Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And another Youtuber quits

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited May 2016 in Black Desert Online
No surprise here, he wants to play other games; but his complaints echo a lot of what others say here and on other forums, including the official forums. Is the game doomed for those who strive to hit max OP gear and level? Is this a better game if you can force yourself to play it casually?

and another, though never heard of this guy. Seems like a trend. Eitherway it's funny cause I'm sure they take their little fanbase with them. xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Post edited by Tiller on

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    The video guy lost me when he said it's the greatest mmo since WoW. Couldn't take anything else seriously after that.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    JudgeUK said:
    The video guy lost me when he said it's the greatest mmo since WoW. Couldn't take anything else seriously after that.
    lmao yeah he used to only stream WoW. This is the generation old school gamers are up against. WoW was the first MMO for lots of these youtubers.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    JudgeUK said:
    What would you view as the best MMORPG since WOW?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2016
    Distopia said:
    JudgeUK said:
    I liked FFXI more than wow, well before the downfall after abyssea landed. Only reason FFXI didn't do well against WoW was because SE was cheap on advertisement vs Blizzard. Who isn't gonna wanna play a game that Chuck Norris is playing?!?!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Albatroes said:
    Distopia said:
    JudgeUK said:
    I liked FFXI more than wow, well before the downfall after abyssea landed.
    I like drying paint more than WOW :P, also like SWG more, but it was before WOW. Since WOW, I'd have to say BD is one of the better MMOs I've tried. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited May 2016
    I tried watching the full video but till halfway through he's not complaining about BDO perse but about mmos in general.

It's like the previous article we had on BDO and time. He doesn't have enough time to play the game and record videos and compared his fun time to instead playing an fps game or darksouls.

Also the complaining on the mediah update is laughable. I mean seriously, he's complaining the game got updated and his +15 gear was no longer top tier. If you check their website you'd know when updates are about to come.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Distopia said:
    Albatroes said:
    Distopia said:
    JudgeUK said:
    I liked FFXI more than wow, well before the downfall after abyssea landed.
    I like drying paint more than WOW :P, also like SWG more, but it was before WOW. Since WOW, I'd have to say BD is one of the better MMOs I've tried. 
    I played a lot of MMORPGS post WOW and none outside of EVE (a pre-WOW title) held my interest for more than 3 months.

So while I haven't played BDO I do think its a pretty low bar it had to hurdle.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited May 2016
    People just want the perfect game. Nobody judges FPS, or MOBAs as strictly, because they can quit anytime and call it a loss. With an MMO you lose hours and hours of your life, so you critique and critique. You'll never find a game that hits all of your points, not unless you know what you are doing with game design and make your own. 

You will never get that "first time" back. Stop trying and appreciate what each game brings to the table.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384

This is MMOs nowadays. Very few are fun past a month or 2 now. BDO is no exception, as a matter of fact it s one of the worst in a long while, IMO.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    That guy is pissed because BDO got to him for 500 euros.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited May 2016
    The problem is BDO is at its core a pvp centered game and to stay competitive you need to spend a massive amount of time doing shit thats not fun due to RNG. I agree with every statement this guy made. And to reply to JDis25, sure you can man its just not going to be a buy to play or free to play game, these things arent said about games with $15 a month subs. They have strayed away from the "perfect MMO".
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Distopia said:
    JudgeUK said:
    For me? Hard to say (I know this wasn't directed at me).

WoW kept my attention more than the rest. But others were like the star that shines too bright. So I left them after a year or so. BDO is fun to me though. No sub makes it easy to play too :D

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Of course players aren't going to put up with anything when they have no emotional attachment to MMO's they play now. I'm not defending BDO in any way, but we put up with way more crap back in the day and we stuck it out because we were invested in the game and the people we played with. That's no longer the way of the MMO world so we'll have 3 monthers from here on out. Get used to it.
  • KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Bloodaxes said:
    I tried watching the full video but till halfway through he's not complaining about BDO perse but about mmos in general.

It's like the previous article we had on BDO and time. He doesn't have enough time to play the game and record videos and compared his fun time to instead playing an fps game or darksouls.

Also the complaining on the mediah update is laughable. I mean seriously, he's complaining the game got updated and his +15 gear was no longer top tier. If you check their website you'd know when updates are about to come.
    He's complaining about his gear no longer being top tier after a fairly big update and he played WoW before?  Yeah that makes him lose any if not all credibility in my book...
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    All these bash BDO threads is getting boring...

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    edited May 2016
    My favorite mmo of all times was SWG. I have been playing BDO since closed beta, but I have to say I am losing interest. Until game developers can embrace different play styles (pvp, pve, etc.) games will just be niche games and people will lose interest. I loved SWG, cause when I felt like pvping i would flag up and pvp, when I wanted to grind for jedi or just hang out as my dancer in a cantina I could do that too. Games need more variety these days. I am still looking for that ultimate sandbox experience that doesn't force full loot or pvp or just be pve.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    All these bash BDO threads is getting boring...
    Should be expected, a lot of players that were drawn in by the robust PvE features are hitting 50 and seeing that the game is not really designed to cater to them.  Well, actually it kinda was but Daum decided to nerf Karma penalties into the ground to cater more fully to PvP players.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited May 2016
    I didnt even last to the pvp bro the RNG and everything else ruined it for me personally
    especially that crap shop and the fact you look the same forever without paying cash.
    I like to see and feel my advancement and BDO does a really bad job at giving that when everyone looks exactly the same. I mean the game feels like it was created by a team of salesmen and not development professionals. im glad people are liking it though because thats less shitty players I have to deal with in other games. Not only that im just glad to not have to deal with the hackers, I have quite a few friends who have quit due to this.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Kyarra said:
    My favorite mmo of all times was SWG. I have been playing BDO since closed beta, but I have to say I am losing interest. Until game developers can embrace different play styles (pvp, pve, etc.) games will just be niche games and people will lose interest. I loved SWG, cause when I felt like pvping i would flag up and pvp, when I wanted to grind for jedi or just hang out as my dancer in a cantina I could do that too. Games need more variety these days. I am still looking for that ultimate sandbox experience that doesn't force full loot or pvp or just be pve.
    Yeah no developer will ever get the concept of what SWG did. It would have been perfect had they added some decent questing systems without a full revamp to the damn game...twice.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited May 2016
    I was thinking about starting this game up with some old guildies, but this vid honestly makes me not want to play. I just don't want to sink the hours into it.

I've pretty much now gotten to the point where I'm done with MMORPG pvp, even in ESO. I will enjoy games for the questing and other pve or not at all. For my pvp, I will go to fps or other types of shooters. I don't have time for the gear grinds, min-maxing, and all that stuff any more. Certainly not for the p2w.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    JudgeUK said:
    You can't give up on something over someone's opinion.  Give up in frustration when they get the facts wrong.  Otherwise you're going to be one of those people who needs safe spaces and avoiding trigger words a decade from now.
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Kyleran said:

I played a lot of MMORPGS post WOW and none outside of EVE (a pre-WOW title) held my interest for more than 3 months.

So while I haven't played BDO I do think its a pretty low bar it had to hurdle.  ;)
    You only post about Eve and haven't played the game in question, so why make a post at all?
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    DMKano said:
    d_20 said:
    I was thinking about starting this game up with some old guildies, but this vid honestly makes me not want to play. I just don't want to sink the hours into it.

This is precisely the veteran MMORPG gamer conundrum: 

Want to play old school type MMORPGs where everything was much slower paced, no fast travel, and slow leveling - but don't want a huge time investment ;)

You can't really have it both - the HUGE time sink was a core part of old school MMORPGs - you remove that and you kill what made them great.

But - the playerbase has changed - the 100million + online gamers that play short session team based games (like online shooters, or MOBAs) are just such an overwhelming % of the overall online gamer playerbase that MMORPGs (which were niche to begin with) have become a niche within a niche.

It is no coincidence that short play session gameplay is all the rage right now - look at upcoming Overwatch, Battleborn, or recent Division, - the developers are catering to "I want to be able to jump in for 15-20min and jump out if I wish" 

The % of playerbase whose gameplay session is hours and hours each night is a fraction of a fraction of a % that they've fallen off the charts - I doubt that major video game companies are even considering the old school veteran MMORPG players anymore as they are not even registering on reports anymore.

I absolutely agree with you DMKano. I'm not saying to take the grind away. I'm saying I've come to realize I personally don't have time for *competitive* grind anymore -- the video the OP linked really hit that point home for me. I've realized I'm actually not waiting for that One Great and Perfect Game to come along anymore. It's a relief, actually.

Now that I'm an old fart, I just want to play and take my time. I love ESO's content (Wrothgar, TG, and looking forward to Dark Brotherhood). I know it's not a great game in the sense of the traditional MMORPG. But it's great for older casual gamers who like pve and want to smell the roses along the way without any pressure.

I'm not saying that's good or that's the direction the genre should be heading at all. I've changed. I'm just glad this video helped me realize BDO is not for me. I don't say BDO is good or bad.

Definitely, I fit the category of short play game session that you described. I don't mind a huge time investment, but I don't want to feel rushed or like I have to be competitive. Those days are over for me. Except for the FPS games ;) Even though I've slowed down *a little.*

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Well that's the problem right there, MMOs shouldn't just be about trying max out and gain all the OP gear. If BD did that it would just be like any other MMO we've had over the past several years. Tbh I think it's fine if it's doomed for that kind of play-style, we have so many game like that already. It's nice to have a game the rewards a player for putting in time and effort, miss those types of games, feel more connected to the toon and world.