Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics and mechanics vs Crowfall

2»

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Lokero said:
    Graphics matter , if both these games come out with current visuals itll hurt the initial hype IMO. People dont build beast rigs to play garbage looking games. 

Honestly you guys arguing which looks better , both look like hot garbage compared to Korean MMO's. 

Both games look like PS3/360 games. 

meddyck said:
    And how many of those Korean MMOs support 1000 player fights at good frame rates?
    @meddyck I'd say "...at good frame rates" is unnecessary addition. Any of these would crash and burn 1 000 miles before even getting close to this number =)

But even if that wasn't the case, I prefer CU/CF visuals to anything Korean, by far.
    And, as usual, there's the rub.  The consumer doesn't seem to grasp that kind of stuff.  They don't know about game engines and polygons and all that jazz.  All the base consumer knows is that the graphics and pictures look like something from 10-20 years ago, so it must be a low-budget, school-project type game.

Sadly, it most certainly will cost both of the aforementioned games a ton of players.

Of course, on the flip side, the Korean games draw in tons of players just because pretty graphics is what they are.  Granted, those people may not stick around when they find out how the gameplay in most of them is, but they always climb over each other to try them.

I think there are many players who would love the concept of massive open battlefield sieges with hundreds/thousands of players, but even more won't make it that far because of the graphics.
    I absolutely agree! Of course, when speaking of my preferences - I certainly don't have in mind CU visuals available on YouTube or in current tests, most of which comes straight from 2013 (the Kickstarter year) and, frankly, look HORRIBLE.

That being said, I don't think CU graphics will be inferior to, say BDO - unless one has cosmetics and character customization in mind. The only part I am worried about are animations, especially how smooth and intuitive the combat will be - the huge difference in budgets has to show somewhere I guess!?

I am very much aware of the importance of visual appeal (that includes sex appeal & violence, something CU is missing at the moment, but that's another long story) and I even tried to talk some CSE folks into considering to make a short video on max settings, couple sword swings or a fire blast i.e. quick "staged" combat sample or even maybe just a knight in shiny armor walking through, say, wood.

That one would aim to repair some damage CU took from all these "1999" videos and vines reaching reddits and other forums, without proper context and explanation (or even with direct mocking in titles). These things will, sadly, continue to happen and bleed money from the pledgemeter.

Even the video they have on the very front page of the site is, frankly, doing quite good job of scaring customers away. I am both puzzled and amused by it's existence on so important and visible place!?
     W...aaagh?
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    edited April 2016

I absolutely agree! Of course, when speaking of my preferences - I certainly don't have in mind CU visuals available on YouTube or in current tests, most of which comes straight from 2013 (the Kickstarter year) and, frankly, look HORRIBLE.

That being said, I don't think CU graphics will be inferior to, say BDO - unless one has cosmetics and character customization in mind. The only part I am worried about are animations, especially how smooth and intuitive the combat will be - the huge difference in budgets has to show somewhere I guess!?

I am very much aware of the importance of visual appeal (that includes sex appeal & violence, something CU is missing at the moment, but that's another long story) and I even tried to talk some CSE folks into considering to make a short video on max settings, couple sword swings or a fire blast i.e. quick "staged" combat sample or even maybe just a knight in shiny armor walking through, say, wood.

That one would aim to repair some damage CU took from all these "1999" videos and vines reaching reddits and other forums, without proper context and explanation (or even with direct mocking in titles). These things will, sadly, continue to happen and bleed money from the pledgemeter.

Even the video they have on the very front page of the site is, frankly, doing quite good job of scaring customers away. I am both puzzled and amused by it's existence on so important and visible place!?

All the videos and screenshots they have released already are at max settings.

They are kind of in a no win situation. If they didn't release screenshots and videos, then you would have a lot of people on this forum and elsewhere saying the game is vaporware. But when they do show screenshots and videos of what the game looks like right now in Alpha, then people complain about this or that thing that is a known issue they will have corrected by launch such as animations.

The point of the simple looking buildings in that screenshot posted earlier in the thread btw was to test how many buildings and blocks the server and client could handle in a small area (a whole lot). Backers have made much better looking buildings in CUBE that it shouldn't be hard for anybody who cares to find screenshots of.

I expect a much better video will replace the current one on the front page not long after Beta 1 starts in any case.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    meddyck said:
    Is there a figure being bandied around for CU's subscription price? I seem to remember them saying it would be below market average, any ideas?
    Nothing official yet other than the long ago (during KS?) comment from Mark you reference that it might be less than the typical $14.95/month.
    $7USD/mnth was the initial concept target, though last I read somewhere it was looking more like $9 (9.99?).  Who knows, but I do not expect more than 10/mnth for those paying (i.e. did not pledge a 'forever' tier).

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I think most of the issue here is preference, as it is with most things.  Personally, I am so tired of the cell shaded/cartoony games that I probably won't even try CF till 6 months after release.  The art style is old and tired and I find it funny when people try to argue that it looks better.  

In the end, CU is going for the realistic look, what a elf or human or whatever would look like if you walked up to them irl.  Where as CF is going the wow, wildstar route of cartoon characters, probably because it makes the entire project easier and quicker to build. 

It really comes down to what everyone likes personally.  I'm not worried about CU as graphics/animations are one of the things that will use place holder till a later time in development.  In terms of CF, I think it was a strategic decision based on when they want their game to release, so they went the proven route of cartoon characters knowing that few will have issue with it.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Cramit845 said:
    I think most of the issue here is preference, as it is with most things.  Personally, I am so tired of the cell shaded/cartoony games that I probably won't even try CF till 6 months after release.  The art style is old and tired and I find it funny when people try to argue that it looks better. 
    I'm not sure what you mean by "cartoony", but it's not something that I would apply to crowfall. Cartoony suggests an art style with caricatured features, like misproportioned facial features (large eyes, strangely shaped nose, over or undersized jaw/chin) and bodies (big hands/feet, overly broad shoulders) like you would find in WoW or a Disney movie.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35000000/Frozen-frozen-35007267-1063-770.jpg

Crowfall's art style has normal looking humans that could fit into GW2 or TERA with a high resolution texture. They've just chosen a more colorful look. The only thing I would say is anything close to cartoony is some of the hair and beard designs on unfinished models but that's subject to change.

http://gaming.elijaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Crowfall_Frostweaver_Gameplay.jpg
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I'll be playing both. However my biggest concern is not the graphics of either game but the combat system... I understand they'll both be taking the non tab target approach but how smooth will the action be? World of Warcraft in my opinion has had the smoothest combat system. I'll be really discouraged if the combat system is anywhere similar to Rift or Star Wars..