Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Shutting down....Possibly

13»

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    When developers find it necessary to say "we continue to support the game" you know it is winding down. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Abuz0r said:
    Yeah I love Darkfall but I can't maintain a high stress level for that long.  We go hunt some tough monsters and get ganked and lose everything we've been stashing... terrible.  Some players are pvp prodigies and their arrows find you no matter what direction you weave in, then you're down and dead.  I just couldn't do it anymore.  Tired of being one of the bad hundreds that feeds the amazing 10s then gets insulted for being bad.
    This is kinda what is boils down to.  You can only lose so many times before you start going backwards in the gear department.  Farming for hours to lose it in seconds.  I still had a ton of fun and the game was pretty damn good, overall.  Having everyone you come across as being kill on sight does get old.

We will see what these two companies can do with DF1.  I didn't play that game as I don't want to have to bind 90 abilities somehow.  I would try New Dawn as it looks like they are trying to make the game more than a PvP arena.  It is not going to be an easy thing to pull off though.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Snakex said:
    Wizardry said:
    It is a game that never should have been.
    Simple reason is they could not afford to take that half finished game and turn it into a triple A game.There is a reason the original game folded up shop.

There is a LOT more that needs to go into a game other than generate a map and flag players for pvp.

When i see a game focused on pvp,i know it is a shallow game not worth playing.

I actually played the original game for about idk close to a month.The little it did was ok but the entire experience just felt empty/dead,you cannot bring a game world to life when it is just dead.

It is basically like building a shopping mall,3/4 the stores are boarded up,the rest have little to sell in them,nobody would shop there.

I have never really figured out if this Greek guy was serious about gaming or if he was simply trying to make a buck.IMO he gave it a fair try considering his budget but it's just not good enough.If he truly has passion for the game it might stick around on life support but who really knows.

Your statement about PvP falls on itself. Look at League of legends, Dota2 and Team fortress 2.
    A map and PvP is functional, but its the mechanics and the synergy you put along with it that makes a PvP game good and last for years.  Darkfall had no proper mechanics and absolutely no synergy.

LoL, DOTA2, and TF2 are competitive PVP games. I like World of Tanks, Armored Warfare, and want to play more Heroes of the Storm, but PVP in an MMORPG is an entirely different creature.

MMORPG PVP can be competitive if PVP contests are governed by a match-maker that ensures somewhat competitive battles. We'll call them 'battlegrounds'.

But I have a feeling a matchmaker isn't among the mechanics you're talking about.

I think the trouble with Open World PVP games or even hybrids like Black Desert is that only a small fraction of the players can be competitive. That's true for the same reason that only a small fraction of PVE players make it to raiding; levels and gear. Open world PVP favors those who put the most time and effort into the game, as it should be, but most online players don't have that kind of time to devote to one game.

So, people like me will make incremental progress in a PVE MMORPG, and switch to another game when I'm in the mood for a PVP experience where I can be competitive in a relatively short time.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I hate it how people say something along the lines of Darkfall failed because

Its retarded.. seriously... people are still playing and enjoying this game. If you don't like it than don't play it but by no means does that suddenly make the game a failure... because your sorry ass decides not to play it.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Keep Calm and go play Black Desert Online. Open World PvP with Guild vs Guild wars and pk system. 2 months old.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    So, the 1000 players that DF:UW had will now be split over 2 competing versions of the game run by franchisee's ?

Aventurine have an interisting response to the "dying game" problem: just rename it and open more servers !
    If DF is shutting down, it's a pretty good response.  By this point, they know conclusively whether they wish to shut the game or not.  Let's make one last bid for a bit of cash before we fold.  However, we need to keep UW going for a bit longer to keep interested in DF going, so we keep it on life support until the 'competition' is viable.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Hefaistos said:
    Keep Calm and go play Black Desert Online. Open World PvP with Guild vs Guild wars and pk system. 2 months old.
    I wouldnt recommend bdo for pvp. But if you want to fish or farm crops, breed/tame horses etc this game is perfect.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    tom_gore said:
    Sadly, open world FFA PvP with no content for players who want (relatively) safe PvE doesn't work. This has been proved many, many times now.

Even EVE would be dead by now if it didn't have high-sec space.

Lineage 2 - for the years previous to GoD anyway - mixed PvE and PvP beautifully - and that game was full open-world PvP anywhere outside of a town or city. And there was a lot of PvE to be had (not just grinding levels).

The trick was - and this is something I've not seen another PvP MMO do nearly as well, if at alll, yet - in L2 PvP and PvE content were complementary. Each fed and was fed by the other.

On a most basic level... Leveling was a PvE activity, but one which could invite competition if someone else decided they wanted your spot, and there just weren't enough targets to go around. PvP could break out. Or, one person might decide "nah, not worth it" and just find another spot.

The game has/had tons of world raid bosses, which rewarded some valuable items, materials, etc. Raid Bosses are decidedly PvE, but invited a lot of PvP as they were also highly contested for their drops, so people could better gear themselves, to become even more well prepared for PvP, etc.

Castle and Fortress Sieges were decidedly a PvP event, but one which led to many PvE type bonuses for the victor. Castles gave access to setting tax rates for NPC sales made in towns/cities under their control, as well as a dungeon battle exclusive to the castle's controlling clan, or anyone they invited. Fortresses brought other similarly helpful boosts and benefits which were decidedly PvE in nature.

The 7 Seals event they used to have going for a while fed directly into the Castle Siege system, as fighting for one side would bring benefits to the Castle owners if they won, while fighting for the other would benefit attackers if they won. Every means of gathering the key "currency" items involved in the 7 Seals (called seal stones) was 100% PvE, but could also invite PvP as areas to gather those seal stones could become contested. There was an additional content system, also PvE, which allowed people to earn points for their side, and it was basically a mini-event where a team would have to stay alive and fight through waves of ever increasing mobs for as long as they could.

The examples go on. Lineage 2, for all its flaws in other areas (-cough-RMT-cough-) blended PvE and PvP beautifully. For me, it still stands as the absolute shining example of how it can, and should, be done in any MMO where the developers want to mix the two playstyles.

So, it's not that it can't be done. It's just that so few have done it well.
  • shifueshifue Member UncommonPosts: 11
    If you want to know the problem with darkfall look no farther then the dev team.Their lack of direction and making promises they never kept plus the fact of them never listening/ addressing the players nor taking the hacking issues seriously that did the game in.Not the pvp full loot if you joined the game not knowing what it was then that was your fault as it was well known the game was full loot. Even then gear was not hard to make/get back so it was not even that big of a deal the theme park fan boys are the ones that blew that out of proportion.

The game had a lot of players until the dev team kept going quiet and dropping the ball on things that is when everyone left and the same thing for dfuw.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I hope Darkfall Rise of Agon is better than Unholy Wars, I hope it doesn't get shut down with Rise of Agon when it releases.