Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Blizzard has made a clone.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited September 2016 in Overwatch
For years we heard the term WOW clone.  Upon looking for a new fps to play I have found that there are several games already released that are just like Overwatch.  We all know Team Fortress 2 so what is out there that we do not know?   Dirty Bomb launched June 1, 2015.  OGplanet coming this year.  Lawbreakers also coming out this year.  This is just from one search on f2p fps games.  There is no telling what exists that was b2p.  But yea Overwatch is a TF2 clone even the login screen is clone and well Blizzard has cloned something and players love them for it.  Once again.

New information is out that Blizzard in fact copied stuff from Paladins as well.

13lakePosts: 561MemberUncommon
8:49AMedited 8:55AM
Post edited by 13lake at 8:55AM
Are you onto something or just on something?
Post edited by filmoret on

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    This is what Blizzard has always done.  Take a solid idea and polish it up.

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Not sure what exact games would be the "inspiration" for the Warcraft/Starcraft or Diablo series, but I'm sure there were games that were very similar yet unpolished versions before them.

Anyway, you can't fault players for wanting to play polished versions of games with solid ideas.

This has always been the problem with Blizzard- they don't innovate, so their wild success is bad for innovation in gaming, especially when companies try to copy their copies of games- we end up with a crapload of soulless games.

At the same time, it's Blizzard's strength.  They can just about say they've never made a bad game, which would have been impossible if they were coming up with new and original ideas (some are bound to fail).

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    But why does it matter? They took a game and made it in my opinion better in almost every way. TF2 was ruined by valve when it went F2P and introduced sets of armor that did things to your characters, and insane amount of weapons. You say once again, like they cloned every game they made. As far as I know Diablo wasn't really a clone, it was just an ARPG that was fun and easy to play. That's kind of how most of their games are. Easy versions of things in each genre, that are polished insanely well, and play really fluid. This is their first FPS and they have done it super well, Blizzard is just really good at making fun to play games. Who cares if it's a clone or not. Everything is a clone at this point, unless you get artsy like The Witness.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    How dare they make a good game. The nerve of these "Blizzard" people.
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Doesn't feel like TF2 to me. Similarities sure. But a clone?  I don't really see it matters. Overwatch is fun!
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    If I had a dime for every new Overwatch is a TF2 clone thread I would be a very rich man. Instead of starting a new thread why don't people just post their opinions on one of the 1000 threads floating around the forums.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Not sure what exact games would be the "inspiration" for the Warcraft/Starcraft or Diablo series, but I'm sure there were games that were very similar yet unpolished versions before them.
    Blizzard bought the studio that was developing Diablo, warcraft/starcraft is basically dune 2.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Blizzard isn't great at polishing or innovating in their games.
    However they are definitively great at dumbing their games down, and backing them up with hundreds of millions of marketing budget. And they are damn good with all the microtransaction practices.

Activision Blizzard is probably the greediest gaming company of all time. Yes even EA is rookie compared to them. 60€ for CoD every year, for what 10-20h of story content? WoW expansions every 2 years for 50-60€, and even paying 13€ per month in between them with no content added. HS is the most P2W game I've played in my entire life, if you don't spend 1000s of dollars on it, expect to be left waaay behind. And now Overwatch priced at 40-60$, which includes zero story content, just online matches, a game that should have been F2P in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Saying Blizzard isn't good at polishing in their games pretty much shows you've gone off the deep end in your Blizzard hate.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    josko9 said:
    Blizzard isn't great at polishing or innovating in their games.
    However they are definitively great at dumbing their games down, and backing them up with hundreds of millions of marketing budget. And they are damn good with all the microtransaction practices.

Activision Blizzard is probably the greediest gaming company of all time. Yes even EA is rookie compared to them. 60€ for CoD every year, for what 10-20h of story content? WoW expansions every 2 years for 50-60€, and even paying 13€ per month in between them with no content added. HS is the most P2W game I've played in my entire life, if you don't spend 1000s of dollars on it, expect to be left waaay behind. And now Overwatch priced at 40-60$, which includes zero story content, just online matches, a game that should have been F2P in the first place.
    Innovation.  No.

Polish.  Definitely.

The term "Blizzard polish" carries weight because of this.

Take a look at MTG online and Hearthstone.  Tell me which one is polished.

As for the rest of your rant, it's mostly wrong.  Also I prefer Overwatch being $40 and getting all the heroes and access to all future maps included rather than being nickled and dimed every time they release a new hero (not to mention that incentivizes them to make them OP on release- look at HotS for how that turns out).
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    spikers14 said:
    How dare they make a good game. The nerve of these "Blizzard" people.

OP has issues.  hahaha
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Blizzard has generally made clones of games, just made them way better and much more polished.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    edited May 2016
    They take whats good in games and mash them all together. OW is the best of it s genre in a long long long time. Sorry BB fans, I own both, well not BB anymore as I got a refund. OW is simply a good game , clone or not.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I just find it odd that suddenly there's like 10 of these types of games all coming out at the same time.  Makes me wonder who decided it was a good idea and how they basically copied each other without getting in trouble.  Its like they get together playing poker and talk about gaming ideas then take them to their separate studios and make the same game.
    Aalamr said:
    If I had a dime for every new Overwatch is a TF2 clone thread I would be a very rich man. Instead of starting a new thread why don't people just post their opinions on one of the 1000 threads floating around the forums.
    I see one thread from November...  You want cash or check?
    Look harder. I've posted on multiple other overwatch threads stating the same thing.
    Aori said:
    They don't play the same at all. To me they're completely different beasts. 
    I completely agree.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I believe there was a Dune RTS that really broke open the genre. Just confirmed it. Dune was 92, Warcraft was 94. Not sure about Diablo.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Shaigh said:

EQ->WoW
    MTG->Hearthstone
    DOTA/LOL->HOTS
    TF2->Overwatch

Blizzard bought the studio that was developing Diablo, warcraft/starcraft is basically dune 2.
    So is C&C and Red Alert. 
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    @filmoret ;

Nope. Blizzard is straight up multiplayer only shooter with hero classes. Battleborn and others are much more moba like. And thats why they fail - because they compete with Dota 2, Smite and LoL. 
    aliven said:
    @filmoret ;

Nope. Blizzard is straight up multiplayer only shooter with hero classes. Battleborn and others are much more moba like. And thats why they fail - because they compete with Dota 2, Smite and LoL. 
    It is because they do well in advertising and they are Blizzard.  Other then that its an average game nothing special.  I'm checking out this Dirty Bomb game now to see whats up.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its not the first time blizz has done this. But you have to hand it to them. They do it very well and no one complains about it but a very few. Don't want to piss off the fans.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    filmoret said:
    I just find it odd that suddenly there's like 10 of these types of games all coming out at the same time.  Makes me wonder who decided it was a good idea and how they basically copied each other without getting in trouble.  Its like they get together playing poker and talk about gaming ideas then take them to their separate studios and make the same game.
    The movie industry works the same way. One game/movie is popular, everyone else tries to cash in. In this case it's Riot games LoL. I don't think Overwatch is actually in that category, I think Battleborn, Gigantic, Paladins and Paragon are though.
    edited May 2016
    Not to start another debate but couldn't one argue that riot is cashing in off the popularity of the origonal Warcraft 3 Dota.

just saying, there are very few origonal ideas now.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Blizzard was very innovative in their early years, much like BioWare.  They pretty much created the RTS genre with Warcraft and Starcraft, then they pretty much created the Hack & Slash ARPG genre with Diablo.

After they reaped the incredible rewards of these titles, however, they started to take a much more measured and reliable stance towards gaming.  This stance is based around looking at the types of games that people enjoy, taking that new genre and then giving it the kind of polish that only a company with billions in profits can do.

Look at the online card game market.  It was there, but it was dead and boring before Hearthstone came long. Magic the Gathering, with billions in profit from their physical card sales, should have been all over this scene and controlling it from the beginning.  Instead they created several lackluster games that didn't perform very well.

So yeah, they are taking the genre's that people are interested in and making games based around them now rather than trying to break new ground.  That being said, they're not cloning anything.  Overwatch doesn't look, feel or play like any other "hero shooter" out there.  It's a complete standalone entry into this genre much like GW2 isn't even remotely a clone of WoW.  Same genre, completely different gameplay.