Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Blizzard has made a clone.

Comments

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Aalamr said:
    Not to start another debate but couldn't one argue that riot is cashing in off the popularity of the origonal Warcraft 3 Dota.

just saying, there are very few origonal ideas now.
    And DotA map came from Starcraft2 "Aeon of Strife" if I remember correctly...

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I didn't know that but there is my point. Origonal ideas are hard to come by now.
  • MangledBLMangledBL Member UncommonPosts: 20
    People can say whatever they want about Blizzard but one thing they can never say is that they don't make fun games... And TBH that's all I care that my GAMES be...
  • LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Sadly - WarCraft was a clone too lol - it's called Dune 2 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Shaigh said:
    This is what Blizzard has always done.  Take a solid idea and polish it up.

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Not sure what exact games would be the "inspiration" for the Warcraft/Starcraft or Diablo series, but I'm sure there were games that were very similar yet unpolished versions before them.
    Blizzard bought the studio that was developing Diablo, warcraft/starcraft is basically dune 2.
    Warcraft was inspired by Warhammer the tabletop strategy game. The gameplay I assume was taken from Dune like Shaigh said
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Any discussion of Blizzard's games always come down to Success is all that Matters. Blizzard seems to be able to produce games that attract people. This to the detriment of the competition in the market, and consequently innovation as Blizzard are just remaking existing games. That's the only thing I see in their products. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Archlyte said:
    Shaigh said:

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Not sure what exact games would be the "inspiration" for the Warcraft/Starcraft or Diablo series, but I'm sure there were games that were very similar yet unpolished versions before them.
    Blizzard bought the studio that was developing Diablo, warcraft/starcraft is basically dune 2.
    Warcraft was inspired by Warhammer the tabletop strategy game. The gameplay I assume was taken from Dune like Shaigh said
    They wanted to make it warhammer but they couldn't come to an agreement with Games Workshop.  Imagine if they did come to some agreement and world of warcraft was World of Warhammer instead.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I didn't play too much TF2, I don't think its a fun game other than prop hunt and I'd rather play CSGO for my shooter fix.  Overwatch however? I couldn't stop playing during the beta.  Blizzards strategy since day 1 has been to release titles that will financially destroy whatever competition exists in that particular genre.  It's brilliant to be honest, and I'd say their strategy worked out preeeeetty well so far.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    josko9 said:
    Blizzard isn't great at polishing or innovating in their games.
    However they are definitively great at dumbing their games down, and backing them up with hundreds of millions of marketing budget. And they are damn good with all the microtransaction practices.

Activision Blizzard is probably the greediest gaming company of all time. Yes even EA is rookie compared to them. 60€ for CoD every year, for what 10-20h of story content? WoW expansions every 2 years for 50-60€, and even paying 13€ per month in between them with no content added. HS is the most P2W game I've played in my entire life, if you don't spend 1000s of dollars on it, expect to be left waaay behind. And now Overwatch priced at 40-60$, which includes zero story content, just online matches, a game that should have been F2P in the first place.
    Translation: I can't afford to pay for these games, therefore the company making and / or publishing them is greedy. 

Nobody makes you buy CoD. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Obviously people are still perfectly willing to pay full price for the games, and Activision lowering the price just because... well, just because, would be an incredibly stupid move. 

$50-60 every two years isn't a big deal. You do have a point about the lack of content updates between expansions, so I'll cede that to you. However, if you're willing to wait a couple months after the expansion release date, Blizzard usually offers a pretty nice discount. 

You can do fine in HS for free. It'll take you longer than just paying outright, sure. But you don't have to pay for anything, and you certainly don't have to spend thousands of dollars. That claim is just absurd. 

Why should Overwatch have been free? Why? Because you want the game but don't want to / can't pay for it, I'm guessing. $40 isn't bad either for what you get at release, though the real value of the purchase price depends on the frequency and quality of new content. 

Honestly, you sound like a typical entitled millennial. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Hehe so many of these "hero shooters" have I played..

Paladins is this ....well it's flea market feeling. Kinda like Smite (My fave moba at this time) very....flimsy looking. It's also the single most broken game I've ever had the fortune to test.

Dirty Bomb: Have fun getting ganked by Azure card holders such of myself. You stand no chance with your filthy iron and bronze cards you may or may not get in a box that may or most likely not appear at the end of the match..

TF2: Are people still talking about this game?

Overwatch: Insanely fun, great art style and that Blizzard charm that Blizzard relies on.

That charm is why I play HoTS and Overwatch (Well will be playing...again...soon).

Not to mention there is something to be said about Blizzard games and their stability.

We all know all their games aren't going away soon .. They are like the well mannered but somewhat homely husband....and also rich.

Sure they may bug us, and yeah at times it makes the entire experience shallow...but atleast we'll have stability.

Blizzard and the Cockroach hold much in common and one of them is their ability to withstand the fires of nuclear rage.

HOTS taught Blizzard just exactly how hard it is to suck players from their beloved game.  Which is why noone has been able to suck people from WOW even though they have made vastly superior mmorpg's.  Overwatch might just be the game that draws the market out on this style because we don't have any clear winner right now.  If they can grab the players attentions and keep them for a year then this game won't be stopped by anything.  To me as a moba and fps player was quick to see just how easily I would get bored within a week of playing the same 5 characters over and over.  Lets face it  even in LOL or Dota2 you don't really play on a regular basis more then 10 champions.  I wouldn't expect anyone in Overwatch to play on a regular basis more then 5 characters.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    filmoret said:
    HOTS taught Blizzard just exactly how hard it is to suck players from their beloved game.  Which is why noone has been able to suck people from WOW even though they have made vastly superior mmorpg's.  Overwatch might just be the game that draws the market out on this style because we don't have any clear winner right now.  If they can grab the players attentions and keep them for a year then this game won't be stopped by anything.  To me as a moba and fps player was quick to see just how easily I would get bored within a week of playing the same 5 characters over and over.  Lets face it  even in LOL or Dota2 you don't really play on a regular basis more then 10 champions.  I wouldn't expect anyone in Overwatch to play on a regular basis more then 5 characters.
    I dont agree with you last statement about people using 5 characters in overwatch,  the other games i agree, but with the ability to switch characters during a match, and certain heroes being direct counters for other heroes, i see people switching it up a little more
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited May 2016
    Shaigh said:

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Warcraft/Starcraft was actually Warhammer series, Starcraft was a bit more nebulous, but drew from 40k for some primary elements (the zerg-tyrranid central plot and the psionic Khala stuff being a redesign of the warp). Gameplay was as other's pointed out a rip of the Dune RTS games.

Diablo drew dominantly from Angband and Moria, two roguelikes. There was a lot of random elements that had their own inspiration, but honestly it was one of the few largely unique ventures from Blizzard, being created by Brevik while he was at Blizz.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    edited May 2016
    It sure seems like a lot of people here have pretty bloody weak standards for what they consider a 'clone'. 
    It's not just this thread, it's pretty much most gaming forums. It's like they don't know the difference between things being in the same genre and an actual clone. 
    It's gotten to the point that when someone starts screaming "Clone", I tend to tune them out for being another pissed off fanboy for something or another. 
    Oh well.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The heavy rumor mill going around in the late 90's was that both Warcraft and Starcraft were supposed to be 40k games, but Games Workshop wanted tyrannical levels of control over the development and scope of the titles and so the deal fell through.

Imagine the kind of money that Games Workshop would be bathing in if they hadn't been the colossal pricks that they still remain to this very day.  Do I love the 40k and fantasy universe that they have created?  Yes, absolutely.  Does that mean I have to like the company? Hell no. Helllll no. The list of articles detailing how poorly they treat their retailers and employees could make for a compelling thread of its own.
    barasawa said:
    It sure seems like a lot of people here have pretty bloody weak standards for what they consider a 'clone'. 
    It's not just this thread, it's pretty much most of the gaming forums. It's like they don't know the difference between things being in the same genre and an actual clone. 
    It's gotten to the point that when someone starts screaming "Clone", I tend to tune them out for being another pissed off fanboy for something or another. 
    Oh well.
    I'd say that about sums it up. The part that amazes me the most is how some of these people take it so personally like a game being a "Clone" directly affects them some how.

Yea its not hard to see how people can think this game is directly related.  Lets see the offensive characters are the group on the left.  The defense in the middle and the support are on the right.  Guess that was a coincidence.  The guy with the big machine gun or the guy with the wrench and turret are just another coincidence.  So I guess the game on the top has a lot more characters but the game on the bottom has a lot more maps.  You can switch characters in the middle of the match.  I guess thats another coincidence.  They both resemble a fps with objective pvp maps and abilities to add flavor.  Just another coincidence.  Yet this is hardly a clone.  No nothing even close to each other.
    filmoret said:

Yea its not hard to see how people can think this game is directly related.  Lets see the offensive characters are the group on the left.  The defense in the middle and the support are on the right.  Guess that was a coincidence.  The guy with the big machine gun or the guy with the wrench and turret are just another coincidence.  So I guess the game on the top has a lot more characters but the game on the bottom has a lot more maps.  You can switch characters in the middle of the match.  I guess thats another coincidence.  They both resemble a fps with objective pvp maps and abilities to add flavor.  Just another coincidence.  Yet this is hardly a clone.  No nothing even close to each other.
    Holy shit! the character select is similar. No wonder I have been having a difficult time telling if I'm playing TF2 or OW. it is like they are identical in every way! /end sarcasm
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    It's what Blizzard does well.  Takes the idea of an existing game, makes it accessible and polished and releases.  

World of Warcraft wasn't original, but it was well done.  Same with many other Blizzard games.  They are sticking with what they do well. 
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    It's what Blizzard does well.  Takes the idea of an existing game, makes it accessible and polished and releases.  

World of Warcraft wasn't original, but it was well done.  Same with many other Blizzard games.  They are sticking with what they do well. 
    Agree but i do wish they would try something new atleast once in there games, every aspect ive found in there games has come from a previous source it seems. Just one original idea would be great from em :P
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I never understood about the "clone" thing.  Aren't all games clones of other games that came before them?  I mean WoW was a clone of Everquest, Everquest was a clone of Meridian 59, Meridian 59 was a clone of MUDs and Rogue, and it just keeps going back in time til you hit Pong.  Then Pong is a virtual clone of Ping Pong...and it keeps going back to the first time a caveman hit another caveman with a stick for a game...

There are no such things as clones.  You are supposed to take what has been done and innovate and build off of that...That's how things work.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    OMG guys - i just heard Nike made a clone of Adidas running shoes!
  • Lumiere123Lumiere123 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited May 2016
    And all MMORPGs are clone of Ultima Online. 
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Astropuyo said:
    Hehe so many of these "hero shooters" have I played..

Dirty Bomb: Have fun getting ganked by Azure card holders such of myself. You stand no chance with your filthy iron and bronze cards you may or may not get in a box that may or most likely not appear at the end of the match..

I'm sorry but I play Dirty Bomb (though not for about a month) and since when did having a Cobalt card increase your performance over someone with a Bronze card? Considering everything over bronze is just cosmetic.

OT

Blizzard have been taking ideas from other games for years, that doesn't mean to say that the games they make are bad. In fact it is the opposite, as Blizzard I have found usually take the ideas but then refine them and improve upon the original.

Been playing Blizzard games since Rock & Roll Racing on the Mega Drive and have always enjoyed the games they put out, the art style is usually spot on, the controls and UI are fluid, that in my opinion is where Blizzard excel and always have done.

I played the Overwatch open beta and thought it was quality as did most of my mates, so will be blasting it when it comes out.
    Dunno pretty much every game on the market these days has taken something from another game, with the amount of games that have been made it is pretty much impossible to create something original these days, if that means you can't enjoy them then I would imagine the pool from which to pick from is extremely limited.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I always try the newest MMORPG. And for some reason I always come back to WoW. Even I dont want. Im just looking for a good holy trinity, and aside from  graphics WoW gives alot for a casual player like me. Just login que and do some dungeons/raids and go to bed. I really didnt want to try overwatch but was bored with a burn out from BDO an tried it. Damn im gonna buy that game!  Also just login que and do some matches and go to bed. (love the mercy class)

I think most ppl think that way, they just wanna spent their few hours a day or less well, and login and que and have fun is the best way I think haha