Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG 2 in development

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    gervaise1 said:

"Keeping going" and being a focus are two different things. 
    EA do not run UO and DAoC; Broadsword do.
    EA do now own Broadsword; they are independent of EA.
    Broadsword includes several original Mythic folk who - amicably - parted ways with EA.

I wasn't aware of that TBH, still it wasn't me who declared EA is "still" running those titles :P..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I would love a new SWG.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

You do realize that EA is responsible for the travesty that Mythic became?
    DAoC subs declined pre-WoW. PvPers blamed SI for the decline but it brought in new PvE folk and MJ said in an interview that they were hoping to grow the game in the way that EQ worked. Numbers stayed up for sure but RvR was never the same. And later there was ToA. And for those who never experienced "artifacts" well they are coming to WoW. (Yuk). And talking of WoW that is when subs really tanked. 

MJ was very clear on why they sold the company to EA; it was sell or see the company die. MJ was later very clear when DAoC staff were cut - it was let them go or close DAoC; the implication of what he said was that the game was slated for closure but he persuaded EA to keep it open. And all the Mythic staff who were let go said that EA had been nothing but supportive.

So for not closing DAoC and for later giving it a chance under Broadsword. Blame WoW or blame the people who left the games but in this case its chapeau to EA imo. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Archlyte said:
    @Tiller ;
    EA has the online games rights to the IP until like 2025 I think
    There is another company that can make SW games though: Disney itself. As they didn't say anything about this in their recent financial report to investors they were either very remiss or ............. its all just a rumour.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    gervaise1 said:
    Archlyte said:
    @Tiller ;
    There is another company that can make SW games though: Disney itself. As they didn't say anything about this in their recent financial report to investors they were either very remiss or ............. its all just a rumour.
    Disney has been spinning down their in-house development capability lately. They cut 26% of their software in 2014, and just cut Infinity and the entire Avalanche branch very recently (another large chunk of what was left).

I don't know that Disney will do much else other than little mobile titles in house from here on out. Licensing such as they have with EA seems to be the way they are increasingly moving toward.
    gervaise1 said:
    Archlyte said:
    @Tiller ;
    True but disney just dumped their entire presence in the industry, opting only to license their properties, rather than create games based on them. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2016
    Keep in  mind Respawn is making one they have been very vague about it. I'm not sure if this is where the news is coming from but maybe.
    http://www.respawn.com/stig-blog/
    http://www.respawn.com/careers/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:
    The trouble with unsubstantiated rumours is, that tends to be all they are.
    If a development team really was working on a SWG 2, then there would be more credible sources rather than some oddball comment on a forum.
    Not true, this is precisely how news of TOR first surfaced. These types of rumors started popping up between 2005-2006... WHich just so happens to be the time the game started it's planning/development.

I'm not saying this is true (SWG2), still lack of official/credible sources, isn't a reason to write a rumor off outright.
    Yikes, if they are starting planning and development now. . with a 2017 / 18 release?   That might not be a good sign.  Sometimes rumors get out to test reaction.  I would look forward to seeing it developed even if it wasn't a game I would love.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:
    If a development team really was working on a SWG 2, then there would be more credible sources rather than some oddball comment on a forum.
    Not true, this is precisely how news of TOR first surfaced. These types of rumors started popping up between 2005-2006... WHich just so happens to be the time the game started it's planning/development.

I'm not saying this is true (SWG2), still lack of official/credible sources, isn't a reason to write a rumor off outright.
    Yikes, if they are starting planning and development now. . with a 2017 / 18 release?   That might not be a good sign.  Sometimes rumors get out to test reaction.  I would look forward to seeing it developed even if it wasn't a game I would love.
    Heh, I certainly hope they started before now :P. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Aethaeryn said:
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:

Last time they bought an unfinished engine and "winged it". What makes you think things would be different at EA?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited May 2016
    NorseGod said:
    Aethaeryn said:

Last time they bought an unfinished engine and "winged it". What makes you think things would be different at EA?
    EA didn't have anything to do with that , TOR was already well into development when they were bought by EA. I could see them trying to utilize Frostbite, although I have no idea if that engine could handle all that many players. 

Distopia said:
    NorseGod said:
    Aethaeryn said:

EA didn't have anything to do with that , TOR was already well into development when they were bought by EA. I could see them trying to utilize Frostbite, although I have no idea if that engine could handle all that many players. 
    This thread is full of excuses for EA. They are always associated with shit shows, but never to blame.

I think people can see that EA is a common denominator after all these years. They should just stick with sports games, since its the only thing keeping them from going SOE.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I am a big star wars fan and pre-ordered SWTOR even after playing the crappy beta.  I liked the story, but was very disappointed with the rest of the game.  Battlefront was a huge disappointment for me as well.  I did not like the beta, but I could not resist the urge to buy it anyways.  I had horrible hit detection problems and it was too frustrating for me to even play.  I do not know if they solved any of those problems or not I have not logged in forever....
    In my opinion EA would be stupid to try to make a SWG 2.  It would not be smart business.  The amount of time and money it would take to create anything good would not be worth it.  It would take at least 5-6 years to make and probably a 150 million dollar budget.  Gamers are much different now than they used to be and it would be a HUGE risk that people would keep playing.  At 150 million they would have to sell 2.5 million just to break even.  I think any company would be foolish to invest a lot of time and money into an MMORPG.  Look at Wildstar.  They spent a lot of time, money, created a pretty good game, but it failing badly.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    NorseGod said:
    This thread is full of excuses for EA. They are always associated with shit shows, but never to blame.

I think people can see that EA is a common denominator after all these years. They should just stick with sports games, since its the only thing keeping them from going SOE.
    Right.. you're just so incredibly original in your dislike of EA.  Damn MMORPG.com sheep.. always blindly defending the AAA developers!  Makes me sick..  Thankfully we have you here to expose EA for what they truly are!  Perhaps your work will put a stop to all those unbelievably high user scores on metacritic and the blind support in the youtube comments section!
    Jonnyp2 said:
    NorseGod said:

... unbelievably high user scores on metacritic and the blind support in the youtube comments section!
    Indeed.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=buy+facebook+likes
    NorseGod said:
    Distopia said:
    NorseGod said:

How is that a defense of EA?  It's a fact that TOR was already in development at that point. I had no intention of "defending" EA, lol

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    all rumors....... NO PROOF, don't waste my time!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• EpicValorEpicValor Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Where's the proof it's even a mmo?  If it is, I pray it's not the pre-cu skill system.  That was boring, tedious, slow, and impossible to balance.  People ended up using the same handful of builds that were most useful for whatever it was you were doing. BTW, running mission terminal crap is not my idea of fun.  The year 8 NGE is by far the best build of the game.
    Distopia said:
    NorseGod said:
    Distopia said:
    NorseGod said:

How is that a defense of EA?  It's a fact that TOR was already in development at that point. I had no intention of "defending" EA, lol
    lol

EA destroys everything that they attach their name to except sports console games.

lol

EA doesn't have any input or changes in direction, when they get involved.

lol
    NorseGod said:
    Distopia said:

lol

EA destroys everything that they attach their name to except sports console games.

lol

lol
    Point being?

EpicValor said:
    Where's the proof it's even a mmo?  If it is, I pray it's not the pre-cu skill system.  That was boring, tedious, slow, and impossible to balance.  People ended up using the same handful of builds that were most useful for whatever it was you were doing. BTW, running mission terminal crap is not my idea of fun.  The year 8 NGE is by far the best build of the game.
    Good news! You don't have to play.

And just so you have a clear understanding, anything other than a pre-CU system will fail. Most all people, when they talk about missing SWG, are not talking about NGE. I thought this was common knowledge.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Hey that's not very nice the bitter SWG vets still haven't moved on since SWG closed and here you are getting their hopes up!  Man I'm sure some of them finally were getting on with their lives six years later and you had to go ruin it. 
    Distopia said:
    NorseGod said:
    Distopia said:

lol

lol

lol
    Point being?
    Good.
  • EpicValorEpicValor Member UncommonPosts: 7
    NorseGod said:
    EpicValor said:

And just so you have a clear understanding, anything other than a pre-CU system will fail. Most all people, when they talk about missing SWG, are not talking about NGE. I thought this was common knowledge.
    Only because cry baby pre-cu people whined like children, and did everything they could to make anything sony did after to the game look bad.  Well before the CU came along, the game had already lost a ton of subs to WOW.  Those people who griped the most had already left the game, and whined just to be whine.  Most people who were left stuck with the game until the end, and actually got to see how much better game played, and how much more fun it was by year 8.
    EpicValor said:
    NorseGod said:
    EpicValor said:

Only because cry baby pre-cu people whined like children, and did everything they could to make anything sony did after to the game look bad.  Well before the CU came along, the game had already lost a ton of subs to WOW.  Those people who griped the most had already left the game, and whined just to be whine.  Most people who were left stuck with the game until the end, and actually got to see how much better game played, and how much more fun it was by year 8.
    I tend to practice not giving my money to liars.

Glad you liked NGE. You should have, it was made for a certain audience. 

However, those of us that were happy with the game, pre-CU, were mislead and lied to in regards to NGE and were already on the fence with the CU.

Of course, I don't need to give you a history lesson, because you were there. As were all the members on this site claims.

Still though, if the "bleeding" stopped at 200K subs, that's still more subs than what TOR has now and most all other games listed on this site.

But yeah, a lot of us had an investment in SWG. They kicked us to the curb and we repaid the favor, no problem.