Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Earnings Report - WildStar Ever Nearer The End

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Read the full story here

So it turns out that MMOs can still make a lot of money. Who’d have thought it? After the release of the NCSoft Earnings Report for the first quarter of 2016, it seems they’re in good shape. Unless your part of the WildStar development team or playerbase, things are looking particularly rosey. Sales are up by around 30% from the year before, with profits having jumped 70% on the previous period. That’s a sizeable improvement and one NCSoft’s shareholders are likely very pleased about. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    This makes me sad because I was always a big fan of the game. The combat and world were always so fascinating to me. The journals and stories breathed life into the world. Not to mention the combat mechanics that really made the game feel reactive and interesting. I hope it finds life in steam...although I'm not too confident either. The games got a great community and I would be sad to see them disappointed. Unfortunately I jumped ship recently because I don't wanna waste my time if it's sinking. But I am greatly tempted to return!
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Undefined comment....
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

Sukiyaki said:

Oh look the quarterly biased doom and gloom spin articles about NCSoft games whether they go up, stay stable or go down. Even keeping up the sales at a highpoint and remaining one of the top selling MMOs can be somehow spun into a concerning dissapointment because "no one bragged about it". But its okay this article is about WS! You can't argue stabs from the side thrown inbetween the lines and must stay "on topic" about "smeared reputation", "concern", "dissapointment", "survival" and other opinionated bullshit, with an analysis of the earnings report for the game as the title misleads to suggest nowhere to be found.

Meanwhile not even one article on PAYADS2WIN.com mentions Blizzard started to completely hide their tanking WoW sales numbers, leave alone an essay condemning the game to doom.

Why am I not surprised anymore.

Did you actually read the article or just skim it and make some bias assumptions... all I gather from your comments is you have a hatred for Blizzard and must be a sour GW2 or WS fan.

Considering how poor the GW2 expansion was received (I thought it was disappointing too) - I'm actually surprised it did as well as it did. BnS (which I have been playing but taking a break as of late) did really well but they have already resorted to massive amounts of RNG boxes to push sales for the current quarter, probably due to a drop in active players with all the bot/hacker issues. WS is in dire straights because they simply can never seem to get anything right... hopefully the Steam release "saves" the game for the diehards but most players have (understandably) moved on.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I always laugh when someone talks about WoW sub numbers...They do realize that any game company would kill to have WoW's current sub numbers whatever they are? WoW's subs at it's lowest are still better than almost every MMO (if not every MMO) at their best lol.

Now onto the article. I personally thought Wildstar was a fun game, for awhile, but it began to become very repetitious. It's only saving grace for me was the humor. That's just not enough to keep people to stick around though :(
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    WildStar is just a title waiting to be canceled since it's not a Korean in-house NC production. Aside from Guild Wars, every other title that's not been KR produced has been canceled the moment numbers are declining (CoX & TR to name the best ones canceled).
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    >Where Guild Wars 2 is concerned, I think the result is somewhat surprising

How? Paid expansions are always a revenue bump for the quarter they launch in, followed by a revenue decline as box sales slow and it returns to relying on the sub/cash shop (the latter in this case) as its primary source of revenue. This is like, the most expected of behaviors.

>but one that that simply launched too early

If I ever see this argument again on a major game...This is the most overused, cop-out argument ever. The game was launched when Carbine felt it was ready, not when NCsoft forced them to push it out. GW2 saw more delays than I can remember because NCsoft gives their Western devs a ton of leeway. But seriously, seeing this critique on why the vast majority of MMO's stumble right out of the gate is stupid and tiresome.

>Carbine made some mistakes, notably the “hardcore” marketing barrage, while itemization was particularly poor.

Yes, this. The games struggles were mostly tied to terrible development decisions and the devs not listening to playtesting feedback that was critical. Terrible marketing on the part of Carbine/NCsoft and devs that really should have kept their mouths shut so they didn't stick their feet in there so often didn't help in the slightest either.

>As a Free to Play game there’s still a wealth of amazing content there and I’m glad I had the opportunity to play it.

Same, but at the same time their F2P transition, while fantastic for us free players, was terrible for the potential growth of the game. It was /too/ free. There weren't enough "pain points" to drive people to the cash shop, nor was there enough in the cash shop to sell at its transition. Between that and basically handing out omnibits to free players and keeping omnibit prices on cash shop outfits/etc. super low.

It's sad to see WS fading away like this, because it's a solid game overall and there's a lot to love, but Carbine has pretty much screwed up at every opportunity to turn things around/not screw up : /
  • bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Wildstar is an amazing game, their lack of response to group finder and raid issues is what killed the game. Here we are almost 2 years since launch and they haven't even launched a new raid....... Those need to be coming out quarterly or at least every six months. The expanded the wrong kind of content while trying to battle this hardcore myth. People don't want it anymore. The combat and healing in this game is probably the best I have ever enjoyed in an MMo setting. Some of the content is incredibly overtuned. I resubscribed before the launch to free to play but I stopped playing months ago even though i have a paid sub through November. This is one studio that could just never pull together, and then fired all the people that made the game amazing. David Bass, Stephen Frost, Tony Rey, and countless others.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited May 2016
    " I’ve had my monies worth out of it and thoroughly enjoyed my time. I cleared its raids, capped (two) characters and unlocked the best PvP armor, legitimately, before they reworked it. As a Free to Play game there’s still a wealth of amazing content there and I’m glad I had the opportunity to play it."

-so much on point here. hoping Wildstar sticks around in f2p its a very good mmo. would love to someday hear what "Frost' has to say what REALLY went on while he was there at carbine= he was the face in the videos of wildstar passionately talking about the classes and the game.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited May 2016

Gravarg said:

I always laugh when someone talks about WoW sub numbers...They do realize that any game company would kill to have WoW's current sub numbers whatever they are? WoW's subs at it's lowest are still better than almost every MMO (if not every MMO) at their best lol.

Now onto the article. I personally thought Wildstar was a fun game, for awhile, but it began to become very repetitious. It's only saving grace for me was the humor. That's just not enough to keep people to stick around though :(

Just remember even in the wow community people that are so pro wow. Still called wow is dying even still being the top sub mmo. Unless Blizzard open them a vanilla server thinking that would bring people back from a new mmo back to a old mmo to replay the same thing over again. Back on Wildstar it still haves a long battle ahead of it self.
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    You're*
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Absolutely loved the game at launch.....got my annual subscription refunded through customer service 3 months later. Why? Because many, many, MANY times before launch the game touted as going to have monthly content updates to substantiate the monthly subscription cost. I honestly wouldn't have cared if they were every 2 months; but that canceling of the holiday content for the first year took the cake as killing the game's fun for me.

MMOs are supposed to be digital living worlds. That said, they have events in them that change with the season (even if they're the same as last year's of the same time). Players need those things to make the world feel less static. And to charge money monthly while not having provided them makes a consumer just walk off to one of the many options out there that does provide them. Look at GW2 as a prime example of doing it right, launching late August 2012 to then have Halloween barely 2 months later. No reason why they couldn't put that to whiteboard and then program for Wildstar sometime during it's 5+ year development. There needs to be developmental foresight on what a living, breathing MMO world should have and events needs to be on that list in the top 3 things.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited May 2016
    I think you might also ad that the game didn't really run smooth on pretty high end computers. Especially taking the graphic in consideration there was no excuse why it ran so bad. Now I must admit that I do not know if this has been fixed but it was a dealbreaker for me, amongst a couple more annoyances like the horrible crafting and clusterfluck UI.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    WildStar Online will be switching from NCoins to Protobucks on May 18th, 2016. So, some people are wondering if Carbine Studios will be leaving NCSoft soon. Cause why they change, why not stay with NCoins?
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited May 2016

WildStar Online will be switching from NCoins to Protobucks on May 18th, 2016. So, some people are wondering if Carbine Studios will be leaving NCSoft soon. Cause why they change, why not stay with NCoins?

not one to speculate- but if that was the issue these guys would not be leaving carbine, rumor is that the name change was due to blade n soul also using ncoins name.

really hoping wildstar stays around- id like to revisit this game again- but now a lead writer has also left.. maybe they can stay independent.
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Because Valve takes a 30% cut of all sales through Steam, so NCsoft would be losing 30% on their currency that's usable across all their first party games as well. That's likely why Aion/L2 got pulled from Steam, because folks were buying NCoin there but using it for B&S.

This way, all purchases of cash shop currency through Steam will work only for the specific game(s) released through Steam, not NCsofts entirely library (minus GW2).
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I'd hope they would stick around. what would be the point of Steam integration? Would they not lose money doing that?
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    it's really too bad wildstar was made in a stupid cartoony space cowboy meet squirrel people shit art style and universe. It was doomed at its inception due to such a terrible choice in art style, and theme. The game itself was really quit good if you could get off being a squirrel shooting laser pistols and yelping round em up partner.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    While I never played Wildstar, nor was ever interested to. Due to it seeming too much like an obvious WoW Clone, I've been tired of tab target combat for years, and the graphics/art style doesn't appeal to me. Yet, I've known a lot of people who tried it and left after only a few months or less. Most of the complaints link to a horrible launch that almost seems impossible to recover from. It reminds me of AoC, which really was/is a great game, but launched horribly and too soon to ever recover.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Most of these comments are just people bitching at one or two people for their opinion.

It's like why read the article when you can scroll to the comments to watch the ... I don't know. I want to say bullying but it's more like team ups.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Agreed @Torval
    It does seem like with the coin switch and the Steam launch and the exit of key developers the game is ripe for a sell. I would imagine, in the right hands, the game could generate a fairly modest revenue stream.

Maybe Perfect World will pick it up for a bargain price. With their Cash Shop skillz, I'm sure they can turn a profit on any game, lol
  • valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    For me one of the biggest entry walls are the PC requriments, Most ppl i know just play on standart PCs with 32 bit OS 2-4 GB RAM. Wilstar need for RAM 8-16 GB or more and 64 Bit sys is a big wall for casuals with no gaming PCs, standart laptops or noteboks (very used in KR). I can run every other metioned games on my PC, even with high settings (Aion) but i cant even open Wildstar? O.o lol
  • vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    What killed my enthusiasm for Wildstar was the endless barrage of quests. It was too much. I stopped trying to read them once my friend started playing because he was getting impatient with me.

It actually forced me to take a second to think about the time I was wasting on reading text for a quest that would be over in a few minutes. After that, quest text became meaningless to me.
  • residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    An opportunity to do dust off the City of Heroes IP now? They closed COH for this junk...
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    edited May 2016

mmrv said:

it's really too bad wildstar was made in a stupid cartoony space cowboy meet squirrel people shit art style and universe. It was doomed at its inception due to such a terrible choice in art style, and theme. The game itself was really quit good if you could get off being a squirrel shooting laser pistols and yelping round em up partner.

Actually IMHO this is what Wildstar's problem was from the start, too many were turned off by it's graphics.