Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Blizzard has made a clone.

Comments

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    This is what Blizzard has always done.  Take a solid idea and polish it up.

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Not sure what exact games would be the "inspiration" for the Warcraft/Starcraft or Diablo series, but I'm sure there were games that were very similar yet unpolished versions before them.

Anyway, you can't fault players for wanting to play polished versions of games with solid ideas.

This has always been the problem with Blizzard- they don't innovate, so their wild success is bad for innovation in gaming, especially when companies try to copy their copies of games- we end up with a crapload of soulless games.

At the same time, it's Blizzard's strength.  They can just about say they've never made a bad game, which would have been impossible if they were coming up with new and original ideas (some are bound to fail).

Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty -> Warcraft Orcs and Humans.
    Ultima Series(not Online) -> Diablo

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Aalamr said:
    timtrack said:
    Imagine if this was an art forum for painters.

OP: "Look at my painting of the sea guys. Please don't flame me!"
    Cheetos1337: "OMFG this is a clone of other paintings of the sea."
    NotAVirgin933: "IT'S THE SAME PAINTING AS THIS OTHER PAINTING! If you put them next to each other you can clearly see they are both of the sea, ergo it's the same."

Please don't be a bloody philistine. Paintings have a lot of elements to consider when being critiqued. Colour, tone, line, shape, space etc. Remove yourself and your ignorance from this thread and remember to get some common knowledge next time you passive-aggressively reply to anything.

Aalamr said:
    filmoret said:
    Aalamr said:
    How about when it comes to whether or not OW is a TF2 clone we all just agree to disagree rather than try and convince others or force our opinions on them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that and I wish others would do the same.
    Because when you can easily take the characters and their playstyles and put them into the other game without causing problems.  This is hard to ignore and say they aren't the same game.  They are the same game but with different characters and some of them are actually the same character.
    Seriously.... well clearly you are too immature to let this go but I've grown tired of debating so I'm done. I will have fun playing Overwatch and I hope you continue to enjoy TF2 or whatever you are playing at the moment.

Fun is subjective. Facts, however, are objective. The fact that basically everything Blizzard has been doing since 2008 has been a casualized polished version of another game or elements from a more or less successful franchise is fact. The games older than 2008 are also pretty much polished versions of other successful games or IPs in those times (Warcraft -> Warhammer Fantasy, Starcraft -> Warhammer 40000, WoW was basically Everquest + elements from Dark Age of Camelot, I'm not sure about Diablo since I don't care enough about the franchise to get info on it).

Nobody is telling anyone not to enjoy the games and no sane person would judge a game based on the fact that it's borrowing elements from another game IF the thing's actually good. But the company BORROWING those elements is not subjective, it's FACT.

How you people are insecure enough to take offense at some random no-face/no-name on the internet criticizing your "beloved" company (remember children, everyone is in it for the money, no matter what their marketing division is saying) but not a big enough fan to actually research said company is beyond me. Then again, most of the users of this website have no idea how the gaming industry works, so what should I expect? Please, get out and come back once you've got at least basic knowledge on game design, development and history regarding the different companies whose products you keep shilling for.
    lol bro this has far from offended me. I honestly don't care at this point which is why I am completely done debating. I just want to go and enjoy the game when it comes out. Like I said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that and I shall leave it at that. Not going to be baited back into this argument so you can take your pedestal somewhere else. 
    "not even mad bro"

Sure, go enjoy your game or whatever. Staying ignorant to information you could easily find googling for 5 minutes or having enough experience under your belt pretty much sums up what you're capable of.

Sadly, with internet being so widespread nowadays, everyone is forced the endure everyone else's opinions being thrown around as facts and there's nothing we can do about it.
    You have no idea how much pleasure it gives me getting a rise out of people like you who take this kind of thing so seriously. I bet you are a lot of fun to be around. Have fun being a condescending ass. I'm going to sleep.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    But why does it matter? They took a game and made it in my opinion better in almost every way. TF2 was ruined by valve when it went F2P and introduced sets of armor that did things to your characters, and insane amount of weapons. You say once again, like they cloned every game they made. As far as I know Diablo wasn't really a clone, it was just an ARPG that was fun and easy to play. That's kind of how most of their games are. Easy versions of things in each genre, that are polished insanely well, and play really fluid. This is their first FPS and they have done it super well, Blizzard is just really good at making fun to play games. Who cares if it's a clone or not. Everything is a clone at this point, unless you get artsy like The Witness.
    Basically the biggest complaint I see is that TF2 > OW. Here is the thing, they play similar except that the armor and items you get as mentioned above are what ruined TF2 for me. Overwatch has complete characters that rely on how well your team is in sync. TF2 is similar except that if one team has more item or armor upgrades they can easily over power the other side regardless of how well you play together.
  • CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    That's what they've always done. They're the Michael Bay of game studios; they have no actual new ideas, but they can polish up other peoples' ideas and make them extremely idiot-friendly.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    That's what they've always done. They're the Michael Bay of game studios; they have no actual new ideas, but they can polish up other peoples' ideas and make them extremely idiot-friendly.
    WoW brought a lot of new ideas to the genre. Lots of people on this website don't like the new ideas, but that's really no surprise since people on this website bitch about everything and anything. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    This is what Blizzard has always done.  Take a solid idea and polish it up.

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Not sure what exact games would be the "inspiration" for the Warcraft/Starcraft or Diablo series, but I'm sure there were games that were very similar yet unpolished versions before them.

Anyway, you can't fault players for wanting to play polished versions of games with solid ideas.

This has always been the problem with Blizzard- they don't innovate, so their wild success is bad for innovation in gaming, especially when companies try to copy their copies of games- we end up with a crapload of soulless games.

At the same time, it's Blizzard's strength.  They can just about say they've never made a bad game, which would have been impossible if they were coming up with new and original ideas (some are bound to fail).

To be fair was Diablo not a clone even if it was made by Blizzard North and not truly Blizzard. While certain games had the same perspective (like Gauntlet) it had a very distinctive feel when it released no-one else had. Warcraft and the vikings games were not unique but far enough from anything else at their time as well.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited May 2016
    Lypheus said:
    Sadly - WarCraft was a clone too lol - it's called Dune 2 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II
    Sadly?! Gtfo!

And Dune 2 was a clone of. .. ? No! Just don't tell me Dune 2 was just .. the first in his kind! Every game takes more or less from another game! Every car takes more or less from another car and even you or me are a clone of father and mother , more or less.  So? 

But I am wondering , if this new company producing... milk comes to the market, what would you call them? Milky Clone? MC? 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    This game reminds me of Global Agenda too..
    It's like a marketable Global Agenda without the self-defeating initial subscription that people will want to play.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630
    filmoret said:
    For years we heard the term WOW clone.  Upon looking for a new fps to play I have found that there are several games already released that are just like Overwatch.  We all know Team Fortress 2 so what is out there that we do not know?   Dirty Bomb launched June 1, 2015.  OGplanet coming this year.  Lawbreakers also coming out this year.  This is just from one search on f2p fps games.  There is no telling what exists that was b2p.  But yea Overwatch is a TF2 clone even the login screen is clone and well Blizzard has cloned something and players love them for it.  Once again.
    Hello Cpt. Obvious.... you don't get cool points for pointing out... the obvious.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    For years we heard the term WOW clone.  Upon looking for a new fps to play I have found that there are several games already released that are just like Overwatch.  We all know Team Fortress 2 so what is out there that we do not know?   Dirty Bomb launched June 1, 2015.  OGplanet coming this year.  Lawbreakers also coming out this year.  This is just from one search on f2p fps games.  There is no telling what exists that was b2p.  But yea Overwatch is a TF2 clone even the login screen is clone and well Blizzard has cloned something and players love them for it.  Once again.
    Hello Cpt. Obvious.... you don't get cool points for pointing out... the obvious.
    How about starting a thread that got over 120 responses and 5.3k views?  You may now call me Cpt Cool.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    filmoret said:
    Don't play it,  this is why there are so many  games, its that simple, I personally like it way better than TF2... 
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Aalamr said:
    Not to start another debate but couldn't one argue that riot is cashing in off the popularity of the origonal Warcraft 3 Dota.

just saying, there are very few origonal ideas now.
    When there is ones that do this, either A people dislike it, or  they are hard to fund..... Please try to make a game, and you will see what I mean...I been a gamer for over 30 years, and I turned Developer, I see both sides, but the development side is not all peaches and cream....People will always find reasons to complain... period... We need to stay in business to, or no games will be made.... People think making games is so easy...I suggest to try it...
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    edited May 2016
    Aalamr said:
    Not to start another debate but couldn't one argue that riot is cashing in off the popularity of the origonal Warcraft 3 Dota.

just saying, there are very few origonal ideas now.
    When there is ones that do this, either A people dislike it, or  they are hard to fund..... Please try to make a game, and you will see what I mean...I been a gamer for over 30 years, and I turned Developer, I see both sides, but the development side is not all peaches and cream....People will always find reasons to complain... period... We need to stay in business to, or no games will be made.... People think making games is so easy...I suggest to try it...
    Point taken and I am well aware of the development process. I was in no way saying it was simple or even saying that using a preexisting idea is a bad thing. I apologize if it came off that way.

Best of luck on whatever project you are currently working on.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I love it when blizzard makes a clone - they always do it better than the other guys.

Wish they would clone
    - ArcheAge
    - Defiance
    - Motorstorm
    - Tetris
    - Skyrim - only Warcraft based
    - Mario Smash brothers
    - MMorpg.com
    - Facebook
    - Verizon
    - Battlefield - WW2 themed
    - Zelda - Warcraft themed
    - Rolemaster Magestorm

I love it when blizzard makes a clone - they always do it better than the other guys.

Wish they would clone
    - ArcheAge
    - Defiance
    - Motorstorm
    - Tetris
    - Skyrim - only Warcraft based
    - Mario Smash brothers
    - MMorpg.com
    - Facebook
    - Verizon
    - Battlefield - WW2 themed
    - Zelda - Warcraft themed
    - Rolemaster Magestorm

The only thing they did better was mmorpg.  And they even screwed that up given enough time.  If they had half a brain for innovation they would have the king mmorpg with about 20 million players right now.  Instead its copy/paste other ideas and polish.  Repeat
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited May 2016
    And all MMORPGs are clone of Ultima Online. 
    All cars are a clone of the first car, blah, blah, blah.

I wish people would give up on this clone thing.  How many truly new/revolutionary and invented things are there in the world?

Innovation is what counts - taking something that exists and doing something different to it to make it appeal.  Mobile/Cell phones are the evolution of the landline, but no-one criticises them for being a clone.  Same with cars.

The days companies stop innovating i.e. stop improving or changing what is out there already, the day progress stops.

People should get over themselves about things being a clone - only an EXACT replica could be considered to be a clone, but even then, technically it isn't.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    If everyone was making a clone like Blizzard, there would be no clones.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    technically not a clone if the result is better than the original
    Kane72 said:

I wish people would give up on this clone thing.  How many truly new/revolutionary and invented things are there in the world?

Innovation is what counts - taking something that exists and doing something different to it to make it appeal.  Mobile/Cell phones are the evolution of the landline, but no-one criticises them for being a clone.  Same with cars.

The days companies stop innovating i.e. stop improving or changing what is out there already, the day progress stops.

People should get over themselves about things being a clone - only an EXACT replica could be considered to be a clone, but even then, technically it isn't.
    We had to put up with blizzard fans crying about every new mmo being cloned.  Even though they were polished and better versions we still had to put up with it.  Now its our turn.  And I cannot believe you used the word innovation.  There is no innovation here just FPS arena combat with cut-paste just about everything from TF2.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    filmoret said:
    Kane72 said:

We had to put up with blizzard fans crying about every new mmo being cloned.  Even though they were polished and better versions we still had to put up with it.  Now its our turn.  And I cannot believe you used the word innovation.  There is no innovation here just FPS arena combat with cut-paste just about everything from TF2.

Which one was a better version with more polish?
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Horusra said:
    filmoret said:
    Kane72 said:

You can't expect an honest answer to this pretty straightforward question now .... 
    Leon1e said:
    Horusra said:
    filmoret said:
    Kane72 said:

You can't expect an honest answer to this pretty straightforward question now .... 
    You really don't know of any mmo that was similiar to WOW and ground into the dirt by all the blizzard fans?  Regardless of polish and innovation?  That doesn't really require an answer considering there's is abundance of evidence and games that fit this list.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Let Blizzard take Ideas from MMO and use it. Same with other companies. But I do find it funny when some MMO companies do take a idea that was not started from blizzard they judge it as a WoW clone or something.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'd rather play a polished version of a good idea than the original not so good version.

With that said, anybody want to "clone" The Secret World? Add better combat, keep things more Blue Mountain/Kingsmouth/Savage Coast-like. Thanks.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    edited June 2016
    Blizzard Entertainment is by and far one of the best development studios in the world. Seriously. Even if you don't particularly like their games, they reek of quality. Do they borrow ideas from other games? Sure, why wouldn't you? Especially if you feel like you can make a better product that will appeal to more people and find greater success in comparison to your competition - which is exactly what they've done every single time. Blizzard has never released a game that could be considered a failure in any sense of the word, from quality to financial success they've always hit it out of the park.

That's what Blizzard is known for, but beyond that, they're a studio that actually values their name and their brands. Let's not forget that Overwatch is basically a redemption story out of a failed project (Titan) that Blizzard was working on, they couldn't make it fun, they couldn't make it work so instead of releasing a half-assed project/game like so many other companies are willing to do in today's world, they dropped it and focused their efforts somewhere else. As a result of that we got Overwatch. They did the same thing with Starcraft Ghost, Lord of the Clans and even Diablo 3.

At the end of the day, Blizzard can't be beat. There's a reason that Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch and World of Warcraft will FOREVER be household names and genre defining games.
    I like to complain about games.