Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No free to play option?

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I have started to believe anything a developer says will at some time in future be changed to put one over on the gamers. Like ESO they promised never to go F2P and a store yet they laughed at us and went B2P with a store. Now they laugh at us by throwing DLC's at us yet never fix bugs and lag. We can't trust any developer anymore and one day I pray gamers will wake up and stop playing F2P games and also refuse to play B2P MMO's. These developers couldn't make a game today that could survive on a monthly sub for the simple reason they make shitty games, period! 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Zubeii said:
    There will be an Open Beta to try the game before you buy it. There will also be a trial account you can use a month or so after the game launches.

Also, I am getting tired of people putting all the blame on WHO on MJ. EA is not breathing down his neck this time.
    ^^This is something else us gamers see with new games still in development. People with newer accounts that tend to say things about the developers and how they can be trusted. I always look at these as a red flag. But then again I repeat this goes on in every new developing game. So in my book it already has the red flag up. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Very happy there is no F2P content available. You want to commit, then get behind the product. Otherwise, continue to wring your hands and agonize on the sidelines. 
  • TabmoweTabmowe Member UncommonPosts: 36
    thank god.

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    F2P should die.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OP got his title a little messed up.
    He is right not many people want to fork over money on a whim,so there should be a trial,not to be confused with free to play.
    I am good with anything 1-3 days,yes even 1 day is plenty enough to see what we need to see.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited April 2016
    YashaX said:
    So pay the sub for one month.  That's 30 days to try the game, if you don't like it cancel.  That's what people used to do before f2p came along.
    But it will cost a box price plus sub to play right? So it will be something like $60 (including one month sub) and then about $15/month thereafter?
    So what. Its still virtually nothing. Can't pay for it, get a job and save up. That's how we used to do it... you know back in the stone ages called the 80's when we were kids. It will teach you some valuable economic lessons you can use later in your life when you have to start paying for things like cars, your rent, and electricity. 
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Free to play has turned into pay to win I and MJ don't want anything to do with it. Endless cussing, gold selling, racist comments, ques from free loaders etc. The gamers and CU will be better off without them. 
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Of course there will be a way for people to "try" the game, hell all subscription games have always had a way. Presented either as a buddy key, or even free trials handed out over counters or on the web.

Free to play is relatively new in concept still (What, 6 years now?) While it has done some good to the genre in some ways, it's totally fucked it in others by bringing in more spammers, not just gold spammers but marketing as a whole. I'll stick to sub-based games and buy to play, less advertising thrown in my face and a more likely complete product.

The thrifty gamer is thrifty and that's fine. But it's still an industry, still a business in the macro. 
  • ZubeiiZubeii Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited April 2016
    Brenics said:
    Zubeii said:
    There will be an Open Beta to try the game before you buy it. There will also be a trial account you can use a month or so after the game launches.

Also, I am getting tired of people putting all the blame on WHO on MJ. EA is not breathing down his neck this time.
    ^^This is something else us gamers see with new games still in development. People with newer accounts that tend to say things about the developers and how they can be trusted. I always look at these as a red flag. But then again I repeat this goes on in every new developing game. So in my book it already has the red flag up. 
    My account was created in 2007... http://i.imgur.com/QqaBcSl.jpg

Read this if you want to blame someone for WAR - http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/ea-artist-soon-to-be-laid-off-burns-ea-management-2803
  • AnideinAnidein Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I remember there was a free to play forever part of warhammer online.  I don't know how successful that was for mythic, but I believe it did bring in some new players.
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I would prefer a monthly sub over F2P any day. F2P games have completely overloaded the market with nothing but crap.

I think MMOs should give a free 3 day pass to allow players to test out the game to see if they want to buy, but after that, as other stated, I would rather support a game I enjoy with a healthy monthly income so that they can continue to develop content rather than cash shop content.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    dreamer05 said:
    I would prefer a monthly sub over F2P any day. F2P games have completely overloaded the market with nothing but crap.

I think MMOs should give a free 3 day pass to allow players to test out the game to see if they want to buy, but after that, as other stated, I would rather support a game I enjoy with a healthy monthly income so that they can continue to develop content rather than cash shop content.
    Completely agree.  I always liked the passes blizzard would give their customers so they could give one to each of their friends so their friends could play for a couple days.  That always seemed like the most reasonable solution to me.

The sub is certainly one of the better ways to keep content going into the game regularly, IMO.  If CU could give passes or a couple day trials with possibly some restrictions on the account, like no chatting in broadcast or world/zone wide chat channels is always a good one imo.  This would allow folks to still be able to try the game before having to purchase it.  
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    It was stated from the beginning that his would be a sub game with no cash shop, ever.  It was also stated that this will be a niche game, they are not trying to deliver on 5 million subs, although i am sure they would welcome that.   If you are bothered by the sub and no f2p option, then you do not fall within the niche.
    Haroo!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So all those people who are anti B2P because its just a type of f2p must also be against the lifetime purchase option. Interesting. 

You have been told you lifers you are f2p scum!
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Right now there is no F2P game of this type in the market besides Warhammer (but they dont need to worry about competing with that one). They need money to make new content so they should make people pay.

Thumbs down.

Subscription is where its at.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• markus1902markus1902 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    There was never any confirmation of a sub price. So anybody who's against paying £9.99 ($14.99) a month doesn't really have any concern. Back in 2013/2014 MJ mentioned that he didn't want it to be that much. So you're probably going to be looking at a £4.99 ($9.99) sub a month, which is less than minimum wage.. more or less.

For anybody who has kids who (or maybe they have) play/played club penguin or something like that, that's the sort of content that people pay £4.99 ($9.99) for a month. You're going to get your money's worth here.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Moirae said:
    YashaX said:
    So pay the sub for one month.  That's 30 days to try the game, if you don't like it cancel.  That's what people used to do before f2p came along.
    But it will cost a box price plus sub to play right? So it will be something like $60 (including one month sub) and then about $15/month thereafter?
    So what. Its still virtually nothing. Can't pay for it, get a job and save up. That's how we used to do it... you know back in the stone ages called the 80's when we were kids. It will teach you some valuable economic lessons you can use later in your life when you have to start paying for things like cars, your rent, and electricity. 
    I was just clarifying how much it would actually cost to try it out for one month .....

And $60 upfront + $15/month is actually something, in fact its a substantial sum of money if you do anything besides play one game and have to pay all those bills you mention.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    uhhhh... I think you got a virus there capt.
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    gervaise1 said:
    So all those people who are anti B2P because its just a type of f2p must also be against the lifetime purchase option. Interesting. 

You have been told you lifers you are f2p scum!
    Lifetime Subs for this game work out to paying for 36 months worth at regular price and then $1/year after. So, guess who's not F2P scum after all...

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• TobimasterTobimaster Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Ledrir said:
    I have heard that there is no free to play option and I am a little concerned about this.  I realize that some people see this as a cover charge that keeps out the trouble makers.  Maybe that is true, however I wonder how many people will pay $15 without some way of trying the game out to see if they like it.

What if the free to play players were used in a way that strengthens the game?  I do not know what the max player limit for a server is but lets say its a little over 3000.  However, during some parts of the day the server will have less than 2000 players on it?  CSE could allow free to play players to log in to any server that has less than 2000 currently playing on it.  If the population goes over 2000 then no new free to play players can log on.  If the server goes over 2500 then the game forces free to players on over 3 hours to log out.

This would help in two ways.  It would give people a chance to try the game out for free to see if they like it.  It would also help to prop up populations on any server that is currently below its desired player size.

@Ledrir If they would to this free/premium model the free people would get the feel of being ranked down in the game and would hate premium users because of that. Also more players would not pay anymore and many servers will be low populated while the free users start hating CSE for not adding more servers.
  • ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I remember them saying that it might be lower than the usual 60 upfront, 15 a month. The game will certainly be extremely niche if it charges the premium price, so maybe there's some truth to that, unless they're satisfied with staying very small.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Robokapp said:

If they're very good they'll come.

/Agree

Honestly it's nearly 15$ to even get a decent pizza anymore, I think the lack of success of P2P games has more to do with the games than it does with the price.  
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Zubeii said:

Also, I am getting tired of people putting all the blame on WAR on MJ. EA is not breathing down his neck this time.
      LmFAO , breathing down his neck FFS , sympathizers are so bad ... EA gave him plenty of time and money to get the job done and still a year after launch he still couldnt deliver before he was erhmmm  relieved of his job ... He bit off more than he could chew ,Promised more than he could deliver, refused to listen to the community in CB1 and 2 ... Failed miserably and was dismissed , the team he left behind also still couldnt deliver on content and bug fixes 4 years later .... 

I seriously have doubts he delivers  all he is promoting with CU ( waiting to see classes etc  being dropped)

That being said , i do actually hope he can succeed , the vision  is great , BUTY we have seen that many times by many devs fall short ..

But props to them for not promoting the F2P
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Scorchien said:
    [...] That being said , i do actually hope he can succeed , the vision  is great , BUTY we have seen that many times by many devs fall short ..

But props to them for not promoting the F2P
    I have also seen many studios that failed to deliver on their promises or simply canceled the game. Frequently those games were crowdfunded projects. I think that the lack of funding and the inclination to rush the development to cash in more quickly were the 2 principal causes of the debacle.

In the case of CU however, from what I've understood they've got enough money (from the crowdfunding, the investor and Mark's own money) to continue the development for a long time and they're willing to take the time it takes and hire more developers to make a great game.

I'm pretty confident that they'll deliver on their promises and create a truly awesome game of very high quality, something we've not seen in a long time.