Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubisoft's The Division Player-Base Shrinks by 81% Since Launch

124»

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    The Risk / Reward was pretty silly at release.  And then The hacks really push it over the edge. The story is great to play and experience once.  But Not much longevity. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    This will be Overwatch in a few months, if not worse.  Since Overwatch is even more bare bones.

Since it's not f2p why should they care though?  They made their money.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    scorpex-x said:
    This will be Overwatch in a few months, if not worse.  Since Overwatch is even more bare bones.

In what way is The Division comparable to Overwatch, you might just as well compare it to League of Legends, and the conclusion would be just as ridiculous.
    Destiny, like The Division, suffered hugely in the beginning due to a severe lack of actual content in the game, it took time for Destiny to recover from this, if indeed it ever really did, which is why Ubi is now in a race to provide content, and if they want to retain any kind of playerbase it needs to be free content, because as soon as they try 'selling' the added content then the game is likely to tank even harder than it already is.
    Why you somehow equate The Division with an arena shooter game i have absolutely no idea, even Battleborn has more in common with Overwatch than The Division does.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    edited May 2016
    scorpex-x said:

fucking what. over watch is a casual & fun FPS akin to Team Fortress 2 which is among the most successful shooters out there. Are you seriously comparing The Division with Over watch? 
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Since I never touted The Division as a Destiny killer and I never heard any of my Division buddies call it a Destiny killer, I'm not sure who this thread is arguing with but it certainly isn't me. Yep. I stopped playing The Division. But I didn't go back to playing Destiny.

Final verdict however: The Division not only delivered my money's worth, but also provided me with some of my best times video-gaming, making new friends and having a hoot. For that, I am grateful and say well done Massive/Ubisoft! You deserve the dump trucks full of cash.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Scottgun said:
    Since I never touted The Division as a Destiny killer and I never heard any of my Division buddies call it a Destiny killer, I'm not sure who this thread is arguing with but it certainly isn't me. Yep. I stopped playing The Division. But I didn't go back to playing Destiny.

Final verdict however: The Division not only delivered my money's worth, but also provided me with some of my best times video-gaming, making new friends and having a hoot. For that, I am grateful and say well done Massive/Ubisoft! You deserve the dump trucks full of cash.

Going through the Level 1 to 30 experience is still definitely worth the Money.

It was an amazing experience and I definitely got my money's worth.

However, it's the post 30 experience where the entire game just falls apart. Plenty has been said about it, so I am not going to repeat it here.
    It's a shame really.....but at least I had a good ride to Level 30.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited August 2016
    scorpex-x said:

This, made on May 18, has to be the most spot on prediction in the history of gaming. =) =) =)
    JeroKane said:
    Scottgun said:

However, it's the post 30 experience where the entire game just falls apart. Plenty has been said about it, so I am not going to repeat it here.
    To be fair, I did enjoy the end-game content limited as it was. But I ran into the same problem I run into with all games that propose reasons to keep playing after you've beat the main story: the human on a gerbil wheel. Most games, The Division included, opt for the gratuitous grind for max gear reminding one of the joke,

"Why do you raid?"

"To get the best gear."

"Why do you need the best gear?"

"To raid with!"

Another option is to do the ladder/competitive thing. The Division (at least at first) thankfully had no interest in contributing to the insidious plague of e-sports.

Then there is the only end-game thing that really appeals to me: factional war and real realm vs. realm action that has a persistent effect on the game at large which I suspect is too technically daunting for The Division even if Ubi wanted to do it. EvE Online and Pirates of the Burning Sea are examples. But this of course has its own problems like multiboxing, metagaming, and in particular for PotBS, unbalanced factions. That is, a tiny handful of players willing to play the Spanish, an even smaller handful wanting to play the French, about a half a million people playing the English under the delusion that it was 1812 and they were Jack Aubry or Horatio Hornblower instead of the golden age of piracy, and of course 6.023x10^23 Jack Sparrow-wannabes playing pirates.

But like I said, The Division delivered my money's worth which is really a modest a reasonable expectation for any game and so when I hear talk of an upcoming title's end game, I'll be thinking, "Yeah, yeah...we'll see."
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I still believe that a properly feature-full MMO is the genre to beat when it comes to long-term earnings. Seriously, despite WoW's waning numbers... just think about its overall income. Think of UO, EQ, and more that are STILL making money with small bases. It's only a matter of time before something big hits the genre again. But whether people will have learned from the past and will try NOT to just ape the new hotness is up in the air.

As for Division? I expect its sequel will be far better due to learning from mistakes. Destiny too. That's another tack MMO-like games are taking. Put out sequels, as opposed to milking a game for a while.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Scottgun said:
    JeroKane said:
    Scottgun said:

To be fair, I did enjoy the end-game content limited as it was. But I ran into the same problem I run into with all games that propose reasons to keep playing after you've beat the main story: the human on a gerbil wheel. Most games, The Division included, opt for the gratuitous grind for max gear reminding one of the joke,

"Why do you raid?"

"To get the best gear."

"Why do you need the best gear?"

"To raid with!"

Another option is to do the ladder/competitive thing. The Division (at least at first) thankfully had no interest in contributing to the insidious plague of e-sports.

Then there is the only end-game thing that really appeals to me: factional war and real realm vs. realm action that has a persistent effect on the game at large which I suspect is too technically daunting for The Division even if Ubi wanted to do it. EvE Online and Pirates of the Burning Sea are examples. But this of course has its own problems like multiboxing, metagaming, and in particular for PotBS, unbalanced factions. That is, a tiny handful of players willing to play the Spanish, an even smaller handful wanting to play the French, about a half a million people playing the English under the delusion that it was 1812 and they were Jack Aubry or Horatio Hornblower instead of the golden age of piracy, and of course 6.023x10^23 Jack Sparrow-wannabes playing pirates.

But like I said, The Division delivered my money's worth which is really a modest a reasonable expectation for any game and so when I hear talk of an upcoming title's end game, I'll be thinking, "Yeah, yeah...we'll see."

Before the patch 1.1 hit the servers, the "Limited" endgame was actually fun!  Crafting was worthwhile, Deadzone (on PS4 at least) was fun.  There were roaming boss NPC's to hunt down in the PVE zones.

Then came the crapfest patch 1.1 and practically destroyed the post 30 game overnight! /shrug

And each follow patch made it worse.

As long, if they even make a sequel, is not made by this same crap studio... I'll give it a try.
    edited August 2016
    I think I would have still burned out on the end-game fairly quickly even if Ubi avoided bad patching decisions, but that's just me.
     (on PS4 at least) was fun. 
    Oh yeah, that's an important point. I'm an unapologetic console guy these days and The Division was an ambitious project for the PS4 and naturally I hope its success encourages more ambitious projects for it among all big-house game devs. PC will probably always be the master race, but I think that difference is becoming less and less significant with each generation and on the practical level, the devs who dream big for the console will have a market advantage over those that play it safe.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    There is a huge difference between failure and time to move on.  This game was a great success and now its just time to move on.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • TL_GamerTL_Gamer Member CommonPosts: 11
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    There is a huge difference between failure and time to move on.  This game was a great success and now its just time to move on.
    This game was never a success. You're confusing players abusing the exploits and cheating because they were allowed to do so, with people playing the game because it's good.

I got this game (Though UPLAY) Valve is too abusive and this game already has it's own DRM.

Anyway back to my point, I got this game for free (Promo Code for NVIDIA) and because the game was so bad (Lack of instructions) and the massive amount of cheating going on, even though my account reflects about an hour and a half, I only have a total of 10 min of actual playing time on it. The whole time was me wandering around trying to get instructions as to WTF I was supposed to even be doing.

Here is a video explaining a good chunk of the problems with this game:

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    TL_Gamer said:
    filmoret said:
    This game was never a success. You're confusing players abusing the exploits and cheating because they were allowed to do so, with people playing the game because it's good.

I got this game (Though UPLAY) Valve is too abusive and this game already has it's own DRM.

Anyway back to my point, I got this game for free (Promo Code for NVIDIA) and because the game was so bad (Lack of instructions) and the massive amount of cheating going on, even though my account reflects about an hour and a half, I only have a total of 10 min of actual playing time on it. The whole time was me wandering around trying to get instructions as to WTF I was supposed to even be doing.

Here is a video explaining a good chunk of the problems with this game:

Game sold 5 million copies in the first week.  Probably is sitting at over 20 million copies sold right now.  No that is not a failure by any means.  You are looking at it wrong.  Thinking the game should last you 10 years is just wrong.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:

Thinking the game should last you 10 years is just wrong.
    We've been agreeing so far, but permit a little friendly quibble here: nothing wrong with hoping that a game will still be worth playing in 10 years. It's a laudable thing. But you can't really expect it, predict it, and most of all, a company can't bank its financial future on it. World of Warcraft is like the Mule from Asimov's Foundation novels. A complete outlier in which lightning struck at just the right time in just the right place and irrevocably altered the landscape. But you can't bottle it.

But back to our program. Sure, The Division may have failed people personally. But by any other metric it was an absolute rip-roaring triumph that has got Ubi off the respirator. (I assume the the threatening hostile takeover of Ubi before The Division is all but a dead letter now, but I could be wrong.)

Edit: I looked it up and it looks like Vivendi is still gunning for Ubi. We'll see.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    Time to move on? so early? then whats the poing on wasting money on online only games if everyone, including the devs, are just going to move on?

If "moving on" will become the new thing then they better start making offline games with optional coop and LAN support again. Ubi was great doing coop/LAN with classic Ghost Recon so they cant make excuses about it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

filmoret said:
    Time to move on? so early? then whats the poing on wasting money on online only games if everyone, including the devs, are just going to move on?

If "moving on" will become the new thing then they better start making offline games with optional coop and LAN support again. Ubi was great doing coop/LAN with classic Ghost Recon so they cant make excuses about it.
    I think he means ether move on from the argument that the game wasn't a success which is a non-starter, or that he, like me, personally moved on. There is no indication that Ubi is pulling up stakes on this game. Heck, they have truly junk games that are still server supported.