Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lefties - What is your keyboard, mouse(?) and desk set up?

JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130

Both my son and daughter are lefties. Mom and I are righties... so our computers are set up for us.

My 7 and 5 year-old play Wizard 101 and Pirates 101. I'm setting up a system for them and I am wondering what set-up you, as a lefty, have put together. I would prefer to put a good mouse, keyboard, desk layout together right off the bat instead of trial and error to get something good for these two.

I guess I should ask, do you find the mouse the best input device?

Descriptions are good, pictures of the set-up would be great. Thanks all!

Comments

• larryp11233larryp11233 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited May 2016
    Im a leftie but sort of ambidextrous so I can also work fine with my right EXCEPT when I'm writing. B)
  • rebaccccarebacccca Member UncommonPosts: 4
    @Jaiml I am a left but use my mouse and keyboard like the 99% of gamers out there. Its just the point of preference and how you started using it. Ever since i got my hands on a mouse i have been using it with my left hand. And even though i am a leftie, thinking of using the mouse with my left hand is something I cannot do.
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    @larryp11233 @rebacccca   A bit of necromancy on the replies =p

but since this is active I will update this thread! =)

I ended up setting both the kids up with a right handed set-up.  They have been playing for a year now.  they moved from Wizard 101 and Trove to GW2 as our family game (wife plays as well).  

My son loves Neverwinter and PVP games, my daughter loves Tera.

This week we managed to get 3 keys for BDO and have been fooling around with that.

The most interesting part I have found is the speed at which these kids brains adjust!  My son has wicked hand-eye coordination that I cannot keep up with in FPS.  He is very good in pvp games.  Both my son and daughter now find standard MMO controls old hat.  They can load up a new game and just slip right in with WSAD movement and number hot keys for skills and actions.  To see their little hands flying across the keyboards during a fight is just crazy.

I wish my brain still learned and functioned at that rate!

I think you poor lefties are doing what you can.  It is a right handed world and sometimes you just adjust.

Thanks for the replies!
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I am a leftie.  I prefer Up,Down, Right,Left arrows over the normal WSAD setup.  That way I can use moba type hotkey setups for skills. QWESR.  It works very well and totally dominate in many games because of that set up.  I rarely have to use the mouselook, as long as I set up my view the way i want it initially.
  • rebaccccarebacccca Member UncommonPosts: 4
    @Jaiml Will its not about being a right handed world. In gaming, it all depends on your preference. If for example your son and daughter were righties, and you give them a Left handed setup they will adapt to that. They might have problem playing for a day or two but then it won't be an issue. I am a lefty and in my case I adapted to the right handed setup like it was nothing. However, this at some point would have a draw back if you consider FPS games. We all have one hand that is more powerful than the other. I think its for everyone (or else i am not a normal child lol). But yeah, i tried to test this with having the maximum number of clicks for both hands. And as I thought, I had more clicks with my left hand even though I have never used a mouse with my left hand.

So in the long run if your son or your daughter go into professional gaming I think they will feel a difference because I personally have felt that.