Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG 2 in development

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    EA huh? No thanks! I've stayed away from them for years, and will continue to do so. They're the Mc Donald's  of gaming . 
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    edited May 2016
    Distopia said:
    Why would they make another SW mmo to compete with their current SW mmo?  It makes no sense and I highly doubt this is even a rumor.  Unless by rumor you mean OP starting one.
    Who knows what plans are for TOR moving forward, maybe they feel 2018 or so is a good time for a follow up (different type of MMO design). With more of a current product focus (the new star wars timeline). These types of companies always tend to think along those lines. Especially EA, they're not exactly known for long term product support, they usually opt for yearly releases of a franchise. 
    You do realize that EA has been keeping Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot going for well over a decade, right? And that TOR is still one of the highest earning MMOs? They're not going to start a new game from scratch and franchise it, this isn't Madden.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited May 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised at all at a lot more mobile SW-based games. As much as I hate to see it.

This is olderish news, but pertinent
    http://www.ea.com/news/the-force-is-strong-with-respawn-entertainment?intcmp=EACom_SW_Announcement_latest_s2

http://www.respawn.com/

New 3rd person action adventure (ala Tomb Raider?) from the lead developers of Titanfall.

They mention some other developers in the article as well:
    Visceral Games (new action RPG? from lead producer of Uncharted),
    DICE (SW BF),
    Capital Games (SW GoH),
    BioWare (SWTOR, but currently really pushing ME:A, so I doubt they have another big title very far in development yet),
    Motive (working with Visceral?)

Not really anything pointing to a spirtual successor to SWG

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I am looking forward to being crushed by disappointment by BOTH The Star Wars franchise and video games ( my first two LOVES) yet again. Hopefully they come up with real solid game mechanics BEFORE they start coding and don't  blow the budget on voice overs that people may hear once.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Ridelynn said:
    I wouldn't be surprised at all at a lot more mobile SW-based games. As much as I hate to see it.

This is olderish news, but pertinent
    http://www.ea.com/news/the-force-is-strong-with-respawn-entertainment?intcmp=EACom_SW_Announcement_latest_s2

http://www.respawn.com/

New 3rd person action adventure (ala Tomb Raider?) from the lead developers of Titanfall.

They mention some other developers in the article as well:
    Visceral Games (new action RPG? from lead producer of Uncharted),
    DICE (SW BF),
    Capital Games (SW GoH),
    BioWare (SWTOR, but currently really pushing ME:A, so I doubt they have another big title very far in development yet),
    Motive (working with Visceral?)

Not really anything pointing to a spirtual successor to SWG

Actually, the Visceral game is said to be a 3rd-person open-world RPG. From what I've read it sounds a lot like a SWGish game, but probably won't be. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    We want! we want.  Rumor that it's coming.  Meh, sucks.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Why would they make another SW mmo to compete with their current SW mmo?  It makes no sense and I highly doubt this is even a rumor.  Unless by rumor you mean OP starting one.
    They could move their focus to the era that the movies are covering, which essentially is more merchandising saturation for Disney and can result in sales of E-products (real money store). They can sell ewok back packs or BB-8s or Rogue One Blasters. 

SWTOR may bring in its nut but it can't capitalize on the new movies because of the visual, story, and canon disconnect. To bring in new dollars they would have to do a game in the actual Star Wars setting
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    A new SW MMO based on new trilogy is inevitable. I've said it before. But highly doubtful it will be a SWG "sequel."  
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628
    That would be amazing if it were a true sequel
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited May 2016
    That never stopped Sony (EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, etc...).  Of course there is no more Sony.  But SOE didn't cave due to the amount of games they had on their roster.  At least I don't think so.

That said,  I wouldn't consider it making a competing game.  If EA gets your money from playing SWTOR or from "SWG 2", then they get your money.  If they feel there is a market for a more open ended Star Wars game that is based on the original trilogy (more popular), or even based off of the newer movies coming out over the next 5 - 10 years, unlike SWTOR, then you better believe they would probably do it.  All the game needs to do is turn a profit which is what EA knows how to do, regardless how much people dislike them.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

I imagine they will just use the name or something like it if they feel it would draw attention. Star Wars Galaxy, or Star Wars Galactic Adventures. I'm sure it wouldn't have any design features that would offend players in this age of MMORPGs, so I agree with achesoma and foomerang alike.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    gervaise1 said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Player base doesn't matter except in subscription games. For games like SW:BF, it's all about box sales and paid DLC - however much they can get in that first year, before they have the "next" game to release and perform the cycle all over again.

That's pretty much how all of those multiplayer FPSs have gone (COD, BF, etc) - get lots of box sales up front, push DLC hard in the first year, then crank out a new version a year or so later and do it all over again.

100% agree with your statement about Wall Street.
    14M sales and counting and mentioned in dispatches as a key driver in their recent good results - SW BF has done well. The game looks amazing and plays OK. And will get better. As Destiny did. As WoW did even.

As for the "rumour" - 2017-2018 would be quick; not impossible for late 2018 with a big enough team but. And EA's deal with Disney is time limited as well - could be renewed of course. .  
    The completely biased hate on large publishers like EA or Activision is definitely tired.  However Battlefront is not recovering.  Destiny has a highly addictive loot system which kept enough players playing through the initial lack of content, Battlefront lacks this.

SWBF is essentially Battlefield with a Star Wars skin... Battlefield games don't last more than a couple months.  Not sure why anyone expected anything different with Battlefront.  If EA wanted Battlefront to have long term appeal they would have pushed esports or made some type of pve loot grinding content. 

As for SWG 2.. it's not getting released while Swtor is still profitable, if ever.  If anything it will be some kind of crappy survival sandbox dayz clone, which would sadly make significantly more money than an actual swg mmo.  
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    "SWBF is essentially Battlefield with a Star Wars skin... Battlefield games don't last more than a couple months"

^^ lol what. clueless for sure.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    This can't be real. And if it is real, it's going to be a "reboot" in name only. Despite what the SWG vets will tell you about SWG, it was not a game that would be acceptable by today's standards, and was a complete mess. But it had some fun features that were never really tried again. I truly can't see a reboot even being possible, and being able to retain the vets as well as new players. 

So I'm pretty much gonna call bullshit on this.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SWG TWO, the cell phone game  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240
    There is about nill chance of someone producing anything remotely close to what many of us remember as the good version of SWG. Just leave the corpse alone.....
    Jonnyp2 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Ridelynn said:

As for SWG 2.. it's not getting released while Swtor is still profitable, if ever.  If anything it will be some kind of crappy survival sandbox dayz clone, which would sadly make significantly more money than an actual swg mmo.  
    If this were true car companies would just make one model of car. 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

Kyleran said:
    SWG TWO, the cell phone game  :p

Moichandising! Moichandising! Where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs: the T-shirt, Spaceballs: the Coloring Book etc etc...

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Jonnyp2 said:
    The completely biased hate on large publishers like EA or Activision is definitely tired.  However Battlefront is not recovering.  Destiny has a highly addictive loot system which kept enough players playing through the initial lack of content, Battlefront lacks this.

SWBF is essentially Battlefield with a Star Wars skin... Battlefield games don't last more than a couple months.  Not sure why anyone expected anything different with Battlefront.  If EA wanted Battlefront to have long term appeal they would have pushed esports or made some type of pve loot grinding content. 

Check the stats, Battlefield 4 and Hardline still have a ton of people playing. Not so much on the older systems, but on PS4, XO, and PC. At Noon on a Tuesday, BF4 has 104k players across all systems (40k on PS4) and Hardline has 22k. Battlefront has 35k players. So no, Battlefield games don't fade after "a couple of months."

But you're right about a SWG2 never being released. A modern Star Wars Galaxies would never have the kind of mass appeal that a big publisher like EA would want, less so today than back then as people have moved on and the market has become more saturated with choices. If you want that kind of gameplay today, you'll be stuck on indie MMOs with single digit staff counts and triple digit peak traffic.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Omali said:

You do realize that EA has been keeping Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot going for well over a decade, right? And that TOR is still one of the highest earning MMOs? They're not going to start a new game from scratch and franchise it, this isn't Madden.
    Actually these days EA only provide billing support to UO and DAoC. The games themselves are run by Broadsword which EA "gave away" to Rob Denton et. al. - maybe as some sort of severance package? 

As far as how profitable SWTOR is - hard to say; last year they said that f2p income would have been $60M higher but for declines in some titles primarily SimCity Online and SWTOR but what does that mean? 

I agree though that I cannot see EA starting another (traditional) mmo from scratch - and to be fair the OP actually says the rumour is of some other company not EA.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Tiller said:
    Welp a new unsubstantiated rumor about a reboot being in the works and we should hear info on this e3 this year or next. No info on who is developing it for now other than EA will have it's hand in publishing it. Shooting for 2017-18 before the end of the new trilogy. I can't tell you how I know....this message will self destruct in ......
    I apologize in advance for this sounding harsh, but I can't think of a polite way to state my point. Ok here we go...

FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!! First EA has a stranglehold on all the new SW games, which sucks ass, I'll explain why in a minute. Second EA isn't the license holder to SWG, Daybreak Games is. So there is no way they could be making a SWG sequel. And due to the aforementioned rights stranglehold Day Break can't be making one either. Also due to the massive disaster that was SW TOR's development cycle, and launch, I highly doubt they'd take a risk on another SW based MMORPG when they can make any number of other types of games, cheaper and faster, not to mention one's that will be far more profitable than the waning MMO.

Now EA does have more then one unannounced SW game in the pipe, that's the reason Disney gave them the exclusive license, because with their various game studios they can crap out bad SW games in assembly line fashion, much like Mr. Creosote after a dinner of bad oysters. Yes I said bad SW games. Let's get back to why I feel EA getting the exclusive SW game license is a bad thing for both gamers and the SW franchise. With the exception of KOTR, all other EA SW games have been pretty pathetic. SW TOR, thanks to Bioware going with the full voice acting interactive story device they had to shit can most of what SW fan players wanted, IE playing iconic SW races. Wookiees? Rhodians? Nope fuck that. Doesn't fit with our game plan so they can fuck right off. Battlefront, oh we at D.I.C.E. suck at making single player campaigns so no one played ours, so we don't think any of the multitude of Battlefront fans would want one. Just like no space battles or much else. Just another paint by numbers cover based shooter with a handful of pathetically small maps. Oh well they do offer a season pass for any new added content, which are a few more maps, and since they are already working on their next Battlefront game that's probably all your poor suckers are going to get.

So anyway, rant almost over, we will be seeing quite a few new SW games out of EA, I highly doubt any of them will be an MMO, I highly doubt any of them will be anything to write home about, and I sure as hell know there isn't going to be a SWG revival.

"Zip, Zip, Zip. No Santa Klaus. No Tooth Fairy. And no UNCLE MIKEY."

I will make one guarantee. I guarantee that whatever EA does "shit out" will be more of a spiritual successor to SWG than what DGB "shat out" as the spiritual successor to SWG. :awesome: 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Rumor or not, if EA is involved its already dead to me. Cash shops galore , rushed content, not to mention craptastic over-expensive expansions.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Omali said:
    Distopia said:
    Who knows what plans are for TOR moving forward, maybe they feel 2018 or so is a good time for a follow up (different type of MMO design). With more of a current product focus (the new star wars timeline). These types of companies always tend to think along those lines. Especially EA, they're not exactly known for long term product support, they usually opt for yearly releases of a franchise. 
    "Keeping going" and being a focus are two different things. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    No company could ever create a SWG2. The pedestal the fans have put it on is unobtainable.
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    EA could never do an SWG let alone a proper sandbox mmo. After battlefront I have very little faith in anything EA. Actually I have had little faith in EA since they butchered Westwood. :'(