Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give me a melee fight system like this

OlafTheStoutOlafTheStout Member UncommonPosts: 21
I am kind of fed up with all the classic mmorpg fighting sytems (especially those asia action combat AAAA+ games). Give me a melee fight system like mordhau has and i'm in. I want a game where skill matters. I know there are already games like Gloria Victis etc. but they feel to clumsy for me.
this is what a melee fight should look like (with maybe little bit less dismembered heads ;)

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Quite a few games with this already but they aren't mmo's.  They are online pvp games.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    ESO is close enough for me, even has first person view.
  • OlafTheStoutOlafTheStout Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Forgrimm said:
    ESO is close enough for me, even has first person view.

sry bro but eso is miles and miles away from this
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited May 2016
    You know what people says about gaming.  The good games are the one which is not out.  And all games out now sucks.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    I am kind of fed up with all the classic mmorpg fighting sytems (especially those asia action combat AAAA+ games). Give me a melee fight system like mordhau has and i'm in. I want a game where skill matters. I know there are already games like Gloria Victis etc. but they feel to clumsy for me.
    this is what a melee fight should look like (with maybe little bit less dismembered heads ;)

Looks a lot like Chivalry.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Mortal Online? i know game suffer population for years but its right pick if you want UO + M&B
    Question you can survive? all this kind brutality with near zero protect to newcomers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I would be happy with a combat system in an MMO like Kingdom of Amalur 
    Too bad i can only tag this as "awesome" a single time. Otherwise i would awesome it 100x.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Chivalry with slightly brighter graphics?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    TBH this is why I'm so excited about Conan exiles, as I picture it being something in-between Chivalry and a wider engrossing experience like an MMO. I'm hoping combat is as brutal as it is Chiv.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    This looks like eq in 1999, but then I accidently zoomed out to 3rd person once .. never went back to 1st person again in a mmorpg. Probably why I never was impressed with Oblivion, but each their own taste :D

On a more serious note, if I should Imagine a setup where I might accept 1st person view, it would probably have to be with a 180 degree screen (or VR) so I can look to the side, because in the usual 1st person view on a screen I feel so boxed in with the narrow field of view.
    But that 1st person combat would have to be smoother with a more natural feel to it than this video shows.

For some reason I am ok with fps games in 1st person.. it is something about melee combat in 1st person that feels wrong.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Looks terrible, they really need to get themselves to a few HEMA events and perhaps get a couple of HEMA people on staff.  Where are the guard positions? Classic fencing recognizes nine of them. 

All in all it is a dumb idea, if I wanted this stuff I would get directly involved in HEMA or one of the LARP groups, video games should be about abstraction not reenactment.
  • Hansen88aaHansen88aa Member UncommonPosts: 7
    @OlafTheStout An upcoming game called For Honor is similar to this and it's a AAA production. 
  • GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Absolutely!

While I agree with @Craftseeker that this doesn’t actually look much like real techniques, I can definitely appreciate the complexity involved in the system and the skill that goes into controlling it.

It wouldn’t even necessarily have to be this advanced for me, but anything a little more engaging than tab-target auto-attack hotbar-button-spam would be f*cking glorious.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    For my personal tastes, such a combat system sucks and I'd hate it. It's not that it doesn't look good or doesn't involve tactics, it just looks quite basic. Looked like a very limited amount of actions that the user could actually perform and was more about timing of blocks and swings. Minimal brain power required, plus such a dumbed down representation of how melee combat actually works.

Until someone comes up with an input system which can accurately and quickly map my desired movements into game actions, I'll stick with simulated combat (traditional tab-target) which, whilst not perfect, at least engages the brain a lot more than action combat and has a much greater variety of skills. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Oh goodness even watching that gave me a small headache. Too much shaking. Is that how FPS melee games are,so much shaking and movement.
    Chamber of Chains
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    That does look good. I'd love to see systems like that in place.

MMORPGs for to long have been tab target based and IMO has to be the least stimulating combat out there. Very simplistic on the old noggin.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    @OlafTheStout An upcoming game called For Honor is similar to this and it's a AAA production. 
    For Honor is the game I am most looking forward to, hope it comes out soon.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    Just play Chivalry.  It's a great game that's already been out for ages.  Had tons of fun with it.

As to why MMOs don't do first person combat like that, I think it's more difficult to handle parry and blocking with potentially 100 people on the screen.

Action combat games like BnS have blocking and dodging, but it's not based on aim (other than facing in the other person's direction).  Not sure it's possible for an MMO to do it.

Darkfall had (will have) 1st person combat, but I'm not sure it's as defined as this.
  • ivaylo1981ivaylo1981 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited May 2016
    Dont like me , if i play 3,4 hours and this camera move and shaking lol not for me :)

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I actually really miss Chivalry.  I lost the steam account that had it on it though lol...

I should try to find it again.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    OMG! Yeah, I want that. Hook it up to a Vive and give me a weighted sword handle controller as well. 
    I seriously need to get that game, while they moved to a semi-realistic combat you can see that those guys actually have held a real sword in their hands.

The disadvantage with the system seems to be that neither mouse or console controller seems optimal for it but even with that it still looks fun.

A MMO using similar mechanics would offer a completelly different experience then anything we ever seen before. And honestly is the standard MMO combat not enough any longer (particularly if the MMOs go to VR). We need games trying new things.
    Looks terrible, they really need to get themselves to a few HEMA events and perhaps get a couple of HEMA people on staff.  Where are the guard positions? Classic fencing recognizes nine of them. 

All in all it is a dumb idea, if I wanted this stuff I would get directly involved in HEMA or one of the LARP groups, video games should be about abstraction not reenactment.
    I prefer ARMA myself, and yes, this is not realistic but it it many times more realistic thern anything we seen before and making it truly realistic would probably make it less fun. It takes many years to become good at actual swordplay which is kinda counterproductive in a game, once you actually becomes good the game is already ancient.

Most Larp groups I seen are rather pathetic at fencing, you might have seen far better of course.

But first you say that it isn't realistic enough and then you complain that it is too realistic, I kinda feel that this is a good go between. I am not saying all MMOs should be like this, certainbly not but one or 2 would be nice.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Chivalry was fun, but have to admit Mordhau looks 10x better. Just in the TB vid the very first swing that was clearly above the shield was blocked. That was the kind of clunk I found common in Chiv. Between that and the silly mouse drag swings that defy all logic and physics allowing you to hit someone at the end of a swing by simply turning into them. It was pure cheese, imo.

Looking forward to trying Mordhau though. They even addressed the problem I spoke of above in that video.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Just feels like there's no reason to make that type of a game an MMO or an RPG.
    • Non-MMOs already provide that style of combat well.  Creating a server with a massive number of players wouldn't improve the experience by enough to be worth it. 
    • Being an RPG just works against the combat quality.  (Like in Darkfall where I landed ~21 sword swings against my opponent in the time it took him to kill me in ~4 swings. In spite of my tremendous skill advantage over him, he had gear (RPG progression) and I didn't.)
    Just makes more sense to keep that style of game as the games that are being offered.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Axehilt said:
    Just feels like there's no reason to make that type of a game an MMO or an RPG.
    • Non-MMOs already provide that style of combat well.  Creating a server with a massive number of players wouldn't improve the experience by enough to be worth it. 
    • Being an RPG just works against the combat quality.  (Like in Darkfall where I landed ~21 sword swings against my opponent in the time it took him to kill me in ~4 swings. In spite of my tremendous skill advantage over him, he had gear (RPG progression) and I didn't.)
    Just makes more sense to keep that style of game as the games that are being offered.
    Yeah, more or less. This combat looks great and does well to emulate real sword fighting however it does not mix well with MMO or RPG and really makes me question what people are thinking having this in an MMORPG.