Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you hope CU has that is not available in current games?

LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69
I'm not looking for another pvp game.  I play LoL and if I want pvp I can go there.  What I can't find in the games that are currently out is a great player community.  Many times you will see a great community of players in pve games.  While there are nice people playing pvp games, pvp games seem to have a high percentage of unpleasant people playing them.  For a game to have a good community, there needs to be mechanisms in place for players to work together and make friends.  Some ways I think you can help create a good community are:

1.  Encourage grouping and player interaction - I don't mind for there to be some ability to solo but the game should strongly encourage grouping as the optimal way to achieve goals in the game.  I would love a game where there is a bonus reward for groups to be full.

2.  Encourage players to join guilds and alliances and encourage the guilds and alliances to recruit players - Many games have guilds and/or alliances but few games seem to have much reason for players  to join guilds and the guilds don't have much reason to recruit players.

3.  Encourage zergs -  I am fine with all types of pvp, 1v1 or group vs group or zerg vs zerg.  However, I think a rvr games is meant to have zerg vs zerg.  Why automatically ally all players in a realm if you don't want them to fight together as a realm?  If the main emphasis is 1v1 or group vs group then why make it a rvr game? 

4.  Player Structures - These can be shops, alliance halls, castles or defenses that players can gather around and interact with other players.

5.  Player Economy - Players interacting to trade goods and services is another way a community can develop.

6.  Removal of Players who are rude to, steal from or harass other players.

I really hope that CU does not leave it to chance that a good player community develops but actively looks for ways to encourage its development.

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    that retro MMO feel....

I also hope it bloody stays there =P =)

This have been a good conversation

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Addictive RvR -- the type that makes me can't wait to login every day and makes me struggle to pull myself away from the computer when it is time to log. I haven't found that except in DAOC.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Class interdependence. 
  • TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    The feeling of participation in a real world in real conflict as opposed to gaming the system for carrots such as maximal stats and progression.
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    A sweet launcher.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Freedom from hand holding and safety rails for the lesser beings.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The list is too long to post .
    Developers know themselves what constitutes a great game,a game they can brag proudly about and not just in jest but in seriousness.

They also know that in MOST cases they cannot deliver that game but instead have to stoop to low standards of lying and promoting the product they do have because that is their only option.

That is the sad reality of life,you will never get the truth only sales pitches.I can also guarantee that the owner Mark Jacobs with a straight honest  face would tell you in private it is not a great game but merely the best he can do under the circumstances or NEAR BEST he can do.
    You know it,i know it but it is up to us weather we accept the effort given and that is ALWAYS what i comment on in games is the effort.
    I can tell you straight up the MOST important facet of a game is not in ANY of these games and that is a realistic ECO system,that is the first part of a game design that SHOULD  be there but takes a lot of work and effort and AI to pull off.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    No cash shop

Like the old DAoC the CS reps respond in game to help with reported problems.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Make RvR has impact in economy circulation. It would be nice if RvR has impact on price of certain resources, so that will drives people to participate. I think this way would enhance RvR experience by forcing every sides to come up with better strategy every time they have clashes.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Start with what DAOC has and add.....crafter oriented......building construction and destruction......player oriented economy.....all items and magics will be player  crafted....abilities increase with their use.....horizontal progression (not vertical).....no cash shop....no cross realming.....no action combat......no pve(except for crafter materials).......real realm pride......player and spell collision.
  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Large-scale RVR like the old DAOC classic days!

It was so exciting to be involved in long-term RVR action, fortress attack, zerg-on-zerg, one-on-one, the thrill of entering dangerous frontiers, etc.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• Falcor87Falcor87 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited March 2016
    Acornia said:
    No cash shop
    This sums it up for me. 

And class/craft interdependence
  • numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    They need a driven non diminishing return endgame. I don't want to log on just to take a keep or castle with no real effect. It gets boring quick. There needs to be a reason other than the same to keep coming back. The end game needs to have value for your actions.
  • phillyboy7897phillyboy7897 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Large PvP fights involving distinctive classes and skills. Those fights also rewarding player skill and not lagging. It is so important they don't lag.
  • shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I just spent the last few hours reading through all the different classes and foundational principles. I played daoc from 2001 to 2013 and warhammer for 6 months and they were botrh very good. Warhammer obviously suffered from EA, but the game could have been really great.

Marc Jacobs wants to bring back the old feeling of being part of a realm, part of a community that we had in Daoc.

So thats one thing, the community.

Then there is the depth. So much depth to abilities and how they can be combined. So many classes and all different so that, similar to dark age, you can spend years playing each realm and all of the classes. There is massive depth to the spell system and how different spells interact with each other and even with the weather. More depth involved with the armor you are wearing and the spells you are trying to use. I could go on and on, cause... well... its deep.

No handholding. No maps that show you the game world and take all of the mystery out of it. I loved that about Daoc. I think it made the world which was actually large, feel even larger. You could and often did get lost, especially when trying to find mobs in Cursed Forest. Of course they later added the map, but it was more fun without it. You actually need to learn the lay of the land and learn landmarks and have a sense of direction in Unchained.

When i started playing video games on PC most people didnt have computers. They were something that smart kids had for the most part and the games that were made for them were aimed at smart kids who were anything but mainstream. Daoc came out when most people still didnt have, or were just starting to aquire pcs, and it was aimed at the pre-wow era gamers. Marc says that he is making the game for people like us. I used to have games on my commadore 64 that were deeper and had much better gameplay than most modern mmos. Sid Meiers' Pirates, anyone?

No cash shop, subscription based. Don't think i need to elaborate on that.

RvR. The only game that currently has 3 faction pvp that is good is Planetside 2. Love that game, but i still need to run around in a world of swords and sorcery sometimes.

So im looking forward to this game having lots of things that other games dont have.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    All I want is a solid game that provides a little bit of entertainment value.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Good pvp; well implemented game mechanics that are designed from the ground up to facilitate pvp, with gear / level scaling taking a back seat to skill and group coordination.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Deep Combat Mechanics - Plenty of skills per character (min 20+), good group play, focus on player skill rather than gear score etc. 

Accessible RvR - I love objective-based open world pvp. I love fighting over keeps, objectives etc. However, the accessible part is important. I want to be able to pvp solo, small group, standard group and raid and be able to contribute and have fun in all group sizes. This is something WAR failed at - you raided / zerged / premade, or you died. 

Houses / Castles - I truly believe that the future of sandbox mmos lies with the ability to create semi-permanent structures in the real world (i.e. not instanced). CU looks to be taking a decent step in that direction

Basically, I want to come home from work, then after I've had dinner, logon and pvp with friends for a few hours. When I start getting tired / drained then I'd like to "retire" to my plot, wherever it might be, and spend 20mins extending whatever I'm building. Maybe I only have time to extend a wall around my field. Maybe I can add a tower to my house. Maybe I'm trying to build a small keep so I might have to go mining for 30mins.

Kill -> Loot -> Enjoy the spoils of war!
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Large PvP fights involving distinctive classes and skills. Those fights also rewarding player skill and not lagging. It is so important they don't lag.
    Agree with that being lag free is so insanely important.  It has killed ESO pvp for me.  
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Why are you so worried about the community? I've played most MMORPGs with PVP and its fun to beat down an opponent that is not nice. It feels like a bigger accomplishment. Let it mean something to be a cool player to have around, but nobody will recognize one without others to compare to. Without asshats, you are going to just be a regular shmo like everyone else.

My point being. Don't let the PVP crowd bring you down as its really fun to beat someone you don't like... otherwise you end up feeling bad for people that you kill, which isn't as fun.

"removal of bad community"

wtf??

that is like shipping off the Jews in WW2.. lol

There are fun ways to handle interacting with them. No need to push your views down other peoples throats.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    To answer the question of 'what am I looking for'

Something to work toward in the game for bragging rights.. something that only the best PVPers end up having like Vanguard had infamy, for example, and it did not effect you in a bad way if you had poor infamy.. it was only for bragging rights.. but I think I like to show off so when people hover over my name they see that I am not to be messed with. In Guild Wars they had titles.. In Darkfall you end up remembering who the good players are because it effects you so much..

A simple scoreboard is not enough for me... I want more... something to grind for preferably that is hard as hell to obtain.

If there is going to be a long grind than noob PVP should be just as fun as endgame PVP.

No PVE solo content or storyline.. just have as much group PVE and PVP as possible..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I know the developer is big on crafting, I'm hoping he can deliver something even better than SWG was.
    That and some meaningful pvp and I'll be playing this game for sure.
    Sorry OP, but this game will definitly have pvp.
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    DMKano said:
    Since it's a large scale PvP game these are my expectations:

1. Performs well with lots of players on screen
    2. Has meaningful objectives that encourage team play
    3. Realm pride
    4. Fair play by keeping exploits in check
    5. Balanced factions
    6. Fun to play
    Dark age of Camelot!
    Damn I miss that game.
  • RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159
    meddyck said:
    Addictive RvR -- the type that makes me can't wait to login every day and makes me struggle to pull myself away from the computer when it is time to log. I haven't found that except in DAOC.
     same here..... WaR was fun but still a let down... RoR private server flat out sucks.... DAOC was a blast

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Original ideas that actually work and are not pipe dreams that get butchered down to something vaguely resembling the original design.