Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games that gave you the most hours of enjoyment?

Comments

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384

FFXI, EQ2, and DAOC. nothing comes close to how those games gave me enjoyment. I spent many, many nights missing sleep for work the next day, but didn t care, all I thought about was that Relic Raid we were doing later that evening, or the Papyrus I needed for my limit break, or even that Heritage quest I was doing in EQ2 that took hours to complete.

Nothing has and sadly I doubt ever will give me enjoyment like those 3 ever again.

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Soooo many games, so many hours gone.

The all time leaders with 2000+ hours each:

EQ2
    GW2
    SWTOR

Civ III
    Civ IV
    Heroes of Might and Magic III
    Master of Orion II
    Minecraft
    Morrowind
    Neverwinter Nights
    X-Com - the real one from 1994

The really enjoyed list, but less hours each:

Almost all of the D&D games from 1998 to 2009 SSI, Westwood Studios, Dreamforge, Black Isle Studios, and Bioware.

Borderlands 1,2
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Frontier, Elite 2
    Half Life 1,2
    Halo 1
    Mass Effect 1,2
    Syndicate
    The Secret World
    Warlords 1,2,3
    X-com: Enemy Unknown

And the ones I don't usually tell people about (I have 3 girls - that's my story and I'm sticking to it):

Animal Crossing series
    Harvest Moon series
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I have spent more than a year, and in some cases several years, playing the following titles:

Planetside 1.  I gave this game two years of my life prior to discovering EVE Online.  I know it's a weird jump to go from an MMOFPS to an MMOG with as much of a steep hill to climb as it is.

EVE Online.  Once you play this game for more than a year, then it's hard to walk away.  There's just so much SP involvement.  All of which has been wiped away by ISK and injectors now, so I guess I really shouldn't have a problem walking away anymore if I don't like it.  They certainly solved the problem of time and value investment in a character with injectors.  I no longer feel subjugated by the time I spent molding the perfect character for 13 years.

Baldur's Gate I and II.  This was the pinnacle of BioWare if you ask me.  Nothing else quite reached this level of entertainment.  The graphics got better in their games, but the stories were more on rails and the characters were never as fleshed out again.  I'll just say that, for me, nothing else they ever made after this had the same level of replayability.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.  There's a good damn reason they're re-releasing this game and it's because it's also the pinnacle of the series.  Everything about this installment of the CoD universe was done right.  The weapons, the maps (best FPS maps EVER), the achievements, the killstreaks which were fun but not game ruining.  I spent at least a year playing this weekly.

Skyrim.  The modding scene for this entry in the ES lineup has been absolutely mind blowing.  I've played through the game a dozen times and each time had a completely different game experience thanks to the efforts of the modding community.

Dawn of War.  No, not DoW II, which I didn't like much at all.  DoW I was RTS done perfectly if you ask me. It was done perfectly because it took the individual flavors of each of the 40k armies and insisted that they play the way they were written.  Orks and Imperial Guard play entirely differently and that makes joining a PVP match incredibly fun as you have to play differently to match each type of enemy.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    edited May 2016
    Fallout series
    Halflife series
    Diablo Series
    Elder Scrolls

Not in that order :P

*Hate when I ferget one or two

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    edited May 2016
    I have logged over 15000 hours in SWG and EVE. I would still play SWG right now even with the old graphics if it were still out (yes I play the emu's they are not the same). As for eve well it was a great run just short of 9 years for me but the game is headed in a path I will not follow.....now I'm mmoless lol

Elder Scrolls (any of them)

FPS games I use to love old COD old Battlefields

Loved me some Diablo 1/2

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited May 2016
    Consoles: Dragon Age (series), Mass Effect (series, but not counting last 10 minutes of 3), Shadows of Mordor, Gears of War (series), Red Dead Redemption

Computer MMOs: Tabula Rasa (never forget!), World of Warcraft, City of Heroes/Villains, Asheron's Call, Earth and Beyond (also, never forget!)

Honorable Mentions: Everquest 2, Ultima Online, Horizons: Empires of Istaria

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2016
    1) FFXI (My play time was around 2k days if I remember correctly)
    2) Ragnarok Online
    3) Diablo II
    4) WoW
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited May 2016
    Asherons Call,Runescape,WoW,FFXIV,H1Z1
    Probably more but shit I cant remember them all give me a break lol. And im only trying to think of the ones that gave me 200+ hrs.
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Team Fortress 2 
    Tap Titans
    Dragon Encounter
    Fallout 4
    Dark Souls series
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Star Trek Online, Gw2, DAOC, SGW COV-COV.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited May 2016
    The game that gave me the most hours of fun was Asherons Call and Anarchy Online, World of Warcraft Vanilla, Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of The Rings Online .
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Star Wars Galaxies
    World of Warcraft
    Star Wars : Rebellion
    Total War (entire franchise)

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited May 2016
    GW2 by a pretty wide margin. I was an avid WvW and sPvP player from beta until HoT launched (RIP). The PvE was terrible and the balance team should have been fired in early 2013, then rehired just so they could be extra strength fired again, but the great combat system kept my attention for 4k+ hours and I can't think of any game that came close to it in terms of value for your money.

Second closest would be a toss up between Warhammer Online and Shadowbane at around 1500-2k hours each. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    No. 1 by far is City if Heroes, more than double the time of the next one, and I played Tribes/Tribes 2 for over three years!  Many good memories from this game, and easily the game I miss the most.
    Tribes & Tribes 2
    Mechwarrior 4 and Mech 4: Mercs
    EQ2
    DCUO
    SW:TOR
    Planetside
    Unreal Tournament 2003

Nothing else was beyond a year.  All of the above listed I played for at least a year, and if I played them at least a year, I had a lot of good times!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Honorable mention to the plethora of flight games I played; starting with ATF Gold and USNF, going to EF2000 (great game) Falcon 4.0, Freespace, Freespace 2, Independence War, F/A-18 Hornet 3.0 and Hornet: Korea, Lockon: MAC and probably a half dozen or so I don't remember.  I did not play any of them for over a year, though...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    MMORPG

Asheron's Call 1 -  at 4 years played I always thought that was pretty hardcore. But I'm a pussy compared to some of you guys

Uncharted Waters Online - honorable mention at around 2 years played.

OTHER

Micro Stakes Online Poker - been playing for around 12 years now, and still going. I probably rake in an impressive average of $2 an hour or so, but all those years of playing for bitcoin (when they were first introduced, and the price was low) actually ended up putting a pretty nice wad in my retirement account. What a fluke.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    EVE Online > World of Warcraft > Guild Wars 1

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I'm glad to see people mention Planetside 1.

I'm going to list only MMORPG because this list would be too long.

1. Planetside - 9 years, well over 3000 hours
    2. Guild Wars - 5 years, probably near 1000 hours
    3. World of Warcraft - played off and on since Burning Crusade, maybe 1500 hours or so.
    4. GW2 - Played since release, about 1200 hours

Some other GREAT games that are now shut down were:

1. The Chronicles of Spellborn - absolutely amazing and completely under rated.  Loved every moment of it.
    2. Star Wars Galaxies - came in late for this one.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Crikey, how far back can we go?

The first game that I really enjoyed playing, that kept me occupied for many a wasted hour wasn't an MMO at all. It was Dungeon Master on my old Atart ST.

With MMO's, the only one that really kept me happy for long was City of Heroes. I played that for five years. I lasted a couple of years playing LOTRO but the rest I've tried have all been a bit of a washout tbh. The best of the modern ones, for me, have been ESO and TERA but even they feel lacklustre to some extent. The excitement that was evident in CoH just isn't there in more modern games...they look far better obviously but there's something missing.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    470 days of time played in WoW
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    Most hours of enjoyment?

Tricky question since time played is not the same especially for games that have time sinks: waiting for a boat so you fished; the huge distances you travelled; seemingly endless failed crafting attempts to level up; the mob grind. Now that can generate a sense of achievement but enjoyment ... tricky.

The more enjoyable experiences are probably all games that we play less. Games that offer 20 or 50 or 100 hours of "intense" entertainment. Second run through - if there is a second run through - less so.

So its tricky and if I had to pick one it wouldn't even be an mmo for the above reason.

When it comes to mmos though ...... probably CoH. Not number 1 when it comes to time played though. And for non-mmos .... probably Civ overall but AoE and CKII are up there as well
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    So what is the game or games that have given you the most hours of fun? Even if it is not an MMO.

A few of mine would be

Lineage
    Asheron's Call
    EQ2
    Morrowind
    Gothic 2
    Icewind Dale Series
    Ravenloft
    Far Cry 2 and 4
    NWN
    Diablo 2
    Ragnarok Online

Ultima online
    Everquest
    Vanguard
    Wasteland
    Wasteland 2
    Pillars of Eternity
    Smite

• FrekFrek Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I sunk years in DAOC, pretty much walked away from hardcore MMO playtime after that. I still occasionally pick up an MMO but I intentionally limit my playtime to just 1 night/week. As far as total time spent I'm pretty sure DAOC has the most for me by a longshot.

Outside of MMO's:

TES IV - I'm sure I'm probably somewhere around 3000 hours. I basically played this on and off from 2006 till they released V.

TES V - Steam says 764 hours, that seems a little low to me, maybe it's not counting the offline hours I played.

Anything I've played recently has been under 100 hours.

Pretty sure nothing is going to hold my long term attention until TES VI comes out, whenever that will be.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Only counting over 500 hours I'll get a pretty short list:

Lineage II (over 4000 hours)
    Lord of the Rings online (close to 2000 hours)
    EverQuest II (around 1000 hours)
    Black Desert online (roughly 600 hours)

...and that's the list...

Also sad to mention that the first 3 were dropped by me shortly after they went from subscription to 'Free2Play' because of their limitations in the 'free play' and/or Pay2Win mechanics, while BDO I dropped after I kinda got to a burn out and never returned when all the hacking & duping came to light...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    6 years of EVE-Online, more hours than I'd care to count ! :D 

My EVE time probably exceeds all my other MMO time combined.

Only thing that comes close is my 2700 hours in War Thunder, lmao..