Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protobucks Currency Introduced & NCSoft Financials

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageProtobucks Currency Introduced & NCSoft Financials

According to the Q1 2016 NCSoft investor report, Carbine's WildStar is still struggling to find its footing and niche. Earnings for the game were down sharply in comparison to other titles in the company's stable.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    sounds like they wanna sell it otherwise why change a working system?
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    I really wanted to like Wildstar. I pre-ordered and even went with the $200 package. But I couldn't really get into it. It was a bunch of small reasons. Maybe because I tried PvP even though I'm not a PvPer or I picked a class that doesn't fit my playstyle. But I only play it once every two weeks or so. Maybe I need a guild.

Or maybe I'm just burned out on MMOs and PC games in general. I wish the best for this game. I love the setting, the music, the art and it deserves better.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I like Wildstar, but I'm sure the firing of a lot of people on the team greatly reduced confidence in it. It's had a Steam page for a while now, but with no dates or other relevant info there, I'm sure there are a lot of other people holding back to see what happens.
    Sure, changing the real money coinage might be related to the Steam move, but it sure sounds like they are trying to divorce it from NCsoft. So yes, it sounds like a sale might be happening, which again is going to reduce players confidence in this game.
    I kind of wonder how they've kept GW2 alive all this time.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    interesting thought- if Ncsoft sold the ip/game i wonder where wildstar would stand - a new cycle at life?

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I'm hard pressed to believe NCsoft had a change of heart about shutting down games and is going to sell this one.
  • makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48
    bye bye wildstar
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Why bother with yet another currency? This game sure did need yet another one, right? I'm guessing they are getting ready for when the game gets shut down - if it was NcCoin at least you could use that for their other titles...instead, it will be use it or lose it. Smart business move, I guess.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    reeereee said:
    I'm hard pressed to believe NCsoft had a change of heart about shutting down games and is going to sell this one.
    Maybe they learned their lesson when they refused to sell City of Heroes despite getting a very good offer for it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016

exile01 said:

The good news: L1 revenue dropped very little. Probably number 1 "sub" game by revenue and by inference number 1 by population. Congrats. (I know we don't know WoW's revenue but it forms part of Blizzard's revenue which was well down. And if Hearthstone and Heroes were up - as AB are suggesting - the fall is due to Blizzard other games. Even if WoW made up the same % of Blizzard's revenue as it did in Q4 then subs are just over 3M.)

Blade and Soul. Solid western growth and unlike WS this is building on solid income from other regions. Will it last in the west? Time will tell but certainly a good start.

Speaking of WS the bad news: how much worse can things get? 1,282M Won - about $1M in the quarter and still dropping. And whilst they have reduced staff if the reports were even close to accurate they are losing millions of dollars each quarter.

As the article suggests the currency change probably is connected to a release on Steam. NCSoft will not want people buying NCoin via Steam and then spending it on other NCSoft games. Reason? Steam are going to get a %. Probably a big percentage. No word yet though so will the Steam launch happen? Steam will want paying and these numbers are bad and still dropping.

However with Aion up and GW2 / L2 dropping little post Christmas NCSoft will, I suspect, be very happy.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Release Wildstar on console. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recore said:

Release Wildstar on console. 

I have thought this for a long, long time. The combat style is eminently suited for controllers and consoles. It would be a smart move if they could pull it off with the limited staff they have left.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Alverant said:
    reeereee said:
    Maybe they learned their lesson when they refused to sell City of Heroes despite getting a very good offer for it.
    It's possible they're less cocky after narrowly fending off Nexon's attempt at a hostile takeover.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited May 2016
    These numbers are hurruble!
    While the game has it's flaws and i get why some people don't like this or that about it, i don't think it is THAT bad that these numbers are justified.

What's wrong??

*Edit: i wouldnt be surprised if NCSoft pulls the plug even before the Steam launch.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    [insert something] will save WS.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I pre-ordered WildStar as well and really liked it.. Up until I got into the Raids. The Raids totally ruined it for me. They were so difficult and everything had to be just "so" or otherwise you wiped. I left after that point and while I heard they softened their views on end-game content I doubt I will ever set foot again in WildStar.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    If NCSoft wants a winning title, they already have one in their vault.... BRING BACK COX !!! :)

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Well the crap part for WS is the fact that they are pretty region locked to US/EU. Many a profit comes from the pacific.

L1 ...for instance. How many people can you say are playing L1 right the hell now?

Probably very few westerners.

Yet look at those numbers. Never doubt the power of the Asian markets.
    Shit brick old games move well there. I have personally played l1 back in the day when a 32 meg graphics card was like the ELITE card of choice.

The game is still rolling cash in.

Really I don't know what the deal with WS is. It's a great game. I play it mostly daily. The population is there... I just don't think anyone is spending anything..at all.

It's just too free. Not to mention despite my positive bias towards the game I have to say... I have no real incentive to spend money on a game that has a dim future.

Knowing that's how I feel...a man who spends more money on Moba skins than actual clothes..

I can only imagine what a filthy casual would think.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    exile01 said:
    Working isn't good enough, the game is clearly not gaining as many players as they hoped for. They will certainly sell it for the right price, otherwise is the alternative to make the game better so it gets more players or cancel it.

I don't think NC soft accept a game with these numbers long term sadly, in it's current state is it just not attracting enough players. There are worse games with better numbers but that doesn't really help.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

Ratero said:

If NCSoft wants a winning title, they already have one in their vault.... BRING BACK COX !!! :)

As much as I want the game back, I am not sure would play it under the NCSOFT banner.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I still can't believe it got released. I mean how in the hell did it even get funded?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Bring City of Heroes back.

Mystery Bounty

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Ratero said:

I agree, me and many other former players would buy the full game again we just want our MMO home back.

Mystery Bounty

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It will be interesting to see the full financials where they are also broken down by region, in previous ones most of their revenue was generated in the home market, the NA/EU portion of the revenue was only a few percentage points, would be interesting to see if B&S has actually caught on in the west, i have a feeling, that its not doing that well here, though will probably need to see financials from the next Quarter to really get an impression of how badly, assuming they release regional information that is.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Meanwhile, at the Carbine Studios main office...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic