and offers as much of a gameplay experience."
    I've played DB religiously since it became available and I've played Overwatch since the closed beta
    and I can assure you, their similarities are little. DB is more identical to the Battlefield series if anything. Plus the fact that DB receives updates at snail pace, but I digress. 

-"Lack of a 'skill requirement'"
    Many characters actually do gain benefits for landing direct hits/headshots. McCree, Tracer, Soldier: 76, Genji, Torbjorn to name a few, do benefit from headshots. This isn't even taking into account skills or weapons that require a degree of skill to land, Roadhog's Hook and Pharah's rocket launcher (deals bonus damage on direct hit IIRC) for example.

You're on point with the Bastion PotG though.
    It's nice and all but once you've had your fill of a Bastion in turret mode mowing down two or three people
    over and over, it gets boring
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    2-day review is 2-days.  Hanzo OP and Symetra UP.  Doesn't seem that way to me.  Hanzo can do nothing if you get close to him and Symetra has a history of the highest win rate in the game.

As for it being similar to tf2, I never played that so it's all pretty new and fresh to me.  I've also watched streamers saying the game is significantly different.
    edited May 2016
    2-day review is 2-days.  Hanzo OP and Symetra UP.  Doesn't seem that way to me.  Hanzo can do nothing if you get close to him and Symetra has a history of the highest win rate in the game.
    If you've been doing something your whole life and you need more than two days to review it, then you probably picked the wrong hobby.  That being said, I played it four days, pretty much all day for two of 'em. Most game reviewers don't even give a game that much courtesy, so I guess you're discounting pretty much every game reviewer out there.  Which is fine, some people don't pay them no mind at all.

Hanzo is OP.  The arrow hit box is about the diameter of a railway gun barrel.  It sure as shit ain't the diameter of the arrows he's shooting.  They need to tighten up the size of that thing so he's not getting head shots when the replays clearly show him missing the head entirely.  People who say "Well he ain't much when you get close" are like the people that say, "well them German MG 42's aren't all that scary if you sneak up behind them."  Also, every single time I encountered a "MLG pro" in the open beta, pulling near 50 kills in a match, he was a Hanzo player.  They know how big that hit box is.

I'm sure that there are some good Symmetra players out there, and I'm equally sure that most pro outfits will use her for the teleporter alone.  My contention, and I'm standing by it, is that she's very hard to play well for the average player and damn near god mode for the average player to master.  If you're not the average player, then I'm not speaking to you, but the vast majority of people I saw using her this weekend were utterly lost like a lieutenant on a land navigation course.  What Overwatch should be aiming for is easy to play, and hard to master, and that description just doesn't fit Symmetra.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Good general review. I don't think Symettra needs to be buffed. To explain this use her in a payload mission where you can put her turrets on the payload itself. Good luck getting anywhere near it afterwards without a Reinhardt or Winstein shielding you from the little things. I agree that she is weak in actual combat but her purpose is specifically specialized support. She is not meant to go toe to toe with defensive or Attack type heroes. She is meant to stay back and provide support and build turrets to make her team take an advantage. Besides her ultimate is downright awesome if used properly (Which is a limited teleporter).

As far as Hanzo goes. He isn't OP at all. If you get near Hanzo, which you can very easily with Genji for example or Reaper. Hanzo goes down pretty easily, hes not good at close combat unless he gets a lucky head shot, at close range its very hard to pull off. I think a lot of people hate Hanzo because most players can stay back and snipe with him....just like Widomaker.... which is also a sniper. I think between the two Widow is a lot more OP because she can see through walls for the team and has a escape mechanic for oh pooh moments. Just my 2 cents on that.

The only major controversial hero that I got a ton of feedback on during my beta weekend was largely Bastion. He also hogged the play of the day, which I agree can sometimes record the wrong type of plays during the match. Bastion can set himself up in a corner and mow down people. In fact he can be so dangerous that its a strategy now. Basically set your team up with a Bastion, Reinhardt placing a shield and Mercy protecting him. It is very very difficult to defeat this combination, but it is possible if you play smart.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    edited May 2016
    Dunno why do you have to discuss Overwatch on a MMO site? Didn't know when blizzard make a game it's automatically an MMO. So you can add Battlefield/CS:GO, Team Fortress as well. Such morons nowadays...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    edited May 2016
    lickm3 said:
    Dunno why do you have to discuss Overwatch on a MMO site? Didn't know when blizzard make a game it's automatically an MMO. So you can add Battlefield/CS:GO, Team Fortress as well. Such morons nowadays...
     games that arent mmo's have been discussed on this site for ever.   they even did a review of overwatch on this site,  oh and, the creators of the website even made a sub form for overwatch.   guess that doesnt mean we should talk about it
    Post edited by st4t1ck on
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    edited May 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    If you've been doing something your whole life and you need more than two days to review it, then you probably picked the wrong hobby.  That being said, I played it four days, pretty much all day for two of 'em. Most game reviewers don't even give a game that much courtesy, so I guess you're discounting pretty much every game reviewer out there.  Which is fine, some people don't pay them no mind at all.

Hanzo is OP.  The arrow hit box is about the diameter of a railway gun barrel.  It sure as shit ain't the diameter of the arrows he's shooting.  They need to tighten up the size of that thing so he's not getting head shots when the replays clearly show him missing the head entirely.  People who say "Well he ain't much when you get close" are like the people that say, "well them German MG 42's aren't all that scary if you sneak up behind them."  Also, every single time I encountered a "MLG pro" in the open beta, pulling near 50 kills in a match, he was a Hanzo player.  They know how big that hit box is.

I'm sure that there are some good Symmetra players out there, and I'm equally sure that most pro outfits will use her for the teleporter alone.  My contention, and I'm standing by it, is that she's very hard to play well for the average player and damn near god mode for the average player to master.  If you're not the average player, then I'm not speaking to you, but the vast majority of people I saw using her this weekend were utterly lost like a lieutenant on a land navigation course.  What Overwatch should be aiming for is easy to play, and hard to master, and that description just doesn't fit Symmetra.
    That's why there are 20 other characters of varying skill difficulties available to play if she's not for you. Not all characters were made with the intention to be easily accessible or pick up and play and that's a good design decision. If every character is easy to pick up and play - long term that's boring and leaves you with a shallow game experience. The current design however leaves room for an depth and advancement in skill as you grow better at the game and are able to expand your character pool. 

Personally I don't care for OverWatch, but I disagree with your assessment.

Steam: Neph