Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does this site sell its users email addresses?

grinmaulgrinmaul Member UncommonPosts: 1
I just got a scam email at an email address that was used solely to sign up to mmorpg.com i know this because i added a +mmorpg into the email at signup. and today i just got a phishing attempt at "[email protected]"

there is zero chance this email was every used anywhere but here.

so how did they get the address?

Comments

• MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Was thinking the same! Email I use is only here and another site and my spam has been going crazy right after sign-up. But to be fair it could be something getting through the ads on this site. Normally you always get stuff from the ads, also it is hard for sites to catch every bad ad they put up.
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I have not received such an email.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I have before on a few occasions.

Either they sell the email addresses, or they have been hacked a few times.

neither is a good thing
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    No, absolutely not - we have never sold email addresses.  The only time we have ever shared them was when we did sweepstakes events and had a checkbox asking "do you want to share your email with the sponsor"

That being said, a few years back we did have hackers in our system and we assume they harvested emails.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.