Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PARAGON - First Impressions: AWESOME with a pinch of ARGH! Final Score 7/10

Battousai28Battousai28 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Ahoy People,

So I got into the open beta for Paragon, which is a MOBA from the makers of Unreal Tournament and Ark Survival, and I have to say it was A LOT of fun. I have played countless hours of League of Legends in my day, and I can tell you I had way more fun playing Paragon. 

Like every other game out there, there are PROS and CONS to every game. I cover my opinion of the game in my video, however I wanted to post my opinions here as well. If you want to check out the video as well please feel free!

https://youtu.be/NgF6mJp57k4 

PROS

1. Fast Paced - 
Last hitting in this game is important, but nothing like League. In this game you get XP much quicker and you don’t have to last hit. When you kill players and minions they drop orbs on the ground that gives you currency to buy cards. If you are the one to last hit the mob the orbs go directly to you instead of falling on the ground.

2. 3D MOBA - Like Smite this is over the shoulder Third Person like a shooter, however in this game you can go vertical as well. Rampage for instance can jump super far to chase or run away. This just adds another aspect to the game that makes it different.

3. Card System - In League you buy items throughout the match from the store. You can create a custom item set for your characters in advance to help make sorting and picking items easier. In Paragon you have Cards that are you items. You can have 40 cards in a deck, and you can get different cards form different things. The cards range from Common - Epic, and have different stats. I could spend hours just editing my deck to pick from in game. 

4. Characters - All the characters are pretty different and are a lot of fun. Each one fits a certain playstyle similar to other MOBA's. I enjoyed played against bots, and was excited to try out all the characters!

CONS

1. PvP Queue - The ARGH! of this game is the Player vs Player Queue. This game has 3 modes, Solo Vs Bots, Group Vs Bots, and Player Vs Player. In the 30+ hours I played this game I did not do PvP once. Not because I am a pussy, but because the queue was 1-2+ hours to get a match. I am sure the population is limited, but come on! This needs fixed ASAP in order for this game to be as successful as it should be!

2. Card System - The card system is a con, because I think this adds a P2W function to the game which may prevent players from playing the P2P queue. Since cards have different rarities and can be bought, people who invest more time and money in the game will have better cards than a new player making it a huge disadvantage.

3. Balance - There is some balance issues with some of the classes vs the environment. Muriel and Rampage together with their ults and can take out towers and inhibs without needed minions. This tends to force people to play the combo in order to have an easier time winning.

FINAL FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW SCORE 7/10.

This is the first MOBA I enjoyed this much. I love the gameplay, characters, and card system. However, the issue with the PvP queue is what is really holding me back from buying founders pack for this game. I think the card system is manageable if you are a decent player, and as for the class balance, that is a work in progress for all games. 

Hope this review was helpful, and I look forward to seeing you on the field of battle. 

Cheers!

VanvierseGaming

Check out all my Gaming Videos by clicking here ---> VaniverseGaming Channel

Comments

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Those cash shop cards sound like a serious p2w problem. Im curious how much of a grind will it be to get them via playing the game. Have to say, this is becoming a trend in these new pvp games. 
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Paragon is very hard for me to play when you get a bunch of stubborn little children in games, not to mention Ps4 users who do not type, countless arguements, (No role selection)  Over-All unplayable because of this.

Over-All League OF Legends is still better, and DOTA 2 for the fact they both have role selection systems and players who troll get punished...

The cards could also be pay 2 win the team who has the best cards wins every time if you minus skill from game-play.
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Haven't played it, but on both epic's reddit and streamers I've watched playing, they say cards are only obtainable through gameplay and not rmt.