Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria - Still Wavering?

lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
edited May 2016 in Chronicles of Elyria
Still not decided one way or the other? Wondering why Chronicles of Elyria has been number 1 on the hype-o-meter for so long? Take a look at a new article http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/lunawisp/052016/29308
lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
Post edited by lunawisp on

Comments

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited May 2016
    The link doesn't seem to work on my end.

edit: ok there was a ":" missing. http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/lunawisp/052016/29308
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Yep, sorry. I obviously failed to test that one. Must have been tired...or something! Fixed now, pointed it back to the article here on mmorpg.com
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Tbh, threads like these create more negative than positive attitude towards the game
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited May 2016
    Honestly, I feel less convinced every time I read something about CoE. I do hope they find a way to make something worthwhile out of their bag of vague and lofty ideas, but that article only made those ideas seem less realistic and obtainable.

The whole, you could be the best blacksmith or the greatest sorceror, or the king is not practical gameplay for an mmorpg. The concept of finite resources in a persistent world is problematic as well. These are total whiteboard ideas that only seem more unlikely each time I hear about them.

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Dullahan said:
    Honestly, I feel less convinced every time I read something about CoE. I do hope they find a way to make something worthwhile out of their bag of vague and lofty ideas, but that article only made those ideas seem less realistic and obtainable.

The whole, you could be the best blacksmith or the greatest sorceror, or the king is not practical gameplay for an mmorpg. The concept of finite resources in a persistent world is problematic as well. These are total whiteboard ideas that only seem more unlikely each time I hear about them.

The difference being is that they already have working portions of the game. They came prepared to actually get their kickstarter off the ground. I believe they released an in game combat demonstration at PAX, and they said they had cut out features of the game that would drive their budget past the 900k/delay the game launch.

Seems to me that this company actually has their ducks in a row to deliver a game that closely resembles what they proclaim they want to make.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited May 2016
    All this game is, is a bunch of kids with huge imaginations with no idea how to implement such nor any idea if these ideas will work in a MMORPG.  It is great to imagine such a game, extremely hard to create it.  The hype is what it is, now let's wait and see what actually gets created from it.  I will bet that the game will look a lot different that all these whimsical stories they tell.
    edited May 2016
    Amazes me how many people spend so much time posting in threads for games they confess they have zero interest in.

If you like the sound of the game and want to support the team developing it, do so.
    If you don't think it'll work out, then...you know...don't support it...simples.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    lunawisp said:
    Amazes me how many people spend so much time posting in threads for games they confess they have zero interest in.

If you like the sound of the game and want to support the team developing it, do so.
    If you don't think it'll work out, then...you know...don't support it...simples.
    Dunno I may as well ask you why you keep making threads looking for more supporters.

You are allowed to look for more supporters and we are allowed to state why we will not support it.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    lunawisp said:

Dunno I may as well ask you why you keep making threads looking for more supporters.

You are allowed to look for more supporters and we are allowed to state why we will not support it.
    Silly me. I thought this particular section of the site was for discussions of Chronicles of Elyria. I'm making these posts and the occasional blog because it's obvious from other posts and questions on other sites that there are a lot of people who still don't fully understand the mechanics of the game and are not sure if they want to support it or not. I'm doing my best to explain how it works...as well as I can, anyway. Lacking telepathy, these forums are one of the very few means that exist to impart such information.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited May 2016
    Rhoklaw said:
    Not to mention Soulbound Studios is rewarding it's community members for helping to promote the game by giving them influence points.
    Come on, Rhoklaw.

edit: You've just, basically, defined "shilling", rewarding people for public backing, without observers (of said backing) having full knowledge there are rewards being distributed. Did you realize it?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    The irony is strong in this thread
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Not to mention Soulbound Studios is rewarding it's community members for helping to promote the game by giving them influence points.
    Come on, Rhoklaw.
    He made a valid point, if they are doing this, then genuine fans of the game are going to want to promote it, it doesn't make them shills, its just a marketing technique by the company to encourage their fans.
    If a game i was really interested in did this, i might be tempted to do the same thing and pass the word around a bit.
    The only thing wrong really is that its a game thats in early development being advertised.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited May 2016
    Phry said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Come on, Rhoklaw.
    He made a valid point, if they are doing this, then genuine fans of the game are going to want to promote it, it doesn't make them shills, its just a marketing technique by the company to encourage their fans.
    If a game i was really interested in did this, i might be tempted to do the same thing and pass the word around a bit.
    The only thing wrong really is that its a game thats in early development being advertised.
    How is that "marketing technique" not making shills of the community? Usually you're pretty on point, but this time all you did was switch up a couple words.

edit: Just to see, I skimmed through all of "that person's" 120ish posts and he does not once inform people he is being rewarded to speak well of this product. So, if what you guys are saying is true, you've just nailed the coffin lid closed. All that's left in my eyes is what the moderation here chooses to do about it. Maybe they'll do nothing, maybe they like shills. I guess we'll see.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Phry said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Come on, Rhoklaw.
    How is that "marketing technique" not making shills of the community? Usually you're pretty on point, but this time all you did was switch up a couple words.
    basically, you are directly calling the developers of CoE swindlers by calling these persons shills. . .

. . .classy
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Let's get off the topic of "shills" or "no shills" please. Stick to the original post. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Actually I'm getting virtually nothing (that I can see anyway) for promoting CoE, I have a whole 50 influence points. It just happens that I discovered this game a few weeks ago, liked what I saw and after reading all the developer journals, etc., decided that it was one I wanted to support.

I believe in the game and the developers but the only way we're going to stand a chance of getting the game built is by getting the funding off to a good start on Kickstarter. That's what these posts are about, drumming up support by raising awareness of the game and answering any questions, etc. that people might have about it...and there have been a lot.

I don't understand why some people get so worked up about things that they could so easily avoid. Not interested in the game? Don't read the posts. It's really not that hard.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    This is an idea mmo. Great in theory but it's never going to happen. I wish it would but it's not even believable. Feel kinda bad for people roped in by this one. 
  • drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    And you justification for this view is?
    Following MMOs since the 90s. This game will never see the light of day, or eventually another company will buy it out and push it out the doors, and what you get won't resemble anything originally promised. 
    I'd bet money on this.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    drakaena said:
    Following MMOs since the 90s. This game will never see the light of day, or eventually another company will buy it out and push it out the doors, and what you get won't resemble anything originally promised. 
    I'd bet money on this.
    It's the timeline that seems unrealistic.  From pre-production (their description) to early entry release in 16 months, with all of these revolutionary features, just does not seem reasonable. Even Crowfall which had a lot more money, experienced developers, and a less revolutionary product are now talking about a soft launch with lots of missing features.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

drakaena said:
    I'd bet money on this.
    Lol you would think you the only one.....
    Again where is your facts other than that
     Your knowledge, your expertise.

Playing games foes not make you an expert in developing them.
    No facts and not an expert. I hope this game gets made and has every feature promised. I'd play the fuq out of it. But I don't think I'm wrong. 
    See honesty at its best. I have respect for that and because your honest i respect your opinion.
    Maybe we can all try it.

My experience is coding on an amstrad cpc as a child but never getting anything good. I have had an interest in games since 1988 and mmorpg's since 1996.

I have started learning programming in depth 1 year ago and started a degree in computer science at uni in 2015.
    I have some modest experience with ue4 mainly in BP but some c++.

In my opinion this game is plausible possible and will be complete with its dedicated developers.

Next

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The hype for this title reminds me of this article.

"Developers have to balance their enthusiasm with what they're actually capable of accomplishing. On one hand, it is imperative to get people talking before the game ships, especially if you have little to no marketing budget. On the other, the more fans talk, the more they dream, and the more they dream, the more they expect. If it gets out of hand, expect a violent backlash when reality rears its ugly head."

"For the community and marketing people, it is important to define and recognize where awareness of a product ends and inflation begins. The worst part is, they're battling human nature. Imagination is always more fun than reality. In imagination, features do not get cut or reigned in to meet deadlines, and things like poly-counts and draw distances need not be considered."

"The key for developers is not to lie, exaggerate or promise things they're only moderately sure they can do"
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Shaigh said:
    The hype for this title reminds me of this article.

"Developers have to balance their enthusiasm with what they're actually capable of accomplishing. On one hand, it is imperative to get people talking before the game ships, especially if you have little to no marketing budget. On the other, the more fans talk, the more they dream, and the more they dream, the more they expect. If it gets out of hand, expect a violent backlash when reality rears its ugly head."

"For the community and marketing people, it is important to define and recognize where awareness of a product ends and inflation begins. The worst part is, they're battling human nature. Imagination is always more fun than reality. In imagination, features do not get cut or reigned in to meet deadlines, and things like poly-counts and draw distances need not be considered."

"The key for developers is not to lie, exaggerate or promise things they're only moderately sure they can do"
    Totally agree.  Hardcore fans do far more damage to their game than the biggest detractor ever could...

The most popular player on an NFL team is usually the backup QB, until he gets put into the game and exposed.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

This discussion has been closed.