Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Blizzard listen?

2»

Comments

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    To quote blizzard from when the questions was asked about legacy servers at Blizcon... "You think you want it but trust us you don't"
  • baddog66baddog66 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    no  plain and simple its all about damage control in the media nowadays sadly

GRIND DOES NOT EQUAL MAKING A GAME CHALLENGING!! YES I AM YELLING LOL

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    PB moaned at Blizz, Blizz altered game next expansion to suit, PB moans at Blizz so they alter it again next exp. then PB moans again so Blizz alter it once more .. PB then moan game is too easy and they want servers back that have game in it's release state

After moaning to get it changed from that lol

No matter what Blizz do, they will get moaned at.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Deddmeat said:
    PB moaned at Blizz, Blizz altered game next expansion to suit, PB moans at Blizz so they alter it again next exp. then PB moans again so Blizz alter it once more .. PB then moan game is too easy and they want servers back that have game in it's release state

Again Blizzard listens to the vocal minority not the majority of players.  That is because they listen to people who cry on the forum.  
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Kane72 said:
    I'm wondering if Blizzard listens to its fan base by reading forums and taking in feedback.

I see an overwhelming number of people (including me) complaining about a lack of content and about charging a sub in today's market, but they remain steadfast in their view of: pay sub, have a cash shop, pay full price for expacs and give you rare content patches.

Is it because people continue to pay and play that they don't care any more or do they actually care but don't show it very well?

ive never seen any of their publicity events or Blizcon online but assume that they don't hear or field any of the difficult questions?

i used to love WoW and Blizzard but see them as taking money and giving very little now. As a business owner, I'd hate my customers to think of me like that.
    Listening =/= obeying
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I loved wow.  Quit playing hardcore after Burning Crusade.  Hell, i think i had over a year "playtime" at that point already.  That being said, i didn't like the direction they were going but still came back for short stints after each expansion just to explore the content and do some raids.

I did not like it, so i quit paying my sub.  I was not mad.  I see a lot of critics on these forums moaning about how the most successful gaming company out there is...crap.  Makes me laugh really.  A good portion of the gaming community plays at least one of their games, and obviously enjoys them.  I am guilty myself for playing Diablo and Hearthstone also.

Bottom line is, you do not like WoW now.  Ok.  Who cares?  I can say also that yes, they took a wrong turn someplace.  For me it was after Burning Crusade.  For me.  It is still a GREAT game for a lot of folks.  I am happy for them.  You should be also.
    Haroo!
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Jaiml said:
    Kane72 said:

Is it because people continue to pay and play
    Yes

The vocal minority on the internet is what we see.  Blizzard sees the masses that continue to enjoy what they provide and pay for it.  That is the largest block of their customers and that is the block they serve.

Here at this forum and others you have a majority of the people agreeing with you, so it feels like the majority of the players. 

I have no doubt Blizzard tracks many metrics on their users and they know exactly what is producing the biggest return.  Their goal is to keep that block happy.  Not the ones that make noise on the forums.

They are a business and a very well run business based on their results.
    Pardon me, are you an active player ? If you are then by just observing the realms you would see how poor of a choice the word "masses" is. There is nothing massive about WoW right now in terms of population, at least not on the EU realms.

Of course they track a number of metrics and data. It's one of the main reasons they do not disclose sub numbers any more. I highly doubt that right now the EU realms have more than 300K active players. I base this on what i see on 2 of the most active and full, up to 6.2, servers. Defias Brotherhood and Stormscale.

As for the noise on the forums, again.. the EU forums are literally flooded with "noise" threads. The poorly done 6.2 followed by the 14 month (until Legion) content drought has pushed many silent players over the edge.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    DMKano said:
    They listen, as a business they also look at their metrics and business intelligence reports.

Listening to every individual voice doesn't mean the company should ACT on what they hear every time.

Does staff in a mental ward listen to their patients? Do they act on everything they hear?

While I like that Blizz uses metrics and tries not to listen to the vocal minority, it also has its flaws. Take garrisons for example, metrics showed that people spent a lot of time in there. However what metrics didnt show is that we spent a lot of time in there because it was an easy way to earn gold gear, etc. not because it was fun.

I do hope that they listen about legacy servers and do the proper research that will show them that it is a profitable move.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Zarriya said:
    DMKano said:
    They listen, as a business they also look at their metrics and business intelligence reports.

Listening to every individual voice doesn't mean the company should ACT on what they hear every time.

Does staff in a mental ward listen to their patients? Do they act on everything they hear?

While I like that Blizz uses metrics and tries not to listen to the vocal minority, it also has its flaws. Take garrisons for example, metrics showed that people spent a lot of time in there. However what metrics didnt show is that we spent a lot of time in there because it was an easy way to earn gold gear, etc. not because it was fun.

I do hope that they listen about legacy servers and do the proper research that will show them that it is a profitable move.
    It is also like Dungeons.  If you see a million people a month doing dungeons because of LFD and they are 15 minute affairs vs only 10,000 a month doing dungeons pre-WOTLK you will say that people liked dungeons less Pre-WOTLK.  The problem is you are not comparing the same thing.  so using Metrics like you are saying Zarriya are useless if not used properly.  

Kano,

The problem is Blizzard is looking at how many people play games like farmville then try to emulate that in WOW.  Look at MOP and how there was a farm and you had to take care of it daily.  It's stupid really because people that I know that play Farmville are not going to play WOW to play with the farm within WOW.  They are not looking at the right audience for their product. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    danwest58 said:
    Deddmeat said:

Again Blizzard listens to the vocal minority not the majority of players.  That is because they listen to people who cry on the forum.  

I'm not sure why you feel like Vanilla players are the majority? I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's no empirical evidence that shows that. Even that pirate servers only had 150k users. Not saying I'm in love with the current iteration (still on the fence about the next ex pack), but to believe that they blindly listen to forum-goers is insane! It's basically like saying "Well, Steve in accounting said he sent Blizz a flaming email and they responded back! THEN!!! The next expansion had the feature he suggested in it!!! Holy Christ!!! Steve is a freakin' genius!" 

No, sorry, do you believe that their data is that shallow? In an age when data is king, and we have immediate access to plenty of it, they probably have metrics that would pop that head right off your shoulders! It's always about business. Doesn't mean they don't listen, just means they don't care about the group that you seem to believe is the majority. (hint: that usually means it's not the majority)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    If you want to make a difference or be heard you have to participate on their forums. Danwest says that it is the minority that is driving the changes (about which he has absolutely no evidence but it fits into his idea that what he thinks is the majority view) but I ask you why should Blizzard listen to those people who have quit and no longer contribute anything to to Blizzard.

The people they will naturally cater to are those who continue to monopolize their product and contribute to the game while paying a subscription. Those of you who feel that Blizzard has forgotten you and are not listening to you have already left their game but still feel that Blizzard should listen to you ? Why should they because oh there is imaginary large player base just waiting in the wings for Blizzard to change their game and will come flocking back in droves. Don't see that scenario happening at all.

Most of the players who left left for good and those who left but still play are on the private servers. The people who think that their view is so important they are illegally playing the game. Yes this is the player base that Blizzard is suppose to be listening to instead of the loyal ones that play and pay to play WoW.  I sometimes think some of you live in some alternate reality where it is okay to steal and demand that the company from whom you steal from owes you something.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    danwest58 said:
    Deddmeat said:

No they don't.

A company as large as Blizzard looks at metrics, looks at their data. Whether a vocal minority or less vocal majority complain or please doesn't mean that what they are asking for is warranted.

The problem is that people just can't understand how their point of view isn't the "right" point of view. They see things not going "their way" and make their own conclusions.

I have no doubt that Blizzard sees things on the forums and if they seem like things they need to look into they will look at their data, do tests and verify whether or not any action is needed.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

wish I bought they're stock when I saw them go public 6 stock splits FFS trading at $35.00 a share lets do some math.

lets say im a dumb punk kid that has $500 bucks from working at a bowling alley. I buy in at $5.00 a share. that's 100 shares (forget taxes and fee's )

a stock split is when your 100 shares become 200 shares at $2.50 a share which still equates to $500. Its a good sign. it nods to investors that the company predicts the price will rise. its also a way to keep kids to be able to invest at $5.00 a share

6 splits is 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 shares after 6 splits. now lets take into account 5 dollars per share to 35 a share.

6,400 shares x $5 a share = 32,000 dollars lol

6,400 shares x $35 a share = $224,000 ....(cry's in a corner)

I know right.  If we could only time travel.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Sovrath said:
    danwest58 said:
    Deddmeat said:

No they don't.

A company as large as Blizzard looks at metrics, looks at their data. Whether a vocal minority or less vocal majority complain or please doesn't mean that what they are asking for is warranted.

The problem is that people just can't understand how their point of view isn't the "right" point of view. They see things not going "their way" and make their own conclusions.

I have no doubt that Blizzard sees things on the forums and if they seem like things they need to look into they will look at their data, do tests and verify whether or not any action is needed.
    If Blizzard listen to the metrics, why are so many players leavin? Blizzard must be doing something wrong?

I'll tell you my issue - monthly sub for no new content. Other games provide new content. It's why people leave and less come back for the new expac. If they want to retain subs, they need to put some damn effort in.