Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 women vandalize Roman colloseum for a ... selfie

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/calif-women-caught-carving-initials-rome-colosseum-article-1.2141820

"Two California women may go in front of a judge and be fined for carving their initials into a wall of the iconic landmark.

The two, ages 21 and 25, snuck away from their tour group Saturday to scratch their names on an amphitheater wall with a coin. After engraving 8-centimeter-high letters J and N, the pair took a selfie of their deed."

I can't believe people would do that...for a selfie, hopefully they go to jail for a couple of months, but I'm sure they'll get off with a minor fine.

Comments

• larryp11233larryp11233 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    a lot of teenagers are trying to be the "cool kids" by doing these immature things
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would totally vandalize the coliseum for a fine. Imagine what you could do.
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    inb4 tons of people want to write their names on the wall and they allow it for a fee so it becomes a tourist activity.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Why am I not surprised they were from the U.S.?  Home of the brave... but not particularly smart or cultured.  It's funny how often bravery and stupidity overlap, though.  I love when criminals actually take video/photo evidence of their own crimes to show to the world.  Bloody geniuses, I swear it.

I think the punishment should fit the crime.  Carve some Roman numerals into their skin to mark the date of the crime.
    A monetary fine is not nearly enough for permanently damaging what could arguably be classified as a World Wonder.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Lokero said:
    Why am I not surprised they were from the U.S.?  Home of the brave... but not particularly smart or cultured.  It's funny how often bravery and stupidity overlap, though.  I love when criminals actually take video/photo evidence of their own crimes to show to the world.  Bloody geniuses, I swear it.

I think the punishment should fit the crime.  Carve some Roman numerals into their skin to mark the date of the crime.
    A monetary fine is not nearly enough for permanently damaging what could arguably be classified as a World Wonder.
    Little harsh but I feel ya.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    a lot of teenagers are trying to be the "cool kids" by doing these immature things
    meh it's the millennials. Most of them are self consumed entitled idiots.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited May 2016
    These immature things done by people of all ages from all over the world, not just the U.S.A., have been going on at the Roman Colosseum  for centuries. Their age or their generation has nothing to do with it.

It is only in the last 50-100 years that there have been enforced laws against doing so.  What they did was wrong. There is no excuse for what they did. But they weren't the first and won't be the last. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams